News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR -Hinckley, MN 26-27 March 2011

Started by Cooper, March 28, 2011, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

Just another bright Spring morning in MN: Saturday started out at -7 degrees and rocketed into the mid-20's for the afternoon.  Sunday began a balmy -3 and touched the freezing mark in the sun...  :D

A nice 6 inches of snow cover to make jogging ("quickly! quickly!") to the target line a nice aerobic and gymnastic event with a few somersaults and lots of gyrating arms in the never-ending battle with ice and gravity!

Outnumbered, the shooters fought valiantly against instruction until succumbing to irresistable repetition of Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, Steady Hold Factors and The 6 Steps to Firing the Shot.  >:D

Newbie Marge went from a few on paper to some pretty decent groups, all while absorbing the History like a sponge.  Sheridan is learning the persistence, patience and practice that are required to become a Rifleman, as well as the advantages of having hand warmers inside his gloves, even when the temperatures hit double digits!!  Jennifer made huge leaps in her progress to her Rifleman status, and was knocking on the door early Sunday afternoon with scores in the 180's...  If they hadn't had to leave early for their long drive home, I think she might have brought home a Winterseed patch; even if it is Spring here in MN  ++)

Not many pictures, the camera batteries kept freezing....  :'(

Safeties ON! Stand!
Second Stage QDAQT
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Taylor

A great start to Appleseed season in Hinckley. Jennifer, Margie and Sheriden...come back and bring lots of friends.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Blue Five

You guys still have snow up there in Spring?  Who would've thought?  ++)  ;)

Sounds like a good time...and likely the last Winterseed in Minnesota for the year!  Too bad I couldn't have gotten up there...
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sparks1

Who's that good lookin' geezer shooting on the right side of the line????  **) Ooops, guess it's me.

Came Sunday to shoot just to get in the swing of things again. I'm here to tell you, if you can, go shoot an Appleseed. I forgot what it was like to be a student. The instructors made us do the transitions mercilessly, all the while decreasing target size and transition time. Whew...I'll admit I was sore Sunday night. But...it was fun and a good refresher.

I came with two rifles... scoped .22 and an AR I just got irons for. I wanted to shoot the irons more but ran into an ammo problem.  :'(  My reloads, and I did not set back the shoulder enough. Another couple thousandths and I would be GTG. As it was I had to go back to the .22. What I really need is irons practice tho'. Culling bad ammo tonite and fixing.

Thanks to the instructors and shooters for comraderie and fun.

Sparks1

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: Cooper on March 28, 2011, 01:48:00 PM
Outnumbered, the shooters fought valiantly against instruction until succumbing to irresistable repetition of Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, Steady Hold Factors and The 6 Steps to Firing the Shot.  >:D
Well, I hope we were just kind of tired, disorganized and straggling rather than actually valiantly fighting against instruction.  ::) Although it probably looks pretty similar...  ;)

We were very impressed to be outnumbered by the instructors, and also impressed that Appleseed holds the shoots even if only three people are signed up! There have been so many times in our family where someone has registered for a community ed class and then it gets canceled because not enough people signed up. But not Appleseed! And so we were outnumbered by some of the finest, most highly-trained instructors there are, and we received a quality of instruction we could never have paid for. We also got to borrow some very nice rifles and fancy shooting mats, and we even got help carrying our [excessive amount of!] gear, and navigating out of the driveway (after getting a push out of the ditch). Thanks for all you do!!! You guys are amazing!  :bow:

Marge enjoyed the weekend and the history very much. She was especially impressed that the history talks were given with Toastmasters-quality speaking techniques. She was also impressed with the organization, program, and instructors. She's thinking about returning with us sometime in the summer, and maybe we can bring more friends. O0

We both were appreciating how Appleseed lets a person meet and spend time with some of the finest men and women--the finest Americans--that there are. People we might not otherwise have ever had the privilege to know. And we are both now serious fans of Cooper's talks and her instruction. So much depth of knowledge, passion for marksmanship, the details, the tips, things you would never have thought of on your own. Thank you for what you do! You are a very inspiring person, Cooper. And Rifledog is so cute! We enjoyed meeting her, too.

Marge and I were talking after we left, and she was saying how it seemed kind of odd as we were leaving, like something was missing. And I said, "Yeah, all the dance people we do stuff with all hug each other at the end. That's what seemed different." And Marge agreed and added, "Well, at least we got to hug Rifledog."  8)

I was really hoping to get rifleman this weekend, but I didn't practice at home, mostly because I wasn't really sure what or how to practice. But now I have a clear idea of what to practice and how, so that should help. And I really don't ever want to get this sore again!! :D  So I've found new motivation to build those muscles up ahead of time, and stretch, too. But I also began to appreciate it's the journey, not the destination...

Upon returning home and cleaning the rifle I found out that blurry second crosshair goes away if I look though my scope with my reading glasses on....so it was my worsening eyesight after all. So now I need to either get a scope where I can focus the crosshair so I can see the darn thing clearly, or switch to Tech Sights. Does anyone have advice on which works best in that situation?
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on March 28, 2011, 06:38:58 PM
I forgot what it was like to be a student. The instructors made us do the transitions mercilessly, all the while decreasing target size and transition time. Whew...I'll admit I was sore Sunday night. But...it was fun and a good refresher.

Sparks1

I can definitely attest that an Appleseed weekend is a full-body strength training workout! Sore muscles everywhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one to admit getting sore. It is fun, too --Well worth the ensuing discomfort!

I was impressed how quickly Sparks1 always got his first shot off after a transition from standing. The rest of us were still tinkering around, trying to find our NPOA, and he was already going strong!

I forgot to mention that Sunday night my husband was asking me about the loop sling, and if the sling I have on his rifle can do that. I let him know it can. Turns out he was doing some research on Appleseed and the technique while we were away, and had found the old Army training film on the internet and watched it. So he's definitely getting ready to try this thing out. O0  Maybe May or June. He's talking to a friend at work about going along, too. And maybe Marge's husband would go with them.

I was also talking to my six-year-old Sunday evening. The idea that I have the name "Puma Mami" on the forum came up. He said, "I like pumas, too! I want to be Puma Paul!" Then he started dancing around chanting, "Puma Paul! Puma Paul! Puma Paul!" Very cute! He wants me to tell you guys he's my sidekick.  8)  Maybe we'll get him out there with Dad's bb rifle for an hour or two sometime this summer. Then I'll whisk him away once he gets antsy.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

AFTERMATH

Ahh....  The weather was perfect!  << Much better than the BlizzardSeed of 12-10!  Though, admittedly, I did miss the adrenaline rush I get when my life is hanging on the line by some staples and construction plastic. ++)

The shooters were great!  Thank you all for making this happen!
Puma Mami, if it weren't for you, well we'd have had no one to instruct! ;)  Can anyone beat that?  I don't know....
100% responsible for recruiting 100% of the shooters!  Just have to practice those transitions, and I think you'll have that 210 nailed!

By the way, does that mean Sheridan is now Puma Sheridan?
Sheridan, just keep practicing those SHF's until it feels natural and practice dry-firing those shots by the numbers, and you'll have it!  Persistence, perhaps the foremost quality of a Rifleman!

Marge, what can I say?  You made some excellent progress throughout the weekend, paid attention, asked questions and I've never seen anyone take notes during history!  A bit of practice, some Appleseed yoga, and you'll be right there.  I can definitely see the makings of a Riflewoman!

Perfect practice makes perfect! 

What other program, class, clinic, etc.; gives you perpetual homework? 

It appears I don't have to remind you to bring some more shooters! ::)

But for the rest of the world who's reading this on-line, well, you don't know what you missed out on!  Don't let it happen again! O0  We'll back in Hinckley for Patriot's Weekend!  Sign up now!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 01, 2011, 06:50:40 PM
By the way, does that mean Sheridan is now Puma Sheridan?

Ha! That's probably the last thing in the universe he will pick for his forum name! Something that matches his annoying little brother--ouch!! He might even give up his rifleman hopes over that one...

I've encouraged Sheridan to think about a forum name, and made some suggestions, but he hasn't chosen one yet. Maybe once he gets done being stressed out by school...You guys are welcome to make suggestions for him, if you'd like.

Cooper

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

mjerdee

Thanks to everyone for a great time! The history was fascinating (much more memorable than the dry inaccurate text books). The organizing and professionalism was outstanding!

I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't much soreness, except a little in my neck. I'll have to work out some shooting yoga warm ups with Jennifer!

Thanks to Alex &  Cooper for the use of the guns, and to all of you for your patience and wisdom. I am glad to have met you, and hopefully I have that pleasure again! Thanks to Jennifer who asked me along (hopefully my stray shots did not handicap your score too much). It was a great time all around.

If nothing else, I can sleep "in the position" and recite much of the safety rules before saying my prayers at night, and I am able to say I can "hit the broad side of a barn" at least some of the time. I can certainly prepare, load and unload! And I can fight with my gun strap with the best of them!

You never know, I might even lay claim to the "7".

Thanks again!

sparks1

Quote from: Puma Mami on March 29, 2011, 01:25:51 PM

I was impressed how quickly Sparks1 always got his first shot off after a transition from standing. The rest of us were still tinkering around, trying to find our NPOA, and he was already going strong!

Puma...trick is to get into the position quickly. All preparations for the position are done in the prep period...sling adjusted right, mags ready for loading, body angle to target, etc. At the "Fire" command all one need do is get into the position, load mag and verify NPOA . NPOA should be close and do the fine adjustments right away. Once verified, fire the shots in cadence.

I know this "sounds" simple...practice, persistance and more practice will get you in the zone. And yes, I mean in the zone. Though not a competition you should make it one. You are, after all, competing against yourself for improvement. I know it's hard  having family/friends shooting alongside you. BUT...it comes down to focusing on YOUR technique and polishing it. Once you get it down...teach others to shoot.

From the scores you are getting, I can see you are dry firing and improving. The transitions for rapid fire are a hangup for alot of shooters. Perfect practice of these will get that rifleman patch for you. Sheridan will be impressed once you beat him to the patch, and more incentive for him to practice.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on April 02, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
I know it's hard  having family/friends shooting alongside you. BUT...it comes down to focusing on YOUR technique and polishing it. Once you get it down...teach others to shoot.
It wasn't so much having family/friends shooting with me, but just me stressing myself out trying to make rifleman right away because I know I can't get to another shoot until maybe July, probably August. :o Plus I was just in a whole lot of pain, aches, soreness and fatigue!!  $$-0

From the scores you are getting, I can see you are dry firing and improving. The transitions for rapid fire are a hangup for alot of shooters. Perfect practice of these will get that rifleman patch for you.
Yes, those transitions were getting me. :P The sad truth is I didn't dry fire or practice transitions at home at all. I guess I wasn't totally sure I would be doing "perfect practice." But now I have a clear idea of what to do, and of the consequence of horrible soreness if I don't practice ahead!  :D  I need to get in better shape generally, so I'll be working on that, too. Marge is in good shape, and she wasn't very sore at all.

Sheridan will be impressed once you beat him to the patch, and more incentive for him to practice.
I'm hoping we'll both get our patches next time. But we'll see. If he won't use the sling I guess he won't, though.

Thanks for all your help! You always have the good tips and encouragement. :)