News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Burro Canyon, Azusa, CA 18/19Dec10

Started by CSHR, December 20, 2010, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSHR

This one was interesting and challenging. The weatherman had a 70-80% chance of rain for the two days. Boy was he wrong.  ++)

It rained off and on, mostly on, for Sat, and Sunday it rained and poured all day.  :sos: and the temperature hovered around 50 degrees with the occasional wind chill factor,
definitely a SoCal Winterseed  ~~:)  ;D  **)  ^:)^

This range is up a canyon and the local forestry service notified them around 1100 on Sunday that they were having problems with landslides and keeping the road open and felt that the range should be emptied with plenty of daylight left in the day, consequently we were gone by 1400, cutting short our day in the drenching rain.  &)

This range is large, the people are good to work with, and it's nice place to shoot at although we were occasionally interrupted by class III firing on the next range. Whatcha gonna do?

Setup the first day was with newly designed target stands everyone pitched in to help with either their set up or the EZups we had to try and protect us a little from the rain. This class consisted of 3 returning students and 4 new ones, all of whom were attentive to the instructions and progressed rapidly in the marksmanship skills.

My thanks to (from left to right on the line) Rick, Wayne, David, Daniel, Melody, Rey & Roland. I would be delighted to have any of you back at any time. We became our own little community there, coming out in such weather, pitching in to help, staying through the cold and wet, and having such a great attitude towards the history, heritage and instructions.  ^:)^

Ninja LLP enjoying his death dealing 'girly' screwdriver (on loan from 22calgal)

I wonder if it'll rain?

Saturday's line

The line is wet, the line is wet  **)

Rain anyone?

Well OK then, have some rain

Some times it's nice/dry to be the Line Boss  ^:)^

Our little grass shack

Fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering

We now have lake view property  O0  and a boat ride to make it to the outhouse  ++)  **)

Can you say 'wind gust in front of the leading edge of a heavy downpour?'

And the inhabitants clear away the wreckage  :wb:

California liquid sunshine  **)  **)  ..:..

Determination  :bow:

And our Rifleman's score of 237, under 'hazardous' conditions, Congratulations Rick    :bow: ^:)^  O0

"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

passinthru

A rifleman perseveers.  I see LOTS of that there.............steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

TaosGlock

We could use some of that rain here in NM.

Great job guys!
That is what I like about Appleseeders, they don't quit no matter what.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

GasDoc

Thank you CSHR for the entertaining and descriptive post of this past weekend at Burro Canyon Appleseed.  I'm so glad you captured the great shots of this event and I hope your camera still works after being drenched in the rain.

I am always blown away at the dedication of our instructors like CSHR, V, Rocketman, LayloPro and Mr Pete.  They attend all these Appleseed weekends, sacrificing not only their time and energy but absorbing the cost of transporting all the necessary supplies and equipment in their own personal vehicles.  All the blood (how's your hand CSHR?), sweat and tears that they give is simply amazing and commendable.  Thank you to all the volunteers in the Appleseed Project throughout America.  I will do my part to spread "the word" to my friends and collegues and get them to experience an Appleseed event in the future.

And to my friend Wayne and fellow Appleseeders David, Daniel, Melody, Rey and Roland, you guys (and gal) are amazing.  You persevered despite the cold, torrential rain, soggy clothes and shoes. If we had more time and a few more AQTs I'm sure a few more would have qualified with a Rifleman score.  Keep on shootin'.  :~

Even after our "little grass shack" was completely blown apart, I could not believe David, Daniel and Roland assuming the prone shooting position in pouring rain with no shelter, on mats almost floating in the huge puddles just so they can complete the final Redcoat targets.  They wanted those Redcoats!!!  If this is any indication of our youth, we will be in good hands in the future.

Here are a few more photos of this weekend (attachment size permitting):

GasDoc

Here are a few more shots:

GumbyHead

Wow, you guys are manly men (and one lady's lady).  Hats off to you - but not until the storm breaks.  :bow:

Mr Pete

The Magnificent 7!

Seven showed up on Saturday and the same seven showed up on Sunday.  

I said it there and I'll say it again I saw the rifleman's heart in each and every person!

With terrible weather and a couple of near death experiences on the road to and from Burro Canyon (not just by me) it was hands down the craziest shoot I've experienced.

In weather that would weaken the knees of lesser folk I saw Rick shoot the highest score of any shoot I've attended!

With their targets melting in the rain and cover literally blown away Daniel, David and Ronald took to the Redcoats and acquitted themselves well.

As I've been taught to remember the 8 at Lexington I don't think I'll ever forget the 7 at Burro (Rick, Wayne, David, Daniel, Ray, Melody and Ronald).  I'd buy them a beverage anytime.

Some left over pics:
Looks like a beautiful day...

...if you're a frog

Kudos to CSHR for keeping it all together through no minor amount of adversity!

-Pete
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

LayloPro

Yeah.....if you like "liquid sunshine, Cali style", this shoot had it in spades...... :)) :o %)

Unfortunately, I had the range guys' come down to our range @ lunch Sat, to tell me I had an emergency @ home to deal with, so my time with the intrepid 7 was cut short, but they are certainly welcome @ any event I am at....we -will- help them find the combo for that magic 210+ score...... :bow: :~ O0

We (CSHR, Mr Pete & I) knew this was gonna be a solid group, simply by the fact that they showed up....not the "average, ordinary 'Murican" snoozing in bed, waiting to get up & hit the couch for the weekend.....I only hope we were able to give them some of what we offer to take home with them.....I believe they did..... O0

Nice shoot, all!! O0 O0 O0

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

GasDoc

More pics:

Wayne receiving helpful instructions from CSHR:  ~~:)  :bow:

Rick during the practice session:   :---

Target analysis:   :wb:  :sos:

View of targets from our "grass shack" before the rains...

Wayne listening to some history.  Targets in the background drip drying:

The coveted Rifleman patch and off the rack Marlin 795:  O0

One happy Appleseeder:   ^:)^  ^:)^

CSHR

GasDoc/Rick

Thanks for the pictures  ^:)^ they add a lot to the overall view.....great clarity from that camera!  My camera seems to be fine, the pics showed up and downloaded.

My fingers are fine today but unloading the car yesterday hurt  :'(  I spent about an hour pulling all the staples out of the backers...don't want to do that again  ++)

""I am always blown away at the dedication of our instructors like CSHR, V, Rocketman, LayloPro and Mr Pete.  They attend all these Appleseed weekends, sacrificing not only their time and energy but absorbing the cost of transporting all the necessary supplies and equipment in their own personal vehicles.  All the blood (how's your hand CSHR?), sweat and tears that they give is simply amazing and commendable.  Thank you to all the volunteers in the Appleseed Project throughout America.  I will do my part to spread "the word" to my friends and collegues and get them to experience an Appleseed event in the future.""

Thanks for the recognition and kind words.
I see it as- when you see something that is broken, 'you can sit down and cry about it, or you can actively participate in fixing it'. Understanding 'our' history and heritage is vitally important, remember George Santayana's quote, and what better way to do this than by getting out and instructing a time honored skill that reflects this heritage. And getting people to show up in the rain makes my day  **)  ^:)^ 

I'm tired of hearing 'it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too wet, it might get hot/cold/wet'  :wall:   :wb:  Spending your life complaining and worrying is a waste of this 'life' you've been given...LIVE IT and be excited and happy it happened. Revel in difficulties; you choose your feelings. Aaahhhhhh, I digress, again  :cool2:

Oh yeah, great shooting!!

Mr Pete,

Couldn't have done it without you  :bow:

CSHR

"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Rocket Man

Spectacular job, to all of you.

It ain't easy shooting a Rifleman score in the rain!  ... tho' it can be done.   ..:..

Happy Holidays to all.  See you out there next year.  Bring your friends!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

GasDoc

I'm sure many can relate...... ;D

(Novice thoughts running thru my head during an AQT)...
oh no, Stage 2...only 55 seconds... :o
epinephrine(adrenalin) dump...heart pounding...
load 2, sit quickly, bone on bone, cheek weld, turkey neck,  safety off...
darn my wet pancho smeared my scope lens...can't see... :wb:
sight picture, sight picture...is that an amoeba?  :D...no, no...redcoat...sight picture, respiratory pause... press the trigger, press, press, no wood.. aim small, aim small, press, trigger pull  :--- , follow thru...reset, BREATHE...
only 30 seconds remaining  :o  :( ...darn, another round... :---
mag change  :wall: ...respiratory pause...rifleman's cadence...darn.. forget the cadence  ;), fire  :---, reset, fire  :---, NPOA, NPOA... my shorts are wet  :-[  ???...squish...squish... press, press...10 seconds remaining and 5 more rounds to fire..I'm not goin' to make it  :sos:  :o  :D  ~~:) :~  :~...
ceasefire!! ceasefire!!...
I hope I hit something, praying  :bow:;D

GasDoc

Mr Pete,

I just wanted to say that your form during the demo of sling use, sitting and prone position appeared "spot on".  It was exactly the same positioning and handling that I remember when I first saw "V" demonstrating the same thing at my first AS in Burro Canyon in October. 

Quote from: Mr Pete on December 21, 2010, 04:26:10 AM
With terrible weather and a couple of near death experiences on the road to and from Burro Canyon (not just by me) it was hands down the craziest shoot I've experienced.
-Pete

I can attest to that.  On the way down the slippery canyon roads, a small boulder came tumbling down the steep roadside cliff and rolled rapidly in front of my vehicle.  Only seconds separated that piece of rock and the side of my vehicle.  It was close.  I could see Wayne and CSHR in my rear view mirror.  We all avoided the numerous rock slides and run-off on our descent, CSHR, being the last guy out, made sure everyone made it out of the canyons safely.

Rick

The rest of the photos are here for those interested:  http://profile.imageshack.us/user/gasdoc1

CSHR

GasDoc,

I had many a head turn as I sat giggling in the library while reading your post....yup, that's about how it goes, especially the ''my shorts are wet"  ;D  ;D  ;D

and the sight picture 'is that an amoeba'   **)
I've seen it many times, although mine often turned out to be a 'floater', and then my glasses slipped from the sweat, so I tilted my head to see and lost the cheek weld and came away thinking 'always the next time to do better'

asminuteman/Ken/G2

the shoot was posted with only MrPete and I for a long time, LayLo got called away early Sat, so MrPete and I scrambled a bit.

No sounding for brass, too busy. It opens at 0900 and closes at 1600 so the time monkey already has you...I'd called before and got in early and was just about finished with the line set up when most arrived.

I built a 'new' target stand since they don't have one there, brought in before by each SB. Worked well, but I have to re-drill the bolt holes- they became swollen in the rain and didn't come out easy. Also anyone (SB) who uses it will need a 'talk through' to set it up in a specific order to fit easily.

you did miss a great group of shooters though.

CSHR

phoneprone

sorry we had to pull laylo away... it was pretty important.

Looks like you guys did great regardless!
Nice job CSHR!!!

"you have to have the correct peanut butter to jelly ratio"
"If the RWVA rock band must start, it should start here"