News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bedford, IN June 11-12

Started by POC, June 12, 2011, 02:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

A good first day.  Lots of kids on the line.
I can't make the second day, family commitments elsewhere.
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

techres

What a wonderful Saturday!

On a beautiful morning the Bedford crew gathered with a great bunch of American patriots.  As soon as the safety briefing was over, it was time to start on the Red Coats.

Then it was time to get down to learning in the instruction circle!

And after each piece of instruction the shooters got down to shooting:

I had to leave early due to personal matters, but as I left, IMC was done and it was soon to be lunch time.

I wish I could have stayed longer and am sure these students were on their way to a great weekend!

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

POC

Quote from: techres on June 12, 2011, 12:36:13 PM

Isn't it something how you see a picture and wonder, "what in the world??"  I do not remember TBE showing me a dance move yesterday.

yellowhousejake

Just to be clear, SPQR made his first contribution to the Indiana Skunk Works in the form of the "Hokey Pokey Circle of Instruction". Every student must have at least one foot in the circle before instruction begins.

It was a complete success. I will be implementing it at every shoot I do.

O0

YHJ

PS. It might have been TBE's clear and trustworthy delivery of the POI that held everyone's attention, but I'll give SPQR this one.
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Chilidog

If you lost something, I got a pile of stuff left over. What a great shoot! What a great bunch of people to have on the line! Our all volunteer staff of instructors as always was awesome! Congratulations to our lady's who made Rifleman and to OREO for re-qualifying! Way to go!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

SPQR

I would like to offer a special thanks to the shooters for this lovely Bedford shoot.  I would also like to offer a special thanks to the parents.  Since this shooter was mostly junior shooters, and almost exclusively families, I believe that is shows a specific statement on the part of the parents to take personal responsibility to ensure that their children can connect with the echos of our forefather's ambitions. 

I tell you I really worry about working with kids.  I step onto a line and I see a bunch of yoots and a little voice in the back of my head says, "Don't go too fast.  Slow this down to ankle biter speed."  I tell you I don't know why.  Every time I think that and yet every time I am consistently impressed with the eagerness, maturity, wherewithal, and perseverance of younger shooters.  Not only that, but it seems like every time I step off the line my mind drifts back into the fog of a moments where I got down on the line with a younger shooter and offered some small suggestion or imparted a bit of wisdom and saw them soak it up.  Not in some obnoxious, placating way to satisfy an elder but in a serious, focused way that tells me that somewhere inside of this mere child is something greater. 

In there somewhere is the heart of an American.  There is a person who wants to learn, to know something they didn't know before.  There is an explorer, and adventurer, that seeks to find answers and provide solutions.  There is a person who can be trusted, not only to provide for their individual liberties, but who can hold a sense of responsibility for their community.  There is civitas.

It is almost as the legendary SPQR, optimus maximus, is capable of letting Appleseed help him make himself better.

Pictures to come     
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

SPQR

morning lessons

Its almost like the voodoo of IMC works.  Notice here how our young elk hunter has gotten over a breathing cadence issue, created solid, round groups in the upper left and then made a 1.5 moa adjustment and started holing the black in the bottom left.

Welcome to the Bedford Contingent

Auntiebellum is thinking about a nap.   MMMMMMM naps.

What are all these students looking at?

IT'S OUR STATE COORDINATOR DOING AN AQT DEMO!

That SPQR is a weirdo!

Atlas

Our winners of Parker's Revenge

Our young elk hunter proves her worth.  I am particularly proud of this one as she soaked up instruction from a variety of instructors as well as any student I have seen.  This one is proof positive that the greater the teachable attitude the greater the marksman.

Jacey gets her patch from a proud Chilidog.

Its huggin time!  Aw, Dad, you're embarrassing me!

Bomb signin'

TBE works some yoots through the manual for an AR

Its CLOBBERIN TIME!

"Upon yon rise rests those dreaded Regulars who would remove from us our sacred Liberty!"

"Fear not, Madame, for by the hand of Providence and John Garand I will deliver upon these men the justice of our forefathers."

Boom!  PING!

The Regulars are lucky that we left most of the moms at home because a momma bear is a giant when she knows how to shoot.

Caught the old Garand cylcing, Box o Truth style

Even Luke got into the swing of things with Dad looking on.  Lake City comin at you!

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

As always, the Bedford Contingent delivers!  What a great weekend!  A line full of Patriot families, all excited and ready to learn about both the marksmanship and the sacrifices made on that fateful day in 1775.  We had an attentive group, and everybody left with something - a skill to improve their shooting, a twinge of urgency to do something to get involved today, and maybe even a smile like you see above on Luke's face before the M1 ammo even hits the ground.

Jaycee - I hearby dub you the cover model for the Bedford Contingent.  I thought the fried chicken was a pretty good reason to visit the BC, but anyone not convinced would certainly be so if they see your radiant smile signing that bomb!  Congrats to all of our Riflemen - Jaycee, Hayley, and good ol' Oreo.  Can I see your shell?

I've also never seen so many youth grinning after doing some math.  Perhaps math teachers should take their students to the range every once in awhile so they can see the results of their calculations???   ;)

You are obviously all good people.  Not just pleasant, but truly good folk.  So I know you'll remember, contemplate, and do something with everything you learned this weekend.  I look forward to seeing you at the BC again soon (although ya'll know you're welcome to any Appleseed, anytime!).   
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

TBE

I would like to thank all of the parents who brought their children this weekend.  I hope you learned, I hope you enjoyed and I hope you grew closer as families and community.  You might not realize, but you did a great thing for me. 

