News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: New Philadelphia, OH - June 25-26, 2011

Started by RedNekEngr, June 27, 2011, 10:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedNekEngr

What a great weekend we had at one of the premier ranges is Appleseed.  TUSCO Rifle Club President Derek greeted us again warmly and made sure all of our accommodations were taken care of.  We couldn't have scripted better weather either (not that is matters too much with a covered range). ..:..  Temps in the high 70's to low 80's with modest cloud cover to full sun were the order of the two days.

We had an awesome group of 10 shooters all eager to learn, listen, and apply what was taught.   Even better yet, all shooters arrived early and were signed in BEFORE 8:30.  This allowed us to start early with Redcoats being posted at 9:05!!!!!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

We were able to hammer out two new riflemen on Saturday with another shooter re-qualifying.  Congratulations to Dave (218) and Doug (212) on those well earned patches! O0 O0

As is customary with the TUSCO range, Hombre Ligget brought us another inspired spiritual and patriotic message incorporating our founding fathers.  If you ever get an opportunity to hear him speak at an Appleseed, it will be one of the most enlightening messages you will ever hear.  I greatly appreciate the boldness of my brother in spirit. @)

Of course with the sweet 600 yard range at our disposal, we were able to practice some of the Known Distance lessons with silhouettes at 200 and 400 yards.  Those participating saw that this stuff taught at 25 meters really does work at KD.

We were also able to add to our ranks a Blue Hat.  Thanks Boltgunner for stepping up!!   :)  You and your father worked hard to make sure those little things were taken care of for everyone.  I really appreciate your work ethic and humbleness.

Also added to our midst of new instructors was Farmgunner.   O0  Thank you so much for accepting the invitation to further the traditions of our forefathers.  Your expertise with gunsmithing was indispensable on a few occasions too.   :bow: Your skills will enable you to add unique qualities that few of us have.

Others were very close to reaching that coveted goal of the rifleman patch.  David and Mike were in the 190's much of Sunday afternoon.  Mike, I like to say I'm sorry for "forcing" you to drop a wad of money on new equipment on Saturday night, but I'd be lying.   :cool2: You did an unbelievable job with that shiny new stock Ruger on Sunday.  I'm sure you'll be dialed in the next time.

And as always, I'd like to recognize my great co-workers for this event.  Most would call them friends, but they really are family.  RPD is my faithful "brother" always working extremely hard, LitlBit and Green Light (which are actually related), KAH, and Pink E.  Again I am so grateful to the Hall's for stepping up and totally changing their weekend plans to attend this event in order to cover my "emergency".  Your family is first class and Appleseed is a much better organization because of your unselfish and willing participation.

To the other shooters - John, Sara, Vern, Doug, and Joe - keep practicing those techniques your learned this weekend and you'll reach your goals.  Everyone improved dramatically throughout the weekend.

Thanks to all for making this shoot a memorable one for me personally.  I was a pleasure to work with all of you.   :bow: @)

RedNekEngr
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

RedNekEngr

A few pictures from the weekend.  RPD and KAH please add yours too.
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

KAH

I was happy that I was able to make the changes and be in New Philly this weekend.  Tusco is a great club, and thanks to Derek and the members for hosting us again!

Congratulations and thanks to the shooters who all came prepared to "drink from the firehose" and showed amazing progress and results!

RedNekEngr - thanks to you for your dedication and commitment to "play through the pain" and lead a great event.  It was a pleasure to work with RPD, Greenlight, LitlBit, Pink-E and Boltgunner.  Welcome to Farmguner, and thanks for making the commitment to Appleseed and taking the hat!

RNE has recapped the weekend pretty well already.  Here are a few more photos!

Take care,
kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

a few more~
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

more

KAH

Dougum

What a great weekend! Yes I changed my profile name from Boltgunner to Dougum thanks to Seth! Maybe I'll hit rifleman next time. To Mike and Sarah, Both keep working you are progressing very well. Other Doug Keep those rifleman scores coming. Farmguner, Congrats man take that hat on with pride. RedNekEngr, Great shootbossingI think you did a wonderful job. To all the rest it was good working with you and I hope to see you all on the trail soon.

Doug :---
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Coop

WOW, what a great weekend!

My daughter Sarah and I showed up planning on learning how to shoot with techniques to make us better.  Boy were we ever surprised!

We were shown hospitality, sharing, respect, modesty, integrity, compassion, passion . . . . . . . .

The whole weekend was a very positive experience.  Although Sarah got tired and needed a "break" each day, everyone understood.  All instruction was giving in a very constructive and persistent manner.  Yes, I started to remember my safety prior to leaving the line.

The history portion was interesting and informative.  The little known history was good to hear and told me exactly why we cannot be complacent.

THANKS to all.  We met some wonderful people and made some friends.

Those that are beginning to lose confidence in our upcoming generation need to come to an Appleseed event.  The young folks there reminded me what good parenting and good basic character can produce in a young American, how refreshing.

THANK YOU from Sarah and I, we will be back!!

Mike
Happy owner of TWO new long guns.  ;)

RPD

What an incredible weekend!  ^:)^
People:  Great Americans all.
Mike and Sarah, it was a pleasure to meet and work with you.  You were SOOOOO close Mike, that I thought for sure we'd be presenting you with a patch on Sunday.  Keep up the good work.  Sarah, it was a pleasure to work with you and teach you.  I look forward to seeing you and your Dad again soon.

John you had some great groups.  I know that you cannot come back for about a year, but we look forward to seeing you again then.  Having a friend like Doug to bring you out to learn more about our American Heritage and how to shoot is a blessingl
Doug - Congrat on the Patch.  Hopefully, you'll be able to find the time to get a nice Orange Hat soon.

David - Ohhhhh soooo close.  If you're able to get out more than once a year, I'm sure that the Patch is in your future.  Alas, I know that work and other obligations can get in the way of other pleasures.

Dave - Congrats to you to, Sir, for your perseverance and great attitude and success in earning your Rifleman's patch.  If you get a forum name I think "Hot Brass"  or "Hot Brass Dance" would be appropriate after being attacked by it from your friend, David.    :)

Vern and Doug M - Thank You for your work in getting things set up and helping with organizing. 

Joe:  Keep persevering.  Your great attitude and desire to learn both the History and the Marksmanship are commendable.  You were an apt student and the success that you had will only improve.  I look forward to seeing you the next time in New Philly.

Derek and the Tusco Rifle Range crew - you have a beautiful venue and your hospitality is much appreciated.

RedNek - one of, if not THE, smoothest shoots ever.  You are an inspiration and a joy to work with, my brother.

KAH - thanks for rearranging your schedule to help us out and bringing PinkE and Mary down to.   

GreenLight, Lil'Bit - ALWAYS a pleasure to work with "family" who are dedicated to the cause.
PinkE - I'll let you call any line, any time.  Much different than at the shoots in Athens. 

FarmGunner - Thanks for Taking the Orange Hat and for your expertise in working on malfunctioning rifles.  Your level of expertise in those areas was MUCH appreciated.

Hombre Liggitt:  A truly inspirational message about how our Lord worked and is working in our country.

Great Shoot, Great Heritage, Great Americans! ! !

-RPD
Some Pics:

*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

farmguner

As all the others have stated, it was a very fun weakend. Everyone maid improvement on their shooting skills, myself included. I accomplished one of my 2 goals for the weakend. RedNekEnginer thanks for letting me shoot your M1, that hit on paper at 400yds with irons was one of my goals for the weakend. The other was to clean the red coat target, I was very close on that one, :wall: but their will be other shoots. I was surprised with the results of the Starr shoot, :~ I think Coop had as much fun as I did. :--- I was surprised that RedNekEnginer invited me to take up the Orange hat, and I hope to live up to his expectations.

Dougum

RedNekEngr,

Thanks for letting me take a coupla shots with the M1 as well. I think It did my shoulder in for the weekend. It truely was a lot of fun shooting and a good experience on my shoulder and shooting skills.

Doug
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off