News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tube fed Marlins?

Started by Juggler, January 13, 2011, 01:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggler

I was wondering what the situation would be if I brought my Marlin 75C 14rd tube fed to the AS? I can make up my own "clips" from arrow shafts as I have plenty old bent/tweaked shafts. How many rounds do I need to make these "speed loaders" hold?

Just anything I might need to know in advance. Ya know, a cook needs to know what ingredients he needs to work with.

My trusty Marlin 75C is equipped with Tech Sights, USGI sling, and a slip on recoil pad to increase my LOP.

Mostly concerned about the reloading.

Since I live east of Davison, I'll probably make the Lapeer shoot. February is kinda iffy, ("Aurthur" might complain too much.) October for sure though. Not too say I won't make February, I'm still a tuff old bird, and what I lack in good sense I usually make up in stubborness.  ;) 

Help me out folks! Thanks! 

Chrome

Hello and welcome to Appleseed!

The situation is only slightly different than bringing a traditional magazine fed rifle.  At the shoot, one of the instructors will explain to you what you do differently.  It's a fairly simple process. You should be fine making a speed loader out of whatever you'd like to use.  People commonly make them from McDonald's straws (as they are a larger diameter and hold .22 rounds) but arrow shafts should work too, as long as they are wide enough.  Be sure to plug one end, a nock would do well and serve as a visual reminder of which end up!

You'll need to get the speed loaders to hold eleven rounds, that's all.

Don't worry about reloading,  you'll have plenty of time for that.  What you should do, is make sure you can do it smoothly and safely.  Make sure the muzzle is pointed straight up when you load, and not cocked to an angle in any direction.

I'm from West Virginia, so I won't be there to see you on the line.  However, I'd like to thank you guys for firing Rich Rod anyways!

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Ol Kev

I haven't shot at an Appleseed yet either but I have been burning up the Internet trying to find out as much as I can about it. Hopefully there will be a range available here in Lubbock soon. I am really looking forward to this. I think I am even getting my wife hooked on the idea.

I have a Marlin 39A and I know they have been used on the line before. I just made a BUNCH of "speed loaders" out of straws from Burger King and McDonalds. They are the big bore straws. I took a hemostat and pinched one end and then melted it with a lighter to seal it. I will then use the foam ear plugs to cap off the other. I put 5 .22lr in there and cut it short enough from the last round that if I put six in, the last one would stick out. So, I should be able to get by with two per stage. The shells slide out pretty easily and will fit inside the magazine tube. With the end pinched off it won't go all the way in.

I found longer straws that would have held 10 rounds but they were not large enough in diameter. My other alternative was to spend $25 for a Spee-D-Loaderhttp://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=812768 They are out of stock NOW but accepting back orders at Midway. They come in multiple lengths with a 15 round at $19.

To specifically answer your question you need to review the course of fire:

The course of fire is as follows.

Stage #1 - 10 shots, in 2 minutes, from the standing position.  1 magazine is used assuming it will hold the required 10 rounds.  This target is scaled down from a 100 yard target.

Stage #2 - 10 shots, in 55 seconds.  You start in the standing position and transition to the sitting or kneeling position.  Two shots are fired at the left target and a magazine change is performed.  Three more shots are fired at the left target, then five shots at the right target.  This target is scaled down from a 200 yard target. (I don't know the procedure with a tube fed magazine)

Stage #3 - 10 shots, in 65 seconds.  You start in the standing position and transition to the prone position.  Two shots are fired at the left target and a magazine change is performed.  One more shot is fired at the left target, then three shots at the middle target, and finally fours shots are fired at the right target. This target is scaled down from a 300 yard target. (I don't know the procedure with a tube fed magazine here either)

Stage #4 -  10 shots, in 4 minutes. You start in the prone position with a 10 round magazine.  Two shots are fired at the left and adjacent targets, and three each on the remaining two targets.  This target is scaled down from a 400 yard target.  The points achieved on this stage are doubled when adding them into the total score for the AQT.

Hope this helps.
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Chrome

Quote from: Ol Kev on January 13, 2011, 01:34:52 AM
The course of fire is as follows.

Stage #1 - 10 shots, in 2 minutes, from the standing position.  1 magazine is used assuming it will hold the required 10 rounds.  This target is scaled down from a 100 yard target.

Stage #2 - 10 shots, in 55 seconds.  You start in the standing position and transition to the sitting or kneeling position.  Two shots are fired at the left target and a magazine change is performed.  Three more shots are fired at the left target, then five shots at the right target.  This target is scaled down from a 200 yard target. (I don't know the procedure with a tube fed magazine)

Stage #3 - 10 shots, in 65 seconds.  You start in the standing position and transition to the prone position.  Two shots are fired at the left target and a magazine change is performed.  One more shot is fired at the left target, then three shots at the middle target, and finally fours shots are fired at the right target. This target is scaled down from a 300 yard target. (I don't know the procedure with a tube fed magazine here either)

Stage #4 -  10 shots, in 4 minutes. You start in the prone position with a 10 round magazine.  Two shots are fired at the left and adjacent targets, and three each on the remaining two targets.  This target is scaled down from a 400 yard target.  The points achieved on this stage are doubled when adding them into the total score for the AQT.

Hope this helps.

For tube fed rifles, the "Load" command is broken down into two steps.  Step one is charging the tube with the correct number of rounds while the chamber flag is inserted and the bolt is back.  This actually occurs before the "Load" command is given.  The second step comes after the "Load" command, and that is locking the plunger tube into place and chambering a round.  For magazine changes, you will eject a round by hand to simulate the change.

The most important aspect of this is to listen to your Line Boss at the event.  They will detail exactly how you are to proceed.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Ol Kev

What about a lever action? Anything different there?
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

SamD

When briefing the tubers, make sure the rest of the line hears and understands what they are supposed to be doing.
It prevents the monkey see monkey do syndrome, otherwise you get a tube fed shooter loading and someone else thinks it's OK to load too.

The first few times, I make a point of reminding tubers to "do their thing".  They get  task saturated and forget sometimes, and it gives the rest of the line a warning that "something different" is going to happen here.

SamD

OlKev,
Few lever guns have a safety, that breaks the pattern for making a safe rifle.  I've has several really good folks use the M39 with success.  You have to break position to cycle it but that can be overcome if you are willing to work at it.
Likewise sling use can be more difficult that we might like
The M39 is too skinny to get a chamber flag in, and sometimes you can't trim one enough to get them in.
Smart SB's issue them a 6" length of big bore orange trimmer string to use instead.
All of the above apply to pump rifles too