News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Eureka Kansas July 9th and 10th

Started by gpbbiker, July 11, 2011, 11:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpbbiker

We had a great! Appleseed shoot in the Tall Grass Prairies of Kansas. But let me tell you something. Remember all those stories about how hot it was during the Dust Bowl days of the Great Depression?? Well they had nothing on us this weekend! 12 shooters stuck it out with the high temperature on Sunday topping out at 114.5 degrees on our little Caldwell Wind Meter hanging in the shade under one of the canopies. Wichita Kansas set a new official record of 111 degrees! :o

So how do you stay focused and on task when it's that hot and the sweat is dripping into your eyes and everything else?? Well, you slow down a bit, you take breaks in the shade, and you drink the water and the Gatorade we provided. And when you think you are getting too hot, you pull yourself off the line. Even our younger shooters stuck it out and had fun! O0

Our shooters were smart, they were tough, and we got through two days of lying on the ground in 100+ heat, dirt and gun smoke and we didn't have a single heat injury with a student! They were dirty, hot and tired, but you'd expect that!
Jeff even went home with a Rifleman Patch after shooting a 210!!  ^:)^ We gave him a "Methodist" baptism of sprinkling on the head, seeing as he was already soaking with sweat and had a long drive back home. ;)
People paid attention to what their bodies were telling them and everyone did OK.
Shoot well in Kansas, and you can shoot well anywhere in the world!
Post pictures as you have them and note how dry the grass and trees look! I guess  we might look a little dry too!!
:)
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

4bfox

I was REALLY IMPRESSED with the shooters....they hung in there and worked it!

Pics shown below...I only have Sunday:
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

4bfox

And of course, our new Rifleman....Jeff!

1st pic is with his qualifying AQT, 2nd pic is right after his "baptism" of spring water!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

I'm sort of glad I had wedding preparation stuff to do this last weekend.   It had to be brutal out there for you guys with that heat.   I'll be out at Hutchinson in a couple weeks though.  Hope it cools off some before then.