News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Saratoga Springs, NY April 16 & 17 2011

Started by Another D.O.M., April 16, 2011, 10:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

Well, first off I'd like to extend a huge THANK YOU! to everyone involved in this event, both instructors and Shooters alike!

Our weather conditions were not nearly as adverse as those in Throop and New Bremen.  We began the day in the low 40s and actually saw the sun shining for a while during the morning.  As the day wore on the conditions deteriorated, and by the end of the day we had experienced what the weather gurus in these parts like to call "mixed winter weather conditions".  However, the wind was relatively calm; and thankfully every shooter was able to enjoy a covered firing line thanks to the SaraSpa Rod & Gun Club membership.

I don't have the total number of shooters, but I'm sure R1sgx2 will post them when he can.  I can tell you that we ran two lines, one on the 50-yard range and another on the 200-yard range.  We had 13 shooters on the 200, with a wide range of rifles including several tube-fed .22LRs and at least one pump-action .22.  We had several return Appleseeders, but our group of 13 was primarily first-timers, including one family of four (father, mother and two sons).  We are nothing if not a family-friendly organization.

As is typically the case at SaraSpa, we enjoyed a delicious hot lunch prepared by club member Valarie.

After lunch and a fantastic First Strike by Dakota30, we were summoned to muster at the main range by drummer Andrew.  Later in the afternoon, after the Memorial Volley was completed, we were all treated to a moving Amazing Grace on bagpipes, followed by Taps by our Shoot Boss as we bid a final farewell to the fallen defenders of Liberty from April 19, 1775.

I understand that tomorrow's events will include cannon firing and a black powder musket and rifle demonstration.  I'm looking forward to it!

Until then...
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

GadsdenNY

Outstanding event yet again!  Thank you to everyone involved who made it all possible, and to SaraSpa Rod & Gun for yet again hosting this event.

Very proud to say, I am now an "Instructor in Training" and look forward to sharing the line with such wonderful and passionate individuals regarding our Nations history.

Hats off to all new shooters and veterans alike for having a safe and productive weekend.

I'd like to think the rain, if anything - were tears of joy from our Founders above!   

spined

Thank you all for a great weekend! These events are the only true test of how well I know my equipment. Each time I come more prepared and I am looking forward to the next event!

:)
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country." - John Adams

LittleMo

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on April 16, 2011, 10:31:14 PM
Well, first off I'd like to extend a huge THANK YOU! to everyone involved in this event, both instructors and Shooters alike!

I also like to thank all also!   :bow:

BTW - This event was covered by Schenectady's The Daily Gazette newspaper. AS was made center page story on section B1.    ^:)^

I will see what I can do to get either a posting of this article or a link to it.

I also took numerous pictures and will be posting them later.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

R1SGx2

Looking at Calverton, L.I. AAR and Photo's they out did us AGAIN. NOT

Thank you all from Team Northeast, Saratoga Detachment.

Was a weekend like April 18/19, 1775, Cold, windy, rain with freezing rain and sights of snow Saturday. Sunday was a little warmer less windy and showers. Every once in a while you would hear "Hey look, blue sky".

We had a total of 48 individual shooters for the weekend. Everyone was great. Had one shooter who said he was from the Flatlands of Long Island. And he shot his first Rifleman with us. Good job Jaime, and thanks for joining us.

As Saturday started, things progressed very well. We split into two ranges, the 50 and 200 yards. Again ran two Appleseed under one. NYRA ran the 200. Things moved along very well. All times were met. Rifles on the line were of all types from lever, tube, LTR's and AR's.

This whole weekend was that of History.

Saturday Dakota30 gave the 1st Strike, Saturday afternoon Sureshot gave the 2nd Strike. and our final Red Coat was met with the reading of the Names of 13 Malitia who lost their lives that day, the line was cleared and all centered up on the Flags, with the wind blowing and the flags waving, from a distance Bagpipes played Amazing Grace, and from behind Taps was then played. Powerful. Did see a few wiping their eyes and others hiding the moment.

Sunday we continued our course of fire with Sureshot doing the 3rd Strike at lunch where Sureshot brought his Brown Bess, was actually used during Revolutionary War, and NYRASGT speaking about CMP and had a large display of CMP rifles from CMP Air Rifles to the Garand. Was a nice job by both.

Both Saturday and Sunday from the Range House where we had lunch both days we could here drums playing assemble, both days we reported back to the range area as drummed. Andrew our drummer did an excellent job.

After lunch we had a Mad Minute on the Star Target with the winning team all receiving Musket Balls. We then had a Cannon Demonstration firing out 200 yards both volleys. We then started shooting known distance on the 200 yard range.

During Sunday the Schenectady Gazette, a local paper had a reporter and photographer in the area, Article in today's paper.

Sunday, several times we would center up and hear points of the History of the day, then SHOOTERS TO THE LINE, all charged the line.

Other items shown during the weekend were three different actual cannon balls, 18 inch bayonet, laminated copy of Cpt Parker's disposition, and much more.

