News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

First Aid Training

Started by gpbbiker, June 09, 2011, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpbbiker

Good Morning!
Here is an Idea that ][rishman, Greg in Mo and I discussed at the Kansas RBC. One of the responsibilities of a Shoot Boss is to determine within his/her group of shooters, those who have "medical experience" or training in case an injury occurs. Sometimes that "medical experience" is nothing more than the training we volunteers bring with us.
Now, most of us have some sort of medical training. It might be basic first aid; it might be CPR or some combination. But, I would venture a guess that most of us don't have much training when it comes to large trauma. Trauma you would likely be exposed to in a farm accident, automobile wreck or shooting accident. It doesn't take a statistical wizard to figure out that for most of us, the likely-hood of being involved in any of these is higher than it would be for most folks. I personally have been the first on scene of a number of auto accidents, one involving a fatality, SO.. I personally think I need to upgrade my skill set.
Hutchinson Junior College has an excellent Police/EMT/Fireman program in which part of the curriculum is offered to Business/Industry. I have contacted them about putting on a one day/ 8 hour first aid course that would include large trauma and gunshot wounds. I would LOVE to have as many appleseeders there as possible! Why?? Because that way we know that we are all on the same page when it comes to first aid. Experience has taught me, if you have it, you will use it. It's sorta Cosmic that way. Having multiple highly trained people on site is a good thing.
The Course will cost about $900-$1000 to put on. I am perfectly willing to foot the costs up front to make sure this happens. So how much will it cost you?? I am willing to cap the costs at $90.00 per person and frankly, given optimum class size we will cut the class size off at 16 people. 16 into $1000 makes it $62.50 per person.
We are working on a date, probably a Saturday in late October or early November and will advise you so please give feedback on what works for you! And it will be held in Newton as it is centrally located with good food and hotels for those folks who would come in from surrounding states.
Please, seriously consider this offer. It's not just about Appleseed; it is one of those ways we can make our buckets just a little bit larger for our families and communities. And any one is welcome! It matters not if they are an Appleseed Volunteer or just an average joe/jane.
Let me know!
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

ksuguy

I would be interested.  However october will be a busy month for me with the wedding.  I would need to know the specific schedule before I could fully commit.

Greg in MO

Remember that the Osage RBC is in October and many MO instructors (and hopefully a couple KS ones) will be there.

Greg

gpbbiker

As of today the two dates I am looking at are; Saturday October 29th and Saturday November 5th.
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

4bfox

I would vote for Nov 5....it's far enough out we can push the Eureka shoot back to Nov 12-13th.

Sounds like a great idea to me....I take it this would be held on HJC's campus?

Ben
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

gpbbiker

I am looking to have the Class take place in Newton as Food and Housing are readily available here. Cheap rooms can account for a lot!!  :)

4bfox

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

MOGromit

I vote for Nov. 5th as well.

Remember, remember the 5th of November......

MOGromit

Francis Marion

If I may add a few thoughts; no intent to distract from the laudable purpose of this thread.  Training is helpful from professional healthcare providers, however many or few hours in span.   That's good and  commendable. 

In addition, I would very strongly encourage you to devote an entire semester to attend an EMT class, and pass the EMT certification test. 

This class prepares you to buy precious minutes of life for people until medical professionals show up. 

People perish for lack of knowledge- for want of caregivers who know what needs to be done.   

Look up an EMT class at your local community college, there's a good chance you can find one.  Working stiff? Take an evening class. 

Ask your employer if they'll help pay the cost as you'll be a lifesaver at work at the end of the process.

Have elderly family members?  You'll need to help them out at some point.   

We now return to your regular broadcast...

techres

Quote from: Francis Marion on June 10, 2011, 01:42:07 AM
Look up an EMT class at your local community college, there's a good chance you can find one.  Working stiff? Take an evening class. 

Superb advice!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

dalesp

Quote from: Francis Marion on June 10, 2011, 01:42:07 AM

Been there . . Done that . .  Got the bad back to prove it . . .   But if you haven't and can make the commitment it is a good skillset to have.

It will be nice to have a refresher - and GSW specific training would be great.

I think the November date would work best for me.

--dale
"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."
                          ~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)

Brumley Dog

I'm in for November 5th.

The ][rishman

Biker, Illegitimi non Carborundum.

This is a great idea and very much in line with the AS philosophy. I.E. rack grade rifle, ball ammo, 4 M.O.A.

The skillset, as presented, will be good enough. 

I will be present, as will my wife.

Thank you for making this happen. 

Nov. 5th will work for us. 

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

Brumley Dog

I thought this was going to be on November 5th. The 12th is the opening day of deer season in Missouri and I have a feeling a lot of our instructors will be "busy."

BD

gpbbiker

We tried to get the 5th, unfortunately it was already double booked by the folks teaching. SOOO.... the next available date was the 12th. Sad to say, but conflicts are inevitable

The ][rishman

III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

Capn Cook

I can attend any weekend in November, so plan on me attending. Thanks.