News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alton, Il AAR

Started by Patriot Gal, April 18, 2011, 01:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot Gal

Speaking of Perseverence!!

What a beautiful venue.  Alton, Il.  Once through the gravel workings, you enter an incredible site with rock walls 75 ft high and magnificent!!!
As were most Appleseeds in the region, on April 16th, the weather was not cooperative.  We suffered through blustery winds with sideways blowing rain off and on all day.  Shivering became a universal activity along with the shooting.  I think we actually qualified for a "Winterseed" that day.  Ken, if you want a Winterseed patch, just let me know!  O0

16 shooters on Saturday with one Rifleman.  All three strikes of the match were presented, shivering and all!!!
Shooters were attentive and cooperative, most having been at previous Appleseeds.

Sunday brought 5 more shooters to the line, beautiful sunshine, blue skies, croaking frogs and 5 more Riflemen along with a sprinkling of Dangerous Old Men and Women. 

We had a run for the guns with the alarm call "The Regulars are out"  and "Fire men, for God's sake fire as fast as you can!!" as hundreds of rounds blasted their way downrange to obliterate the stars target.  Derek, Ryan, Jake and Steve each took home a prize of a Revolutionary War flag with proud smiles all around!

The Honor Roll of our forefathers who sacrificed all to promote Freedom and Liberty was done with solemnity and gratitute by all who came to appreciate the sacrifices of all the Americans that day.  We did have at least 3-4 shots left over for the 14th name on the list!!!  Fred was right!

Suffice it to say that all 21 shooters did very well, progressed and persevered.  Five shooters stayed after the benediction to shoot 3 more AQTs.  It was great to see their determination!!! 

As my first experience as a SBIT (Shoot Boss in Training), I couldn't have had the pleasure of working with a better line of shooters, and instructors for that matter.  mtbrass, mtclip and Castle Mountain were all kept very, very busy over both days.  Treadcarefully kept a careful eye on everything, adding his expertise as needed. 

Over all a great shoot.  Thanks to everyone who took the time out to come to the Appleseed.  Thanks to John Ross who allows us to have our shoots there, and thanks to the instructor team who worked hard to make the shoot a success!!!

Thanks for the opportunity to SBIT, TC!!

And remember, everyone....Keep your eye on that front sight!!!!
Patriot Gal (SBIT)
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

209Ken

I just want to thank all the instructors this weekend, you guys and gals were great! The extra attention you gave my two kids was much appreciated, they had a great time. Those extra detailed tips you gave me got me over that 209 hump to a rifleman score. Thanks again!
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

Garand69

Congrats on achieving Rifleman 209Ken!!  ^:)^

How many more did we have at this historically Rifleman Heavy Location???
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Patriot Gal

Will post pictures later today or tomorrow.

But I wanted to at least post the 6 great Riflemen which were hammered out on the anvil of the AQT!!
I'm guessing at the scores as I don't remember exactly, so if you Riflemen  read this, please post and correct the scores for us if I have them wrong.  Thx!   O0

Sat.
Ken D.   223

Sunday:
Dallas D.  211
Mike E.    211
Ray W.   210!!!! :o :D  Got a little wetter that day!!
Jake G.  220
Derek K.  219

Geeze!  I was handing out Rifleman patches left, right and center!!!  It was absolutely Great!!!

Thanks to all the great participants and instructors, MTBrass, MTClip, Castle Mountain and Tread Carefully SB for a successful Appleseed weekend!
Patriot Gal  O0
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

George63

mtbrass

Shooters it was great to be at another Alton (uhm Jersey County Alton, of course ;)) shoot. You always perserver! It was a cold, windy, wet Saturday morning and I didn't hear any complaints  O0.  Of course the next day was beautiful and scores continued to climb. Another great weekend!  O0

meschmann

I just would like thank all the instructors, I had scored rifleman once before in Oct 2010, but I was afraid it was a fluke. After a frustrating first day and agonizing morning, Castle mountain reminded me to take my time in the AQT. T.C. reminded me to bring my rifle back to my shoulder in prone.  Patriot gal reminded me to have fun with her light attitude, and mt brass was there when I scored rifleman the first time. With all the help I squeaked by at 211.  Thanks again guys, it is always fun. My friends are coming back to try again soon.
Mike E.

mtbrass

Mike E. it was good to see you out shooting again.  I know your friends are getting ready to see stuff fall together.  Hope to get mt clip to post some pictures soon. &) And hopefully we will see you out again soon.  Remember to tell them to keep going over the 6 steps and they will be ready for the next shoot. O0 You can always give a friendly reminder  ~~:).

Garand69

Excellent 5 New Rifleman!!!! ^:)^

Great work Team Alton  O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Boba Fett

Quote from: Patriot Gal on April 18, 2011, 01:25:15 PM

Geeze!  I was handing out Rifleman patches left, right and center!!!  It was absolutely Great!!!

Alton shoots are funny like that.  ;)

mtclip

I will get pictures posted this weekend.  It was a good shoot to be an IIT because the shooters were very attentive and most had been to a previous appleseed.  O0  There was some scores that were pretty good but just couldn't topple over that 209 score   :(  Way to be persistant on such a harsh day Saturday  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow: but then again the thought crossed my mind that we all might have been a little bit  #)  Congrats to the riflemen but also a thank you for every shooter that came out this weekend and you guys and gals did sooooo good!  :)
When the going gets tough, the tough grab their rifles.

mtclip

Trying again to get some pictures up  :wb:. Tried 3 at a time and couldn't get them to post so I will try 2.

mtclip

A few more.

mtclip

Let's try one at a time? See if that is any faster?

George63

so the conditions ended up being fairly dry, surprising for april

mtclip

Actually we asked the neighbor to do a little work scraping and bringing in a little rock at the target line and it really helped out.

Wasn't so dry for this shooter.

mtclip

A few more!

mtclip

More Riflemen  O0

mtclip

One more with the group and some history. Great weekend.

SavageShootr

Great job Patriot Gal!!  :bow:

Congratulations to ALL the new and requalifying Riflemen!   O0
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete