News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FLASH REPORT!! Ottawa Appleseed 19 Apr (aka I saw a man building an Ark, pt II)

Started by The Guy, April 20, 2008, 12:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Guy

Rain and funnel clouds....

No kidding.

We had 36 shooters this morning for Ottowa.  A few stayed at home due to weather I'm quite sure, but, while it was raining untill we actually started, the skys cleared a bit for part of the shoot.

By the time 4 pm rolled around, it was storming again, though not enough to stop us.  We lost 4 durring the day to work and other methods of attrition, so we ended up with 32 for the Historic "Shot Heard Across The Nation".  Thus we contributed 432 rounds to this monumental occasion.

Running relays durring the day for the most part slowed us down a bit, along with the heavy rain out (we were in easily 3 inches standing in several spots on the line), so we ended up stopping just before the QDAQT.

However, like always, improvement was quite visible.

Saw several "old" faces, and made new friends.

My help came in the form of some fine IITs, JoeZ, The Editor, Longshot and Thor's Hammer.  They did quite well, and were a whole lot of help.

We also had a troop of Eagle/almost Eagle scouts who did the Boy Scouts of America proud.

The range provided parental guidance in the form of the ever present for Aapleseed Al, so it felt more like a reunion of sorts than anything else.

While one must wonder how a state full of such fine people as this bunch could be such a pit, it also shows how progress is made, one shooter at a time.

I am quite proud of the way this program has grown, and the ability of us to be able to put together a day like we had, where 14 ranges full of everyday folks can have a unison shoot at a specified time, speaks volumes about the drive for freedom in our hearts.

Someday I dream that this could be commonplace.

If we keep on getting the dedicated Instructors like those we have now, if we keep on getting new folks to turn out, if we keep on having success of the returnees brining back more, maybe 50 next year isn't the dream, but the reality.

Ottawa has been great so far (weather aside), and today has been great from coast to coast.

Just building for a even better tomorrow.

See you in the morning on the firing line!

Guy

The Guy

So anyway, we ended up with a total of 2 Riflemen, one of whom has been to an Appleseed before, and another, who will be shipping off to work for Uncle Sugar in a few months.

Congrats!

Had a dry sky on day 2, however, the holes were still full of mud and water and this nasty slippery clay.  My boots weighed something like 25 pounds.

The ever present RSO Al made a few trips for plywood and straw, and we all got a lesson in how to make adobe.  Yay!

However, we were able to keep a bit dryer after that.

We had one new shooter, with a Nagant, shooting lefty.  Talk about dedication.

All in all, I had a good time.  I would just once like to see Ottawa dry.  I bet it would be a whole nother experience.

Good to have met all of you, good as well to see all the returnees!

Bloomington is next folks, so get pre-reged soon, as it also has a cap.

Guy out.

ps, Longshot did some History on day 2 quite well, and in garb from the waist up, courtesy of Cannonman!  Thank you both!

colycat

Hi

I tried to do the ILL shoot, I'm from WIS, but had to settle for Piru CA.  Sorry about the weather, but I hear Appleseeds are allways somthing.  We had 60's and dirt blowing.  My rifles have never been this dirty. Great weekend though.

You guys should try Shiocton in May.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Thor's Hammer

Rain,mud and gummy rifles. Now that is what I call an Appleseed! Fear not all you brave souls, two of my LTR's were on the line and I had to clean them when I arrived home. By the way GUY, the SKS malfunctioned because of mud in the chamber and this caused the bolt to not fully close(a little "forward assist" would have cured the problem on the line) ;D

I had a great time and enjoyed helping everybody. It was rewarding to see groups shrink by the end of the weekend.

It was a pleasure meeting other Instructors and forum members. I would like to extend Garand69 a big thank you for helping with the two young men next to him on the line. You did a fine job with them and look forward to seeing you on the trail.

I don't know how many of you caught The Guy's comment about Yoda on day one, but I do a pretty darned good job of imitating him(Fred, Guy and others heard him at Sallisaw in March ;D). Maybe just maybe, we all might get to hear some Yoda wisdom in the future(I'm really glad I already had a screen name before I let the cat out of the bag ;D).

To all of you who did not make Rifleman, use what you have learned, practice as much as you can and encourage others to do so as well.

Jason

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Longshot

I have little doubt that if you look up "quagmire" in Webster's dictionary, it will say " see Ottowa Appleseed" ! Many "persistance points" go out to every shooter who stuck out two days of rain, muddy sights, muddy ammo, muddy mags, muddy boots, muddy mats, soggy targets, etc. In other words, the perfect crucible for forging Riflemen!

A special'well done' goes out to Chris and Andrew for shooting from ankle-deep muck all day Sunday without a hint of complaint.

The Guy was at his usual best bossing the shoot, and his history was also, as always, superlative.

Thor's Hammer and The Editor displayed exemplary skills on the line, especially with the added load of running relays. Thor and I kept busy taking care of malfunctions and minor breakdowns, and helpng with sight adjustments and sling issues between other tasks.

The floggings continued and the marksmanship improved, with two men among men forged from the alloy of liberty.

Kudos to Buffalo Range for the facilities, and to (?) whomever put the shoot logistics together, and here's looking forward to the next Ottawa Appleseed.

KR

" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Longshot

Almost forgot!!!!??!!

Many thanks to Cannonman61 (Dave) for his generous contribiutions of Rev-War clothing and gear for use at Appleseeds. His generosity allowed for shooters to hear history delivered in period-correct garb, and the bayonet really ' drives home the point', ( Did I print that out loud?) 

Dave, I coudn't stand the thought of muddying up those beautiful white trousers, so had to go 'from the waist up'.

Kerry
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

TheEditor

I never knew working so hard could be so much fun!

The specific "work" I'm referring to is walking back and forth behind my section of the line, while carrying about 25 pounds of mud and adobe on each of my size 13's. 

But you know what?  The shooters were dedicated to the cause.  When we moved to a roof for a history lesson while the heavens were opened and the fountains of the great deep were broken up, just after the shot heard around the country, no one left.  After the storm, when the place was even worse, and given the option of leaving, I didn't see anyone do so.  We stayed that night until the 6 pm range closing time. 

Thanks to The Guy, Thor's Hammer, Longshot, and everyone who attended. 

For everyone who went or was thinking of going to Ottawa:  Bloomington, IL is coming up May 31... only an hour and 20 minutes south of Ottawa... more room... cheaper (as in free) range fee... AND ALMOST GUARANTEED BETTER WEATHER!

I've got a substitute teaching gig this Thursday at the local high school.  I'm thinking a lesson on April 19, 1775 might be in order...   

The Editor

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Emmpress Oakley

Whew!!!  I think my "water proof" boots and AR are finally dry and devoid of clay!!! ;) I'm still finding clay behind my ears...lol

Yet again another stellar day in the mud and slop, ya just have to laugh - a bad day shooting in the Appleseed rain is a better day shooting, period.  I cannot stress how fun and informative Appleseed has been for me - being female to boot and in the midst of terribly educated rifleman, make any lady swoon i.m.o. lol, what a GREAT time Appleseeds are.  I wish this post could reach and spread across the web to every person out there that is (was) afraid to fire a weapon and then hone skills to become rifleman.  Yep I was one of "those ppl" and man WHAT A GREAT TIME at the Ottowa Appleseed!! I won't get all slobbery other than to say - Great clinic, great range, great day, great instruction, great weather....no wait, scratch that last one!  ;) 

All in all FUN, INSTRUCTIONAL and SAFE.  Hats off guys - WELL DONE;D ;D

L
.......Goddess in the rain.

Garand69

You folks did a great job!

I had a very self induced aggravating weekend, but it was very fullfilling helping out a couple of 12yr olds shrink their groups, which they did!

I'll post some pics soon, been busy.

Thanks folks, Wetfoot and I will see you in Bloomington
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

The Guy

Well, we all have yet another chance to hit Rifleman there on July 4-5-6.

Three days, price of 2.

Gonna be a good one.

And heck, I might even see that place dry for once....

Tully

Lisa(Emmpress Oakley) already said it better than I can, but I would like to add my opinion. Thanks to Guy and all of the IIT for another GREAT Appleseed. We brought someone who thought he knew how to shoot, but was soon humbled. Which is the whole point. He really enjoyed the entire day(even with the rain and funnel cloud) and asked why we weren't staying for the 2nd day. I think he will be back. He learned that just because you have a big bore rifle with a scope, you don't necessarily know how to shoot. The LTR worked well and he was talking about buying his own. Now I need to bring more friends and introduce them to the fire hose. I will be promoting. Thanks again. Brian

Garand69

Sorry they are so late, but here are some pics....

That standard issue rain on the way to Ottawa

Getting ready for the first Redcoat

Thor's Hammer going over Prone

Wetfoot and his LTR

Day 2, note the OSB Board to give us somewhere to stand that wasn't mud

Wetfoot and Colt (both of them 12 by the way)

The Guy walking the walk!

And of course some fine History!

Thanks again RWVA Intructor Team, you did well!
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Fred

Good pics! Thanks for posting them.

Gotta say, I'll take snow over rain, any day!

Is that Guy's shadow I see in the last one? ;D

Next time you see wetfoot, tell him to get that trigger knee up tight!

:)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

cannonman61

Hey!

I think that's Longshot,(can be the Guy, he is sideways and you can still see him  ;)), doing the history in some gear I sent in a rev war box!

That is the first use I have seen a photograp of since they went out although I have two nice AAR comments about the stuff being used in Davilla and here at Ottowa.

Nice to know they are starting to get some use.

Thanks for the pictoral feedback.

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Chris Z

I heard from Joe Z that there were two different custom pistol griped M1a Stocks at this shoot.  I'm looking for more information from the maker.  Does anyone know who I need to get in touch with?

thank you

cz

Pappy

Hello and Thanks to the staff and appleseedlings for making a HUGE impact on the young men from Boy Scout Troop 797. The following tuesday night the fellows were still all a buzz with the education gained during the weekend. Each Scout and Asst Scoutmaster stood up and talked about the experience they had. Wow the way they made it sound!! The scout masters son a newly minted Eagle Scout, summed it up Best by saying that the event was Hardcore, and the one of the best times he has ever had in Scouting! I am very proud to say that one of the RIFLEMEN made during this event was my son on Sunday afternoon. To him and all who helped him along the way thank you and welldone. Hope to see you in Bloomington.   Jon Papineau      Ps. Not the fellow building the ARK. ;D
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Garand69

Quote from: Fred on April 28, 2008, 07:21:47 AM

Next time you see wetfoot, tell him to get that trigger knee up tight!

:)

He will be working on that this weekend during dry fire drills, Fred  ;D

J, Papineau,

Thanks for bring the Scouts and congrats on your Son making Rifleman!  PM Sent
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

The Guy

Well, that is a flash back of wet.

The stockes were by two diferent makers.  Longshot did his own, the other one was mine, built by our very own Shootimus Maximus.  PM either for info.

The scouts did fine.  Need more at the next one.

And yes, that was Longshot doing History in garb from Cannonman.  From the waist up anyway, due to all that darn mud.