News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Camp Atterbury JMTC - 2011 April 17

Started by Bill 3, April 18, 2011, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill 3

The Atterbury 8. 8 souls that attended the FIRST Appleseed KD Shoot at Camp Atterbury JMTC. Most started their weekend on Saturday with wet and windy conditions at another shoot.

Sunday morning, while there was still a brisk chilly breeze left over from the day before, we gather at the gravel lot across from KD range 5 and get all checked in. After taking care of drawing the range, everyone makes the hike to the 100yd line and three of us split off to get the pits setup. The rest to review.

After splitting the shooters up into two relays(alternating between pits and shooting), the day begins in ernest, the sun even makes an appearance that stays with us for rest of the day(feeling the sunburn on my face now). The wind never stopped...

Both relays completed two AQTs for a total of four KD AQTs on the day. We even finished "on time". The first time through each shooter was given a chance to verify their zero and their "come ups" or "sight dope" at each distance with the course of fire following the sighting in. Hint: This is were they took notes... although I seem to remember one shooter admitting to not doing so.   

The second time through, shooters had to trust their notes!

6 of 8 improved drastically between their first and second time through, the most improved award going to Rob who missed his shoot Saturday and was put on the crash course. First AQT: 114, drum roll, second score 194... So close(200 needed on KD). He definately has what it takes but came up only a little short. Good job! All score improvements were on the order of 20 or more points. Including Que who with scope problems had to manage his sight dope the Kentucky way. We had a number in the 180's.

Honors go to Matt (SmileDocHill) for taking a Riflemans patch. The second I have had the honor of presenting to him. The first being last years Patriot's Day shoot at FWRR. A man who knows well what he is about, then I have to say that everyone there fit this description. All showed up and persevered.

To the guinea pigs, I have hearty thanks;

Jonathan
Alex
Matt
Anthony
Rob
David
Hernando
Brian

Let them be known going forward as the "Atterbury 8".

It was a good day, a good location, a good shoot; and most importantly, good people!

I would be remiss if I didn't say how much I appreciated my Appleseed contingent for the day. It wouldn't have worked without Auntiebellum and .5

Special thanks goes to Sue (Mog). Without her holding our hand and trusting us to not disappoint. Working out the logistics and walking us through the procedures to hold shoots at Atterbury, this would not have been possible. Thank you to Joe for joining us as RSO and your diligent work in the pits. They both represent Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters(CIHPRS). I look forward to building a relationship between Appleseed and CIHPRS and acknowledge their dedication.

This is starting to sound like a speech at this point so time for me to shut my yap....

Amy - where the pics??
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

AuntieBellum

What a fantastic day!  I LOVE KD!!!  The Atterbury 8 are certainly to be commended for a job well done.  It was apparent that these men certainly brought their good attitudes with them.  Each and every one of you were a joy to work with yesterday.  And it's not just because the sun was shining, I assure you - although that sure made for a pleasant day on the range!  And a HUGE thank you to Sue (you'll see her in the fancy BLUE hat in the pics!!!) and CIHPS for your help in getting this set up.  This is a fantastic opportunity for Appleseed in Indiana, and I look forward to more KD at Atterbury!   ^:)^  And Joe - the unseen throughout all of this - thank you, thank you, thank you for your help in the pits this weekend!  You're welcome to bring your family to the line at an Appleseed anytime!  Bill 3 and .5 - always a pleasure to work with you both.

PICTURES!!!!!

What a beautiful target line.  Complete with flags.  We were blessed with plenty of wind to really test our shooters.

One of my favorite pics from the weekend.  We could likely consider using .5's hair for a flag substitute.   ;D

We safe our rifles the same way as we do at 25 - mags out...

Stage Two Sighters.  This is Rob, our new Appleseeder.  This might look intimidating for some new to Appleseed, but he took the 20 minute Appleseed review to heart and put it to work all day.

Seated at 200 yards.

Time to pull out the spotting scopes.  100 and 200 were easy to see.  300 and 400...well, it was nice to have those scopes!

HOW far away is the target line???!!!

Side view.

Our one 30 cal shooter.  1 M1A and 7 ARs.  It's okay - the .30 cal shooter did NOT feel left out.   :D

Zip ties by S&W.     ::)

Our new KD Rifleman!!!!

The Atterbury 8:
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

HQ

That looks like a whole lot of fun!  Congrats to all 8!

Can't wait to try it out at some point!

brianheeter

That was very cool!  Thanks to everybody who made this possible:  Bill3, .5, AuntieBellum, Sue and Joe and any others that I missed.  Thanks also to my fellow shooters.  Great group of guys.  It was great to share the line with you all.  I can't wait to do it again, with my own rifle.  I've definitely got the itch to get an AR!

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!