News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Waterman, IL May 7 - May 8

Started by Gumballhead, May 06, 2011, 12:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumballhead

Going to be a good weekend!  Forecast calls for mid 60's (65 anyone?!) mostly sunny, maybe a little rain.  Get your rain gear out, an come and join us.  About 20 signed up so far, room for twice that! 

See you there!

Machine

Thank you again for the rifle training. I was surprised that we dodged the rain Saturday. It was an enjoyable weekend with a great bunch of folks.

I appreciate that the instructors stuck around and let me try a few more targets. I wish my old eyes had something left, but maybe next time.

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

- Thomas Paine

2 clicks low

It didn't rain on Saturday. Was sunny on Sunday. No mud. No tornado. Not sure where I was at, This is not the Waterman I know.  >:D

Great weekend. Alas no Rifleman. Several close, 180 - 198. A little dry fire practice and they will be right there.  ~~:)  ~~:)  ~~:)

Wonderful students. Thanks, you're the reason I come out to do this. I am once again awed at the ability of the students to learn and improve in just two days.

Machine, I want to thank you for the lesson on persistence. Glad to stay as long as it takes as often as needed. Take a couple Tylenol get some sleep and DRY FIRE. You will be a Rifleman next time out. I'm sure.

Thanks to GBH and the rest of the staff. It's always great and informative.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Gumballhead

Hello everybody!

First, before I begin, I want to thank the Aurora Sportsman Club in Waterman for their most excellent hospitality, and the use of their facilities.  Without your support, we would not have been able to have such a great weekend.  I also want to thank the guys at Pub West for providing their lunch service again.  We most certainly appreciated lunch, delivered!

Did you have a great weekend?  I know I sure did.  We avoided the rain, had a little wind, and a lot of sun.  16 shooters joined us Saturday morning for some good ole marksmanship instruction, and some heritage.  We had almost everyone return Sunday, with a couple of folks walking on.  We instructors turned on the Appleseed fire hose of instruction, and our shooters began to soak it all up. 

We started with our red coat target, and learned our effective range as a group was somewhere around 50-75 yards.  Quickly we shifted to our prone position, and showed them the steady hold factors.  A set of squares went up, and we began the fountain of knowledge!  Groups went down range, and we began to see improvement volley after volley.  Before we knew it, lunch was upon us, and we took a break to grab some food, and listen to the story of Paul Revere.  We heard what life was like in the colonies during the years leading up to the night of April 18/19th, and how the many individuals working together made a significant contribution to their communities.  We left off with the column approaching an alarmed Lexington, marching in with loaded muskets.... :-\  After lunch, we shot a good group, and learned how to move our groups to our intended point of impact.  Dougjeep ran us through IMC, and we were off to adjust our sights.  A few more groups to confirm our zero, and we moved on to seated and standing positions.  We had time for an AQT, so everyone got a chance to take a shot at the title, so to speak, Saturday afternoon.  Tired and beginning to feel the fatigue in our muscles, we gathered again to hear the end of the first strike, and find out what happened when the column of British Regulars marched into Lexington.  We heard of the atrocities which occurred, and the brave men of that town, and how they made choices, and what the out come was.  We sent everyone home to rest, and take some Advil.

Refreshed we saw most everyone return Sunday.  A few shooters had signed up for Saturday only (It was mother's day on Sunday after all), and we even had a couple of students walk on to join our group!  We hit the ground running with some squares to confirm our zeroes, and then it was on to ball and dummy, with a little carding sights thrown in.  This really seemed to help everyone improve their skill set.  Before we knew it, it was time for lunch, and we posted up our first AQT of the day.  George 63 gave us the second strike of the match.  Explaining the events and people of Concord, and how the match was almost lit.  Renewed, we started up the AQT grind, with 2 clicks low at the wheel.  We posted AQT after AQT after AQT...you get the idea  ^:)^

After about three or four AQT's, we stopped for a rest, and the third strike of the match.  As the story came to a close, a strange looking figure approached the group... ???  Someone dressed in blue and buff, from
Hamilton's Company of Artillery, carrying a Brown Bess musket, and 16" tri corner bayonet!  Had our history re-awakened a face from the past?  NO!  It was none other than our own instructor, BrowBess Ed.  He was dressed the part, and gave everyone a first hand look, and detailed history of his dress, musket, and other interesting information from the period.  He showed everyone how a musket operates, and how it is loaded. And just as Captain Parker had his men unload outside the tavern, Ed demonstrated how his musket worked.  BANG!  One .75 cal musket ball downrange!! Thanks Ed! 

Sadly, the day was drawing to a close, and we had to gather our belongings and head home.  New friendships were made, new appreciation of our history was gained, and many soon to be riflemen were knocking on the door, with a 210 in their very near future.  keep practicing your NPOA and DRY fire at home.  You will break through in no time, and join the ranks of Illinois's many riflemen!

I also want to thank our instructors, you guys are great to work with.  The job of a shoot boss is a breeze when there are so many helping hands.  Everyone was working very closely with the students, and eager to lend a hand whenever possible.  I truly believe Appleseed has the best marksmanship instructors anywhere!    George - thanks for coming down Friday afternoon and getting our line built (and a very sturdy line it was, no problems all weekend).

Stonn was our official photographer, with dugjeep snapping some shots too.  Pics to follow.

Until next time, thank you!

Gumballhead

I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

I got to see a McGyuyver moment first hand.  George63's transport had drained it's battery after a full day of having the hatch open for shooter and supply access.  Left at the range were dugjeep, 2clickslow, george, and myself. 

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click...
george: anyone have jumper cables?  :sos:
me, 2cl, dugjeep: No...  :wb:
Dugjeep: hey, gimme that wire from our target line  ++)

a few folds later, and some electrical tape, and vroom  :o :o started right up!

Way to go McGyuyver!  :bow: :bow:

dugjeep

pics

dugjeep

pics

dugjeep

pics

dugjeep

pics

dugjeep

made some changes to this pic to make you guys look more stoic.

Big Av

Let me start by saying a big THANK YOU to all of the instructors.  This was the first Appleseed for both me and my sons and all I can say is that it far exceeded our expectations.  The rifle and marksmanship training is excellent and all three of us left the weekend having greatly improved. Marty gained 80 point from his first AQT and finished with a 168, and Kristian finished with a high of 153.  While I came close, 190 on my last shoot, it was just not meant to be.

So we will definitely be back.  Is there a way to get the confirmation that we did attend the class for CMP purposes?

Gumballhead

Hi Greg,

I'll be back there in June (6/4-6/5).  If you're there, I can get you a slip then.

if not, PM me your address, and I will mail you one!

Glad you had fun.  Keep dry firing at home, practice finding your NPOA, and building a solid position, and I'm sure you'll see the results you're looking for next time. 

Also, for your sling, consider a web sling, you can attach a swivel to the front using a sling thing, or the like.

Thanks again for coming out, and we will see you again!

Stonn

Snapped a few photos of the shoot and here they are.
1. Saturday's shooters.
2. Set of squares in the afternoon.
3. Todd's insanity long 28" bull barrel on his Ruger 10/22, which he promptly removed for Sunday.
4. Carding the sights on Sunday morning.

Stonn

Brown Bess Ed was kind enough to give a presentation on his smooth bore musket and dress the part.
5. Brown Bess Ed's outfit and musket.
6. Showing off the 18" bayonet.
7. Firing ball at a target.
8. Shooters during the AQT grind.

dugjeep

stonn and his missle launcher