News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Piru, CA June 11-12th 2011

Started by Mr Pete, June 13, 2011, 03:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

I wasn't sure where I was at first...I mean what is Piru without the heat, wind and dust?  An overcast 60 degrees in July was just, "Inconceivable!"

We had 12 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday.  Rifleman's heart in all of them as they got off the couch and showed up on time.  Even with all the aches, pains and equipment struggles they showed up even earlier on Sunday!?!  No riflemen but several were knocking at the door and ended up purchasing ROCs.

Pics and more to come later.  Please feel free to post comments.

A hearty thanks to the students and instructors for making this a great experience for all!
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

Some Photos at:  https://picasaweb.google.com/111314322473481263746/PiruCAJune1112th2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJC-68nx6_KPwgE&feat=directlink

Morning Redcoats were a rocky beginning and many had never touched a rifle before.  Out of the gate Joe was doing well.  Ms Mindy did well and so did Jager, Jayden and Anthony even though we had about 5 different equipment swaps.
Saturday Stats:

TargetSat AMSat PM
Bonus23

Mo's groups were great and he aquitted himself well with his stock sighted CZ bolt action.  As a matter of fact Drew and Evan both slogged through with stock sights and bolt action all through the first day.  Dad Brad worked that model 60 for all it was worth.  Persistance isn't something that can be taught!

Joe's years of trigger reset drills with a pistol definitely came in handy and he pulled out some fantastic groups.  Anthony definitely had the same stuff as his dad with excellent groups facing down many a frustrating issue.
Shain's first time out was great.  He picked up all the lessons well but found the less he thought the better he did.  Hope he keeps at it and finds that Zen place.

Paul turned in nice groups in standing but faced other challenges in prone...if we had more time he probably would have shot all stages while standing!  Ms Ann had moments of genius in her shooting and had exhibited fantastic muzzle control under...ahem...difficult circumstances.

On Sunday after Ball and Dummy most everyone had put it all together and we saw great improvement.  Biscuit and Brad worked together to turn in a 3MOA group on B&D.  Battered and tired the students stopped thinking about it and just started shooting.  Together they even completed a 55 second stage 2 in 45 seconds with great results!

Paul made the ultimate sacrifice on the Redcoats by shooting Ann's and leaving himself to be bayonetted!  (That is my story and I'm sticking to it!)  All shooters showed great improvement and the last pop quiz definitely proves that!

Sunday Stats:

TargetSun AMSun PM
Bonus04

Brad and Joe were both in the race and will most likely get it next time.  Make use of those ROCs!

Scott1600 definitely worked for his promotion from IIT1 to IIT2.  By the end of the day he was reading my mind.  Biscuit's legendary persistance helped many a shooter and I was glad to have him there.  A special thanks goes out to Dano...the host with the most who made our party possible!

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Kwai Chang Shain

On behalf of all the attendees (hopefully not overly-presumptuous), I'd like to formally express thanks and kudos for the precious time, tremendous efforts, and indelible commitment/passion of all the instructors at this shoot (and by extension, all instructors at all shoots).

On Saturday, it was "Mr Pete", "Biscuit", "Scott1600", and "Dano".  Around noon on Sunday, they were joined in the afternoon by "Hollywood Marine" and "Kool Aid".  Later, we experienced a brief visit and pep talk from the owner of the range, Mr. Mike Thompson ...  thanks to all!

The students too further confirmed my experience that the nicest, most respectful, and most polite individuals I've met, in  general, were at shooting ranges ...  thanks to you too!  [Everybody stayed to help break down and clean up; classy 'til the end.]
"By refusing to admit to themselves the nature of that which they are accepting; the people who support plans specifically designed to achieve serfdom, but hide behind the empty assertion that they are lovers of freedom, with no concrete meaning attached to the word ...  They expect, when they find themselves in a world of bloody ruins and concentration camps, to escape moral responsibility by wailing: 'But I didn't mean this!'" - Ayn Rand

Johnnyappleseed

Good shoot folks O0
KCS welcome aboard ,good 1st post.

Great avatar  :cool2:
"Who is John Galt" lol
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Scott1600

KCS, I couldn't agree more!  With very few exceptions I have found your observations to be spot on!
Thanks and congrats to all the shooters!  You guys were the bee's knees! 
In addition to all the rifles, ammo, water, sun-tan lotion, folding chairs, lunch and stuff you gotta bring, you guys all brought something that you can't pack in a bag or throw in the trunk of your car...  A teachable attitude! O0
Thank you all, it is a pleasure and privilege to get to meet and teach so many great Americans!
Until next time our paths may cross,
Be well and..
-POP QUIZ:  What does NPOA stand for and how do you check it?   ~~:)
Okay, seriously... Great job everybody, hope to see you again!  :)
-Scott 
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Pelicandriver

+1 to Shain's comments.  Thanks to all for a great experience!

Mr Pete

You are very welcome!

Thanks to you I have a new restaurant to try in Newport Beach  ;)

-Peter

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome Pelican driver.
Does your name have something to do with the US Navy? ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge