News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Ottawa, IL June 11-12

Started by Gumballhead, June 13, 2011, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumballhead

Hi everyone,

We had a great shoot this weekend.  Thank you to the Buffalo Shooting Park for their hospitality, and excellent facilities.  I truly enjoy coming to shoots in Ottawa.  We had a great group of shooters with us all weekend, and some most excellent weather as well.  We did get a little rain in the morning on Saturday, but by Ottawa standards, it was a drought! 

All of our students came willing to learn more about their country, and how to handle their equipment.  We saw equipment malfunctions, difficult ammo, but happy students.  As stated, the weather was great...Ottawa is known for its liquid sunshine, and this weekend we were glad to avoid it.  We got things rolling pretty quick with our redcoats, and determined our baseline for the weekend.  Our effective range was around 100y to begin with.  After a few rounds of instruction, groups not only appeared downrange, but they rapidly began to shrink.  By lunch, we were ready for some IMC, and the telling of the REAL Paul Revere's ride.  none of that nonsense you may or may not have seen on the TV lately.  After lunch, we intorduced seated, and transitions.  We looked at the clock, and had time for an AQT!  ^:)^.  20 minutes later, I'm asked to review an AQT for score...hmmm, could it be? 

Yes.  We had a man among us who knew what he was about.  Congratulations to Cody, shooting a 215, and joining the ranks of the IL Riflemen!  Great job my friend.  he shot his score using a loaner rifle, but closely following the instruction given.  Certainly an inspiration to us all.

I checked around for our other targets, and saw scores in the 170' and 180's.  We were doing well!  Saturday was over, and with instructions to consume fluids and Advil, we sent everyone home for the night.

back again for Sunday, we had all but one shooter return...but no fear, Outta Ammo and Joanne had a new shooter for us.  Young Kee would join us on the line Sunday!  Also joining us Sunday was Brown Bess Ed...and did he had his namesake with him?  We would have to wait to find out.  We hit the ground running with SAFETY and a review of Saturday's curriculum.  Great looking groups, and an increase in our effective range from the previous morning!  By lunchtime, it was time for an AQT, then it was onto the second strike!  We spent most of the afternoon doing AQT after AQT.  As things began to slow down, we had a team shoot to shake things up a bit.  With as many rounds as you can carry....LOAD!  All had a great time, but team 1 was the victor this day.  They claimed their spils, and we shot some more AQT's.  While we did not see any new riflemen Sunday, we have several soon-to-be riflemen.  Becca and Bob, you guys are almost there.  keep up the practice.  A few minutes of dry fire each night (ok, or a few times a week) will do wonders for you!

Before i go, another big thank you to Buffalo Rock, and your great facility.  Thank you to our students for taking time from their weekend to be with us, and to all my fellow instructors.  I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Bye :)
GBH

OutaAmmo

I could only make the Ottawa Event on Sunday. Had to do the the 4-H instructor thing on Saturday in DeWitt County where I have been 7th stepping to get some of the 4-H'ers to an Appleseed.

Great weather on Sunday and a good ratio of instructors to shooters.  Several shooters look like they will make their Rifleman score at the next Appleseed event. 

No TV's or Stars to shootout but it was fun to watch the shooters put a ton of lead down range at the Redman Target.

Great bunch of instructors to work with.

Overall another great Appleseed event.

OutaAmmo