News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed blues

Started by JJAGUNS, August 14, 2011, 10:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJAGUNS

Been feeling the urge to make it to a shoot for some time now, due to current work situation,IE wife works in Houston and me and the kids are here. I've been missing shooting something fierce. Well I found a great way to keep the skills sharp with out having to leave the house. Aguila the ammo maker sells ammo called super colibri. It looks like a long case with a 20gr bullet over the primer only. I put 100rds down range in the back yard today, and I feel great. The only cure for the shooting blues is sending lead down range. I started the day with my Gamo air rifle and while fun its just not the same, something about the smell of burnt powder even if its just from a primer. So I broke out the Mossberg 44 and a box of colibri's and was having a blast. Have plans for setting up a shoot at the house, talked to a few friends and kicked out the idea of having colibri shoots in the back yard. It should be a real challenge since a bolt gun is king with these, wont cycle a semi, so everyone will be on the same playing field for the most part. Semi guys will have to rack the bolt after every shot. They may have a slight advantage. The great thing about these is there is basically zero noise, the sound of the bullet impacting is louder then the discharge. Although its not the same thing, this will have to fill my appleseed void for the time being. Hopefully I can get some of my shooting buddies to get of the couch and go to some shoots even if I can't. So to all the guys from Augusta, and SC I hope to see you on the trail soon, and if not I hope to be sending some shooters your way.

Piker

Will the Super Colibri cycle the bolt in a 10/22? I'd invite you to shoot with me, but Taylorsville might be a little out of your way.  :(
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

iron pony

They will not cycle or even load from the mag of a 10/22.  I load them one at a time using small needle nose pliers.. Ive killed squirrels, rabbits and a PITA crow...  They are accurate and deadly in a 10/22 out to 30-40 yards
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Piker

Quote from: iron pony on August 20, 2011, 12:26:36 AM
They will not cycle or even load from the mag of a 10/22.  I load them one at a time using small needle nose pliers.. Ive killed squirrels, rabbits and a PITA crow...  They are accurate and deadly in a 10/22 out to 30-40 yards

That is good to know, the CCI 22lr shotshell loads with partially cycle the bolt and this is way worse than not cycling at all.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

dwarven1

The Super Colibri loads won't cycle ANYTHING that I'm aware of. I've tried them in a Ruger Mark I, II and a Beretta 21A (in addition to the rifles). Super quiet, though, and great for teaching a new shooter (with a revolver or a bolt gun) if they're at all sensitive to noise.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON