News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: NRA Convention 2011

Started by techres, April 28, 2011, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Day 1:

Appleseed Team Alpha arrived on time and got registered in quickly:

All materials were on hand with local boots on the ground and and were easy setup, especially the new booth backdrop:

After quick setup, we walked around and checked out a few other Vendors:

It really is the who's who of the gun world.  Off to get a few last minute items, much needed rest and food as well as pre-show time team meetings!

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

CortJestir

Thanks for posting, tech! What booth # are you guys? Want to post on our FB page...

Good luck!
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Puma Mami

The booth looks beautiful!  O0 

Quote from: techres on April 28, 2011, 08:37:34 PM
It really is the who's who of the gun world.
So Project Appleseed is officially joining the "who's who of the gun world."  That should help fill those lines!
^:)^

"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Blue Five

Wow! That's one impressive backdrop you guys have there!  Good luck the rest of the weekend!
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

vernic82

What an opportunity to work an event like this - make good use of it.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

22calgal

The pop up banner looks fabulous!!!  Good work setting it up.  What a great opportunity to 7th Step a whole convention!!

22calgal
Jackie Young, Proud to be American

SPQR

Nice to see you finally got some work out of Goldfish!  **)

Looks great!  Big timin' !
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Earl

Someone saw Goldfish? I looked at the pictures and there isn't a tall, lean AR toting kid anywhere there? Oh, the NRA probably won't allow any gun people to carry and scare the tourists and media. Actually, even out of his tactical outfit, he does look good and will speak well to all the youth. Enjoy the Convention, and if you see Breda, tell her Earl always walked around in Pittsburgh or drove around it, parking and driving in that city are the Land of the Lost :cool2:.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

techres

More later but let me say many are interested, and very nice.  there is a man named Heller among them.  Pics go up tonight!

2 clicks low

Quote from: techres on April 29, 2011, 05:10:54 PM
More later but let me say many are interested, and very nice.  there is a man named Heller among them.  Pics go up tonight!

Please give this Heller fellow my thanks.  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

techres

SPQR

The Great Bearded One on TV....AGAIN!!! O0
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

hawkhavn

All,

Know that your Appleseed team has worked hard on Day One. Hoarse, tired and foot sore but ready to rush the breach again tomorrow.

Great crowd, several IITS stopped by and we got to meet with people we otherwise might never meet.  Many prior AS attendees, all with positive stories of their shoots.  Working industry contacts innovatively and relentlessly as well as new range hosts.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

GoldFish

Nobody was Tasered, but......

No really, this weekend is going great, and it's only Friday night!  Cant' wait to get back out there again tomorrow.

Quote from: SPQR on April 29, 2011, 03:56:44 PM
Nice to see you finally got some work out of Goldfish!  **)

Well, if I do experience any success without my AR, then it'll probably be because of my rougeish good looks. ^-^ ::)

Here are a couple of pix I snapped today:
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

techres

Day 2

Team assembled, booth ready, time to work:

Again, the big names were there and ready to hear the Appleseed message, stating with my favorite:

After deciding that I was not a complete nutjob, we had fun talking about his rifle's design and kids shooting sports.

Team members are splitting into teams to work on areas that are best suited to their knowledge & skill.  More on that tomorrow.  But if all works out, we will have some very good partnerships to begin on with industry.

The highlight of my day was talking to Mr. Heller who was very, very interested in helping our program:

Now we are trying to rest and prep for an even better day 3.

Johnnyappleseed

Great job folks  O0

Sure enjoyed the pictures posted ,Thanx
BTW , Is that Dick Heller holding the A.S. trifold ?

We have been hearing about the NRA convention via www.nranews.com .nra has a fun program "Cam and company" on 5 Xs a week -6-9pm PST .

XM/Serius radio also carrys NRA news . Channel 166 on XM radio .

Does anyone else listen/watch nra news?

respectfully ,
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

sashok.privetov

Good Job!!!

Glenn Reynolds of the Instapundit fame is also out there covering the event: http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/119521/
Here is his Instavision channel: http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=86
He shares a lot of what AS stands for.

For those of you out there, if you can meet him, and get him to interview you, it would be great PR for the Appleseed!

More about him, from the Istavision channel:
"Glenn Harlan Reynolds, a graduate of Yale Law School, is the Beauchamp Brogan Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of Tennessee. He is also a columnist for Popular Mechanics and The Washington Examiner, and writes regularly for such publications as Forbes, The Atlantic, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times. He is the founder of Instapundit, one of the largest and longest-publishing political weblogs, and a contributor to Pajamas Media."
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

MeanStreaker

Thanks to everyone for all your hard work!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

TruTenacity

Ya'll must be hoarse by now!  I can't wait for an update, but I guess I'll have to.

Keep up the good work as I know ya'll will.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

hawkhavn

Sashok,

Prof. Reynolds stopped by the booth and interviewed Techres, can't wait to see if it makes PJTV!
BTW, he's as great a person in the meat world as in cyberspace.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

GoldFish

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on April 30, 2011, 01:53:23 PM
BTW , Is that Dick Heller holding the A.S. trifold ?
Yes sir, it is!

Few more pics...

More to come later.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

sashok.privetov

Quote from: hawkhavn on May 01, 2011, 01:53:12 AM
Sashok,

Prof. Reynolds stopped by the booth and interviewed Techres, can't wait to see if it makes PJTV!
BTW, he's as great a person in the meat world as in cyberspace.

HH
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

KAH

Thank you to everyone that is attending and working hard to promote Appleseed - the booth looks awesome.

I wish I could have joined you, it looks like it was a great time!

Ratchet: It was good talking to you - send me a PM with the info, and I'll get to work on STL for you.

Safe travels to everyone as they return.

kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

techres

Day Three

I finally made it to the rest of the first floor where the big dogs live:

There were some really cool people and firearms up there!

First, let me say Julie Galoski was very nice and I was very impressed with how she treated an adaptive shooter & a very young boy:

Mr. Baer was also there, and a shortly after this picture was taken was completely engaged in talks with "Mr. Industry Shmooze" Itsansks:

For those interested in content there were pistols galore:

And shotguns:

And historical guns:

But best of all, battle rifles:

Even truckloads of them:

Lastly, there was even something just for the kids!  On the top floor was an airgun range:

Many contacts made and many interesting results & growth to follow, but I am so exhausted that I will have to post more tomorrow...

Special thanks to the hard working team that made this possible:

Taylor

Fantastic job everyone. Keep doing the Lord's work O0 O0 O0 O0.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Blue Five

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

techres

Day Four

Sadly, Hawkhavn & I had to leave early and do not have pictures from the last day.  Reports from the team leaders are impressive and it is always an awesome feeling to know that if you need to you can just up and leave because the rest of the team are professionals and will get the job done with or without you!

I hope to get in pictures from them or see them as they get posted up here.

All gear is pulled now (thanks team!) and the entire event was a huge success!

22calgal

Fabulous job, everyone!!  Thanks for all your hard work! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Jackie
22calgal
Jackie Young, Proud to be American

AuntieBellum

Wow - that looks like it was a blast!   :---
A huge thanks to all who gave of their time to make this happen - way to 7th step!!!   ..:..
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot