News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Danville, IL March 19-20, 2011

Started by TheEditor, March 21, 2011, 01:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Another successful Appleseed in the books. 

23 shooters, fully 2/3 of them women and under 21. 

Several who had never picked up a firearm before. 

All made dramatic improvements from the first Saturday Redcoat. 

All seemed to have fun. 

Weather Saturday:  Excellent!  Sunny, high near 60, not much wind. 

Weather Sunday:  Challenging, but could have been worse.  Cloudy, colder, some AM rain, LOTS of wind. 

THANKS to Shooter30-06, AK, Templar223, and George 63 for instructing - I barely had to do anything. 

THANKS to all the shooters, including families.  In fact, very few if any were there alone.  I only counted 11 cars for 23 shooters. 

Best pic of the weekend:  A family of five (who may be familiar if you've seen the pictures in the national trifold brochure) were there; four were shooting, and the seven year old girl was watching.  She wanted to shoot, but she was too young and tiny.  She had a wooden gun with a laser her dad made for her; she laid by her family, got in the positions, and "shot" at her own target on Sunday. 

For the final Redcoat, George63 and Templar223 made her dream come true.  With both of them assisting, she got to take her first shots with a real rifle. 

The second picture says it all.

The Editor 

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

More pictures: 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

mtbrass

Sounds like a great weekend Editor! That picture does say it all.  O0 Great to see all those people out for the shoot hope they make another one soon.

EEL

And THAT is why we do what we do!

Thanks Editor for capturing that!!!!!  O0

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

Excellent Report TheEditor!!!

We get any Rifleman out of that great looking bunch?
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

John Boch

Yes, George63's daughter shot 220.

Garand69

Quote from: templar223 on March 21, 2011, 02:57:38 PM
Yes, George69's daughter shot 220.

George69??? We only have room for one G69 in Illinois  &)  **) **) **)

Congrats George63's Daughter!!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ Great Shootin'! O0
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

John Boch

The little girl, Olivia, was a doll. 

She was very good all day Saturday but apparently complained to mom and dad that she wanted to "shoot" her "wooden" rifle just like the grown ups.

(Check out that trigger finger position!)

So, Sunday, they bring her "rifle" and she does this off and on for much of the day, as Mr. Naese said, getting into position and everything.  Then she would go down with everyone and "mark" her hits on the target with a pen.  It was soooooo cute.

So, I asked mom if she minded if we put her on a kid-friendly rifle.  Mom said 'no problem!' so George and I made it happen.  While we were getting the rifle set up, someone asked her what the four safety rules were, one at a time.

That little girl nailed them exactly without hesitation to applause after she got them all.  I asked someone if she was reading them and they said no. 

It took a little patience getting her lined up and making 'her' rifle (George's super-tricked out 10/22) into a crew-served weapon set up for the right target.

We made sure she was ready and then, when the fire command was given as "Fire!  Fire for God's sake, fire as fast as you can!" or something to that effect, little Olivia hammered the trigger and even before she was done shooting she was giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl.

George loaded her up another mag while the other students were shooting their redcoats, and we got her all ready for her second volley and she was thrilled yet again, giggling and announcing "I'm hitting it!" while still shooting.

When it was over, and we got the rifle safe, she got up and bounced back to her mom who was in the back, little Olivia jumping up and down excitedly.

Once the line was clear, she RAN down to the targets and proudly and gleefully stood next to her target.

I tell ya, we all agreed that that moment made the whole weekend worth it and then some all by itself.

And congrats to Elizabeth shooting RIFLEMAN!

Shoot me an email for the original.  templar223 at comcast.net.

Sunday, the wind was really pitching the targets around violently at times.  While the Rifleman perseveres and overcomes, our hasty target mounting provisions made shooting a great score almost impossible.

John

John Boch

Quote from: Garand69 on March 21, 2011, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: templar223 on March 21, 2011, 02:57:38 PM
Yes, George69's daughter shot 220.

We only have room for one G69 in Illinois 

Yeah yeah.  Illinois is a BIG state, you know...

J

Shooter30-06

It was another fantastic Appleseed weekend.  EEL is right - Olivia's picture captures the essence of an AS shoot.  I want to offer congratulations to Elizabeth on her Rifleman's badge.  She is such a nice young lady that it is hard to believe she is George's daughter! ;)  There were a number of shooters knocking on the door in very difficult conditions - the targets were moving several inches in the high wind.  A special note to channelizer who was only a few points short - you are an excellent addition to the Illinois group and it was very nice to meet you.  I hope to see all of you again soon.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

channelizer

First off and foremost it would not have been the weekend it was with out all the great instructors we had at the Danville shoot. AK,shooter 30/06,The editor,templar223, And last but not least George63.Thanks for the time You spent with my son on the line.Dennis will remember this shoot for along time to come!!! as for myself even though i didnt get that rifleman patch and was really close might i say LOL  the weekend was well worth it.I had the opportunity to meet a great bunch of people and a really great bunch of instructors could not have asked for any better.As for the weather it really doesnt matter any day you can get off the couch and from in front of the TV and shoot it has to be a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You Appleseed   
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Garand69

Channelizer, I'm glad you came out and enjoyed yourself with Family! Hope to meet you on the trail soon O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Castle Mountain

Congatulation Editor and the instructor crew for what
looks like a splendid weekend. You guys rock
I'm happy for the good memories you created for the shooters and yourselves.
Great team work from a solid crew O0

Cheers

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

AK

It was a GREAT weekend!  We had a great bunch of shooters to work with.  I had a great bunch of instructors to work along side.   Congratulations to Elizabeth!    Congratulations to all the shooters.  We had a lot of young shooters with great potential.  Olivia's enthusiasm is a great inspiration for us all.  I look forward to meeting all these new friends again "on the trail."  Here are a few more pictures.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

George63

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on March 21, 2011, 03:55:35 PM
  I want to offer congratulations to Elizabeth on her Rifleman's badge.  She is such a nice young lady that it is hard to believe she is George's daughter! ;) 

I hear that, I always have to give credit to my wife for the well behaved children

Garand69

George.... The only thing that beats teaching a total stranger how to be a Rifleman... Is when a family member does it! Been there done that! Hope your as proud as I was!  O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

TheEditor

If you're curious, here is the inventory of rifles in use on Saturday (all .22's)  Totals add up to more than the 23 shooters as some switched rifles during the day. 

Loaners from instructors:  4, one S & W 15-22, and three Ruger 10-22 ltr's.   

Ruger 10-22:  13

Marlin 795:  4

Remington 597:  2

Remington 552 tube fed:  1

Mossberg 702 Plinkster:  1

S&W 15-22:  1

Henry lever action:  1

Other tube-feds:  2
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com