News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wilmington, Ohio Jul. 30/31, 2011

Started by slim, August 01, 2011, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Another hot one in Ohio!

Twenty-two Americans overcame the heat and humidity and left their couches behind to join us on the line at Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsman's Association. After a few 200 yard dashes to warm up a little more, we set out to saving the country!

Several juniors and first timers on the line and a few who were a little more experienced. Several families and plenty of new friends! Everyone ready to drink from the fire hose. (Seriously. If we would've had a fire hose I'm sure everyone would've taken a drink or two from it.)

Buckeyes proved they could double their effectiveness on the first day and hone it on the second. While we didn't see any new Riflemen at this event we did see scores improve dramatically and more importantly, we saw the fire of liberty burning brightly. (Perhaps that's why it was so hot!)

The heat (coupled with a lot of hard work and dedication) even changed one instructor's hat from Orange to RED! Everyone please join me in saying a big HUZZAH! to RPD - a man who not only knows well what he's about, but who's exemplified to those he comes in contact with how to keep that 4b and 4a connected. All of us benefit from your instruction, Rob. All of us.

A special thanks to the staff of the CCFSA, the instructors who joined us, and most importantly, those who feel no heat! Huzzah! See you on the trail next time and back here again in November.

Kick-in-the-pants

I've been pulling the bang switch on my .22 for about 16 years now and I thought I could shoot pretty good.  That is until I came this past weekend and had to do some things I've never done before, like shoot from prone or sitting positions!  Who would have thought?

All the volunteers, line judges, range officers were  top notch and really helpful.  You guys covered a lot of topics I wanted to know about or have reinforced that would have taken a long time for me to figure out on my own. 

I also wanted to say thanks to (I'm HORRIBLE at names  :wb:) the volunteer who led the Sunday morning service.  I really was hesitant to come on Sunday knowing I'd miss church and it meant a lot to me that somebody was willing to step up and lead.  (Btw- what was the name of that Bible and the quote book?)

I know that I got really frustrated throughout the second day because things just weren't coming together for me, but I also go some top notch advice on some of the things I could do to fix the problems I was having... shifting  ::)

I have already sent out the word to my relatives and my father, and hopefully in the future you guys will see me back on the firing line shooting for rifleman. 

Just for a side note, I wish we could have done the EVIL drill at least one or two more times... doing it once was frustrating.  Not getting a second try at it was worse.  Maybe what I need to do is get an MP3 of the commands so I can go to the range some time with some headphones or speakers and try it on my own.  (Is there somewhere I can get extra targets and possibly an MP3 of the officer calling out the commands?)

I would also like to thank the wonderful Red hat (  ~~:) ) for providing me with a user name   :D
~Clinton

Kick-in-the-pants

ps- If I can make it back, would it be beneficial if I brought a (civil war period) musket and bayonet for show'n tell / possibly to shoot?  Just thought it might make things more interesting for the visual learners and wondered what you thought.

Garand

The shoot was fun. It was good to finally go to a shoot where I was not freezing or wet and muddy.

RPD

Quote from: Kick-in-the-pants on August 01, 2011, 03:17:44 PM
ps- If I can make it back, would it be beneficial if I brought a (civil war period) musket and bayonet for show'n tell / possibly to shoot?  Just thought it might make things more interesting for the visual learners and wondered what you thought.

Oh, YEAH, that'd be great!
In Athens, there is a man who brings a hand made (by him) musket with bayonet.  He fires a .75 cal round and dresses in period garb.  This ALWAYS makes a very favorable impression, especially when he hands the round to people and they see the size and feel the heft of the round. 

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

Quote from: Kick-in-the-pants on August 01, 2011, 01:52:37 PM
I've been pulling the bang switch on my .22 for about 16 years now and I thought I could shoot pretty good.  That is until I came this past weekend and had to do some things I've never done before, like shoot from prone or sitting positions!  Who would have thought?

All the volunteers, line judges, range officers were  top notch and really helpful.  You guys covered a lot of topics I wanted to know about or have reinforced that would have taken a long time for me to figure out on my own. 

I also wanted to say thanks to (I'm HORRIBLE at names  :wb:) the volunteer who led the Sunday morning service.  I really was hesitant to come on Sunday knowing I'd miss church and it meant a lot to me that somebody was willing to step up and lead.  (Btw- what was the name of that Bible and the quote book?)

I know that I got really frustrated throughout the second day because things just weren't coming together for me, but I also go some top notch advice on some of the things I could do to fix the problems I was having... shifting  ::)

I have already sent out the word to my relatives and my father, and hopefully in the future you guys will see me back on the firing line shooting for rifleman. 

Just for a side note, I wish we could have done the EVIL drill at least one or two more times... doing it once was frustrating.  Not getting a second try at it was worse.  Maybe what I need to do is get an MP3 of the commands so I can go to the range some time with some headphones or speakers and try it on my own.  (Is there somewhere I can get extra targets and possibly an MP3 of the officer calling out the commands?)

I would also like to thank the wonderful Red hat (  ~~:) ) for providing me with a user name   :D
~Clinton

Names aren't my forte either, so I understand.  I am that volunteer who shared God's word.

The Bible is the American Patriot's Bible. 
You can find it at this link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=american+patriot%27s+bible&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7141750965&ref=pd_sl_63rxcsvlyq_b

The quote book is America's God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations and can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Americas-God-Country-Encyclopedia-Quotations/dp/1880563096/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1312297767&sr=8-29

It is always my pleasure to talk to folks about my favorite subject and other favored subjects (God and American heritage/marksmanship, in that order  :) ).  I'm pleased that you enjoyed the message and were able to "have church" with new friends.

With the skills and techniques that you demonstrated, the Rifleman's patch will SOON be coming.  Dryfiring will help out quite a bit. 

and always remember to FOCUS on the Front sight in all that you do.

-RPD/Rob

ps Pics on the way when I can find my phone card adapter.   :wb:
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

Quote from: slim on August 01, 2011, 10:08:28 AM
Another hot one in Ohio!

Twenty-two Americans overcame the heat and humidity and left their couches behind to join us on the line at Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsman's Association. After a few 200 yard dashes to warm up a little more, we set out to saving the country!

Several juniors and first timers on the line and a few who were a little more experienced. Several families and plenty of new friends! Everyone ready to drink from the fire hose. (Seriously. If we would've had a fire hose I'm sure everyone would've taken a drink or two from it.)

Buckeyes proved they could double their effectiveness on the first day and hone it on the second. While we didn't see any new Riflemen at this event we did see scores improve dramatically and more importantly, we saw the fire of liberty burning brightly. (Perhaps that's why it was so hot!)

The heat (coupled with a lot of hard work and dedication) even changed one instructor's hat from Orange to RED! Everyone please join me in saying a big HUZZAH! to RPD - a man who not only knows well what he's about, but who's exemplified to those he comes in contact with how to keep that 4b and 4a connected. All of us benefit from your instruction, Rob. All of us.

A special thanks to the staff of the CCFSA, the instructors who joined us, and most importantly, those who feel no heat! Huzzah! See you on the trail next time and back here again in November.

Thank you for the very Kind words, my Friend!

It is ALWAYS a pleasure to work with you and to have met your family this weekend was a special JOY!
-Sir Edmund Burke

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

RedNekEngr

WOO  HOO!!!!!  Now that's what I'm talking about. O0   ^:)^  O0   ^:)^   O0   ^:)^

Way to go RPD.  If it had been in my power, this new hat thingy would've happened a long time ago. 
I'm so privileged to have you as a fellow instructor, but more importantly, a dear and invaluable friend.  You're the best ole buddy.

So sorry I wasn't there to witness the coronation, but I was thinking about it all weekend.

RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

dirtdawg

Thank you to all the instructors who came out to share their passion (Slim, Too-Tall, Dinky Dau, Andre, RPD, and Goldfish)!  It was blazing hot, but everybody kept a great attitude throughout.  Sorry if we didn't get everyone in the photos.

Congratulations to RPD on the hat upgrade.  Now if someone will upgrade your profile ranking  ;)

Hopefully, I can break away from other responsibilities and actually shoot an AS soon, instead of sitting on the sidelines.  Good luck to everyone in treading the Appleseed Trail.  Spread the word!

Dirtdawg (Michael)

dirtdawg

=

RPD

-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

Quote from: RedNekEngr on August 03, 2011, 08:31:27 AM
WOO  HOO!!!!!  Now that's what I'm talking about. O0   ^:)^  O0   ^:)^   O0   ^:)^

Way to go RPD.  If it had been in my power, this new hat thingy would've happened a long time ago. 
I'm so privileged to have you as a fellow instructor, but more importantly, a dear and invaluable friend.  You're the best ole buddy.

So sorry I wasn't there to witness the coronation, but I was thinking about it all weekend.

RNE

Thank you, My Brother!

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a pic of the changing of the hats.  The ones that were taken with my cell didn't come out.  Oh well.  Dinky didn't want a pic of her w/o a hat, and I guess she got her wish. 

Now we need to get your hat color changed to that fine lookin' GREEN.

God Bless,
RPD
-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

Quote from: dirtdawg on August 03, 2011, 08:50:26 AM
Thank you to all the instructors who came out to share their passion (Slim, Too-Tall, Dinky Dau, Andre, RPD, and Goldfish)!  It was blazing hot, but everybody kept a great attitude throughout.  Sorry if we didn't get everyone in the photos.

Congratulations to RPD on the hat upgrade.  Now if someone will upgrade your profile ranking  ;)

Hopefully, I can break away from other responsibilities and actually shoot an AS soon, instead of sitting on the sidelines.  Good luck to everyone in treading the Appleseed Trail.  Spread the word!

Dirtdawg (Michael)

Thanks Michael!
Your help at the range is INVALUABLE and your and Melinda's assistance in all things there makes it a good venue to shoot at.  I hope that Max/Jasper had a good time.  He was doing well on the bags sniping and seemed to be getting the hang of shooting with only the sling too.  It'll come quickly for him.

I look forward to you being back on the line too, so that you can get the orange hat that your dedication and perseverance show you will have earned when you shoot Rifleman.

Take care,
RPD
-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

Tried 4 times now to post pics.  Let's see how this one works.
The elusive Dinky Dao is in some of the pics.  I'm going to post them 4 at a time, to see if size was the problem.
-Sir Edmund Burke

RPD

More Pics:
-Sir Edmund Burke

Dangerous D

Sounds like a great event. Congrats to you RPD you've certainly demonstrated the dedication and skill.

Kick-in-the-pants

Quote from: RPD on August 02, 2011, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: Kick-in-the-pants on August 01, 2011, 03:17:44 PM
Oh, YEAH, that'd be great!
In Athens, there is a man who brings a hand made (by him) musket with bayonet.  He fires a .75 cal round and dresses in period garb.  This ALWAYS makes a very favorable impression, especially when he hands the round to people and they see the size and feel the heft of the round. 
-RPD

If I can come back, I'll bring them.  I'm told having a child is life changing... so we'll have to wait and see what changes.  Dad's got a .56 cal, but I'm sure that would effectively communicate to those attending... especially if they shoot it.

Quote from: RPD on August 02, 2011, 12:15:16 PM
With the skills and techniques that you demonstrated, the Rifleman's patch will SOON be coming.  Dryfiring will help out quite a bit. 
and always remember to FOCUS on the Front sight in all that you do.
-RPD/Rob

I did do some dry firing last night... and ya know what?  It was RELAXING and THERAPEUTIC!    O0
Not quite as relaxing as shooting for real...   :~ but still pretty good.    (Do the smiley's not work with quotes?  It's not showing up in the preview)

Green Light

Congrats RBD on your well earned red hat!   O0 I would loved to have been there to witness you receiving it.  :( 

GL
Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?  Isaiah 2:22

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

dirtdawg

=

Kick-in-the-pants

After attending my first Apple Seed (and after roving about on the forums and you tube),  I have to say that you Apple Seed people are some of the coolest people I've met!  I look forward to seeing how things work out, and hopefully I'll be able to become more involved! 
(I've already handed out 5 brochures and plan to stop by the local gun shop and talk their ear off if they let me  ;) )

-On that note, I saw a thread about blue hat's, but the link didn't work...