I am constantly bombarded, day in, day out, with lies about how dark our nation's future is.  People on the news, people at my work, people in the shops and on the streets constantly spew pessimistic nonsense about how our country is doomed to ruin because of the low character of the new generation.  I hear nonstop grimness about how the youth of our nation are lazy, undisciplined, soft of spirit, disrespectful and have no interest in challenge and hard work. 

Those idiots who say such things should turn off their television and come out to Bedford. 

The youth in attendance this weekend were safe, courteous and diligent in their efforts.  Every one of them treated me with total respect and kindness and were quick to take advice and instruction.  They held up under brutal summer heat and the blistering pace of instruction.  They were academically gifted and picked up on the mathematics of IMC with great quickness.  They all showed fine marksmanship skills as was evidenced by their 3 Rifleman patches, shrinking groups, increasing scores, and ringing steel at 100 yards.  I was so proud to see our youth encouraging and comforting each other during our long days.   

These youth provided a much needed boost to my hopes for our great republic, so I am in debt to the families who are raising such fine young people.  Parents, be proud of your children.  Neighbors be proud of your community.  I am grateful to be allowed in your company.         

Chili and The Bedford Contingent, I will someday brag to my grandchildren that I worked with such high sons of liberty.   
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Two Wolves

I am most impressed!

Top notch instructor crew for sure.

SPQR, you really nailed this one!

In there somewhere is the heart of an American.  There is a person who wants to learn, to know something they didn't know before.  There is an explorer, and adventurer, that seeks to find answers and provide solutions.  There is a person who can be trusted, not only to provide for their individual liberties, but who can hold a sense of responsibility for their community.  There is civitas.

It is almost as the legendary SPQR, optimus maximus, is capable of letting Appleseed help him make himself better.

O0  O0  O0  O0
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Niecie

If you have not attended a Bedford Appleseed as a student, or as an instructor, by all means remedy that!! The combination of a beautiful range, outstanding instructors, eager and excited students, and the most generous and gracious hosts, make Bedford shoots the bomb! **) What a fantastic weekend. So wonderful to see our future in such great hands! Thank you to the parents for bring such wonderful Americans out for the History, Marksmanship, and yes, even Math. They all seemed to love it.

Thank you so much to the Bedford Contingent for all you do for this program! Special thanks to Mrs. Chilidog for the meals that no other range can top  :bow: I mean who else gets amazing meal like subs and fix'ns  and Sunday fried chicken!! We are so lucky to have you and you underscore the necessity (in this case luxury) for cooks, too!  ;)

Congratulations to our new and re-qualifying Riflemen! We hope to see everyone at another Appleseed soon.

Niecie

Here are some photos from the weekend:

Things We Learned at this Bedford Appleseed
We were blessed with beautiful weather. God loves Appleseeds  :)

The Bomb

We are always greeted with joy by our hosts...

Chili-dog - always ready to fill any job

HQ demos the newly dubbed Jungle Cat position

SPQRs newest invention - the Hokey-Pokey Circle of Instruction

Giggling annoys the Shoot Boss  :D Getting pelted in the face annoys Sophie

Stop chasing the shot (scope taped down)

Stop draggin' wood

Get a good cheek weld - and keep it

Learn History - Special thanks to Auntie Bellum for the flag presentation O0

And... Most of all, have a safe FUN shoot!

Until next time... keep up the great spirit of Appleseed!

yellowhousejake

I do love this place.

Is it the range? Well it does teach you that seated is the best position for uneven ground.

Is it the people? I meet true Americans everywhere I go to Appleseeds.

Is it the weather? Well, we do seem to get favorable weather in Bedford.

I think it is the one mind mentality. We do not have to do a lot of convincing, the message is generally delivered before we get there. I love this place.

We saw much improvement, a lot of growth, all junior Riflemen. I would agree with SQPR here. I've said it before and I will say it again. Bring me any man who thinks the next the next generation has nothing to offer, and I will show you a man who has offered nothing to the next generation.

These kids are willing to step up, willing to learn, and eager to take their place as Americans. They just need to know how, and Appleseed is giving them a course to follow. They never let me down. My thanks to our students who made a great weekend fantastic, and a big thanks to the parents who brought their kids. I truly enjoyed working with every one of them.

Yellowhousejake

--- A small shout out to Oreo. He showed true rifleman blood when we took away his targets all day Sunday and never let him see a one, we inserted an instructor into his rifleman's dance. His feed back came only from me. While it was trying, and he had to learn to trust me, I think he came away with a greater trust in himself. He took the instruction and applied it blindly... and re-qualified. This was a hurdle for him, but now he knows he can do it. None of the instructors had any doubt. My hats off to you Oreo, you earned it.

I believe I need to have a 1907 sling for you when I next come to Bedford.
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

POC

My pictures:

Jungle Cat

The rain began on my way home.
Oh, BTW, left 16th St at 9:14, got chinese for the wife in Mitchell, got home 9:47.

HQ

It was an absolutely gorgeous weekend.  (if you had sunscreen on)  Congratulations to everyone on the line! I really enjoyed working with all of you.

I will say my favorite part of the weekend was seeing our brand new rifleman get down behind the M1.  Her smile when she stood up was priceless!  And it was even better when our smallest shooters of the weekend stepped up.  Not about to be stood up by an older SISTER!!!

I'm sure both boys are wearing their bruises proudly this week!!!

Great shoot!  I can't wait till September!!!

KYWindage

Wow!
After hearing about all of the fun and comraderie that everyone experienced at the recent shindig at the BC, I'm pained to have missed it. Congrats to the new quals and requals! Hope see the old/new faces along the appleseed trail soon.
-KYWindage
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct