News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, AK Appleseed AAR- July 30-31, 2011

Started by Camljr, August 02, 2011, 02:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

Placeholder for Alaska Appleseed...

We just flew back from Alaska, and boy, are our arms tired....  :o

It was hard to get any sleep when the sun stays up until midnight. $$-0

Great State, great people! :bow:

Quick post: 12 new riflemen, AND women, 8 new orange hats taken.   O0

Alaska has taken Appleseed by the ANTLERS and is running with it!!!

PICS ADDED!!!
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

bob 210

Alaska now has a special place in my heart. From the beautiful scenery, the people, the wildlife....but above all else, the people! I met some very special people this past week that not only have a special place in my memories, but I hope will be a very important part of my future and the future of the Alaska Appleseed Program....but more on that later.

Thursday began our Free Appleseed event for the military and their families. We had 17 folks attend, mostly families, and began with our first Redcoat target.   

We not only held a free Appleseed for the Military and their families and a regulation weekend Appleseed, but we were blessed to be able to attend a form of Libraryseed while we were in town.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

hawkhavn

HUZZAH! Cannot wait to hear the details, though it doesn't sound like you planted seeds as much as transplanted saplings!

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

ItsanSKS

There are many memorable moments that occur within ones own life, that leave an indelible mark upon the soul.  My experience at the inaugural Alaska Appleseed has been such an event.  Just as sure as we few instructors made an impact upon the many students who came to learn of our shared History and Heritage, those hardy souls, with hearts of gold, and a welcoming attitude, have left their mark upon me. 

It was once said that a man cannot change Alaska, but that Alaska will change a man.   Alaska, and its people, have certainly changed me.

This event was the culmination of a ton of work, performed mostly in the background, by people who care not for recognition.  They know who they are, though, and it is my sincerest hope that they be fully cognizant of the impact their efforts have made. 

Prior to signing up for this event as an instructor, I had always wanted to travel to Alaska, the last frontier.  Now, having been there, having worked with the best people on earth, I know that I will not be satisfied until I return, for good. 

There were many firsts accomplished during this past week in Alaska:

• First Appleseed in Alaska
  • First Alaskan Military Rifleman
  • First Alaskan Civilian Rifleman
  • First Alaskan Riflewoman
  • First Alaskan IIT
  • First Alaskan Junior Rifleman
  • First Alaskan Library Seed
  • First Alaskan Rifle Family, a Mother/Daughter duo

I am proud to have played a part in this event, and look forward to the day when I can return.  Though my drivers license says "Florida Resident", I now know that I am an Alaskan at heart.

There were MANY pictures taken during this event, and I look forward to seeing them. 

Those of you who attended this event, please, don't be shy- post up your thoughts and feelings about the event.  The only pay we instructors get is knowing that we've made an impact. 

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

ItsanSKS

Quote from: hawkhavn on August 02, 2011, 07:12:32 PM
HUZZAH! Cannot wait to hear the details, though it doesn't sound like you planted seeds as much as transplanted saplings!

HH

hawk, it would be closer to say that we planted a few seeds, and saw, before our very own eyes, a whole orchard spring up, with those trees already bearing fruit!  The ground in Alaska is fertile, indeed!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Josh Holloway

Now you guys are making me emotional  :'(

I had a feeling beforehand that this was going to wind up being something really special.. and I underestimated it at that.

Memorable moments (by no means all-inclusive): 
-V's sling explanation (snit)
-Several punctuated moments during Bob's powerful delivery at the Libraryseed.  We were riveted.
-ASMinuteman taking the pressure off a father participant by taking this man's two sons under his wing.
-All of the 'first person' re-enactments.  ASMinuteman,  SS, LLP, Mr Pete.
-The time ItsAnSKS took with me at the KD range.  Thank you.
-ASMinuteman's period props.
-Camljr's safety line dance.
-"WHO'S RIFLE IS THIS!?!?"

The instructor cadre were among the finest people I've met.  Thanks to each of you for your commitment to this cause and for introducing us to it this last weekend.  Your enthusiasm is apparent and infectious.

We Alaskans hope to do the program proud.

Someone hurry up with the pics!!
"A Republic-- if you can keep it"

Mr Pete

When I go to Hawaii I am welcomed by family and friends, my heart is filled and I truly feel at home.  I had that same feeling in Alaska among people I had never met before.       

Alaskans have the same spirit and heart as that of the colonists.  Each individual displayed those characteristically American qualities of independence, community and responsibility.

I have been forever changed by the people of Alaska and I hope that in dark and difficult times I will remember their strength, attitude and fellowship.

Words would only sully the experience and so I say that everybody should go and understand for themselves Alaska's warmth which comes from the hearts of its people, some of the most inspiring souls I have ever met.

-Peter

p.s.  I would vote for Senator (or President) Blackstone any day of the week!
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mooseneck

I don't know where to start. I had great expectations of this event for myself and my family, but they were exceeded from the moment my wife, youngest daughter and I showed up Saturday morning. All instructors were both professional and kind, making us feel right at home from the start. I've been a member at Birchwood for many years, but have never had the pleasure being involved in an event like this. I've been shooting since I was about 6, and I still learned A LOT. I cannot recommend this organization and event (RWVA and the Appleseed Project) enough. I've just finished registering for the October Appleseed so that I can attend once more, this time with my older daughter and her friend that wants to learn to shoot. I've also joined the RWVA...Huzzah! I cannot say thank you enough. Being disabled (serious neck and nerve injury -  beware of Bullwinkle), all of the instructors were most accommodating, and made me feel like any of the other folks attending. I look forward to getting that Rifleman patch next time, but until then, I'll be putting into practice all that I learned (already have a target in the hallway for dry firing - why didn't I think of that after 50+ years?) while shooting at the range. One important note...I will be installing Tech Sights on my 10/22s. I should have done it long ago, but I just kept putting it off. I think that they will help immensely. I've always enjoyed the challenge of iron sights, but as these old eyes get worse with age (I've worn glasses since I was 5 and my vision isn't improving - with age comes wisdom, but unfortunately not better eyesight), good sights, like a good scope, are worth the extra bucks. I look forward to seeing all of you in October, and if you need any help, just let me know...Bob "Mooseneck" O
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."

Roland

Awesome! 8 new IITs has to be the most I've seen on an AAR. I hope I can make up there to a shoot eventually, I'm not too far off, hint hint.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

SavageShootr

I would like to take this opportunity to Thank my new friends. So many people, so little time. All those I met are wonderful people. Thank You ALL for coming out to get in touch with your heritage.

I could never had imagined that anyone would be as kind as the people that were at the 1st Alaska Appleseed. The caliber of people I met at the four days on the line and the one evening spent at the Library (Church) seed.

Mooseneck. Welcome to the forum. Your whole family had a great attitude. Thank You for the fish.

Jill. Thank You for everything.

Gaye, Hang in there. You have the heart of a Rifleman. The score will come in time.

Congratulations to all the new Riflemen.

Welcome to all the new IITs. Thanks for stepping up!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

Rafn

Great feedback from the event - based on what I'm hearing at the gun shops I've stopped at.  A fair number of people who wanted to attend but had other commitments (last weekend of dipnetting or family in town usually).  I've had a request for a full page flyer to post on the cop shop's bulletin board, so interest is definitely building.  (Bob210, if you can send me a copy of the file you used for the back side, I can print them here.)

I've bob210's or asminuteman's bore checker - took it to the dinner to return it, but became too distracted.  Can mail it, just need to know to whom.  Found an extra 1 1/4" sling swivel when cleaning the car - on the hood no less.  If you're short let me know.

Haven't had time to go through the cameras yet - will do so Saturday AM.

Josh Holloway

RFAFN:
I'm storing a bunch of stuff (flags, targets, spray paints, etc) for the next shoot here.  That bore checker could just go with that stuff if they wanted (or you hang on to it until then).

I have a few full size posters left.. like 20"X30" size.. if you think of any gun shops or locations that might want to hang those.

Bob left me with quite a few flyers and tri-folds for the OCT shoot.  I'd be happy for help getting those out.
Good idea printing locally.. shipping was expensive on those flyers!

Kind regards, Josh
"A Republic-- if you can keep it"

SavageShootr

Hey Josh.

The RM asked for 2 more posters. Someone really liked the first one they placed in the display case. That is why she put a lock on the display after placing the second one in it. If you have the opportunity, could you get one to them?

Thanks!

Also. Looks like in my shortened individual thanks I did not thank Britt for helping with admin.

Thank You to Joe also. You know why.

RAFN  Great job.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

TN_Dadx5

Them's some mighty small pictures for such a big state...
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

TN_Dadx5

Them's some mighty small pictures for such a big state.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

asminuteman

Mr Pete

I'm following up on Ken's teasers
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

More of "Ken's selections"

Mr Pete

These are the wrong size for a locket...

DrJohn

My heartiest congratulations to the instructors who worked so hard to make Alaska's first Appleseed event such an outstanding success. Well done! And I welcome all the new Alaska Appleseeders into our growing Appleseed family. You are all my brothers and sisters and I hope I get the chance sooner or later to meet and work with you.

In Liberty,

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

asminuteman

LayloPro

Wow.....about all I can say about that week.....just WOW!!

Most everybody else has spelled it out already....above & beyond all else were the people...about 99.5% of the folks there were the absolute best of what we have to offer as Americans....
The only thing I can think to describe it as is on their license plates....
"Alaska, the last frontier".....
True enough....

And a solid reminder of who we -used- to be, before being bombarded with PC nonsense, metro-sexual thinking, and bowing & scraping became the norm here in the "lower 48".....
These folks are solidly self reliant, neighborly, gracious, well mannered, and independent folks like I haven't seen in 50+ yrs.....and while not the dinosaurs some may think them to be, there is an attraction that more than just a few of the Instructors responded to by wanting to join their ranks....AS will be -DYNAMITE- in this AO.....we responded to their like minded thinking in the same way they were surprised by us as well....

Good men & women, well met.

And the bear stories were pretty enlightening as well..... ^-^ ;D

As usual, I have "some pix's".....they tell the story far better than I can....enjoy, and I look forward to returning at some point in time soon.....as someone said, the soil there is -very- fertile.... O0 :bow: O0

Much more than "just a weekend", it was a week....how was yours?

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

We started adding RM & IIT's on Friday....there was a bit of a "head cutting contest" between a former AS attendee in Las Vegas, and an Army Ranger....fun competition, really..... O0 :bow: O0

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Last of this set....I believe we had a national first in that we had a Mom (Jill) & her 14 y.o. daughter(Abby) both shoot RM at their 1st AS.....if I'm wrong on this, please correct me, but I don't recall anybody else doing that, or hearing about it.... @)
Either way, an awesome effort by two fairly "new to shooting" gals!! O0 O0 O0

"Shoot like a girl....if ya can!!"