Author Topic: Posting Pictures (How To)  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
  • Photo credit: Oleg Volk
Posting Pictures (How To)
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »

There are two basic ways to post pictures to the forum. The first method is by uploading the pictures as an attachment. The second is by inserting a URL from an external website into the text box (this method can also be used to add pictures to a PM).

Attaching pictures
To add pictures to your post, click on the words beneath the text box that say ‘Attachments and other options’.

Click ‘choose file’, and select the photo you wish to add.

You can add multiple pictures by selecting ‘more attachments’ (below the 'choose file' button) and repeating the process. Then simply click ‘post’. Your pictures will show up on the thread as thumbnails which can be enlarged or opened in a new tab/window.

Posting pictures in text box from an external website
This method of posting pictures makes for a nice presentation, and makes for ease in viewing them without having to enlarge attachments. It does require that you post your pictures elsewhere on the web (i.e. Facebook, photobucket, flicker, etc.) first. For this example, I’ll use Facebook.

Pull up the picture(s) that you want to post (make sure it doesn’t have the background that has the comment area on the right; if it does, refresh the page and it should pull up the basic layout). Right click the picture, and select ‘Copy image URL’.

Paste the URL over in the text box of your post, either by pressing ‘ctrl+v’ on your keyboard or right clicking in the text box and hitting ‘paste’. Next, highlight the URL, and click the ‘insert image’ button.

You can add multiple pictures this way too, and once you post, your pictures will end up like this:

This second method is helpful as it works well for posting, but also can be used to add a photo to a PM.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:01:20 PM by Evenstar »
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011
Deary 3/12!

http://thebeautyoflifecaptured.wordpress.com/

Offline sparks1

• RWVA Instructor
Re: Posting Pictures (How To)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
A huge thank you to ES!!

This is a big help.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Offline RPD

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
First Time Posting Pictures - this was EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks!

Pics posted so, it DID happen!

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
 -Sir Edmund Burke

Offline oladcock

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
I might add using the first method, edit the photos down to 500-600 pixels. Some attach HUGE hi-res photos that take forever to down load from a thumbnail therefore many won't bother...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
Sparks, thank you for pointing out the need of a 'How To' thread; happy to help!

I'm glad that this info has proven helpful already. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:09:00 PM by Evenstar »

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline Roland

• RWVA Instructor
  • Fire, walk with me
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
Sorry for the stupid question... but is it impossible to do any kind of attachment on a PM? And if so, can we fix this?

Roland
Moving On, or, why I'm not around much anymore.

Check out my blog Here 

The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Roland, no, neither files nor photos can be attached to PMs, and to my knowledge, that function can't be added.

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline TruTenacity

• Shoot Boss
  • Proverbs 15:1
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
Sorry for the stupid question... but is it impossible to do any kind of attachment on a PM? And if so, can we fix this?

Roland

Photos may be inserted in a PM, but not attached to one.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Offline Bill 3

• designated Shoot Boss
  • All Thumbs!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:58:43 AM »
Roland, no, neither files nor photos can be attached to PMs, and to my knowledge, that function can't be added.

The function is available to be added but in reference to resources included but not limited to server space, it has been decided to not implement.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"…we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Offline M1bzrk

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »
Many thanks Evenstar.  Very helpful for an old dog like me!

Offline Patriot Gal

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Camp Atterbury KD nine eleven
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »
Thanks for the info on inserting a pic to a PM.  Now I see that Mona Lisa face in the function icons.  (I just tend to ignore things I don't understand sometimes!!!)

Can't wait to try it!  O0
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Updated.  Just a slight edit due to some changes of the photo viewer on Facebook.

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline Johnnyappleseed

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Mingus ten oh six
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »

There are two basic ways to post pictures to the forum. The first method is by uploading the pictures as an attachment. The second is by inserting a URL from an external website into the text box (this method can also be used to add pictures to a PM).

Attaching pictures
To add pictures to your post, click on the words beneath the text box that say ‘Attachments and other options’.

Click ‘choose file’, and select the photo you wish to add.

You can add multiple pictures by selecting ‘more attachments’ (below the 'choose file' button) and repeating the process. Then simply click ‘post’. Your pictures will show up on the thread as thumbnails which can be enlarged or opened in a new tab/window.

Posting pictures in text box from an external website
This method of posting pictures makes for a nice presentation, and makes for ease in viewing them without having to enlarge attachments. It does require that you post your pictures elsewhere on the web (i.e. Facebook, photobucket, flicker, etc.) first. For this example, I’ll use Facebook.

Pull up the picture(s) that you want to post (make sure it doesn’t have the background that has the comment area on the right; if it does, refresh the page and it should pull up the basic layout). Right click the picture, and select ‘Copy image URL’.

Paste the URL over in the text box of your post, either by pressing ‘ctrl+v’ on your keyboard or right clicking in the text box and hitting ‘paste’. Next, highlight the URL, and click the ‘insert image’ button.

You can add multiple pictures this way too, and once you post, your pictures will end up like this:

This second method is helpful as it works well for posting, but also can be used to add a photo to a PM.
Elections have consequences!

Offline LittleMo

• RWVA Instructor
  • NY State Promotions Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Wondering if anyone has been having problems posting pics. I have previously successfully posted pics (last time about 2 months ago). Now I get:
An Error Has Occurred!
Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.
Please consult your server administrator for more information.

I get this just trying to post even just 1 picture. Each picture is about 3mb in size and the upload takes about 15 seconds roughly (I didnt time it). My previous pictures had been posted the same way as Evenstar has explained.
Suggestions?
Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
LittleMo,

I'm not exactly certain if this is your problem, but you may need to re-size your pictures (they might just be too big). I haven't had any trouble posting pictures, but I usually post them using the URL...

Hope that's helpful!

ES

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline Ratchett

• designated Shoot Boss
  • RAMSEUR.........8/13!!! Osage Beach ten oh nine
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
An Error Has Occurred!
Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

Getting same answer as Little Mo. Have resized, refoldered, re did everything I knew to re did ??? No luck...
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Offline GoldFish

• RWVA Instructor
  • "So Others May Live"
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Ratchett, how many pictures are you trying to post at a time?  It has said that in the past for me as well, and I ended up having to post fewer at a time, maybe 2 or 3 (sometimes even 1 at a time) instead of 4 or 5.

LittleMo, 3mb is still fairly big, and bigger than they really need to be for this forum.  I would try resizing one of them down to about 1mb, and then see what happens.

As a disclaimer, I've done this a few times, but I am no expert on this, and my brains aren't even in the same zip code as Evenstar's with regard to this stuff.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:32:36 PM by GoldFish »
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOɅΩN ɅABE         αδάμας 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
GF is spot on. If either of you are still having problems posting after re-sizing the files, etc., feel free to message me for my email address. You can send me the files; I'll mess with them and see what's up.

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline LittleMo

• RWVA Instructor
  • NY State Promotions Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
The file sizes are the same as the pictures I successfully posted before and within the maximum individual file size listed on the restrictions.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Offline Evenstar

• Appleseed Admin.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
The file sizes are the same as the pictures I successfully posted before and within the maximum individual file size listed on the restrictions.

Gary

In which case I suggest PMing scuzzy for a fix. Sounds more of an issue to do with forum/server space. Not sure...

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Deary 3/12!

Offline GoldFish

• RWVA Instructor
  • "So Others May Live"
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »

Gary

In which case I suggest PMing scuzzy for a fix. Sounds more of an issue to do with forum/server space. Not sure...

That's exactly what I would guess too.  I've had forum/server issues in the past that acted a lot like yours are, LittleMo, and scuzzy/Bill3 helped me out.

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

Online Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
I always shoot my pictures at the highest resolution and then I have to resize for the forum.

The resize that I have found to work well is to resize to 522 x 392 pixels.

Then you can post about 10 at a time without any trouble.

Also the whole picture is in the post without the reader having to scroll over to see all of it.

~Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual’s moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to “If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it’s something I simply want to do, then it is right and good.”

Offline GoldFish

• RWVA Instructor
  • "So Others May Live"
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
You're posting those by URL's, not by attachment, correct?

I always shoot my pictures at the highest resolution and then I have to resize for the forum.

The resize that I have found to work well is to resize to 522 x 392 pixels.

Then you can post about 10 at a time without any trouble.

Also the whole picture is in the post without the reader having to scroll over to see all of it.

~Two Wolves
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:44:49 PM by GoldFish »

Online Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
I click on " Attachments and other options"  Just below the box I'm typing in now. I don't know anything about you are els-(url) LOL! Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual’s moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to “If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it’s something I simply want to do, then it is right and good.”

Offline tinman5

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »
I just re-sized 3 pictures down to 800x450 and uploaded  with no problems.
If you think your leading, and no one is following, your just out for a walk. "Greg Ford"

Offline scuzzy

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
There a number of things that could cause this.

1. Too many pics and they are way to big. One thing mentioned was that some pics were 3 meg in size. This is huge!! I keep my pics well under 1 meg. You should realize too that not everybody has a super quick internet connection. While I haven't used dialup in years my connection is much less than my kids who live in town. It can really run slow sometimes. Especially if there are a bunch of pics on a page.

Pics really need to be resized before posting on the forum. There is a number of free 'photo editing' software out there. For windows there is GIMP and Paint.Net.

Gimp: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/GIMP%20%2B%20GTK%2B%20%28stable%20release%29/GIMP%202.8.2/gimp-2.8.2-setup-1.exe/download

Paint.Net: http://www.getpaint.net/

There are others too. The two listed above are ones I've used and liked.

UPDATE: Also you can reset your camera to take slight less high res photos to if the prospect of doing photo editing sounds like a pain.

2. Flakey internet connection - Yup, this can occur to anybody at any time. Even those with a really good quick internet provider. The internet is a very interconnected deal. When you go to a webpage you are actually making lots of 'hops' from one server to the next until you actually get to the website you are browsing. Sometimes the connection gets flakey during an upload and it just 'times out.' This simply means the computer you are sending to gets tired of waiting and says 'to heck with this.'

3. Forum limit. 10 Meg on an upload. This is quite reasonable. Just about 80% of the space on the forum server is due to pics. If no limit was applied I can well image we would have to upgrade our server just to get more space. And servers aren't free.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:33:37 AM by scuzzy »
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein.

They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards. - Chesty Puller.

.. Police were summoned to a daycare center where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.

Offline Vinnie

• RWVA Instructor
  • Isaac was a common man, as symbolized by his Plow.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
anyone care to guess how this page was made?:
 https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=33784.msg250285#msg250285
   (while you are viewing it, resize your screen bigger and smaller and watch what happens) :)
“Never limit yourself because of others' limited imagination;
never limit others because of your own limited imagination.”  – Dr. Mae Jemison,  astronaut

"Denial and deflection are poor substitutes for a well-reasoned presentation." - Vinnie

Offline SureShotSpartan

• designated Shoot Boss
  • I am a Patriot of the Republic.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:59 PM »
Anyone have helpful hints for uploading pics into the body of a post from a MAC?
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Offline Audrey

• Riflewoman
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
Anyone have helpful hints for uploading pics into the body of a post from a MAC?
The instructions for a Mac are the same. The difference is that the OS looks different, but you still browse the files and open the one you want to attach to your post.

Offline Steck

• designated Shoot Boss
  • "Ring of Fire" ain't just Johnny Cash.
Re: Posting Pictures (How To) - Flickr
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
Brain-free step-by-step Flickr instructions (thanks, Mutti!)

Upload photos from camera to Flickr
Double-click on a photo
Single-click on the group of 3 dots in the lower-right corner
Single-click on "View All Sizes"
Right-click in the center of the photo
Choose "Copy Image Location"
Open up Appleseed Forum
Paste into your post
Highlight what you just pasted (starts with http ends with .jpg)
Press the Insert Image button  (looks like binoculars in a box, above the row of smileys)