News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bonfield, IL July 16 & 17, 2011

Started by Wurstmacher, July 17, 2011, 11:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

I just got home from another great weekend at the Illinois State Rifle Association Range near Bonfield, IL.

A total of 20 shooters braved the Illinois summer heat and lack of breeze.  Chris, who stationed himself at the end of the line near the winter shoot house so that he would be near a power source, brought a window fan to move some air around him on Sunday.    O0

We had very teachable students this weekend and it showed on the AQT's on Sunday.  4 Riflemen.  ..:..

Congratulations Brian, Michael, Scott, and Ron. 

Brian, a veteran of a few Appleseeds, persisted through knee problems to get his Patch this weekend.  He asked me if I could step away for a few minutes, so we did.  He shared that he liked what we (Appleseed) was doing and he would like to help out.  So he suggested that he would like to take an Orange Hat.  Thank you for the help sir.

Tom, a Rifleman, shot throughout the weekend and reconfirmed his abilities on a few AQT's. 

Big Mike was close, oh so close, again.  Keep at it buddy.  Persist. We'll see you soon at another Appleseed.

John, a pleasure to see you again with your son.  You are getting there.  Are you just milking that ROC card to get a summer's worth of shooting?   &)

Elton, persevering through both days with that bolt action tube fed rifle that failed to extract about every third shell was an exercise in patience for you  I am sure.  I am glad that you were willing to try something different on Sunday afternoon.  You can see why we chose to use semi-automatic magazine fed rifles.  I see a 10/22 in your future.

Annette and Jim, it was a pleaure.  Hope to see you again.  Next month?  Waterman? 

Thanks to 2clicks low and my two boys Oddball and Cookie who rounded out the instructor crew.

Post your comments, experiences and pictures please.

2 clicks low

Great shoot. I love to see a full line of eager shooters. Very teachable crowd.
4 rifleman, that's 20%  ^:)^ , I hope for that every weekend.

#) When did they move ISRA to Arizona? The heat index hit 101, my thermometer registered 97.  !@#) Thanks students for sticking with us. Way to perserver.

Wurstmacher, you run a great shoot, a new and different bus to toss each IIT under everyday. Thanks, that's how we learn.

2cl

"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Garand69

Wurstmacher & Company EXCELLENT JOB as always!!! 20% Rifleman is always a good day on the range O0

I am putting your name in for a commendation from Fred.... This is another Illinois First!!! Elton John was at an Appleseed !!!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ I did read that right didn't I  ;D

Thanks for coming out Shooters and a huge congrats to our latest batch of Rifleman! Thanks for stepping up Brian, make sure you send your name rank and horsepower to our Instructor Coordinator EEL.

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Crow

The weekend shoot at Bonfield was excellent.

I found out about Appleseed from a blog by well-known instructor and author Mas Ayoob (he attended one, made Rifleman and recommended it). Having received instruction/training from him and John Farnham, another warrior of equal reputation, I would have to say that Wurstmacher and his crew were of equal quality in what they teach. The Appleseed curriculum is essential and I'm not seeing those basics being taught elsewhere. The drill mentality and the level of safety discipline were well maintained. The RW history was inspiring. Thank you again!

SK

AK

Congrats to the new Riflemen and Orange Hat. You persevered through some tough conditions!  8)  Hope to see you soon on the Appleseed trail. 
Kay
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Garand69

Quote from: Crow on July 18, 2011, 01:27:43 PM
The weekend shoot at Bonfield was excellent.

I found out about Appleseed from a blog by well-known instructor and author Mas Ayoob (he attended one, made Rifleman and recommended it). Having received instruction/training from him and John Farnham, another warrior of equal reputation, I would have to say that Wurstmacher and his crew were of equal quality in what they teach. The Appleseed curriculum is essential and I'm not seeing those basics being taught elsewhere. The drill mentality and the level of safety discipline were well maintained. The RW history was inspiring. Thank you again!

SK

Holy Cow... 1st 20% Rifleman. then Elton John, and now this glowing review!!
I'm putting you in for two commendations now!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Welcome aboard Crow, I'm glad you like the Program!  O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

BigMike

I know I had a great time out there.  I got a little frustrated with my scores, but not enough to trade my rifle for a pot rack...  ;)  Already got myself registered for Ottawa next weekend, and Waterman two weeks after that, and I've scheduled time for dry-fire practice in the basement every night til I manage to bring my groups down enough to add that last 9 or 10 points I needed this weekend to make my score.

I just keep reminding myself, I've broken 200 three times now (200, 201 and 201), at two different weekends, and that's nothing to feel bad about, considering that I actually did sell my first rifle several years ago, because the safest place to be downrange was in front of my target, and hadn't touched another one until I bought my 10/22 for Appleseed.... But, I didn't know anything about Appleseed then, or anything about actually using it. 

Climbinghigher77

Wurstmacher, you ran a great line, along with your two sons. I appreciate your work and dedication along with all the others'. With your instruction this weekend there is one less cook, on the road to rifleman!

I know we will be back, but probably not until September. Until then, it will be practice practice practice!

eqdocrandy

I had a very good time. Very good to great storytelling!!  The history prof's in Urbana couldn't
have done a more enthusiastic job.  Excellent marksmanship training and coaching. Not good
enough to get me into the Rifleman class  :(       But plenty good to  stoke my thirst for more
practice and training to get me there somewhere down the road. Thank you to all the top notch
instructors. And I hope to benefit from your talents again soon.