News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, Ohio - July 16/17 2011

Started by slim, July 17, 2011, 09:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

HOT! We'll start off there.

It was a muggy one and day two had us wiping sweat from our brows all day long. A good event with a wonderful student to instructor ratio and plenty of time to take cool down breaks in the shade and pass on the tradition of American Marksmanship and Heritage while staying hydrated.

Saturday saw pretty decent conditions and shooters who were motivated and ready to go. They drank from the fire hose and took to the instruction so well we were able to bust out quite a few AQTs on day one. Day two saw more of the same with a few Rapid Fire AQTs thrown in just for fun. Nothing like shooting angled AQTs! And then the sun hit...

We have a new Rifleman! Dustin shot more than a few Rifleman scores and that was quite a feat in the heat. But, that wasn't the impressive thing. AQTs are easy! The hard part is persisting through several months of practice and honing your skills from one event to the next. And that's still not the impressive part.

He brought someone with him!

Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shooot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!! Dustin is a man who knows well what he is about.

That feller he brought with him learned quite a bit this weekend too. Gary left knowing what he needs to practice and it was wonderful to have someone with a teachable attitude who was able to take the feedback from his targets and translate that into what he needs to do to fix it. It's almost like those targets were talking to him.

Ben came back home from college and figured while he was here... he might as well save the country. His scores inched up all weekend long and with a little practice at home - and perhaps a rifle of his own - he'll be back to bump it up that last little bit and we'll make it official.

I asked folks throughout the weekend how they'd heard of Appleseed. The three men above were a direct result of one man's efforts. One man can make a difference. One. Don't ever pass up an opportunity to pass on the message. Tell everyone!

Our junior shooter was raised from his slumber by DGMilty. Whenever I see someone with their kids out on the line I can't help but think what it must've been like for those folks in the early morning hours of Apr. 19th when they had to quietly wake their young ones and help them stand in defense of the cause for liberty.

How nice it is today to see families out at the range together, enjoying one another's company and honoring the heritage that's been bestowed upon us thanks to those young ones (and parents) so many years ago. I hope we make good use of it.

Sunday was a whole lot louder too. We were crunching the numbers on how many decibels .22s make when all of the sudden some Fuzzy Math got involved and it got a whole lot louder! It was great to see Gordon make it down and get some time out on the firing line. Always great to spend time with instructors who are keeping their skills sharp.

Our Instructors also did a great job this weekend and made the job of Shoot Boss really, really, reaaaaally easy. Guys like DGMilty and the buckeye trapper have their stuff together and pretty soon, Piqua is going to be rolling on auto pilot. (Nudge, nudge, Dustin! You too, Scott, if you happen to be reading this.)

It's always nice to hear the tales of our Heritage from several different perspectives and this weekend afforded us the special treat of RPD's rendition of the 3rd Strike and the David Lamson story. The buckeye trapper rounded out the DOM tales and everyone mentioned how nice it is to hear several different people talk about our Heritage. Along with the 7th Step, getting out there to hear the whole story, from everyone's perspective, is something we should all strive to do.

I know I really enjoy it.

I look forward to next time and I hope we'll see all these guys back again really soon. M'Burg? G'Burg? Work on it. And then come back for more! Huzzah!

DGMilty

HUZZAH!!!

Indeed it was a hot one this weekend!  Again, congrats to Dustin on earning his Rifleman patch on Saturday.  Good to see many more Rifleman scores on subsequent AQTs.

Slim, it was great working with you as Shoot Boss, and again working with RPD and the buckeye trapper.  I am looking forward to working with you guys again on down the trail.  And Fuzzy Math, thanks for coming down!  Wish we could have talked some more.  I can see Piqua as a home range, but cannot forget my starting in Miamisburg. 

I am glad we ALL walked away with learning something, but most of all I want to see more shooters on the line.  Maybe its the July heat & humidity???

Keep up the good work, shooters!  Keep practicing, do your homework, be persistent, and most importantly, spread the word!
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

DoubleG

This was a GREAT course of instruction. Every Instructor was extremely professional and helpful, not only with instruction but gear and repairs. It was a great time getting out and shooting with everyone. I have a lot of practice to do at home, but will definitely be back out!
Thanks again to Slim, RPD, Buckeye Trapper, DGMilty, and Gordon for all the help, tips, tricks, and most of all patience.
Congrats to Dustin, I will be looking to beat your score :)
Hope to see you all again soon.
Thanks,
Gary

RPD

Gary, Dustin, Ben and Zach all persevered during this hot and humid weekend, not complaining, and taking in all of the information that was being offered them.

There was a lot of improvement (and a lot of skill already there)!!!  Anticipate more Riflemen when these individuals are able to make it to another Appleseed.

Gary, when the heat is a little less intense the frustration will abate and you'll get those scores that your form shows you are capable of.

Ben, I thought you were going to get the patch this weekend.  Keep working at it and it will come soon.  Enjoy college and if you can make it back in December, we'd be happy to see you.

Dustin, I think orange would look good on you.  Bringing Gary and 7th Stepping even before you shoot rifleman shows you have what it takes.

Zach,  Keep working on it, practice, practice, practice and you'll get there soon.

Slim, Buckeye Trapper, and DGMilty is was a pleasure to work with you all. 

DG, bringing your son out (and him coming out) on such a toasty weekend shows the dedication to the cause that you BOTH have.

Blair, What a nice home range!  O0  Keep working on the PCs so that you can soon be Shoot Bossing such a fine facility.  . . . and enjoy Alaska!

Slim,  As ALWAYS, it was a joy to work with and fellowship with you.  Keep focused on the most important front sight.  Your passion in the history is seldom equaled.

Wonderful shoot, even though it was OPPRESSIVELY hot.  Slim kept us all hydrating and making sure that we all took enough breaks so that we didn't wilt in the weather. 

Pics of this wonderful shoot follow.

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Here Again

Thanks to Jerry and Scott for signing me up for the May shoot  to learn the heritage, PosterBoy and staff to help me find out my problems with my gun and positioning issues I had that weekend.  So I took what I learned and practiced alot at my house , shot lot of ammo, fixed my gun.  Had Jerry work on the gun to help me for the shoot.  :sos: :sos:
THE SHOOT!!
It was hot all weekend, but our heritage shows that we can persevere. 

Slim,  great shoot this weekend!  RPD, Buckeye Trapper,DGMilty,and Gordon thanks for all the help.  It was a great feeling to earn the RIFLEMAN Patch on the first day of this shoot.  It never gets old to hear the history of our heritage. Everbody shot great this weekend I hope to see all you guy back soon.  Remember to SQEEEEEZE the trigger!!!  Me to!!!!!

See you all in Sept.  not shooting just coming to talk.  Thanks again HAPPY SHOOTING                               

Messer454

Congrats Dustin!  You almost made it last time, I'm glad the riflesmithing worked out!

I here Ben is already looking for a space near his college to Appleseed!

Sorry I couldn't make it, but the New Jersey shore was a nice break from the humidity.

See some of you in Sept!
"Be Prepared"......It is more than a motto, it is a way of life.

Old Glory!

Quote from: slim on July 17, 2011, 09:00:11 PM

Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shooot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!

I asked folks throughout the weekend how they'd heard of Appleseed. The three men above were a direct result of one man's efforts. One man can make a difference. One. Don't ever pass up an opportunity to pass on the message. Tell everyone!

Shamelessly stealing that quote. ^-^  Keep up the good work.  O0
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion