News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Hinckley, MN July 16-17, 2011

Started by Cooper, July 19, 2011, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

While 90 degree temperatures with near 80% humidity may be commonplace to our southern Appleseed family, it is NOT commonplace in the Frozen North, and I must commend all that persevered through this weekend's Appleseed Shoot in Hinckley, MN!  I knew we were in for an interesting weekend after driving north through torrential rains that produced up to nearly a foot of flash flooding between Rochester and Moscow of the Midwest, err, Minneapolis/St Paul.

On arrival at the Hinckley Conservation Club, MN's Senior Instructor and a veteran Orange Hat were found putting up the target line and flagpoles off in a grey haze...  OF MOSQUITOES!!!  Minnesota's State Bird was out in full force, and lent an entirely new meaning to a "SWAT TEAM."  It was so humid that the mosquitoes could simply lay eggs in the air and the larvae would hatch and develop there before buzzing off in search of their prey (us!).

Luckily, most of our shooters were well prepared for the diametrically opposed elements of the weekend: water and fire.   All had a REMARKABLE teachable attitude and maintained it through a weekend of oppressive heat and humidity, bereft of anything more than the merest tease of a breeze.  Five intrepid shooters were confronted by the "evil mom4rmhell" in Shoot Boss's clothing.  They were doused time and again with the firehose of Appleseed knowledge, were sent to the mats and got right back up to check their targets.  Down to the mat with a flurry of slings ringing in their heads (Hasty! Hasty-hasty and knocked for a Loop!), down to the mat with the 6 steady hold factors, down to the mat with the 6 steps of firing the shot, down to the mat after Inches-Minutes-Clicks, and down to mat again with NPOA.  You'd have thought they were descendants of Rhode Island's Maj Gen Nathaniel Greene who wrote, "We fight, get beat, rise and fight again."  Soon their groups began to shrink with each course of fire.   Steamed near to having meat fall from their bones, it was soon time for lunch, and some history!  A replica Brown Bess made an appearance, along with her fearsome 16 inch bayonet.  Instructor AdamT shared the story of April 19th and Paul Revere's ride, with fife and drum playing in the background to help set the mood.  We heard about the events leading up to this fateful night, and how well-prepared colonial Patriots mustered 14,000 men willing to risk all to defend their Liberty, and that of our Present Generation. 

With bodies reduced to merely parboiled and hearts rekindled by the bravery and sacrifices of our Forefathers, the brave band of two Reawakened American couples (Erica/Reuben, Abby/Joel) and a determined young Dalton marched back to the fray along with their supply wagons. Instructors illustrated the seated position which soon made all appreciate how much more heat-induced fatigue affected their accuracy. Any gust wind of wind would have been welcome, but the little air movement that appeared was but a tease along the treetops. They learned to "embrace their wobble" in the standing position as heat sapped their strength, and how to time their shots with wet, labored breathing!  Returning from the target line, they were met by one of the Acton Minutemen that had trained and fought at Concord's North Bridge under their beloved Captain Isaac Davis, and had later bore his body home to his grieving wife Hannah and their children.  Thus inspired, our persevering shooters fought off hordes of green zombies while learning transitions and reviewing the morning's lessons.  As the day came to a close, the stories of Meriam's Corner, Parker's Revenge, Lord Percy's cannon, Gen. Heath's "Moving Ring of Fire," and Col Pickering's hesitation framed our final redcoat for the day. 

Sunday's steamy morning offered up two returning shooters:  "Iron-Will" Kelli and "back for more" Dwight (norseman1), and a new shooter Dalton's sister, Dakotah.  The Sunday morning Redcoat target was followed by a few squares to zero in some new equipment.  As the AQT Festival unfolded, Dwight (returning for his delayed second day of Appleseed, interrupted by Father's Day) reeled off RM score after RM score with remarkable consistency.  Others saw their scores climb in synchrony with the day's heat index.  As the group "cooled off" near the trees with temps only in the upper 80's, AFTERMATH told of Hezekiah Wyman's marksmanship and illustrated how the choices and actions of a single person (even someone "past their prime") can affect history and the course of a Nation.  Taylor spoke about David Lamson and his "old fool" companions that stopped Percy's resupply train and drove six desperate Grenadiers to surrender to Old Mrs Batherick.  To drive home the lesson of the value of teamwork, the afternoon began with a "mad minute" team contest against the dreaded TV target.  Despite being pitted against all comers, Erica and Reuben blew competition and the television away and were rewarded with a copy of PAUL REVERE'S RIDE to help further their appreciation of our heritage as well as to recognize their quick uptake of marksmanship skills.

As the day steamed away, some shooters faltered, but Joel's scores slowly but steadily climbed.  Uninformed by the Evil Shoot Boss that he had already earned a Rifleman's score of 212, she drove him mercilessly forward to his true abilities and a score of 220! Rather than the traditional final Redcoat, our determined shooters requested two extra AQT's.

After our other Jungleseed participants had decided that unbearable body odors would soon render them ineffective (or at least unlovable) and retired from the field, one remarkable woman stayed on.  Determined to improve, "Iron-Will" Kelli chose to remain and shoot AQT's for nearly two hours more until her scores peaked on the verge of Rifleman, and the tremulousness of utter fatigue led her to the wise decision of rest, dryfiring and another Appleseed event in her quest for her Rifleman's patch.

If it had been in my power to award her a patch for one of most determined efforts I have ever witnessed, I would have done so.  Well beyond anything I have ever witnessed before, this woman possesses the SOUL of a Rifleman.  Kelli, I salute you!

Everyone, keep dry firing at home, come to another 'seed soon so you don't forget the skills you learned, and bring your friends! Remember how easy it is to double our program if everyone comes back, and brings just one friend.

Thank you all again for making Hinckley's JUNGLESEED Shoot a success!!

When I manage to dig my camera out from the depths of the 'seedmobile, I will post pictures.

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

AFTERMATH

It's not all too often that you find the shooters are actually praying for rain!

Congratulations Joel and Norseman1! 
You've earned it!  Anyone who thinks otherwise, has never seen condensation on a hot rifle barrel!

It's weekends like this when people are hoping to get hit with hot brass, just to cool down.

But we must be honest, it was nice to have the air-cooled pavillion as a retreat from the sauna.

Kelli, Kelli, Kelli...  I must admit it was utterly disappointing to see you go home without your patch.   I guess it just wasn't time yet...  There must be some other sort of weather you haven't been to a shoot in yet.  Can't say what it is, you've been through all the extremes now.  Perhaps it's a nice day you're missing.  Next time, Kelli.  Next time!

Erica and Reuben, so close!  Erica just stop fussing arround and do what you know how to do!
Reuben, work on those last few steps.

Abby, a mother of five, with the grit and determination of a Rifleman - Just some more practice, with dry-fire and positions and you'll be there!

Dalton and Dakotah, with a bit more work on the 6 steps and and some speed drills; your scores will certainly climb as high as your spirits!

Cooper proved that border raiding is but a single aspect of her wide ranging Appleseed skillset!
Great work, you're a rising star for sure.  Killer must be your secret weapon!

Taylor, it's great to have you back in state!  Wisconsin was probably thinking they finally had you!

Adamt, how about that air-cooling?  You got a patent on that?
Excellent work as always...  You'd better get a headstart on that IPC!

Sparks, you managed to sneak out once again under the watchful eye of a spouse to join us Sunday!  You'll have to share your technique with the other married folk, in the program.  It's as valuable to them as it will be to you under that Green Hat you're gonna be working on soon.

Three - Church, school, a plethora of occupations, and a signficant other aren't enough for you, eh?
You just had to take time to bless us with your presence on Sunday.

It's not often that it's good to run into trouble.  But when Trouble stops by your Appleseed for awhile, to say hi, durring a four day pass, preceding her impending deployment; it's definately one of the exceptions!  Too bad we couldn't get you that patch before you left.  You'll have to work on it while you're over there. >:D  See you when you get back!

Terry, if you're reading this...  Enough of that stopping by to watch for a while.  Just get it over with and sign up for a shoot! ^-^

None of this, by the way, would have been possible without the support of the Hinckley Conservation Club.  Thank you!

I can't wait to see you all again, on the Appleseed Trail!
In the meantime, keep shooting!

Aftermath

p.s.  Minnesota's Appleseed picnic is coming up next month - August 7th.  What the Minnesota state board for details!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Cooper

more  I hope
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

Cooper

Curses!
Nothing is posting!

Cooper

Shrunken and posted many years ago...,

Cooper

arrgh

Cooper

ehh

Cooper

Dooh...

Cooper

Grrrrrr

Cooper

gr

Cooper

this is frustrating

Cooper

a rifleman persists

Cooper

and persists

AFTERMATH

Hey, you've got better luck with the pics than I've had lately...  Took me like a month to get some up from one of the shoots a few months ago.... O0

As evidenced by the photos; it wasn't only Cooper and myself in attendance!  Where's everyone else?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

adamt

Great job on the pictures Cooper. To all the shooters and Instructors, thank you. This will go down as another great shoot.

What can I say about Hinckley, I have been there for -30 degree Blizzard seeds and +100 degree Jungle seeds.

Thanks again to everyone, hope to see you on the trail soon.

AdamT.

"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln