News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: "WinterSeed" Cloverdale, IN (Jan 29, 2010)

Started by techres, January 30, 2011, 10:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

We had four brave souls come out to join us on a chilly and wet morning.  The ground was snow covered and had patches of ice.  The sky was overcast and had a breeze that added to the chill factor. 

First we got our gear to the equipment line which DaveD had so kindly spray painted into the snow:

Once mats and gear were in place, we retired to the clubhouse to do our safety brief and the classroom portion of the event.  For a little over an hour we covered all the fundamentals up to and including slings, 6 steps to firing the shot, prone position and line commands.

Soon we were ready to get rifles from the cars and get to shooting!

DaveD watched each shooter and gave watched them for the classic problems of trigger flinging, flinching, and bucking.

Soon it was time to head downrange and get to the last bit of classroom learning which was IMC:

Now I should mention our special guests.  With us was an INGO member and his dad.  Limpy88 was the winner of our Daniel Morgan contest and won himself a free spot on the line:

Also with us was red hat Bill of Rights who was shooting that day in order to re-qualify:

After lunch and the first two strikes of the match, it was time to get back to the line and work on ball & dummy, where the students become the teacher and trick the other students with either full or empty magazines:

And also to work on target shifting:

And then into the final positions of sitting and standing:

Before the end of the day and the final history strike, we were able to get two AQT's in and while we had several close to 210, there was one student who broke through to get the winterseed patch:

[*BOR also passed 210, but that only got him a reprieve from the beatings we had planned if he failed re-qual!]

Thanks to all that came, and I hope to see each of you on the line again soon.  You all did great and all have more to learn.  Remember to practice, study, and shoot. 

Thanks again,
Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

AuntieBellum

Congratulations to the new Rifleman!  I heard it was certainly a chilly day and one worthy of the most coveted Winterseed patch! 

And congrats to BoR for requalifying.  :bow:

Oh, how I luvvvvv Winterseeds!!!

Now, everyone, back to work - there's 7th stepping and dry-firing to be done!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

fprintf

Looks kinda chilly. What would you say the temperature and wind speed were?
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

techres

Quote from: fprintf on January 30, 2011, 10:38:14 PM
Looks kinda chilly. What would you say the temperature and wind speed were?

Wind Chill Factor: 5 Degrees
Actual: 18 Degrees
Wind: 12 MPH

It was not as bad as two years ago when we had sleet accluding barrels faster than we could boresnake them clear, so this was actually fun instead of a pain.

We had fewer rifle malfunctions than I expected too.  One dud 223 round and not much else.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.