News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

An Independence Day challenge!

Started by AFTERMATH, July 02, 2011, 06:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

I, Aftermath, hereby issue a challenge to all Appleseed Instructors & Volunteers.

As we are all aware, Monday is July 4th - Independence Day. 
Two hundred thirtyfive years ago, a handful of British subjects took an enormous leap.
They formally and unanimously declared their independence from the King of England, throwing off the chains of tyranny, and plunged headfirst into the unknown.  Buying a one way ticket to destiny.

Some us this weekend will be, and are at, Appleseeds.  Some of us may be spending the weekend with friends and family.  All of us should be celebrating the occasion in someway or another.

What is the challenge you ask?

A sizeable portion of the American populace hasn't a clue as to why we celebrate the 4th of July.  I don't think I'd be going out on a limb if I were to estimate that 80% of Americans haven't even read or heard the Declaration of Independence.  Herein lies the challenge.

Grab your copy of the DOI, perhaps even your Appleseed apparel, and find the largest group of people for which you can call to attention.  And read aloud the DOI in its entirety. 
Whether it be on the 4th, itself, or at some other point this weekend.  Afterall, it was the 2nd(today), on which the resolution was passed.

On fair disclosure.  Reading aloud the DOI before the public, is not without its pitfalls.
To some this is a dangerous document, capable of inciting dissension.  There may be legal issues involved in reciting it in some locations.  I admonish you to avoid any trouble and/or confrontation.
Just a peaceful recital of a document, our document!

Should you accept this challenge, I ask that you report back here as to the results.
How large was the group?  Who was it composed of?  Just family is fine, they need to hear it as well.
How was it received?  And anything else you wish to add....

Thank you for your time.  I hope you accept the challenge!

Happy Independence Day!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Marpat Pippi

Challenge met. I read the DOI in its entirety to ALL our Students at AS on July 2nd O0

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Marpat Pippi on July 05, 2011, 12:45:58 PM
Challenge met. I read the DOI in its entirety to ALL our Students at AS on July 2nd O0

Excellent!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]