News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ILLINOIS & REGIONAL INSTRUCTOR BOOT CAMP

Started by Pappy, January 18, 2011, 03:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy

Hello All; Post your thoughts here about the IBC, Thanks Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Shooter30-06

First and foremost I want to thank Pappy and his hard working better half for all the work and effort they expended in hosting the event.  I enjoyed meeting a lot folks I had not met before.  I want to expend a special thanks to Colycat for coming down and giving us some rock solid instruction.  The only complaint I have is that I could not find anything to eat (although I gained three pounds)!   I only hope I never run into as difficult a group of shooters as the IITs ran into at the mock Appleseed.  Wow!
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Castle Mountain

It was a fun IBC and a good IBC and we have a wonderful Class of IIT's who will advance our program greatly. Very impressed with this class.
Moreover, the labor of Pappy, G69 and Jarrett needs a big time ovation for all the hard labor intensive service performed running such a large
kitchen. It was, as I observed, a full time job. Tables and counters to clean, dishes to wash and dry and a way, dinners to prepare and serve out
plus participate in this event. Reminded me of church camp days when you took all that stuff for granted. Not  now. I surely love and appreciate
everything you fine people did. Moreover, a big note of appreciation needs to be officially sent to the Masonic Lodge for having (because of Pappy)
so graciously given us their building facilities for the weekend. This was huge. Who will do this good deed? EEL? G69 you da man!

Hugs to everyone and thanks for coming.

CM

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on January 18, 2011, 03:22:36 PM
First and foremost I want to thank Pappy and his hard working better half for all the work and effort they expended in hosting the event.  I enjoyed meeting a lot folks I had not met before.  I want to expend a special thanks to Colycat for coming down and giving us some rock solid instruction.  The only complaint I have is that I could not find anything to eat (although I gained three pounds)!   I only hope I never run into as difficult a group of shooters as the IITs ran into at the mock Appleseed.  Wow!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

dragonfly

A special thanks to Mrs. Pappy, once again you show behind all great men there is an even greater women  O0 .
Thanks to all for bringing a teachable attitude, and as always I learned alot from you all.
It was great to meet new friends and catch up with old ones.
See you all on the trail soon.

D-fly   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Taylor

Thank you Pappy, Mrs. Pappy and Garand69 for the fantastic hospitality although I have now outgrown my "fat" pants.

Thank you Red Hats for all your help and instruction especially the fraternity hazing er..I meant to say Mock Appleseed.

Taylor
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

ITB

Yeah, about that mock Appleseed....... %)    ++)    !@#)    &)

If I could shoot boss that "event," I know I can SB anything.  Gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "herding cats."

Seriously, though - thanks to Pappy, Mrs. Pappy and Garand69 for all of their toiling behind the scenes.  Those were some good breakfasts.  I won't repeat what my wife told me when I said how nice it was waking up to the smells of eggs, bacon and potatoes.  The building was great, it especially had great acoustics for all of the snoring.  Thanks again to Pappy for procuring our venue.

Thanks to Colycat and Eel for their efforts, to the other RH Instructors, and to all the IIT's who attended.  I have to admit to being a little jealous, it looks like Illinois has some great future Red Hats in the pipeline.

I learned a lot, and I made a lot of new friends.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone out on the AS trail.

And lastly, I know what we teach works, but there's nothing cooler than laying down in the snow, slinging up a rifle with iron sights, trying to keep your glasses from fogging, and squeezing off your first two shots and smacking the steel at 300 yards.   HUZZAH!!!!

I posted a bunch of pics from Monday HERE.  Password is appleseed.

Here are a few samples:

Someone please spot for me? 

The Editor shooting GB's brown bess:

group photo:

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Superheat

Quote from: intheburbs on January 18, 2011, 07:41:55 PM
  I have to admit to being a little jealous, it looks like Illinois has some great future Red Hats in the pipeline.
I GUESS I KNOW WHERE I RANK!
(Need a new smiley that is getting beaten down)
Joking aside.
Thank you Pappy, Garand69 and all the rest of the hospitality crew.  I felt spoiled.  Thanks to all the instructors.  My head is still trying to find space for all the stuff I learned.  
Illinois is blessed to have a FIRST rate instructor core.  
Superheat.

colycat

Words alone cannot express my gratitude to Pappy, Jarret. and G69 for all the work they put into this weekend.  I hope yoos guys had some fun in the kitchen.  Once again I was a total slacker :P

Wow, what a group of up and coming instructors.  Wish they all were from the land of cheese.  Thanks Taylor for driving a billion mile from way up nort to attend.

D-Fly and I left the land of Lincoln feeling pretty good about the weekend.

Thank you to everyone who came and learned.  I will be sending out the 3 strikes that I use, as well as some of the quotes.

I really hope to see all of you again.

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

2 clicks low

First I would like to thank Mrs. Pappy, Pappy and G69 for the 3 squares and everything else that enabled us to concentrate on learning to teach.

Colycat you run a great IBC. Thanks to all the instructors (  !@#) except Castle Mountain who is banned from my shoot line forever >:D).

A special thanks to our KD Shoot Boss in the snow, Gopher Boy.

I really appreciate everyones dedication and effort in making this work so well.

Thanks to all, and Back to Work ~~:)
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Pappy

Hello Group: It was our pleasure to make every one feel at home at the Illinois & Regional IBC.
  The FOOD well lets just say it was another BELL RINGER !!!! WOW hope every one was full and content...
Thank you all for being GREAT guests of The Lodge, You fellows were the ones that made the event, it was easy to clean up after the group left..

This Location is where we will be hosting ALL future IBC`s in this area. And if it works out the AIBC`s as well.

Thanks again Pappy & Mrs Pappy  :cool2:  %)
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

TheEditor

My thanks as well to our hosts, Mr. & Mrs. Pappy & G69.  I was stuffed with food!

Nice to meet several of you in person that I'd known only via the forum. 

If the orange hats could handle all the stuff we threw at them in the Mock Appleseed, I think they can handle it in real life. 

Shooting in the snow was FUN - even though target identification was VERY difficult in the blowing snow. 

See you on the trail.

TE
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Yankeedutch

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great weekend.  I learned alot... and learned I have a lot more to learn!  Hah, Mock Appleseed...that'll be easy?! :wall:
Hey 'Burbs thanks for the great pictures (Hope you don't mind I borrowed one for my profile).  

The pictures say it all.  "I know there's steel down there... I can hear it ring after I pull the trigger."  Hey GB this KD stuff really works!!  When I got home, I had water in my trigger group, mags, bolt etc.  A rifle should be well used and well maintained. No safe queens for me.
Special thanks to our hosts Pappy, Mrs Pappy, and G69.  Up at the crack of way too early to make some great breakfast.
At the risk of making an Academy Awards speech or leaving someone out, I appreciated the excellent instruction from Coly, DFly, GB etc.  Hey Eel thanks for all of your work as well.
I came in a little unsure of what to expect, but left with new friends on the 'trail.
Blessings,
Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

wooldl

Hello guys,

Thanks to everyone that played a part in the Illinois & Regional IBC! Special thanks to Pappy and Mrs. Pappy for hosting the event and making sure we all got fed. There was no shortage of awesome food!! :) Thank you very much!!!!
I learned a lot and met some great people that I hope to see on the trail. I learned that Red Hats make HORRIBLE shooters!! Haa!!! The Mock Appleseed was a great idea and loads of fun. Those Red Hats put 'intheburbs' to the test.  O0
Monday was great!! Thanks to Gopher Boy for being shoot boss at Waterman for some KD time! I had to leave by 1:00 so I didn't get to shoot at 400 yards but I sure enjoyed ringing the steel at 200 & 300 yards with my Garand!!  ..:.. :---

Like Dutch, I didn't really know what to expect, but I learned a lot and made some new friends. God Bless all of you and I'll see you on the trail!

wooldl
"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! " - John Adams

AQT Dryfire Practice mp3 files: http://www.4shared.com/folder/559qijqr/My_4shared_Sync.html

Garand69

Wheeewww  $$-0

Thank you all for attending. Another great bunch of folks through the Illinois Instructor Mill O0

I would like to thank those involved on making this happen. Colycat and D-Fly coming down at the last minute to cover for The Guy's dismissal, and Gopherboy for doing a great job running the show on Monday. O0 O0 And of course Mr & Mrs. Pappy for securing such excellent facilities and busting your tails in the kitchen!!  ^:)^ ^:)^

I must first apologize for this IBC not being as advertised. While our friends to the North, Colycat and D-fly, did a great job running an IBC, we did miss our mark regarding a History Based IBC, and if you made the time to attend for the extra history, I apoligize.

The good news is this.... We are currently in the scheduling process for the first ever in Illinois (or anywhere else for that matter) History Boot Camp.

This HBC will be in the same excellent facilities and will be a Sat/Sun affair, with the doors open on Friday Night for early arrivals. As said earlier, the acoustics of this wonderful 100 year old building are perfect for snoring, so bring some ear plugs  >:D Pappy and I do not snore....... but da rest of ya's...  **)

While EEL, Pappy and I, iron out the curriculum, I can assure you that it will be all about getting that "Appleseed Mindset" and "Setting the Hook With History/Storytelling"..... oh and of course great eating as well ;)

So Stay tuned in to the IL board for more information! We hope to have it running before the April 19 rush O0

See you all on the Trail soon!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Yankeedutch

Hey G69,

No need to apologize here.  I learned alot.  I could use more history, but I needed a lot of work on the technical side too. Like you said, Coly and DFly did a great job.  GB held an informal session on Saturday night with several IITs covering some history.  If I could make it to a history BC I would love to focus on that for a weekend.
Once again you guys are tops in my book... especially the Riflemen in the kitchen.

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

AK

I would like to echo prior comments and thank Pappy, Jarrett, and Garand for taking such good care of us.  The meals were great!  Thanks for all your work.  The weekend was fun.  I learned a lot from our red hats and my fellow orange hats.  The Mock Appleseed was a real experience.  What a group!!!  I didn't get to shoot on Monday, but it actually looks like you had a great time.  Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

George63

Always good to shoot in "real world" conditions, to know how the rifle and shooter perform in something other than 70F, shade and a gentle breeze   

Yankeedutch

Hey George,

Do you mean it wasn't nice weather?  I didn't notice.

Dutch
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Edmund Burke

Stonn

Hello,

I wanted to express my appreciation to Pappy, G69, EEL and Colycat and all the other red hats for putting together a fantastic IBC. The food was great but the instruction was top notch. Breaking up into small groups was one of the best parts so all of us newbie orange hats can practice our presentation skills. The mock AS was unreal but we made it through unscathed and intheburbs, you did a great job as SB. I look forward to seeing many of you on the AS trail this year.

All the best,
Stonn

Pappy

Hello Group; From out of this IBC was spawned the (HBC) the History Boot Camp.... It will be here in Ottawa. Same location early April 2&3 ARRIVE friday after 5, See ya there.. It will be a blast..... Pappy

EEL

Thanks to our brothers from "up nort" for making their way thru the Cheddar Curtain and helping make this IBC a success.  If we do not train our replacements, we will fail.  If we do not add to our ranks, we will fail.  If we do not wake up America, we will fail.  Oh yeah, failure is NOT an option!  &)    @)

Thanks to all that made the trip into the Republic of Illinois, despite the weather, other family commitments, and our wonderful gun laws.   ;D

+1 what Pappy said.  There will be a new thread announcing the HBC.  Keep an eye out for it.  Two days, nothin' but how to tell the story, how to reach your shooters, how to convey the importance of April 19, 1775.  Make sure you have read / brushed up on PRR.  We hope to do this shortly BEFORE the April 16-17 shoots so you can maximize your hard efforts.

Thanks again to all that attended.  There IS hope.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Gravy

Great people, great instruction, great food - tanks everyone!  It was an awesome weekend.  O0
Tanks for the pics, Burbs!  Sent a couple to some friends in Texas who couldn't imagine shooting in the snow.  That was fun!
I'm glad to hear about the HBC.  I really need to be there.  Have some scheduling issues to work on, but will try to work it out. :wb: