News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Wells, MN May 14-15, 2011

Started by vmt193, May 16, 2011, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

What can I say? Another in a series of spring Appleseeds here in the Upper Midwest to test the mettle of any Rifleman.

Saturday was pretty much a constant rain with windy conditions and a high for the day topping out at about 41°.  The rain continued all night but by Sunday morning the sun started to shine through and all we had to deal with were 30+ MPH winds.  ( I think some gusts were probably well over 40.)

Not only did the weather man not scare off the pre-registered shooters, but we had 5 walk-ons join us to drink from the fire hose. Mark and Alex even made a surprise appearance to show us how things are done in Iowa.

The conditions were terrible but this was a tough crew and I never heard a complaint from anyone. I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with keeping scores down but we still had many that were shooting in the high 180s, 190s, and low 200s. I'm confident we would have had 40%-50% rifleman without the wind.

Dan, Jon and Steven all made huge improvements. Jim who could only make it for Saturday was shooting some mighty fine groups. Shawn and Jason who were veterans of last years Rochester AS, brought along their buddy Nick and if they make good use of their new ROCs, I expect there will be a trio of Rifleman patches hitting the road at their next event.  O0

And Randy decided that a nice windy day like Sunday was a good excuse to break out the AR and throw some centerfire into the wind. With several AQTs scoring in the low 200s and an ROC in his pocket, I can't wait to see him on the line again. (And bring your daughter, Randy.) Maybe she can show us a thing or two about how it's done in 4H.  :~

My fellow instructors were great and I don't even remember them whining much at all.  ^-^

And finally, I want to thank the Well's Rifle and Pistol Club for a great facility and for providing HOT pizzas for the gang on Saturday and topping that off with brats and kraut on Sunday.  ^:)^  We can't wait to come back in September.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

mike/vmt193

BuzzG

Mike is right. What a great group of shooters to work with. All were muddy and cold on Saturday and not one complaint. They came back for more on Sunday and stayed till the end. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you on another weekend.

Here are a few pictures.