News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa, CA April 16-17 2011

Started by Rocket Man, April 18, 2011, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

There was thunder in the canyons last weekend, but it wasn't the rain!

Saturday kicked off the third Appleseed at Burro Canyon, in the rugged hills of north Los Angeles county.  We had 15 patriots turn out to honor our forefathers and foremothers, and celebrate the freedoms they won for us.  Mother Nature, however, was determined to make it a bit of a challenge, broiling us in the heat as if to remind us that liberty takes hard work!

Nonetheless, hard work we did, and I heard not a single harsh word or whine from anyone.  All of our students pitched in to help us set up the line, and soon we were perforating targets with aplomb.  I couldn't ask for a safer or more attentive group.  With IIT Jacob (Penny's Dad) calling the line, and myself throwing in a little history here and there, everyone came together quickly, showing solid form in the Volley for Liberty.

Almost half of our group turned out to be Calgunners (www.calguns.net) -- great to meet in person those we've been talking to online.  Thanks for coming out, let's keep it going!

Unfortunately...  did I mention it was HOT??  I did?  Sorry, my brain is fried...   $$-0

Those who were too burt to make it on Sunday, you missed a beautiful day on the line.  The heat broke and a breeze was up.  We were down to three stubborn students, like the remnant of Captain Parker's band, determined to stick it out and make a difference.  Our three students jumped right in to teach each other as well, particularly when we discovered one was left-eye dominant, and made the big decision to learn everything completely backwards from what he'd always known.  It worked out great, though.

Unfortunately, no new Riflemen this time, but it's a matter of time.  I saw lots of great shot groups.  Our three Sunday patriots were all in the 150-175 range on the AQT, and gaining steadily, so I see a couple of patches in the future.

Extra thanks to Jerry at Burro Canyon who went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of -- he's not in charge of the temperature, but everything else worked out swell.

I'll throw up some of my own pictures in a second.  If you've got some, please stick 'em up.  Thanks for making it a great weekend -- both Jacob and I, and the Founders, all thank you!  See you soon.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Here's a few pictures from the shoot.  If you want a copy at higher resolution, drop me a PM and I'll be glad to send it.

The line on Saturday.  There's still a little green on the hills, but it's getting baked out fast...

Another look at the line.  Boy, those targets at 25 meters sure seem small, don't they..?

And here we are, back on Sunday.  With the smaller group we went into some intensive, hands-on instruction.

And our students even taught each other.  Here Curtis is reviewing the loop sling using our training riflestock, while Brian and Nick offer critique.

"You take the cookies up the middle!  I'll hold off the ones trying to flank us!"

"Cookies are down!  Bring up the milk!"

^:)^
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

tuna quesadilla

I brought the camera for Day 1 but I eventually decided I'd rather shoot bullets than photographs  :P Didn't even bring the camera for Day 2.

Setting up targets

Getting checked in

25 meters is farther than I thought...

Getting ready

Jacob making sure the line is clear

Shooting

Animal Mutha

Thank you Rocket Man and Penny's Dad!
Matt