News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Atlanta IN, Aug 6-7

Started by yellowhousejake, August 09, 2011, 01:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

What a great weekend. Busy and tripping over new IITs and AC getting trained. Wind rolling canopies, rain soaking shooters, and lightning bringing everything to a stop.

Through it all our students persevered, learned, and improved.

Don, Kate, Diana, and Karla, you were all fantastic students. Willing to listen and apply what we taught, always smiling, always ready to go for another square or another AQT. I enjoyed the time on the line we spent together

You are made great improvement and it showed not just in your shooting, but in your ability to handle your rifles. Remember to practice what we taught, work on the things we showed you, and come back again to give it another try.

Let's see if we can get some pictures posted!

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

El Conquistador

I had a great time for my first appleseed - lots of fun and I think I learned a little bit too. 

You instructors were great - lots of hands on help and advice.  I really appreciated your efforts.   Thanks to you all.

Now I just need to convince my wife that a Garand is the perfect LTR for the next appleseed. ;)

brianheeter

Great job Diana, Kate, Karla and ...El Conquistador (Don)!  You all showed up with the most important thing:  a teachable attitude.  It was a pleasure to meet you all.  I hope to see you on the line again very soon.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

AuntieBellum

El Conquistador, an absolute pleasure to have you on the line with us this weekend.  I see no reason at all why your wife wouldn't agree that a Garand is the perfect LTR.  In fact, you should buy two and bring her with you.   ;)  No, I don't offer babysitting services, but I can help you come up with lots of bribes for family and friends!   ;D

Karla and Diane - it was so great to have you both on the line on Saturday.  Karla, you did a great job.  You came so very far on Saturday.  You learned how to work the rifle you brought...and then someone else's...and then someone else's!  You made huge strides, and I hope to see you again soon.  Diane, I know we didn't get you shooting on Sunday, but thank you for being such a willing participant both days.  Kate seemed to have an awesome time, and I absolutely look forward to working with you again Kate.  Just remember, let me and HQ know when you're coming next.   O0

And it was really just a fantastic weekend for so many reasons.  Amazing.  Thank you, each and every one of you.  And remember, it's time for that 7th step.  Tell your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, classmates, and remind them of our shared American heritage.  Bring them, we'll tell them the story.  And have some fun sending lead downrange.   ^:)^  See you all again soon.

And a BIG thanks to Sarah, our newest Blue Hat, for taking pictures on Saturday!

There must be something important going on over there:

Of course - it's YHJ teaching the Six Steps to Firing the Shot:

Appleseed just makes people happy:

Time to FIRE!  (Yes, as soon as YHJ gets his ears on.)

Inches, Minutes, and Clicks - GO!

Hmmm...rifle or guitar?  What do you think?

Now who are they listening to?

It's HQ's fantastic 1st strike!

Yep, he's a shoot boss, alright.   ;)

First shots.

Kate hammers on some squares.

And El Conquistador (you make me think a lot by picking a hard name to spell) send rounds toward an AQT.

You might think this is HQ's model pose.  We all know that it's her really annoyed and we better hurry up quick pose.   @)

This is how you load it...

And how you shoot it...

I think she's got it.

He's got it, too.

The joy of an M1 Garand.  Awesome.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

SPQR

What a fun shoot.  Did anybody noticed how when it started raining the instructors scrambled to get on the line so they could shoot in the rain?  I noticed how Don and Kate persevered!  Great job!  A shoot that was sparsely populated deserves TONS of pictures.

Hey these slings are for more than hanging laundry!

Standing/Offhand Steady Hold Factor Number 13: Keep HQ directly under the rifle.
(Alternate Caption: HQ perfects her "Be mean at all times and no one will ask me questions" routine!)

IIT Training Session:  The look on my face says "Rimshot, is this discussion on key components to IMC doing enough to prepare these guys for successful PoI?"  Unseen is Rimshot's expression, which said, "I am thinking pizza for dinner."

Hey we're a shootin!

Kate zeroes in

Yellerhouse shows his protege the "Haughty Shoot Boss Arms Crossed"

Could instructing be more fulfilling than shooting?  Yes, Virginia Brian, there is a Santa Clause.

NPOA is what gives a Marksman his power.  It surrounds us, penetrates us.  It binds the galaxy together.

Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you. - Langston Hughes

Instructors in the rain.  (HQ got down and shot a 238 with no preparation or practice.  Rack grade rifle, rack grade ammo.  Surely even the Great Mustache himself can be pleased with those results.  >:D)

Lets put on some hats!

AB brings home the gravity of the 3rd Strike to the shooters.

This is the moment when Yellowhousejake opened the trunk and realized that we bought him a Garand.

This is the moment when he couldn't figure out how to get it out of the trunk.  It took a Red Hat and two Orange Hats to figure it out for him.  State Coordinators...Sheesh.

