News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Gibsonburg OH May 28-29, 2011

Started by Miki, May 30, 2011, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miki

What a way to get the Memorial Day weekend started off right, shooting and listening to stories of our unique heritage!

We started off the morning with Posterboy presenting Robert with an orange hat. Huzzah!

Our attentive shooters were echoing back safety rules in no time and we moved to the line under perfect weather to start throwing lead downrange. The improvement demonstrated by the shooters from Saturday morning to the final Red Coat of the day was amazing. They implemented what they learned and we ended the day with four repeat riflemen, John, Lorri, David and Raygun and one new rifleman Bowchik. She proved she was a rifleman Saturday and just to convince us it wasn't a fluke followed it up with a score of 234 on Sunday!

All present listened with rapt attention to the history presentations. One of my favorite parts of Appleseed is getting to listen to folks I haven't heard before present the history and I was extremely impressed with what I heard. The shooters appreciation of the history was evident in their thunderous applause.

Saturday ended with John stepping up to take an orange hat. Again I say, Huzzah!

Sunday dawned warm with the promise to get HOT. And get HOT it did. But, the shooters persisted through the sunny 94 degrees with the help of copious amounts of water and sunscreen.

After lunch and a KD lesson we headed over to the 500-yard range to listen to that lovely pinging sound lead makes when it hits steel. Shooters practiced their new skill of working in teams and had a chance to be both shooter and spotter. With everyone grinning from ear to ear we headed back to the 25-meter line for a couple more AQTs.

It was a great weekend and I truly enjoyed my time at 'the black swamp'. I know many of the shooters present will be back again and I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Thank you all for getting off the couch and out of the air conditioning to spend your weekend with us!

Respectfully,

Miki

Bowchik

Raygun and I had a great time this weekend. I was a tiny bit unsure about shooting a rifle, since my expertise is with a bow... Especially since last Saturday (5/16) was the first time I ever shot a rifle of any kind!! I was happy to see that NPOA does carry over even though I had only shot a rifle 2 times before attending. Raygun and I were both looking forward to seeing how a professional tournament archer would do if a gun was put in their hands.  :) He says he is thrilled with how I shot, but also a little humbled that I 'kicked his butt'..^:)^ Told him he needs to 'shoot like a girl'.........

I will definitely attend another weekend when my tournament travel schedule allows. Fall will probably be the best time for me to come again.. Plus, it will be MUCH cooler! Shooting the 'big gun' at 500yds was pretty cool (since I'm a long distance archer- 77 -100yds).. It's definitely cool to see the paint disappear in the heart area at that awesome distance!!  O0 Can't wait to do that again!!!

Thanks to all the red hats, as well as the orange hats, for all their hard work to make the two days fun, challenging and interesting.

Lisa

Here is setting up the line on Fri night with our future rifleman helping......

Lisa

Just a few pics taken.......... :o

Lisa

:D

Lisa

..:..

Miki

Lisa,

Thanks for the pics! Anyone else got pics? Bueller, Bueller, anyone?

Oh, and did I mention thanks for keeping us fed? You rock!

TRB

This past weekend my family and I had the opportunity to attend the Appleseed event in Gibsonburg OH.
First I would like to thank the entire Appleseed staff, what a fantastic job!  The knowledge, patience, and zeal was incredible...  While watching one of the instructors spend no less than 3hrs with my youngest daughters (just one example) I continued to remind myself "This is a volunteer organization?"  Hats off to the entire group, and thank you!

Regarding the experience a few points:
1.  I was a little concerned regarding the vast skill levels ( there were experts down to total novices like my family) - No issue, due to the fact we had lots of helpers that was clearly priceless.
2.  An additional concern was the handling of my crew (my wife and 4 daughters ages 12 to 16)-  The instructors immediately stepped in and took allot of the burden off my shoulders.  I would not have asked for as much help as they provided - but surly appreciative as it made for an environment that each kept their head in the game and kept me from going nuts.
3.  The blend of History and shooting skills was very well balanced... Great education and a great break from the heat at the appropriate times.
4.  I would recommend one of these events from either end of the spectrum (novice to expert).  Additionally, for those who enjoy history. 

It was great "eye opener" to remember on this important weekend (Memorial day).  Freedom is not free, thus we remember those who scarified all to provide freedom for us.

We look forward to returning to other Appleseed events.

Thanks again
The Bosler Family (TRB)

Gordon

Thanks for the gracious and informative recap, T.B. It was great having you all out there on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you all again!
-Gordon