Sureshot was promoted to Red Hat AND excepting Orange Hats were Gunny (not screen name), Gregch44, GadsdenNY, WELCOME NEW ORANGE HATS.
and to Team Northeast.

Also, 7 Shooting Rifleman Scores were Krisker, Mitch, Connor, GadsdenNY, Gunny, Shawn, Jaime.

The hosting club, Saraspa, couldn't do enough for us, lunch both days were excellent. Thank you Scott, Valerie, Bob, JoAnn and Dave for lunch and to the club members for allowing us to use their range.

I know there are photo's out there, please post them.

Thank you to all the Shooters and The Mrs., Lillte Mo, Topcat, NYRASGT, Dakota30, Another D.O.M. , Gregch44, Gunny, Sureshot for helping making this week safe and special.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

kDan

Great Job, guys!  A real cannon demo?  wow.  NY is kicking butt.  This is great stuff.  I remember the first event up there.  B9 was shoot boss and tfelog taught me how to throw a tomahawk.  Nickle brought us to the Golden Coral (aka - the Family Feedbag) for dinner.  Great range.  Good people.  I'll be back someday. 

Keep it up!

Quote from: R1sgx2 on April 18, 2011, 12:02:04 PM
Looking at Calverton, L.I. AAR and Photo's they out did us AGAIN. NOT

hmm...  Looks like a little friendly rivalry is in the making here, eh?  Okay...  I'm really glad to see Saratoga and all my upstate friends coming on strong and pushing up numbers - good for both NYS and the country.  Maybe soon we can take the top TWO attendance number spots in the country for the year so far.    :P

Good thing it's not a competition to see who has the best pizza.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

spined

Wow! You never really know how big  your butt is until you see it plastered on the newspaper. LOL

LittleMo: I'll have 18x24 inch cut outs for you in the next couple of weeks. If I don't run into to you at the club, I will BE SURE TO GO TO A MEETING!  ::) :P ;D
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country." - John Adams

Another D.O.M.

I've posted a PDF of the Gazette article below.  The reporter did a nice job.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Odin

Nice job to all those involved.

Sureshot congrats on attaining a Red Hat.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

Spartan

Outstanding Job Saratoga detachment !!!!!!!!! and congrats to the new Riflemen!!
Sounds like it all the work paid off.  My Vote if for the flags at Saratoga.

"With your shield or on it"

sgtrock

Congratulations on the RedHat Sureshot,,,, Very nice report Top,,, Congrat to all the new Riflemen,,,, and Krisker, Awesome Job You worked very hard for the score, Enjoy!!! Is there a hat in the furture for you O0

sgtrock

VietVet

My hats off to Saratoga.
Great job guys.

It's nice to see all of NY doing so well with our events.

That pizza comp sounds pretty good to me.

Hey kDan...How come you only posted the photo of half the Shooters at the Calverton Event?
The NY Times wants to know.
Their going to run ANOTHER Article. ::)
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

nyrasgt

Saraspa AS 4/16-17/11 another outstanding weekend of marksmanship instruction and American (formerly British) history and heritage.
  A few notes that bear acknowledging:
   SB Mark/R1sgx2, besides giving up work hours, devoted literally days of effort preparing the Saraspa range and clubhouse for the weekend.
--the initial training cadre consisted of SB, this writer, and 6 OH IITs:  Another DOM (NY State Coordinator), sureshot, dakota30, Tomcat, Little Mo, and The Mrs, plus ADOM's better half, BH Krisker.  By the end of the weekend, New York had gained another RHI - congratulations, sureshot/Dan-and had added another THREE IITs, Greg, Gunny, and John, for an ending total of EIGHT; may
not be a record, but extremely impressive, nonetheless, as were the 5 new and 2 repeat Riflemen - again, congratulations.
--not many anniversary shoots could provide a 2.5" bore mortar,  firing cement-filed soda cans @ 200+ yards, nor, following
the memorial volleys, a live playing of Taps, also by Shoot Boss Mark, not to mention Press coverage by a reporter from the Schenectady Gazette, who filed a relatively brief, but positive, article in today's issue of the paper (links elsewhere).
--Six KD shooters: 1 x M1A .308, 3 x ARs, including Krisker, and 2 x .22s.
--Numerous ROCs and CMP forms signed.
--both the Saraspa club President and the club's Chief Range Safety Officer were also in attendance, and were, as usual, impressed by the emphasis on safety and the COI; another AS shoot has already been scheduled for September.

--One disappointment on my part was not being able to accommodate an under-age shooter brought by his father.  I brought a CMP Daisy 853C air rifle on Sunday, though the family had told us they were unable to return on Sunday.
The Daisy will become a permanent part of my loaner rifle kit, for use by those designated by NYS law to be under age.

Program did an outstanding job of accomplishing its goals of marksmanship and history instruction, as well as the awakening of 48 (Saturday) and about 30 (Sunday) contemporary Americans to the heritage and debt we owe to the participants of 19 April, 1775.

Excelsior,
madMark

"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

LittleMo

Quote from: spined on April 18, 2011, 02:11:09 PM
Wow! You never really know how big  your butt is until you see it plastered on the newspaper. LOL
Right in the center of the page too! lol

LittleMo: I'll have 18x24 inch cut outs for you in the next couple of weeks.
Remember, that is the minimum size. If you have larger, those would be graciously accepted. Give me a call if you are not sure or to arrange a drop off.

If I don't run into to you at the club, I will BE SURE TO GO TO A MEETING!  ::) :P ;D
I am usually there at least once a week during the week and sometimes on weekends as my schedule allows. You need to go to the meetings (notice plural, not singular).  ~~:)

Gary

spined

Quote from: nyrasgt on April 19, 2011, 01:28:12 AM

The Daisy will become a permanent part of my loaner rifle kit, for use by those designated by NYS law to be under age.

Program did an outstanding job of accomplishing its goals of marksmanship and history instruction, as well as the awakening of 48 (Saturday) and about 30 (Sunday) contemporary Americans to the heritage and debt we owe to the participants of 19 April, 1775.

Excelsior,
madMark

Mark,

Do all of the Appleseeds have loaner rifle kits available? For ex. the one coming up in Lake George?  Also, are they actually rifles as well or just air rifles?

Dina

spined

I am usually there at least once a week during the week and sometimes on weekends as my schedule allows. You need to go to the meetings (notice plural, not singular).  ~~:)

Gary
[/quote]

First Tuesday of every month? I will put in on the calendar.

Mr.Freedom

It's not an Appleseed without pictures!!!!
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

LittleMo

Quote from: spined on April 19, 2011, 10:32:07 AM
First Tuesday of every month? I will put in on the calendar.
2nd Thursday.

Josey Wales

..Great Job..  Would of loved to be there, but the duties of Shoot Boss needed me elsewhere.  You have a great community of Appleseeders up there, I am proud to call you my Friends.  Bless..

..........Strength & Honor................JW....................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Another D.O.M.

Unfortunately, the dying batteries in Krisker's camera affected the auto-focus, so many of the pics from later in the day Saturday are out of focus.  I'll post up what I can, when I can.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: spined on April 19, 2011, 10:28:46 AMMark,

Do all of the Appleseeds have loaner rifle kits available? For ex. the one coming up in Lake George?  Also, are they actually rifles as well or just air rifles?

Dina
Hey there Dina!  I'll answer this one for you.

Although it's not official Appleseed policy, many of our instructors will bring a rifle or two to the events they work, either to do some shooting themselves if the opportunity arises or to loan out to attendees who may need a different rifle.  These 'loaners' are usually rim fire semi-auto .22s, and usually 10/22s with Tech-SIGHTS on them.

The number of available loaners is not typically known before the beginning of an event.  If we know for certain that loaners will be required we'll discuss this in advance with the instructors who plan to work the event to see if they can bring one or more along with them.

Do you have something/someone specific in mind for the upcoming Lake George event?
MJA

Gregch44

Hey all. As usual it was a great shoot and staffed by a great group of guys,and gals, that I am now proud to be a part of. Thanks for all the congrats for taking an orange hat. The wind was certainly a challange on Sunday, but we got it worked out at lunch time. It was a very successful shoot, and I know that everybody had a good experience. Hats off to SaraSpa for hosting so graciously. Great club! Great folks! The lunches alone are a great reason to attend our shoots.
Go big or stay home!

Another D.O.M.

OK, here we go with some pictures.

Saturday morning welcome ceremony.

A nice turnout for a chilly April morning in upstate NY.

Our first new Orange Hat Instructor of the weekend, Gregch44

Dakota30 addresses the Four Safety Rules with the shooters.

AFter lunch on both days, our drummer Andrew musters the shooters back to the main training grounds.

Our multi-talented SB plays taps Saturday evening after the memorial volley.

Saturday awards ceremony - Jr. Patriot patches distributed to our Saturday-only shooters.

Shooters had to secure everything against Sunday's sporadic high wind gusts.

Our SB/RSO clears the cannon line.

Waiting for the boom...

There it is!

Sorry about the condition of the blurred shots - electromechanical issues with the camera.

GadsdenNY

Thanks for the pics - The mortar display was a real treat at this event!  Loved the vintage 1775 bore swab too!  ;)

R1SGx2

Very nice pictures, Alan, didn't you take any?.?.?.?

Thanx to all for making this weekend happen, good job by all.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Spartan

Looks Great !!!  Hooah Hooah and a high five!
"With your shield or on it"

LittleMo

Here's a start of some of the pics I took. Towards the end of the day, the camera's batteries started to fade and the quality faded as well. Will post what I can.

Gary

LittleMo

Some more pics.

LittleMo

Another set from the Saratoga event.

LittleMo

Some more from the Saratoga event.