Aw shucks

Gee fellas...

That sure is swell...

What does he do?  He shares.

The result?

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

stagehand steve

Quote from: AuntieBellum on August 09, 2011, 10:46:46 PM
The joy of an M1 Garand.  Awesome.

This picture is great!  The joy on her face makes it all worthwhile.   ^:)^

-ss
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

Mudcat

Great pics! Looks like another great Hoosier shoot!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

HQ

I really don't understand where I'm getting this rep from!?!  I'm not always grumpy!

But seriously - this was a great shoot.  I really enjoyed meeting each and every shooter and really hope that I'll get to work with you all again sometime soon.  Kate you are right there - I'm looking forward to see you getting your patch!

SPQR hijacked my pictures, but I'll go through again and see if I can find any he missed.  It really was a great weekend.  Thank you to EVERYONE who helped make it happen!

Niecie

What an amazing shoot! I just finished editing 36 pics to prove it, and low and behold, there are a ton already posted!

I really enjoyed meeting Kate, Karla, Diane, and El Conquistador ;D You all made such amazing progress and I can't wait to see you ALL on the line again soon.

A special thanks and welcome to our newest blue hat, Sarah. She has been doing the job for a while, and she will be a great blue hat fo Indiana.

This weekend was SO special and I thank you all for making dreams come true and and making it possible to put the most amazing smile on a young girl's face. 

Thank you all,

Niecie
Here are a couple of other photos....
A proud Dad

Getting the goods

Putting lessons to Work

Great Form

What have we learned this weekend?

...getting ready to give History is a lot of work ::)

...SPQR might think he is handsome. but I am line boss ~~:)

Bill of Rights

Great weekend, great shooters, and great pictures!
While 7th Stepper and I could not stay as long as we wanted to, I was impressed by what I saw in the time I was there. Sounds like we've got some folks knocking hard on that Rifleman door... Can't wait to see you folks back again soon!

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

kate

Shooting with you guys was the most fun ever!!!! I'm so glad that I got to come for the second day, shooting in the rain was great! I'm so happy that I got to meet you guys and learn from you. The history lessons were spectacular and I hope to get to hear them again sometime soon... maybe this weekend if I can get my mother to take me  :)   I don't think I will ever get tired of listening to the history of April 19, 1775. I really enjoyed my Appleseed experience and I know my mom did too. Special thanks to yellowhousejake for letting me shoot his M1 garand!!!  ;D  !!!  My mother and uncle plan to get us both a garand!  :D   With any luck at all, I can get my uncle to come to a shoot sometime in the near future. I know he would love it, I certainly did!  Hoping to make it out to the 13-14 shoot. Maybe see you guys there!     :---   [had to include this smiley at the end because it made me laugh  **)  ]

I'll bring cookies!!  ;D

hawkhavn

Kate,

It was an honor having you both on the line with us, bring everyone you can out next time!

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

AuntieBellum

Kate, I would LOVE to see you at Lake Village this weekend!!!  We'll have a blast.  It's looking to be a potentially wet on Saturday and wonderfully cool all weekend - perfect for shooting.  Especially since you now know how to get the water out of your rifle!   O0   

You'll also get to hear different instructors give the history, which is always fun since everyone has just a little different style.  And .5 will be there - she's the other instructor HQ and I were telling you about.  Oh my goodness, I can't wait.   ^:)^

Quote from: kate on August 10, 2011, 09:29:18 PM
Shooting with you guys was the most fun ever!!!! I'm so glad that I got to come for the second day, shooting in the rain was great! I'm so happy that I got to meet you guys and learn from you. The history lessons were spectacular and I hope to get to hear them again sometime soon... maybe this weekend if I can get my mother to take me  :)   I don't think I will ever get tired of listening to the history of April 19, 1775. I really enjoyed my Appleseed experience and I know my mom did too. Special thanks to yellowhousejake for letting me shoot his M1 garand!!!  ;D  !!!  My mother and uncle plan to get us both a garand!  :D   With any luck at all, I can get my uncle to come to a shoot sometime in the near future. I know he would love it, I certainly did!  Hoping to make it out to the 13-14 shoot. Maybe see you guys there!     :---   [had to include this smiley at the end because it made me laugh  **)  ]

I'll bring cookies!!  ;D
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Kate, you and your Mom were a joy to have on the line. You are very welcome for the use of the M1, everyone should get the chance to fire one.

The pictures tell the story, you and Don both did very well and fired it like pros, targets looked real good too!

So, next time, can I shoot your M1?   ..:..

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

HQ

Kate,

I'm so glad you had fun.  I must say - I think the instructors were just as excited as you were when you showed up on Sunday!!!  It was such a delight to see you so excited throughout both days.  I can't wait to see you on the line again!