News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

California Dreamin! AAR

Started by Junior Birdman, March 07, 2008, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Birdman

For some reason, there has been a lot of readers of this very old AAR.  Skim it and enjoy. California's first Appleseed, Wow.

Yes, I'm starting the After Action Report even before we shoot!  That way I get to be the first to post.  :D

DW and I arrived and are settled in and waiting for the rest of the gang to arrive so we can kick this party off!

And just so the rest of you can be jealous.......the sun is shining, light breezes, and the temperatures are a brutal mid 70 degrees. How WILL we survive?!?   :o   8)  
  Good thing I brought my survival kit, with the sun tan lotion, sun glasses, and floral pattern shirt!

The preregistration numbers are hovering around the shoot limit, so we will have a full house tomorrow to start the 2008 season in California!

Appleseed and California Dreamin! It's a beautiful thing!   JB

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

ornell

Francis Marion

Welcome.  Let's fit you both for Birkenstocks, and head to the range.

Rumpshot

Yay.  Now get some rifleman scores cranked out and recruit some new IIT's to come keep you busy at the Arizona IBC.

Seriously.  Have a good Appleseed and get some Riflemen scores.

Rumpshot
Member Arizona Apple Core.
Appleseeds are formed in the Apple Core.

Junior Birdman

So, I've been driving around in my hybrid car, feeling SO Californian!  Sun shine, light breezes, and a short drive to the range this morning through 19 million cubic yards of cow poo. Now this is high quality poo, mind you, and the poo experience lasted until about 0900, and then just disappeared, never to be smelt again. I tried to take a picture of it, reasoning that anything which smelled so strong must be able to be seen, but like ghosts, it just doesn't show up on film.

The gang arrived on site at 0700 tooday, chomping at the bit, and ready for what may come. Our intro to the range was our information that we wouldn't be getting all 3 bays for the shoot, and we were already at capacity for all 3.

We decided we'd allow more walk ons, and just shoot a relay.  This worked fairly well, and only slowed the program of instruction down about 2 hours over the course of the day.

Dragon Wood ran the newbie line in Bay 2, along with Socalserf, who's hitting the Appleseed Trail in pursuit of the covetted Red Hat. The two, along wit Kool Aid worked the line hard and we saw some great results for the 14 or so shooters there.  Meanwhile, over in Bay 1, Bob 210 ran a tight ship, calling the line, while AZGrommit worked the line and did LSO duties on the left, Fransis Marion on the right.  I was pressed into service at the rear, where I prepared the folks who were waiting to shoot their relay for what was next. When they swapped positions, I'd do the same again, until all was covered. This allowed scant time to get around the place and do my Master Instructor duties, but I managed to work in what I could.

The line ran slowly because of the relay, but faster than I thought, and the shooters really helped out a lot by paying attention, cooperating, and working hard. We saw good improvements all around, and by days end had managed to squeeze out one AQT for practice. Tomorow, we'll be able to do a lot more, and we're hoping to avoid having to run a relay line.

Looks like we'll have a few Riflemen soon enough, when they get a bit of practice. Lots of good shooters here in California, despite what you'd think out there in the rest of the country. Lots of good, dedicated folks here too, so I look forward to many more Appleseeds, and possibly a Boot Camp soon. (They're already asking!)

Bob's history lessons are superb, Grommits safety brief and line commands were spot on, and the crew has made me proud.

Tomorrow, (well, actually today, since it's so late), will be another great day, because I get to dive into the pool of marksmanship and revel in the company of Riflemen!   JB

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

earthman92

I would like to thank all the instructors for their fine work on Sat. and Sun. It was the most valuable time I've ever spent shooting.
The instructors were professional and kept everything moving. The shooters were a great group of people, worked hard and were not lollygagging about.
The wind came up a little ( ::)) on Sunday but everybody took it in stride. Just a great time.
Thanks!

socalserf

I would like to start by thanking everyone who came out. They say that Appleseed events draw people who are one a a million. That was proven true again.

The first day DragonWood, Kool Aid, and I worked line number two. This is where the novices learned rilflery.
Dragonwood was a real pro, and brought skill levels up quickly.
Lots of shooters used borrowed rifles and we saw a lot of equipment related issues. This most certainly slowed some folks down. Yet they all stuck to it and did their best, keeping a positive attitude.
I was just amazed at the amount of progress that was made.
I think that when willing students meet a skilled instructor magic happens. Thanks DragonWood!

BigIron Mike, your crew of youngsters are just wonderful!

On Sunday the wind came up. This was the classic Santa Ana weather condition. The bright side to this was no
cow dung smell. On the negative side was that the blowing dust created function issues for some.
Interstingly, the major problem invloled a Garand. The ARs on the line seemed to hum along. Go figure!

Sunday I began to work on line number one. So, I had the pleasure of meeting a new group of shooters.
Junior Birdman, Bob210 and Francis Marion had this line squared away.
Most of these shooters were well up to speed with their skills and equipment.
The majority had the basics down and were trying to work on putting together the finer points.

I saw alot of Rifleman groups, and I saw alot of persistance.
A lot of people shot well, but only one Rifleman was made. Grant who has shoot Rifleman before doesn't count, although he shot several very impressive scores. I think they were 233 and 228, wow!!
Several guys shot over 200, with one score of 209! SOOO CLOSE!!!
All had great attitudes and worked through fatigue and pain with out complaint.
Its a lot of learning to pack into two days.

We certainly had our own contingent of "Dangerous Old Men". And they were real troopers and role models to us all.

I would like to Thank all the people from the Calguns Forum, we really appreciate the support.
You were a great bunch of shooters, and dedicated to building your skills.
It was sure good to work with you and I look foward to getting to know your forum better.

A special note of gratitude to both Junior Birdman and DragonWood.
Thanks for comming all the way across the country and doing such superb work.
Instructing is an art form and you both do it a  master level.
Bob 210, Kool Aid and AZGromit rounded out our core of professional instruction.
I enjoyed Bob's Three Strikes history.

I hope to see all of the same people at future Appleseeds.
I know that with all of you out there working towards Rifleman that we can turn California around.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Johnnyappleseed

My brother was unsure of signing for the 2nd day ! After the 2nd day I heard him telling his wife " this was the best weekend of my life"
Thanx to all who did such a fantastic job .
Johnny Applesseed
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Francis Marion

To the Appleseed Program:
Thank you for including California in the great, noble and American tradition of riflery, and its due restoration to relevance today.  We have newfound respect for the founders of our great country- for their courage, resourcefulness, coordination, and skill at arms.  Surely we must learn to do as well, with our arms, in our time, as they did in theirs if our ancestors are to rest in peace.  And don't they deserve to rest in peace, having paid a terrible price during each and every day of eight years' bitter combat and privation.
Many came to shoot, and everybody I talked to and observed over the weekend demonstrated improvement.  Improvement in position, technique, and group size.  It was harder to measure the effect on participants on hearing the story of the birth of our nation, though.  People might not have known much at all, beyond a few vague recollections of an historical fellow named Paul Revere, about that time in 1775.  But to hear the entire story unfold, as we did over the weekend, this riveted our attention and admiration.  We learned that private arms and mutual cooperation were indispensably critical for community safety, and our fight for independence because ordinary people had access to arms, and knew how to effectively use them. 
You and your rifle have a third component which can't be seen but is nonetheless if high importance, and that component is the context of private arms ownership in the US.  To complement your rifle, go out of your way to pick up this context.  Read historical and scholarly accounts of the start of the Revolutionary War so that you can appreciate what arms meant to the writers of the second amendment.  Apleseed is one such place to learn this history.  The realization will dawn upon you that the intent, purpose and context of the second amendment is to ensure that Americans have access to firearms, just as they do any other item in their home, because that is how Americans defend themselves and their country.  I hope you'll react with alarm, then, to the ever present, tireless legislative infringements upon your rights, and I hope you'll oppose such infringements every election. 
Object to second amendment infringements just as you would to the trampling of any of your rights.  Talk, debate, challenge, vote, write letters, but speak up for our arms heritage whenever threatened. 
Your friends and family will likely have as much fun at Appleseed as you did; take them to the range and show them what you know.  And bring them to an Appleseed event next time it's in town.
Birdman, Dragonwood, Bob 210, thank you for taking the time away from your families to spend the weekend teaching us to shoot properly, and reminding us how vital are arms to the free.  Both objectives were achieved. 
Koolaid, Gromit and Socalserf, thanks to all of you for spending the weekend away from home and family to teach people what you know, and increase the awareness and appreciation of freedom and shooting in our time, in our community. 
There are fifty some odd people who have newfound respect for our country, our history, and shoot better than ever, because of what you have done.  Thank you. 

