News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

San Luis Obispo (SLOSA), CA 16, 17 April 2011

Started by artkat2, April 18, 2011, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artkat2

We had ourselves quite a weekend!

We started Saturday with 16 shooters, 7 returned on Sunday and a great time was had, by all accounts!

We had a couple of youths, as well as a few "repeat offenders" (love those repeat offenders!).

For our youths, Gabby improved dramatically under the careful tutelage of  asminuteman and bigjacobus. I'm not sure who was more proud of her target us, her dad or her!
  Brett (the quark on calguns) brought his son Blake who per servered all weekend with an adult size .22 despite his 4' frame!
Both of our youths did an outstanding job paying attention following the safety rules and taking the history seriously. They both EARNED the Luther Blanchard patch!

Back to bigjacobus, he showed up to shoot on Saturday morning and was quickly drafted to work the line instead (to be honest, I think he liked it!) He's going to be an outstanding instructor...very soon ;)

We had Jeff (f/n molonlabe71(?)) and Tony (f/n tk6151) to round out the repeats with bigjacobus, who finally got to shoot on sunday. All three shot well, as well as expressing interest in orange hats. Looks like a fine team shaping up for SLO county.

Kevin and Maria worked hard both days, and it showed in the AQT grind. I can't remember Kevin's high, but Maria topped out at 151 O0

Goeffry, Jesse, Terry, Paul and Jessica, I look forward to the opportunity to call you "repeat offenders", it will be a good day when I see you all on the line again.

Then there's the "phone guys", you know who you are...I was happy to see you guys out there!

History was brought to life thanks to asminuteman in period dress both days, and the Appleseed message was well recieved by all!

Thanks to Laylopro and asminuteman for making the trip, I learned a ton from each of them. Thanks bigjacobus for giving us his Saturday. Thanks Woot, for the shade  ..:..

Finally thank you to the 16 PATRIOTS for coming out and spending their weekend with us, without you guys there is no Appleseed. O0

I'm pretty sure Laylopro took about 3,764 pictures so hopefully he'll get some up soon!

I do regard with horror a state of affairs which would make our country both unready and unwilling to defend its honor.
George S. Patton jr

choprzrul

A special thanks goes out to artkat2 and the rest of the instructors for putting on a terrific event!  Did all of the instructors that travelled from out of the area make it home ok?  I am so proud of Maria and the progress that she made this weekend!  You guys are fantastic! You brought me to a level of proficiency that I have never before experienced. I wish that there had been an Appleseed 35 years ago when I was in my 4H shooting club.  I have even been contemplating a trip to New Cuyama with the 300win mag to see if I can score on targets @ 1000yds while standing.  Appleseed really opened up a whole new world of shooting possibilities for me.  Thank You.

I am quite certain that you have not seen the last of Kevin & Maria.  I am already rolling over plans for another 795 like I built for Maria.  Thoughts on the thumbhole stock for Appleseed?  Maria would like to attend the next event in period appropriate dress.  Any thoughts on a web address that would show what a female rifleman would look like circa 1775?

Is there a course of instruction manual available for reference?  Written material will help keep me from wondering off course in my dry practice.  Also, where would I find a collection of the stories that are told?  Any websites? 

Again, you guy all rock.  Thank you again for the excellent experience.  You created new advocates this weekend.  I even quizzed my chiropractor this morning about Paul Revere!

By the way, do you know of anyone want to buy a Remington 552 that jams from time to time....

The 6 'P' rule: Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Marpat Pippi

Quote from: choprzrul on April 18, 2011, 11:19:40 PM

Is there a course of instruction manual available for reference?  Written material will help keep me from wondering off course in my dry practice.  Also, where would I find a collection of the stories that are told?  Any websites? 

Instruction Manual ...There is info in your Registration packet that has the details. Also "Fred's Guide to being a Rifleman" http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/ (His order fulfillment time is not always speedy...he's busy with Appleseed...but if you give him a call and tell him your an Appleseeder...he will get it to you.)

For History ...Paul Revere's Ride is available via google books. The link is messy but it gets there. Or just Google it in Google Books.  http://books.google.com/books?id=knC-kTFI9_gC&printsec=frontcover&dq=paul+revere's+ride&hl=en&ei=P5mtTa3bCsHkiAKI6rzLDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

asminuteman

CSHR

I like these books:

This one is much easier reading than Revere's Ride(reads like a PhD thesis) and covers more in the way of introduction to 19April1775 and after too.

'Red Dawn at Lexington' by Burnbaum

and this one, a favorite for expanding your universe....Deborah/Robert/Timothy IS the State Heroine of Mass....very interesting story..

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IMR/is_1-2_80/ai_n15390090/   
Young, Alfred....Masquerade:The Life and Times of Deborah Sampson, Continental Soldier

Note of Caution:
The winners usually write the history books that survive. Eye witness' are often biased. Family histories get changed in the telling. Once told, a story/recollection can suddenly become truth, and then it's footnoted. Read several authors on any specific topic and draw your own conclusions.

ASM/R2G2  **)

Nice waistcoat!! hear you were a hit! Someday we'll have to meet again. ..:..

artkat2....nice new green hat, congrats!  ^:)^

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

JeffCA

Another great Appleseed!  Special thanks to the volunteers - Andy, Ken, Laylopro, and Ben.  You did a great job.

This was my second Appleseed and I had a great time.  I shot rifleman (216) with an optic in Bakersfield last February but definitely had (and still have) my work cut out for me with iron sights.  Guess I'll have to do another one in the coming months!

Μολὼν λαβέ

asminuteman

asminuteman

JeffCA

Don't rush...got it.  I'll have to make sure the next line boss doesn't mistake his 30 second stop watch for a 60 second one.   ;)
Μολὼν λαβέ

asminuteman

artkat2

Man, I go to work for just one day and this AAR blows up!

chopperzrul, were your questions answered, I hope so since they all did a lot better than I could have! Thanks guys

Yep, I forgot about the 'ol 27 second stage two **), you guys are some tough shooters!

Thanks again to everyone!

Where's Laylopro??
I do regard with horror a state of affairs which would make our country both unready and unwilling to defend its honor.
George S. Patton jr

artkat2

Quote from: CSHR on April 19, 2011, 08:22:31 PM

artkat2....nice new green hat, congrats!  ^:)^

CSHR

Thanks CSHR, look forward to crossing paths again!
George S. Patton jr

LayloPro

Where's Laylopro??

Heh!! Mrs LLP wonders that sometimes too....... #) **) **) :)) ..:..

Actually, with me being gone 4 days to do this shoot, she had lots of time to plot & plan out her "Honey-Do" list.......
And I am -still- over here at the parents' clearing out junk...... :-\ :P

Pics will be soon....I did not get all that many...seems little camera needs some focus work....or replacement....we'll see how many survived....

Patience, folks, patience!! :wall: ;) :))

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

choprzrul

Questions answered, thank you.

The story about Samual Whittemore compelled me to dig deeper and I ended up posting it on CalGuns for 4/19.  Not sure of authenticity, but the thread got a reply from a decendent of Samual Whittemore.  Supposidly, the first female born to each generation has had 'Whittemore' as their middle name. 

Eager to dig deeper into the history.  Thank you to everyone that makes Appleseed happen for awakening the inner historian and Patriot that has always been in me.

Quote from: artkat2 on April 19, 2011, 11:10:02 PM
Man, I go to work for just one day and this AAR blows up!

chopperzrul, were your questions answered, I hope so since they all did a lot better than I could have! Thanks guys

Yep, I forgot about the 'ol 27 second

stage two **), you guys are some tough shooters!

Thanks again to everyone!

Where's Laylopro??
The 6 'P' rule: Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

asminuteman