News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blackfoot ID May 21-22, 2011

Started by Mark Davis, May 20, 2011, 10:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Just getting out the door for the drive to Blackfoot, bringing rain gear and gun cleaning supplies. Looking forward to meeting Critical Mass, ID Hezekiah, Dresden James and all the shooters who are comming out to burn some powder and share the heritage.
Post your thoughts here.
Mark Davis AKA clodhopper

ID_Hezekiah

Same here, Clodhopper - drive safe.  Hopefully raingear won't be critical, but we've had quite a spell of gusty winds and everyone should put extra staples in their kits.  Event is fully registered and I'm itching to get on the line with multiple rifles and share the heritage during breaks from the shooting.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Roland

Good luck to the other Idaho shoot... hope to make it down to that range some day.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Dresden James

To All:

The range is set up and ready to go.  Make sure to come prepared for all types of weather and pray for sunshine!  The range is in excellent shape and the instructor team is looking forward to a great shoot.  We will be there early.  As a note to all that may read this before tomorrow, remember to leave your cased rifles in the vehicles until directed by the instructor team to retrieve them.  I will be there to help remind all participants.  We will direct folks to check in inside the club house.  I think we're ready to go and I'm stoked that this event filled up.  We hope to see a lot of new "Riflemen" this weekend.  See you all there! 
DJ
"When a well packaged web of lies has been gradually sold to the masses over generations, the Truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."  -DJ

TruTenacity

Thanks for covering this event, clodhopper et al!  Sorry we couldn't help out.

Two different folks contacted RWVA via the gmail account asking if they can show up for the event since they weren't able to get signed up due to the event being sold out.

I told them if they lived close by they should show up in the morning just in case there are no-shows, but to be aware there may not be room for them if everyone that pre-registered does show up.

I can't wait to hear about the event.

TT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

ID_Hezekiah

Well, I just dragged in from the first day.  We had great weather, mostly sunny with mild breezes (quite a change from the last several weeks of very gusty winds).  Did get some afternoon cloud cover, but no rain.  Awarded one rifleman patch and I scored rifleman with my Colt AR H-BAR Sportster, so it's on to the Springfield M1A tomorrow and maybe even my Garand and 1903A3.  We are planning to shoot some KD up on the big bore range tomorrow (it was closed for the club's regular monthly black powder cartridge metallic silhouette match today).  Things went very well and I'm looking forward to a hot shower, some supper and a good night's sleep so I'll be ready for 30 caliber tomorrow.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Mark Davis

Just arrived home, what a great weekend!
29 eager shooters saterday 15 Sunday.
Some new to shooting and some with considerable experience.
5 new Riflemen.
Very nice range, we fired from a lawn.

Reformed Redneck

Great work you guys! It is always a pleasure to get good news from the other side of the pass.

RR
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Critical Mass

This was our second sponsored JA event at Cedar Hills, and it filled up / sold out just like the previous one.  We've got a couple of great promoters within the JA ranks, and a building cadre of advocates that are helping spread the word about these events.  The next JA event at CHGC will be Sept 17 & 18.

Yup, we had 32 people signed up for the 30 slots and 27 attended the first day. From neophytes ("never fired a gun before in my life and only bought this one last night!") to previous attendees with all the gear and a couple of rifleman patches to prove it.  I saw a lot of improvement in everyone's shooting skills over the two days thanks to the excellent coaching and the individual attention provided by Mark and Rod and Rob to the many shooters having one problem or another.

Speaking of problems, I'd like to make a point about equipment.  We know people can only shoot what they 'brung', and you will learn to shoot better at these events.  Still and all, if your gun or ammo is giving you problems, it takes away from the opportunity to focus on the skill sets the instructors are trying to get across to you the shooter.  Yes, the staff comes as prepared as we can to deal with the equipment problems and deficiencies that crop up, but we can't promise to be able to solve all of them.

Hearty congratulations to the five who achieved rifleman distinction.  And to those who are still striving?  Well, we hope to see you at the next event. 
Fear out of experience is to be . . . conquered,
Fear out of ignorance is to be . . . STUPID!

Johnnyappleseed

Idaho ---men and women who truly know what they are about  O0
Hi to all and Congratulations to the 5 new Riflemen.

CM did you bring that fantastic 22 ? As I recall a 1st time attendee (woman)lol fired a 240 after you loaned it to her  ;D

DJ everytime a read your signature line my pea brain goes into overload  O0
Will need to research Dresden James,quote is sure accurate .

JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TruTenacity

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on May 26, 2011, 01:27:49 AM
DJ everytime a read your signature line my pea brain goes into overload  O0
Will need to research Dresden James,quote is sure accurate .

I was intrigued by DJ's signature line too so I did a bit of research.  I'm still trying to find out who Dresden James is.  It looks like someone using a pseudonym.  Regardless, here is an expanded quote:

"A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. When a well-packed web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

$awdust

It was good weather and a lot of fun!

$awdust

Mark Davis

I have no pictures, Dersden James has some and a lady by the name od Rachel took some. So far, none posted.

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx for the info on Dresden James ,Tru.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Dresden James

JA, glad the signature quote makes people think - that's really the intent.  Great to hear from you and the shoot was again a real success.  I think I hooked a person into being a true shooter.  She had NEVER even fired a firearm before.  Now she's signing up for at least one more Appleseed.  She enjoyed herself so much that she's invited one of her coworkers to come out and give Appleseed a try!  Glad you enjoyed the 5000 Year Leap.  I think it's a must read for every citizen BEFORE they are allowed to vote.  We'd definitely see things change for the better.

$awdust, the pics are coming.  Just need to find out how to upload them into the AAR forum.  Clodhopper, any suggestions?  Thanks.

DJ
"When a well packaged web of lies has been gradually sold to the masses over generations, the Truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."  -DJ

Mark Davis

Dersden,
Hoping Necee can help you out.
Jonnyappleseed, Do you want to come back to Blackfoot in Sept? I'm have an appleseed that weekend just 45 miles from home.
Threre just aren't many appleseed instructors in east Idaho yet.

s4b1106

Well, it took me a while to get my act together and get signed on the forum but I finally did it.  I really want to thank all those who took the time and effort to put together the shoot.  I had a great time and it was wonderful getting to shoot with my daughter for two whole days without having to worry about laundry and dishes and mowing and working and all the day to day distractions that we have.  Clodhopper, thanks for not splitting us up.  I also appreciate just getting in the trigger time.  I don't get to shoot that much anymore.  One of the reasons that I got to be an instructor in my department was because I was a good shot.  Unfortunately, as I am sure some of you know, when you get to be an instructor, you don't get to shoot much anymore.  And, I gotta tell you, even though I am an acceptable tactical shooter, those targets are tough!  Both my .22 and my daughter's .22 are going through some changes before you see us again in the fall!  It is absolutely true that if your equipment is not up to the task, it detracts from the learning experience!  Thanks for the help getting my rifle capable of shooting.  I wouldn't have gotten a patch without all of your help, both on and off of the firing line.  Hopefully we will see you in September!

Johnnyappleseed

Hi all,
DJ way to go  O0 , rewarding to see new folks enjoy the sport of free  people O0
Unlike golf ,shooting is something we acutually get better at  ::)

Clod ,I sure would enjoy doing Blackfoot again . Am checking my schedule right now .
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,

I am thinking of visiting my favorite second born nephew and his family in September.
They/he is serving in the USAF @ Mountain Home. I have already planted the Appleseed bug in his ear and he is enthused with the possibility of attending!

Should things work out, may I attend this event as an Instructor?

Here's hoping to meet a bunch of ya'll soon!!!

"...till we meet again..." HappyTrails,

Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Mark Davis

Jerry,
All I can say is that I will be at Three Forks Montana doing Appleseed that weekend.
There are very few instructors in that part of Idaho.
A shoot boss will have to come from out of the area.
An extra shoot boss will be a plus.

ID_Hezekiah

CriticalMass and DresdenJames have been IITs for the first two Blackfoot events and may be available.  We do need a "traveler" Shoot Boss at the moment in SE Idaho.  I've seventh-stepped and served my first IIT with RL over in Jackson June 11-12, but I thought that I may participate in the upcoming Blackfoot shoot to further hone my rifleman skills and hoping that we may get a chance to shoot some KD on the big-bore range this time out.  I do know that Appleseed is now known in the area and I'm certain the event will be fully registered again. We would love to have you come over again, Johnny Appleseed, and hope you can make it.

s4b1106

Here is a pic of my daughter waiting to return to the firing line on Sunday.  She shot well, but just missed getting her patch.

Johnnyappleseed

ID_ Hezekiah
I have signed up for the Sept Blackfoot shoot.

Jerry Hall has generously signed on as well . I appreciate his help . With Jerry and all you great Idaho folks ,this event will be special  O0

See you all in Sept.
JA
Calvin Coolidge