Elroy

[attachment=1]  

i first heard of this on the calguns site where i'm a member , and i attended the 1st day at corona , i would like to thank jr birdman for his excellent instruction azgrommit for his help on the line , loaning me a sling and adjusting my AR front sight , and bob for the wonderful history lesson ,,, along with all the other instructors i did not get a chance to meet ,,, you guys run a first rate operation and i will definitely attend another appleseed , i brought a friend and we both had a great day ,,, welcome to california !!!!!!!!!!!!! please come again !!!!!!!!! ( to corona ! or at the angeles range so we can go distance ????  maybe on a midweek when they will rent out to private groups , we will take a day off work out here with minimal excuse necessary !! )

DragonWood

I'll start off by saying thank you to all of those who attended the first (of many more to come) CA Appleseed!
Another thank you goes to Francis Marion for his involvement in getting us in at this range. And of course to Bob210, Grommit, Serf, and Kool Aid...you guys were great to work with! Keep that fire alive and keep CA growing!! One more thanks to JB, our fearless S/B, who ran a fantastic shoot! Well organized and everyone knew what we doing and what was expected!

I ran the "new to shooting" line. We had 14 very crowded shooters on day one. Actually had to send a few people to the main line, just not enough room on the smaller line. Four kids and the rest adults. Holly, our youngest shooter, was up against a stock much too long for her body. She never complained and never gave up! Like a trooper she persevered. And you talk about trigger control, she had it nailed! Everyone on the line did a fantastic job! They all listened and paid attention. As Serf mentioned earlier, there were lots of malfunctions but they all kept on going!

We got through all positions on day one and even introduced transition from standing to sitting. We reshot the redcoat target at the end of day and saw lots of improvement.

Day two brought those who had signed up for two days back for more fun! We practiced standing, sitting and prone again and introduced the transition from standing to prone. Next we hammered out a couple of practice stages on the CAQT in preparation for the real thing. We were able to get in one AQT a little after lunch time. No riflemen but they could taste it! One shooter who had never fired a rifle before this event, was shooting 4 minute groups by the end of day one! The kids all did great as well. All the shooters had an incredible desire and eagerness to learn. They took in all the instruction and it showed.

Keep up the great work everyone. Practice dry firing, even if it means baking some cookies too!!! ;D

Not sure when I will get a chance to come back out to CA again, I was sure very honored to be out there for the first Appleseed shoot!

Everyone, remember step 7!! Keep it going!
Y'all take care now!  DW 8)

Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. (George Washington)

Junior Birdman

Well, the Birdman is back at the roost, and I find a few minutes left in my day, so I'll attmpt to cover the After Action reasonably well.

Day two broke clear and a little breezy, and as mentioned by Serf, less "pooey" than before. This was, however, only a ruse, suckering us into believing that it would remain this way for a while.  The eco-friendly Prius was in fine form this morning, and just knowing that my reduced carbon footprint was helping to save Al Gore's planet made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Or it could have been the grits at Denny's. (Yes y'all! They got grits in CA!)

Before 0900 the wind began to howl, raising great clouds of dust and sand and nearly knocking down the entire target line.  But the RWVA Engineers sprung into action, and in no time we had the targets back upright with no problems for the rest of the shoot.

A good number of people lost the struggle with the bed and didn't show up for the days events, and those who showed up were set to leap into the pool of marksmanship once again. This allowed us to run the thing without a need for relays, which boosted the effectivness of our thin instructor corp.

After a quick review of the safety rules, six steps, etc, we were treated to another installment of the birth pains of our nation, as Bob 210 spoke to us of the struggles and events of 19 April, 1775.

Next we launched into the basics, smiting squares with groups that were destined to shrink throughout the day, before moving on to the daunting AQT!  AZ was Line Boss, and barked out the commands like a pro. Bob ans Serf worked the line, and I, for the first time, got to do my duties!

The wind blew, and hats, mats, etc continued to fly downrange from time to time, and more than once I turned away just in time to avoid the sand blasting to the face. But the troops held thier ground, and ignored the blasting, grit, sun, etc, until at last the winds gave up and dropped to under 20 mph. (I clocked a steady state 30 mph with gusts to over 40 in the morning  :o)

Lots of folks were on the "plateau" and a few were knocking on the door of Rifleman. One "Heart Breaker" (209), and luckily, nobody shot an even 210, for the nearest body of water looked to be a poo pond.

Over on line 2, DW and her charge of instructors were building shooters out of raw newbies, and I witnessed the effect with a smile. Young and (not so) old alike were learning about marksmanship. About their shooting heritage. About themselves.

More history at lunch time, and after a short recess, we were off again, the numbers dwindling all the while as folks began to "hit the wall".  One intrepid man showed up Saturday fighting the flu, (AT least he got some elbow room on the line!), but trooper that he was, stuck it out until mid day Sunday! That's wanting to come to an Appleseed! 

After a few AQTs, the day wound down and we decided to combine the two lines for a "Sound of Liberty" finale!  A 40  round AQT shot straight through! The new to shooting crowd came over and joined the main line, and with the fire command, a thousand rounds went down range with dust clouds, noise and all the exciting things that make this country great! Little Holly wielded that 10/22 like a pro, impressing all with her speed and fluid magazine changes, which combined with her perfect positions only made the spectacle all the more great!

With the silence came the realization that another Appleseed was about to close. Another chapter written in the book inside my head and heart. And it was a good one. Just to stand with such great Americans for two days and revel in the company of those who love liberty was more than I could ask for.  The smiles, handshakes, and invitations to return were all I needed to recharge this tired old body and I knew that I could do this again tomorrow and the next day.

We closed out the program, cleaned up the site, and folks began to drive away, headed back to the real world where jobs, bills, and the worries of life awaited. I think DW summed up the feeling when she said: "Do we have to leave?"  :'(

It's always a sad thing to finish an Appleseed, but this one was different. It was the first Appleseed for California. The first for THESE Californians. But certainly NOT the last. And I saddled up the Prius and headed into the setting Californis sun knowing that I left the state in good hands. 

Bob, Serf, AZ, my brutha Kool, FM, and all those who toiled and sweat for this event wouldn't let down now. No, they'd only drink from this stream of marksmanship and history, draw strength from it, and awake tomorrow asking only what they can do next to spread the seeds. As California goes......so goes the nation. The challenge is real, Californians. It's now up to you, posterity of liberty! What will you do?   JB

DragonWood

Here's one of the poo generators!
Actually, JB wanted to call this one:
"The look he gets when explaining IMC's"
Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. (George Washington)

SonoftheRepublic

Wow, what a great weekend!  It was truly an honor and a pleasure to be a part of the very first California Appleseed Shoot!  The instruction was excellent, the instructors were knowledgeable and great to work with, and the Revolutionary War history was awe-inspiring . . .Who says this is 'no country for (dangerous) old men'!

I can't say enough about the message that lies beneath Appleseed . . . There was something truly stirring about being gathered 'round listening to the history of our nation's beginning, while gunshots could be heard in the distance. The stories told and history imparted is something that sorely needs to be passionately repeated again, and again, and again . . . how freedom was won by the blood and courage of our forefathers, how their courage as men and skills as rifleman helped secure our right to be free, how precious our Constitution and Bill of Rights, and how important it is to carry that knowledge, those skills, and that torch of liberty and freedom to our posterity for the generations to come. . . And yes it is especially true here in California, where our second amendment and Bill of Rights are being threatened at an alarming rate of speed.

My thanks, to Jr. Birdman for his heartfelt passion and expert instruction (you're passion was awesome man!); to Frank for loaning me his rifle and really helping me out, (my ruger with factory sights weren't cuttin' it) - thank you Frank!; to Bob for the great history lessons and keeping things moving; to AZ for keeping us honest and safe; to Serf for his great encouragement and help; to Kool Aid for adding that unique air of levity; and to Dragon Wood for covering all the bases and  representing the better half of humanity.

I'll be sending out the Appleseed message to everyone I know! 
Give them the History, Immerse them in the Tradition. - The Power of Appleseed

The Appleseed Project - "Returning America To A Nation Of Riflemen"

Grandson of Liberty

I just want to join in and say thanks to all involved. As I told my wife, everyone I met this weekend was "good people." I showed up to learn riflery skills and happened to make a few friends along the way!  Special thanks to the instructors, all of whom showed a dedication and commitment not only to riflery but to honoring our heritage and the sacrifices of those who made liberty possible. I can't say enough about the program- it's a perfect blend of instruction time, shooting time, and "reminder" time to hear the dramatic and powerful details of that pivotal day, April 19, 1775. Let us never forget!

It is truly an honor to have been a part of this weekend- and I look forward to many more as the Apple Orchard of Liberty grows in California!
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

spudger

I recounted my score and it was 206 not 209. I must confess I was felt I was not ready for the weekend. I got hit with a cold the previous Monday and was not feeling much better by Saturday. But my buddy wanted to go even with his arthritis. How could I not go? Everyone was very encouraging and very willing to step in to help. Jr Birdman thanx for the great pointers on positions. I know you felt rushed but I was able to learn a lot in those sessions. I really appreciated the strict adherence to range safety.

As the day progressed the more challenging it became. I surprised myself on how well I meet the challenges. I may have just missed making Rifleman but I improved by leaps and bounds over the course of just one weekend.Time well spent!!! I am excited over the prospect of improving even more. I answered the question that has been bugging me for so long. Is it me or the rifle?? It was not the rifle!!
...the words of that German in the last war (WW1) who, dying, wrote:  "God save us from those Americans. They shoot like devils... They are the best marksmen in the world."     
Quote from: How to shoot the U.S. Army Rifle. The Infantry Journal.

Junior Birdman

Pics from the action:

1. Laser bore sighter on a Garand stock for step 3/ NPOA demo

2. Main line

3. Bob 210 does history, day 2

4. New shooter line

Junior Birdman

More pics:

1. Beautiful bevy of LTRs!

2. Holly works the LTR with good effect

3. Junior Birdman and the MIghty Prius!
          (3 days driving, 3.75 gallons used!)

Scout

Quote from: Junior Birdman on March 11, 2008, 09:12:44 PM

1. Laser bore sighter on a Garand stock for step 3/ NPOA demo

What a great idea!
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Scout

Quote from: spudger on March 11, 2008, 03:44:00 PM
How could I not go?

I may have just missed making Rifleman but I improved by leaps and bounds over the course of just one weekend.Time well spent!!! I am excited over the prospect of improving even more. I answered the question that has been bugging me for so long. Is it me or the rifle?? It was not the rifle!!

Way to go Spudger! Reading this makes me very happy for you (and for me) I know the feeling and still feel it everytime I am at an Appleseed. The desire to improve your skills and to improve yourself. That is Appleseed. Thanks Spudger ;) ;D

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

ken grant

Question  ??? Where did you get the targets that are shown under the Laser Bore Sighter?

Junior Birdman

bob 210

Well, the first CA Appleseed went over without a hitch!!!! We had a great turn out as 49 folks showed up on Saturday morning, ready to go. It was good to see so many local shooters, ranging from kiddos up to "dangerous old men" ;D A great big thank you goes out to all that showed up for this event....it's good to know that rifle marksmanship is still alive and well in CA!

The Red Coat Targets scores first thing in the morning were pretty typical, but the constant improvement through out the day was very gratifying. There were quite a few LTR's, several Garand's, bolt guns, CA AR's, and even a few M1A's.

Thanks goes out to Dragonwood for doing such a great job with the new shooter's over on the "newbie" firing lane....way to break in new folks to the wonderful world of Appleseed!!! ;D

Junior Birdman's instruction was outstanding and made the relay portion of this shoot really work well!

A special thanks to the IIT's.......AZGromit, Kool-aid, Socalserf, Johnyappleseed, and our Ambassador, Francis Marion who also worked the firing line.

I'm looking forward to the next Corona Appleseed......we are working on having one set for March 7-8, 2009 and possibly one in the fall of 2008.......stay tuned!

Thanks again to the all those that attended and I hope to see you all at the upcoming Piru Appleseed on April 19-20 2008... make sure you pre-reg and make sure to bring a friend!! ;D

Bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Elroy

with presidents day wknd  a 3 day wknd it is a very heavy travel weekend here in so-cal and you may get a better turnout ( and less traffic ) going on the weekend before wich is lincoln's birthday , and less folks will have family travel plans to interfere

colycat

Edit on 11,09
Yes, thats right, after 2 days, I shot a whooping 139.  What does it take to make a Rifleman?  Persistence, perseverance, and Patients.

Hi You All,

I just got back to Wisconsin and already my co-workers are tired of hearing about the Apple Seed.  Good news is my boss wants to go to ILL April 19.  He said what could be better than shooting 400 rds  during the weekend. Most people around here are great shots, yea right, like me. (139) Nobody can shoot and thats the truth. I learned so much its unbelievable.

Special thanks to the Birdman, the best teacher I have ever had.

See you all at the Apple Seed.

Tony Bries
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

kool aid

Hummmmm

Y'all are a tough act to follow. I don't know as there is anything I have to add by way of AAR here that hasn't been already mentioned here.

But, you know, I been thinking..........

Maybe I should just tell a story here.

Once upon a time there was this guy who liked to go to one of the big name shooting schools. It was a place where he could go over and over again to the same class and not pay any more tuition than the first time he went. He had started out trying to use a battle rifle there, but quickly figured out that trying to present a FAL for super fast snap shooting wasn't going to do his arm any good. In fact, he still wears a brace on his right arm because of it....

So he switched over to an AR, and found it to be quite good for that particular kind of shooting. Hi-tech optics, super short rifle, you know the drill.

(Don't worry, there is an Appleseed relevant point here. Just hang in there...)

So this guy is at one of these classes and he starts seeing these guys with funny patches. And shooting coats. Like twelve of these guys..... Using Garands, no less. And full length AR's with iron sights. And there was just something about those guys that was memorable. I mean, these were men who..... well, kind of knew what they were about. Kind of cool, in an indescribable kind of way....

And there is this one dude (one of those guys) who is rocking an AR, and he is doing quite nicely with Iron Sights, thank you very much.

A conversation ensues.
Clint Smith is quoted eloquently.

Also somewhere in it is mentioned the RWVA and Appleseed, and a web site. Something about learn to shoot from real joes, not these high speed pros. Reasonable price that most every one can afford.

Hummmm says the man receiving this information. Maybe I should check it out.

And he does.

Jumps in with both feet. Hook line and sinker, drinks to kool aid, doesn't even go to an apple seed.
Streight to bootcamp.
Ends up becoming one of those guys that goes to other shooting schools and shamelessly promotes the RWVA. I mean, this guy BELIEVES.

Digs out his M1A out of mothballs.
Goes to Camp Perry for the nationals.
Gets the funny coat and a set of the patches.
Joins up with the missionaries.

This one off the cuff conversation just totally changes the trajectory of this guys life. I mean, BIG TIME.

But he never saw that dude again. Didn't even have a clue who he was. Wouldn't be able to recognize him if he rode over him with a bicycle. 

Call him the 'phantom missionary'

So our hero is sitting there doing the reg at corona, and who should walk up but one of his pistol students. Known the guy for ten years, had no idea he even knew about the Corona AS. And he has his two brothers with him. And his two cousins. Wow. Small world right?

It gets better.

One of these brothers just kind of asks our kool aid drinker to take off his ball cap. Says something like " I thought it was you"

As it turns out, the afore mentioned "Phantom Missionary" reveals himself to be none other than the elder brother of this gaggle of would-be rifleman. Turns out he is practically paisan to the guy at the reg table.

Guy at the reg table spends the rest of the weekend muttering and shaking his head.

Weird.

But it brings me to a dainty thought: Y'a never know.

You never know that one person you mention RWVA to at the local range who might just catch fire.

You never know what taking that extra five minutes to make make the effort to teach the uninitiated about any one of the basic principals taught at apple seed, will be the thing that gets that guy to dig himself out of what ever marksmanship hole he finds himself unable to get out of.

You never know if that kind word of encouragement you give to that guy next to you on the line, if that just isn't the one thing that keeps him from giving up and getting back on the couch.

You never know if you meet blank stares and resistance 99 times when you try and wake someone up, that maybe that hundredth dude isn't the one that does get it and goes on to do a lot of good here abouts.

You never know who it is you are gonna tell your story to, what ever it is, who won't see something of themselves in it, and take heart to go out and  spread the word.

There.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Now.

Thanks to bird man for showing me how sweeeeet it can be done.
FM for being the invisable hand. (I just want to call you paco for some reason)
DW for putting up with me.
Bob for being 'that guy'.
Gromit for keepin' me honest and awake.
Serf for rockin' that patch
Jonny and Co. for working in the vineyards of the doofus.
Minerva, for hating to lose. Mentle toughness trumps all, over time.

And.....
Most especially to the phantom missionary. Don't worry, your identity is safe.

Kool Aid out

Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

colycat

Well I guess I have got the Appleseed bug.  I just bought 2 Ruger 10-22's for family members. We will be at the Shoot in Shioton WI.  And I am considering ILL in April.

I can't stop thinking about the great weekend I had in CAL.  Thanks again to everyone who did not shoot and worked the line.  You guys are the best!

Tony Bries
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

JohnCBobcat

Now I'm really anticipating Ridgecrest. God willing and the creek don't rise....
2nd Squad, 1st Plt., E Co., 2/39 INF, 9th ID (reenacted), California Historical Group

AAAO!

socalserf

Quote from: colycat on March 14, 2008, 08:35:26 PM
Well I guess I have got the Appleseed bug.  I just bought 2 Ruger 10-22's for family members. We will be at the Shoot in Shioton WI.  And I am considering ILL in April.

I can't stop thinking about the great weekend I had in CAL.  Thanks again to everyone who did not shoot and worked the line.  You guys are the best!

Tony Bries
Hey Tony, It was great to have you on the line and to work with you.
Did you ever get a chance to use your golf clubs before you went back home?
As an aside, those new 10-22s are ok to dry fire, particularly when it gets cold and snowy. So remember that it is always rifle season.
Thanks again for attending!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Johnnyappleseed

Tony , You bought 2 twentytwo's after 1 appleseed .^5
soca serf said it all Thanx for joining
Johnnya
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge