News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pensacola, FL, - February 5-6, 2011

Started by dond, February 09, 2011, 10:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

It was well worth the drive from KY to Pensacola to meet the fantastic Florida Appleseeders. The instructors were a joy to work with and they performed in an exemplary fashion. And the shooters were eager to learn marksmanship and history. Everyone extended a warm welcome. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the weather. Seventeen shooters showed up Saturday morning, but two had to leave after only a short time because they weren't dressed warmly enough. But by the end of the day two shooters achieved their Rifleman Scores.

Sunday morning was even colder. We had to scrape thick ice off windshields. I was informed that such tools are not available anywhere in Florida. Fortunately I always carry one in the truck. Only eight shooters returned that day. Four had only signed up for one day, and a family emergency kept the other three at home. However, those three were enthusiastic and I expect them to return for future events. They are even planning to buy a rifle like the ones they borrowed from me. At the end of the day we had two more new Riflemen. And one who had shot the Score Saturday with a 22, achieved it again with an AR. In addition, some who had earned the Rifleman Score repeated it multiple times. Another young man kept improving until he had a score of 207. That should come next time. He is anxious to become an instructor. What a great day, even with competition from the Super Bowl and a gun show.

Several photographs were taken and I hope they appear here soon.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

ItsanSKS

Have been eagerly awaiting reports from this Appleseed, having met and worked with many of the instructors and students who were to be in attendance.  

It is good to hear of so many Rifleman scores being recorded at this venue- I know many of the students whom I have worked with before have put in long hours of practice, and it seems that it has finally come to fruition for them.

Sounds odd to hear of ICE on windshields in Florida, but as you found out, it can, and does, happen.  This is 'winter' after all...

Please note that we have already scheduled our next event at this venue, for April 2,3 of 2011.  Online registration should be open shortly is up, found here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1304954153

Other dates/venues are in the works,so keep checking our online schedule, found here: Florida Schedule

This April event will likely be the last at this venue until Fall, so for you locals, this may be your last opportunity for MONTHS to attend an Appleseed without driving countless hours.  

Thanks to DonD for standing in as Shoot Boss, and to the other fine instructors who helped make this event a success!

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

gcvaughn

Pics, finally!

I like shooting with precision.  It appeals to every part of me- AdobeWallsOfFla

Buffalo_Soldier

It certainly was a bit chilly the first day for this Floridian, but by the second day, it was warming up and everything I had learned started to come together  ;D 

It was my first Appleseed, and I didn't know what to expect.  I had a great time meeting new people and never get tired of hearing how America came to be.   

Thanks to Don and the rest of the instructors, I learned proper technique and really started to find my groove.   I was lucky enough to be between two phenomenal riflemen, whose amazing marksmanship skills help inspire me.  I have a lot of practice to do, and look forward to another Appleseed weekend of good people and fun times.

Alchemist

It was no doubt chilly for Florida, but this was another fantastic shoot.  Don is a great shoot boss and Sarah is a fantastic, hard working and knowledgeable lady.  I have no doubt that she could put on the red hat and make riflemen for cooks.

We also had a fantastic group of shooters. 

One shooter had been to several events and had not yet put it all together for a rifleman score.  I know the over the past couple of months he had been at the range a lot, working hard and no doubt dry practicing.  I think he can shoot a rifleman score no matter how cold it got.

Another shooter from MS was itching to put on the orange hat but had yet to score a rifleman.  Mission accomplished.

Throw in a couple of first time Appleseeders that made rifleman and there you have it.

It's should be obvious that DonD and all of the instructors did a great job bringing to us a successful and safe event.

GC - Nice pics!

There were a number of people that said they plan to bring friends to the next shoot (April 2-3).  Flyers were distributed and any help promoting the event is appreciated!.

As Eric mentioned, this will be the last Appleseed event at ERML until October.  Don't miss it!

Tim

HR

This was another great Appleseed on the ERML range. This time I finally got it all together and achieved Rifleman Scores. It took me a few Appleseeds, in temperatures from almost 100 degrees the first time in the summer down to almost freezing this time. Great instructors and great instruction!

I practiced a lot between Appleseeds and got to know a whole lot about my rifle and my equipment.

It is very inspiring to see other people shoot well and see your own skills improve if you put in the necessary effort. Alchemist has been a good inspiration for me and having my target being splashed by the dirt thrown up by Buffalo_Soldier's 30-06 impacts was an interesting sight.

We all did good and had a great time. I know that the instructors had at least as much fun as we did, but possibly (probably) even more. Too bad I can't shoot with a smile on my face, because it messes up my cheek weld.

Thanks to ItsanSKS and DonD and all the other instructors!

Hans