News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Rochester IN, Apr 2-3 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, April 03, 2011, 10:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

This was one for the books. We had lots of kids, love the kids.

We saw some serious improvement all weekend, Colin and Landon as first time shooters with their brand new Rossi single shots. Both were barely strong enough to operate the actions but operate them they did, and well. I got a huge kick out of standing behind little Colin and listening to him recite the Safe Rifle rules every time he finished. Both boys went from complete beginners to safely operating their new rifles, big growth. I made them my little sharpshooters and called them Butch and Sundance all day.

Mom and their sister did well also, both learned a lot about how to properly handle their rifle, how to aim, and how to use the sling. I was very sorry to not see them back Sunday. As it turned out the weather was beyond favorable and actually better then Saturday. I hope to see all four of you again.

Christain did a great job with his GSG and that is not a easy rifle to use as a fundamental marksmanship platform, carbines rarely are. But we got a sling on it and he stuck it out doing well by the end of the day Saturday. I think he learned a lot and hope he gets to come back and shoot a full weekend next time. Dad should bring a rifle too.

Caden, he will be a man of few words, but he listened well, never got frustrated, and applied everything we taught him. Even though we needed three rifles to find one that was light enough for him, he stayed with it and went from big groups on Saturday to a great 6 MOA group in KD, and then proceeded to hit the 8 MOA steel... repeatedly! He even did his own IMC and we proved the come ups (sight adjustment) were correct. Looked like Dad had a good time as well, glad Niecie and Auntibellem convinced him to go ahead and shoot Sunday. Dad had no problem hitting the 4 MOA steel either!

Kurt and David, what can I say? You came prepared and experienced, and it showed. What shooting! Dad nailed his AQT with a 240 and David did 248 multiple times. David was a great shooter, but still took instruction, he did not let his ego get in the way. Sure sign of a great Rifleman. I think when he shows up on a High Power firing line there will be some old hands take notice.

But it wasn't all work and no play, we had a fun shoot and pitted the Dads against the sons for the Issac Davis vinyl stickers (thank you Chilidog) and what do you know? The Dads proved to be Dangerous Old Men and edged out the youngsters to win the day! Everyone got to try out AB's AR and it looked like the boys had a few ideas about Christmas afterwards.

We had great shooting, good weather, a fantastic facility (THANK YOU Sand Burr Gun Ranch!) and stirring history. Everyone learned what it means when we say "Heritage", I hope the message went home with the targets. I hope the memory of what those men, women, and even kids, did for us goes home as well.

Thank you everyone, I enjoyed the weekend maybe more than you did.

I love this job.

YHJ

PS. Niecie, how about some pictures?
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Definitely a fantastic weekend for Appleseed!  I, too, was disappointed that Gina and crew didn't make it back today, but I know we'll see you all again.  All four of you made some great improvements on Saturday - going from "which way does the ammo go in the mag" and "can you help us assemble these rifles" to nicely shrinking groups and learning how to safely and competently handle your equipment is no small feat.  Keep at it, and we'll make Riflemen out of the lot of you!

Christian, you're almost there - I know that if you had been able to come back on Sunday that you would have been that much closer to the coveted patch.  Relax into those positions, practice at home, and then come back (and dad, you should plan on shooting next time, too!).

Caden - fantastic job.  I certainly would award you with the "Most Improved" award for the weekend if there was such a thing.  Even with those big gusts of wind, you put some good groups on the target today.  And you and David were both our math whizzes of the day - who says kids can't do math these days?  These kids have IMC down, no problem.  And Caden, thanks for sharing your dad with us today, too.  We're super glad we got him behind a rifle, too.  Hope to see you back for an entire weekend next time!

David and Kurt - wow.  I'm just impressed.  It's obvious that you both truly know markmanship.  David - a 248 with a tube-fed rifle.  That's the highest score I've witnessed - not to mention, folks, that David is 12 years of age.  Kurt, you should certainly be proud of yourself - a job well-done yourself, indeed, but your good works certainly also reflect in your son.

Even more impressive, though, was how each and every one of you absorbed the history.  I knew they were paying attention and then asked at the end of the day today who their favorite person was in the history we shared - the majority decided Samuel Whittemore was their favorite, but one also said Hezekiah Wyman.  Wise choices.

Sorry to take down the 8moa steel - oops.  I mean, it was time to move you to 4moa, so I just removed the target remotely for ya'!   ;)

Rest up from the weekend, but your work isn't finished.  You know what to do - tell your friends and bring them back with you.  We'll be waiting.   O0
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

garrett72

Hello!  Caden's dad here "Garrett" and just wanted to thank you all for a great time.  Caden had a ball and is already talking about the next time we come to appleseed!  We will without a doubt be back, and were bringing more people with us!  Thanks again!

yellowhousejake

Saturday Pictures

Welcome to Appleseed!

Appleseed is a family event.

Getting the first course of fire.

Where is my group? How big is my group?

Let's learn positions.

Peep sights are sweet!

It's the shooter not the equipment, but good equipment is nice too.

YellowHouseJake's little sharpshooters.

Auntibellem doing what she does best.

First Rifleman!

America's future. Sand Burr seems to bring out the youngsters.

Sunday's pictures coming right up.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Quote from: garrett72 on April 03, 2011, 11:20:21 PM
Hello!  Caden's dad here "Garrett" and just wanted to thank you all for a great time.  Caden had a ball and is already talking about the next time we come to appleseed!  We will without a doubt be back, and were bringing more people with us!  Thanks again!

I would love to see you both on my line again. Looking forward to it!

YHJ

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Quote from: garrett72 on April 03, 2011, 11:20:21 PM

Garrett, it was our pleasure.  Thanks for being so willing to get behind a rifle and shoot with us today.  Looking forward to seeing you both again soon!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Niecie

Hello Everyone! What an AWESOME Appleseed Weekend! Inspite of the cold and wind, we had a wonderful shoot! everyone was positive, excited, and fun! Most important - everyone was more than willing to learn about history and marksmanship. Thank you to all our shooters and families for sharing such a terrific weekend with us. I do look forward to seeing everyone again - especially all the young shooters. Wow! I was so impressed by their determination, focus and safety.  Congratulations to David on his amazing 248 score, and to Caden for really sticking it out all weekend and improving so much!

Gina, so sorry you did not make it back Sunday, but Butch and Sundance really accomplished alot, as did you and Alanna. Come back soon!

Kurt & Garrett - thank you SO MUCH for bringing your sons. I know you are really proud of their accomplishments.

Now for more pics....

Hi I am Auntie Bellum...sometimes my hat is blue and Rimshot thinks I am "fairly useful" %)

Here I am being "fairly useful" giving instruction to Garrett...

Fathers and Sons sharing a great day and learning together - it's a beautiful thing ;)

Serious concentration and focus from these outstanding youth shooters!

David getting his Rifleman patch with a 248 score :o

Just look at this target!! ..:..

Caden getting another memento and a reminder to dry fire and return to another shoot.

Garrett and Caden - a very proud Dad and very happy son.

Kurt and David - another very proud Dad and very happy son.

Getting down to the seriously fun stuff ... IMC, KD, and SHOOTING steel!

These  "kids" have ideas for Christmas now  :) Thank you Auntie Bellum for letting them shoot your AR :bow:

I am so happy you all had a great time - see you soon!

Niecie

Smiley777

Hi Everyone.  Thank you to the instructors.  Everyone was great, the best team I've ever had (after my third shoot) !!!  I really appreciated how quick you all were to help everyone overcome any shortcomings in equipment and even lunch.  Great weekend.  Great tune up for High Power shooting season.  David was looking up the next ones last night.

God Bless You All,

Kurt

DBoller

Hey everyone I have to say that this was the best shoot I've been to. The instructors did an excellent job, not only teaching good marksmanship but also making sure everyone was safe and teaching safety. I hope I'll be able to attend another one real soon.Thanks to all of the instructors. DBoller

Niecie

Quote from: AuntieBellum on April 03, 2011, 10:58:13 PM

Sorry to take down the 8moa steel - oops.  I mean, it was time to move you to 4moa, so I just removed the target remotely for ya'!   ;)

Proving once again, more than just "fairly useful"  ^-^

Niecie

ATM

Looks like another fine shoot.  O0

Great job everyone!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0