News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lewiston, Idaho, January 22-23,2011

Started by Reformed Redneck, January 24, 2011, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reformed Redneck

To all,

We had a very encouraging shoot this weekend in Lewiston.

We had 11 shooters on the line on Saturday morning. Most were return Appleseeders who were on a quest for a Rifleman's patch and/or to improve their skill set. We had one participant who had never even handled a firearm before.

Weather was quite mild for this time of year, low 30's to low 40's, and only partly cloudy. Those who really wanted to pursue the 'Winterseed' patch were a little disappointed by this odd turn of events, but there is still plenty of winter time weather possible in this part of the country, and we have two shoots per month scheduled in Idaho through to the Fall.

Emily became a new Riflewoman. She had been creeping up on the patch, and was rewarded for her persistence and diligence with a 210 score. She was, however, spared the traditional dousing with water by the thoughtful consideration of the other participants and instructor staff. Splaticus shot another three Rifleman scores, with a high score of 246. I must mention that he did this with a bolt action rifle. He is very adapt at manipulating the bolt, and is within a whisker's distance of clearing the AQT with his rifle. His ability with his rifle has really inspired one of the young ladies who came to persist in getting her patch with her bolt action rifle. His example is reinforcing her determination to do so, as the signs are such that she is not terribly far from being able to accomplish this. He has also committed to becoming an IIT, and was welcomed into the fold as such.

One of the things worth mentioning here is that the newcomer of the shooters came as a result of the invitation of one of the other participants who had previously been to an Appleseed. Despite this, the new shooter expressed that she had personally held some apprehensions about what the event and instructors might be like. She said that she sort of expected a bunch of 'Rambo' types that would behave like military Drill Instructors. She was pleasantly surprised to find out that the instructors were just average folks, like her, who have a zeal for Liberty. Seventh stepping really works.

We had a great time with the KD segment of the instruction. It offered a very good opportunity to confirm our basic instruction points concerning distance shooting, and to offer the shooters to apply the mathematics of trajectory in a tangible manner.

I'm sure the Redneck publicity staff has some photos they are anxious to post here, so I will get this up and get out of the way.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Evenstar

Being that I've been off the trail for a few months, it was certainly great to be out on the range again, though I was only present Saturday.

The best part of it for me was working with a brand new shooter. Katie had never touched a rifle in her life; told us that the closest she had ever been to one was on the drive to the range Saturday morning. Being able to teach her the basics of rifle Marksmanship was truly an awesome experience. She took in all the information, and was an eager student. On Saturday, Katie went from not hitting paper, to getting some decent groups in the evening. And she's definitely coming back as soon as she can. I'll be looking forward to working with you again! ;)

I'd like to congratulate Splaticus on stepping up to become an IIT, and Emily for scoring Rifleman. Well done, guys! O0

Thanks to the Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club for hosting us once again, and for the excellent lunches they provide. :D

Now for some pictures. :)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Johnnyappleseed

30s --- do not qualify for winterseed? LOL
Good job Idaho  ;)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Wheeler44

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on January 24, 2011, 12:53:59 PM
30s --- do not qualify for winterseed? LOL
Good job Idaho  ;)
JA
Hey Johhny...That Idaho crowd is pretty tough aren't they?  GoodGreat job Idaho....

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

OnlyHitsCount

Hey Johnny-

Its really hard to tell a guy who lives in Idaho year-round that 30's-40's in January is winter.  ???  Believe me we tried!  Even the snowflake cutouts weren't convincing.   ^-^  But Emily came away with something just as special... a purple 'Madam Yotnotten' patch.  VERY cool!   :cool2:

OnlyHitsCount
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

Mark Davis

Heck if it's up to the 30s the Idaho bunch would be thinking about planting tomaters, and mowing the lawn.

splaticus

Was amazing to head over to Lewiston with my wife and kids.  Thank you so much to Larry, Shawn and their family for putting on the Appleseed Shoot!  Everyone had a great time and we really appreciate the special attention that you gave to Rachelle and Liam (especially you Lesile)!  And thank you to Patrick for telling me about my blinking, I've been working on it hard since you informed me!  Every tip helps!  It was also a lot of fun shooting your M1 RR, looking forward to owning my very own someday!  Here are a few pictures that we took, hope to see you all in either Prosser or Bickleton in a few months!

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Earl

But Reformed Redneck and Patman are Rambo types - with much better language and social skills - because the ladies are watching and they want to make them proud. Tim, M1A not M1, that sure looks like a fine rifle. 246 back to the cave, y'all too good. Thirty degrees but it is a dry cold... ;D
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Roland

Glad to see that your shoot went well, to our new riflemen and especially our new IIT. And good to see that Patrick still hasn't been relieved of parking lot duty :D.

See Y'all soon,

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

splaticus

Quote from: Earl on January 25, 2011, 11:46:55 AM
But Reformed Redneck and Patman are Rambo types - with much better language and social skills - because the ladies are watching and they want to make them proud. Tim, M1A not M1, that sure looks like a fine rifle. 246 back to the cave, y'all too good. Thirty degrees but it is a dry cold... ;D

When you told me in November that the CZ was a 'fine' rifle I had no idea!  The more I shoot it the more I like it!  Thanks for the correction on the M1A!  I am learning!   ;D 

splaticus

Western Rose

Thank you too all of the attendees who came out with GREAT attitudes and were such a blessing to be on the line with. I'm looking forward to seeing you each again.

Splaticus, thank you for stepping up and taking on the Orange Hat! Thanks for bringing out the young ones!!!
OnlyHitsCount, you did REALLY well on the line as an instructor for the first time! If I hadn't know, I would have never known it was your first!

To the Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club, thanks so much.
Bob, thanks for fixing us lunch!!!

Some favorite quotes (and pictures) from the weekend:

During IMC - "How many inches is 4 MOA @ 300 yds?"
From our 7 year-old shooter - "12!"

"Put your eyes and ears on"
"Hey Dad, we have got our eyes and ears, and heads!!!"

And hearing our "little line boss" was a lot of fun.  ;D
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

splaticus

Thanks for posting the pictures and great quotes Western Rose!  Those made me laugh!  Good times and we are all looking forward to the next one!

OnlyHitsCount

Quote from: Western Rose on January 27, 2011, 11:36:12 AM

Western Rose, don't forget this one...

"Honey, I shot your target.  Did I mention you look lovely today?"  -Piper
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

HalfPint

That quote cost me my last two shots... I couldn't stop laughing long enough to get an NPOA!

Idgi
character means knowing that the easy thing is not always right, the right thing is not always easy, and doing it anyway.

Western Rose

**) **) **) Wow... I wish I had have been able to hear that one!!!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Evenstar

Quote from: OnlyHitsCount on January 29, 2011, 02:50:16 AM
Quote from: Western Rose on January 27, 2011, 11:36:12 AM

Western Rose, don't forget this one...

"Honey, I shot your target.  Did I mention you look lovely today?"  -Piper

Ah, that's great! **) **) **) **)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011