News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Pittsburg Kansas July 23rd-24th

Started by gpbbiker, July 25, 2011, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpbbiker

Bone Creek Gun Club hosted another highly successful Appleseed shoot this weekend. I know this starting to sound redundant but it was HOT! On Sunday (which was the cooler day) the air temp in the shade below the canopy at Bone Creek was hovering at @103 degrees, very little wind, high humidity. :o

But let me tell you about Appleseeders and their families, they are TOUGH! They shot through two days of oppressive heat and never even blinked. We produced TWO riflemen out of our 10 participants! Four of those 10 were children. Let me tell you about one little girl. The next time you run into some big burly he-man type who tells you, "I hunt every year and I am a pretty good shot" you can just smile and say, "Big deal, I know of a little girl, whose only experience was shooting a BB gun, who laid on a hot concrete pad in oppressive 100+ plus heat for two days, who learned and listened and never sat out a round, who by the end of that two hot days was consistently putting rounds on target from prone. She went from zero to sixty and never even blinked. Where were you??" That lump of blathering ego can't hold a candle to this young shooter.  :)

We took our time, we drank water, we looked out for each other. When people needed a break off the line from the heat they took it. But it should be said that it didn't happen very often. Even after two solid days of shooting, when everyone was hot, sweaty and dancing with exhaustion, folks still stayed around and helped break down the canopies, sweep the concrete paid, pick up the brass and help everyone get loaded up for the trips home. These folks were troopers. :bow:
Come to a Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma Appleseed Shoot and you will see what I mean.
Shoot well here, and you can shoot well anywhere in the world.
Congratulations to Tony and Steve on qualifying as Riflemen!
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

gpbbiker

Pictures!
Check out the cool road sign made by johndeereboy24!
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

gpbbiker

More TOUGH Shooters!

gpbbiker

New Riflemen!

4bfox

Wow...another great shoot in Pittsburg! Congrats to the new Riflemen! Congrats to everyone else for hanging in there!

Great job Biker and crew! Love that sign, jdb24!

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

parrack

Hi... this is Catherine (& Tony)...  we had a GREAT time.  We were so impressed with the team of volunteers.  I think Tony has already recruited a couple people to attend in September, and we plan to return in September.  I'm going to shoot something that fits me better and that has good sights...  oh yeah and maybe it won't be 105 out!

Hopefully our paths will cross again one of these days.  Very Kind Regards, Catherine

FreeCelt

It was nice meeting you Catherine. Glad to hear you'll be back :)

Thanks to the instructors and shooter for coming out to another successful Appleseed.
I only took a couple pictures but here they are. In the 3rd picture Hangfire and Celticmind are doing math in their heads ;)  . The last pic is of some little people napping through AQTs :)

Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

hangfire

What a fantastic weekend. 105 degrees air temp and better than any old day at work. gpbbiker, celticmind, freeceltic and johndeereboy great to have worked with you all again. We had some really great shooters to stick it out and work so hard on their marksmanship skills. Congratulations to Steve and Tony on their Rifleman's patch. Catherine and Kim come back you are so close, work on the dry fire practice Thursday evenings while listing to the Rifleman Radio Show, it will pay off at the next shoot.