News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bedford Indiana, Feb 19-20 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, February 21, 2011, 12:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Winterseed? Only on Sunday morning. We enjoyed great weather Saturday and most of Sunday, but Sunday morning was cold, wet, and blowing. The first AQT Sunday qualified and Nick got the Winterseed patch for his efforts. We did not get shut out though, we made five other Rifleman this weekend!

Lemme see what my notes have to say...

Saturday started off a bit slow, we had some work to do with positions and we took the time to make certain everyone was getting the lesson correctly. While it slowed us down a bit following the course of fire it paid off in the improvement we saw by Saturday afternoon. A great bunch of shooters, who were willing to learn, willing to try new things, and open to instruction. The groups tightened up, and IMC was completed, groups moved into the black just in time to get through the positions and transitions. SPQR did a fantastic demo AQT scoring 215 and nailing his re-qualification under the watchful eyes of 14 shooters.

The first and only AQT on Saturday rewarded us with a new Rifleman, well done Nick. We saw several hopeful scores and knew then that the extra time required to fine tune the shooters would be paid back with Rifleman on Sunday.

Sunday's weather was supposed to be a slight chance of light rain early and temps climbing to nearly 60. It was not. Sunday dawned cold, wet, and wind blowing hard enough to worry about losing our mats and pop-ups. We took our safety briefing in the barn and then threw on the rain gear. A Redcoat to get started and then right to squares to get everyone loosened up, check rifles, and do IMC again. We saw wonderful squares, shooters "getting" IMC, and decided to go for AQTs as early as we could.

Then we saw the problem, fussing shots, changing positions, likely due mostly to the weather and the wind. So I threw my secret weapon at them. I gave SPQR the line and told him to give me some 15 minute AQTS. He stepped up and we started the AQT grind. Scores started immediately rising, one new rifleman, one new re-qual, two new rifleman, another re-qual, three more new rifleman! Amazing what happens when shooters start to find the Rifleman's Bubble.

Six Rifleman for the weekend!

Mike was so close as was Kayla, I wish they could have shot another AQT or two, they would have made it I am sure. Jamie got her SHF down and the scores showed it was working, I am sure we will see her again. Corbin locked in all together after his last Appleseed and brought it home with a 210, I love the young shooters. Oreo again nailed a stack of fine targets searching for the next Rifleman score to match his other. He has the skill and when he finds his bubble he will be a force to be reckoned with on the line. Doug, Chuck, POC, Lucas, Malea, Jeremy all showed great shooting.

SPQR - 215
Nick - 211, 220
Malea - 220 (irons), 220 (scope)
Patrick - 225
Chuck - 220
Doug - 227
Corbin - 210

We finished up the day with a bit of known distance shooting, learning that what we teach at 25 yards, works at any range. We did the KD lesson, shot a greencoat at 100 yards, then did our IMC and had everyone on steel instantly.

I love it when a plan comes together.

My thanks to everyone who stuck it out through the weather Sunday morning, came with an open mind, and shared a weekend with us. A huge thank you to the Bedford Contingent for the support they provided. The range, the meals, the spot on advice and encouragement to the shooters, and the warm pant's-melting fire to break the chill.

Some history, learning what it means to be an American, discovering that we still have a country where people want to "exercise the character and dignity of a free people" is what keeps me going. I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Let's see if HQ can get the pictures uploaded.

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

I'm still shivering a little after yesterday's cold rain - brrrrr!  That's the last time I believe the weather forecast!  Our shooters all did a fantastic job in the cold rain, though.  We had all levels of experience on the line - veteran Appleseed'ers, veteran shooters, casual plinkers, and new shooters.  Family and friends took to the line and made for a fun weekend - and we even had some friendly competition down on the right side of the line.   ;)

Everyone really dug in and worked hard on Saturday.  There was determination there, and it certainly paid off when those scores started rolling in Sunday - there were lots of groans when those AQTs picked up speed, but the end results speak for themselves!  Oh, and the steel.  Poor, poor steel - it never stood a chance.  Getting rained on instantly by 22s and then a few smacks from the AR and the Garand - well, we'll just say that it was obvious that what everyone learned at 25 really works at 100, too!

It was also obvious that the history was hitting home.  Our shooters were attentive, not afraid to jump in and ask questions or answer them, and really seem ready for some 7th stepping.  Speaking of steps - quick, safety rules - GO!    :D

It was great to meet all of you, and I truly look forward to seeing you again soon.  Dry-fire, work on those positions, and 7th step all the way.  Congratulations to our newest Riflemen - I love the smiles of new Riflemen!   ^:)^

And then maybe we'll all meet back in Bedford for another top-notch, four star Appleseed courtesy of the Bedford Contingent - thank you chilidog, thank you, and thanks to Loctite, Bomber, and The Wright Man & The Wright Woman - we certainly couldn't have done it without you!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Chilidog

Another Great Appleseed! Only thing missing was Neicie! But thank goodness she sent Liberty Bars! It is always good to meet new cooks who become riflemen and women on the line! If you are looking for a great program to be a part of, Appleseed is it! Each Appleseed is better and better! Here we get to see transformations of people in just 2 days time. No better investment can we make than in our fellow Americans. Congratulations to the ones who made rifleman this weekend. Chuck it was good to see you make it! Corbin, Way to go man! With a bolt gun too! Sullivan, Kayla and Mike you guys are so close, don't give up, you can do it! You can do it! Oreo, don't worry, rifleman score is well within your grip. Thanks to his dad for letting him come and be a part of our group. Congratulations to Auntiebellum for making Red Hat! Who can doubt HQ! Rifleman on scope and open sights in the same weekend! Thank you instructors for all the lessons. You are right Doug, every time I come out, Appleseed far exceeds my expections too! Every time! Without the guys from the Bedford Contingent I would never pull this off. I also want to thank my dear sweet wife for she, like the women of 1775 who sent their men out to fight the Regulars, is so willing to send me out to fight off the grip of the couch on our fellow Americans. Americans AWAKE! For here we have this weekend seen another batch of Americans get out and defeat the couch! Any American who has the gumption to come out and work through an Appleseed weekend, Definitely is far Superior to those who would rather live life in the cushions of their home. Great job everybody! What a fine group of Patriots!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

POC

Another great shoot at Bedford. The range and the hospitality are hard to beat.  O0
Corbin has a tube fed gun, but not bolt-action (that was me last fall). I was still super proud of him. Everyone in the family says he is more like me than his parents. Maybe he grew from a piece of my toe-nail or something....

Everything went well despite of the cool temps that I didn't dress for on Sunday morning.  "65* with chance of rain," I don't think we got close to 65!!  I was happy to see the barn and the propane heater when we got there Sunday morning!

Looking forward to the next one.  ^:)^
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

HQ

It was a great weekend, and absolutely perfect weather.  For February in Indiana I was very excited at our luck!  Between everyone that picked up my camera this weekend we took 217 pictures.  I haven't had a chance to go through all of them yet- but I picked out some of the more important ones to post this evening.  Check back - I'll post more soon!

One of the many reasons we have grown to love our Bedford Contingent.  These guys are a phenomenal group of men!  I can't thank them enough for their hospitality.

And without further ado, here are our new Riflemen!!!

Corbin!

Chuck!

Doug!

and Nick!

Congratulations to you all!

And really what would the weekend be without a few re-qualifications?

Congrats to POC,

and, well, me!

It was a great weekend, here are 'most' of the shooters from this weekend!

And here is after SPQR handed the camera off to Auntie Bellum!

I'll be back soon with some action shots from the line! 

SPQR

HERE WE ARE AT BEDFORD!  

Yet again we tested the measure of ourselves as Americans.  We shared the story of Isaac Davis.  You can only push someone so far.  When backs hit their own doors you will, inevitably, get the teeth.  Here was a man who walked down the hill into Concord because he made the safety and education of his neighbors his personal responsibility.  It was not his Liberty Pole cast to the flames, but he understood that it just as well could have been.  I believe that in the cresting light of day on that Spring morning he recognized that when the people of Concord had their backs against the wall it was his back, too.  He did what his character mandated.  He did the American thing.  It was ugly, grisly, murderous work and he did it anyway.  This was the price of his journey into citizenship and he paid it so we never have to.  

No, in fact, the price of our citizenship is often the mere nature of our birth.  That we should exalt ourselves by the mere nature of our birth will never do.  No.  We must earn it.  We must sacrifice for it in some way or we will never cherish it as he did.  We will never really own it.  We will, terribly, disgrace him.    

"What is this!?" you say in shock, the mind recoiling in horror.  "Surely SPQR has handed out some ridiculously worded call to Arms!"  No, I say.  Not hardly.  I am, frankly, too good looking and charming for such base, militaristic vanities.  Our sacrifice is different, must be different, or we will have truly failed him.  We must preserve it.  We must pass it on.  If the country is truly sinking, it is because people have forgotten Isaac Davis and become too stale and apathetic to inconvenience themselves enough to recognize what that kind of loss has wrought.  

"Surely," some might say, "We cannot produce that species of man any longer."  Some might even say we should not.  I, of course, can only laugh.  I laugh because I know a guy named chilidog.  I know guys like Loctite and Bomber and the Wright Man.  I know that these men open up their homes and heart to preserve a heritage more precious to us than gold.  Davis opened up his home and his pocketbook to help his neighbors get better on a little range behind his smithy.  Well, folks, just turn South at the sign that reads "Childers Farm" and dogleg around the barn and the smiley face diesel tank and the warning signs that say "MINES".  When you crest that little knob look down at the scene before you.  If, somehow, you can tell me that these men are not the finest brand of citizen I will excuse you from the ranks of my countrymen.  I will not expect anything from you.  Congratulations, the beneficent SPQR has alleviated you of any responsibility.  I hope your chains rest lightly.

If, however, upon that scene you feel the surge in your breast and the freshened breeze upon your face all you have to do is walk down the hill and get to know a guy named chilidog.  From that moment on, whenever some apathetic dog, some base hireling who knows nothing of what they are about says, upon witnessing the story of Isaac Davis, that such a breed of man does not any longer exist, you may confront them with the Truth.  

No need to thank me, You are welcome.

I loved this shoot.  I have never had this much fun in this crappy of weather.  I enjoyed it terribly.  I even enjoyed my Daniel Morgan moment, and it would not have been half as satisfying if I didn't have all those buddies there to rib me.  THANK YOU to all the shooters!  It was incredibly fun to have you on the line.              
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

Love the pictures, HQ!  Two things to point out to everyone: Note the bag of patches that YHJ is holding - when Indiana gives out patches, we mean business!  Second - SPQR slid into my spot in the photo way too easily.  HQ, we may need to keep careful watch on our men.   ;)

POC

To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

POP

Sounds like another great Indiana Shoot.
I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS AUNTIE!
It's great to know you (and rimshot).  I know how hard you have worked to earn your RH.
I would love to have been there with you this weekend.
Anyone have a pic of Auntie in her new hat?
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

AuntieBellum

Quote from: POP on February 22, 2011, 01:32:27 AM
Sounds like another great Indiana Shoot.
I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS AUNTIE!
It's great to know you (and rimshot).  I know how hard you have worked to earn your RH.
I would love to have been there with you this weekend.
Anyone have a pic of Auntie in her new hat?
POP

It was indeed another great Indiana shoot!  Thanks, POP!

As far as a picture...well, you'll just have to wait.  You know, it's great when you squeeze in extra shoots and unexpectedly move your IPC date up by a few weeks...but it makes it hard for the SB to have the proper supplies on hand without proper notice.    ;) 

HQ

Here are some more photographs from over the weekend.  Better late than never right?

Here you will see our delightful shoot boss giving some valuable instruction!

Here you see Corbin performing the sacred rite of signing the bomb at Bedford!

As well as me.  This combined with my new purple patch just about made my weekend!

Some of our redhats getting down on the KD line!

Mike hitting steel at 100yds-standing, repeatedly.  No luck or coincidence here!

Lucas with SPQR showing off their perfect trigger fingers!

Auntie Bellum and Oreo demonstrating the seated position with SPQR looking on. . .

History on Saturday.  This farm is gorgeous in every single season that exists!

More KD

I won't lie, this was a lot of fun to shoot.  Thank you Rimshot!

Yellowhouse giving his Sunday Benediction.  I believe everyone did make it home safely, so it was a great shoot! 

And I will leave you with this last image of the farm.  I had a lot of fun this weekend- thank you to everyone who made it work!

yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

Call me crazy but Rimshot takes a good picture from profile.  The focus, the grim determination, the calm assurance that somehow, regardless of situation, success only requires his attendance.  If we were to paint him onto the boat with Washington he would hardly be out of place.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

yellowhousejake

He would be facing the wrong direction, but it is an astute observation none the less.  :cool2:

YHJ

YHJ

stschil

Gawd, I love that last picture with the bomb and Ol' Glory wavin' proud!    Simply awesome!
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

SPQR

Being in the classroom has put a little cover on the old middle.  i am going to have to do something about that i reckon. sniff sniff    ooooo! chicken fried steak and mashed taters!  I'll be back. ++)

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Patriot Gal

Looks like you all had a great time.  Love the pictures!!

One of these days, CM and I are gonna border raid into Indiana.
Congrats to all the Riflemen!!!  You make us proud!  O0 :bow:

See you all on the trail!
Thanks for all you do for Appleseed!
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Niecie

Come on over! I'd love to see you and catch up :) There are lots of opportunities on the schedule, and we would love having you here. I'll bring Libertybars!

Niecie