News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka Twelve Ten!

Started by PHenry, December 19, 2010, 01:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

I arrived at the Rocky Creek Ranch late in PM on Saturday December, 11th. I was greeted by several instructors and some attendees already on site; however with just enough light left to set up my abode for the week, I was forced to keep the revelry to a minimum. George63 headed off to set up the 25M firing line - merely the first in a long list of tasks done with little or no suggestion on my part.

Our host, Chris Baden appeared as I was getting settled and offered me a hearty welcome. I had failed to make Chris aware that the event would begin on Sunday at 8:AM, and as such, he had not planned on providing any meal service until Sunday dinner. Undaunted, our accommodating host rustled up some excellent grub for all present and by 0630 the dining area was quiet beyond an occasional "mmmmm", as we all enjoyed Spanish Bean soup made by Chris' very talented mother, Sara Baden. After some quality time around the finest fire ring I have seen to date, we all headed for our bivies to get some rest before day one of the RBC.

We mustered for yet another meal our host had not planned for, or charged us for, at 0700. After breakfast, I gave the First Strike and after some discussion we moved to the 25M line for the safety briefing.
Day one offered us an excellent opp  to see how rifles behave in a sand storm, and how one's personal wind load affects trajectory more than the type of round fired. Not a single whimper came from the nine Americans on the line.

Day two offered us a chance to see what cold rain feels like, just in case anyone might have been unfamiliar with same or forgotten the experience. ItsanSKS arrived early, despite serving as SB for the St. Augustine event, some 4+ hours away. We worked on teaching the story inside the warmth and beauty of the RCR lodge and then headed out to the 25M line. I had carefully assessed everyone's character and found none to be lacking or in need of any added adversity, so we set up some 10x20 canopies to cover the firing line.

After some squares and practice AQTs, we began what would become a very familiar procedure. "I need a volunteer to intro stage x of the AQT!" And so begins the AQT grind. George63 tracked the scores on a board and all were kept "secret" until the end of the day.

I wish I could recall every meal, but suffice to say they were all excellent - especially the ones that Chris had planned on! The temp dropped to 22 degrees on the second night and thems in tents were afforded an excellent chance to build their character through some mild adversity. By breakfast on day three, it was easy to see how much they had all improved. How to tell the story part two and off to the 25M range!

By day 3, the rain had all but ceased, although the heavy cloud cover remained and light was predictably reduced - another great opp for all! We had all settled into a great groove by this point, although I was still calling Glen, AKA "Smoak", Gary. I think it was day 5 by the time I got it right!

Day four began with yet another fine meal and then out to the 25M line for a final AQT grind. Then after lunch, we began the advanced marksmanship course to better prep all for shooting Known Distance. After so much bumbling by the shoot boss, it's a wonder anyone learnt anything, but learn they did! Late in the day we returned to 25M for a final zero and then back to the lodge for dinner amidst the hand-hewn  timbers of the dining area.

Day five had us all on the KD range, situated in an area that the Badens had re-forested with pine trees. I will not waste any ink on describing it, as words would simply not convey the beauty and peacefulness of this place. As we had all zeroed the day prior, we began as 100 yards and worked our way back to 500 yards. I had failed to properly scout the layout in advance and this caused some consternation and delays, but thanks to a fine cadre and shooters, we got it done and much was learnt by all.

Day six was the Mock Appleseed and of course the weather was picture perfect, as there would be no shooting. Lady Liberty is so smart - she knows just we mere mortals need. I am clearly not up to Junior Birdman's level as a shoot boss, as I was unable to keep up with his masterful POI, but we got most of it covered prior to running out of light and finished up inside the lodge, working until 0730.
With all of the attendees as prepared as possible, we opened up the weekend event on Saturday to some truly challenging weather. While we veteran Appleseeders see this is as a plus, evidently this opinion is not shared in great numbers with the general population, as only two brave souls attended the event.

Jim and his son Nic braved the weather, partly because Nic is headed off to the service and needs to improve his marksmanship and partly because they are from NYC and we all know that them critters is half crazy anyway. All kidding aside - I wish there had been 20 more just like them as they brung a teachable attitude and were a pleasure to instruct.
By Sunday, despite all my best efforts to the contrary, all but a couple one attendee had scored Rifleman, and so after lunch all but that sole hold-out headed for the KD range for some added long distance trigger time, leaving the remaining shooters in the very capable hands of DrJohn.

Overcome with the excitement of it all, I committed the egregious sin of shooting KD myself and was able to do so, only because ItsanSKS took my place calling the line. Mea Cupla. What can I say - the smell of powder was too much for me to resist taking a crack at that D target.

What a great group of attendees!

•   Janet, who made rifleman on a 22, a CF rifle and finally on Monday, at full distance with a CF rifle. Her enthusiasm is infectious - her tearful hugs a blessing for all who received same.
•   Bruce, who shot Rifleman with three different rifles and a better group with my own rifle than I can shoot myself!
•   Smoak, who patiently put up with my calling him Gary for three days and scored 236 on the AQT.
•   Greg, who shot Rifleman before his dad did and without hesitation, offered his chair to a lady in need - a well reared young man I would be proud to call my own son
•   Evan, who while he looks harmless, can shoot groups with a .30 that will make a shoot boss smile
•   David, who has a memory like a dry sponge and a very teachable attitude - u are welcome on any line I run sir, preferably as an instructor!
•   Jim, who came down with a scorching cold, but rallied to finish out the week like a champ - hard to keep a good man down.
•   DrJohn, who brung his quiet demeanor and sharp eyes along with the sweetest dog I have ever met.
•   Rick, who kept us all in stitches around the campfire - Bam! Always a pleasure sir.

To the cadre, without whom I would have had zero chance of pulling this thing off:

•   ItsanSKS, my twin son of a different mother and the man I can always count upon to pick me up when I fall.
•   George63, who saved my bacon, driving all the way from IL and bringing everything I forgot.
•   Sear, who came from VA with excellent input and engagement
•   SpeedBump, who knows the way to a SB's heart (a fine cigar and an easy-going manner)

This event has served to show me the value of the RBC as a concept, and created ties that will be with me for a lifetime. I know that I speak for all of the instructors when I say that it was an honor to work and learn with each of you. Myakka Twelve Ten!
Merry Christmas to all and a healthy, prosperous New Year of successful Appleseeding!
PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

9mm4545

Well, I'll get it started with one word: outstanding! Despite a cold and windy start complete with blowing sand and below freezing temperatures at night, the RBC was supremely successful, producing 100% Rifleman results. I cannot say enough good about the facilities and the hard working hospitality of our host Chris Baden and the Rocky Creek Ranch. By the end of the week we truly felt like family and leaving for home was hard indeed. Our first few days were held at the 25 meter range (which actually offered up to 200 meters although we did not use it) and were a review of all that makes up the basic weekend Appleseed event, albeit at a slightly more relaxed pace. Before long everyone was getting dialed in and some impressive shooting was starting to happen. During our meal times in the luxurious lodge we explored the history of April 19, 1775 and learned to tell the true events of that fateful day. Having more time to delve into the people and events really enriched the impact and by the end of the week most, if not all, of us were feeling much more confident in our abilities to impart the meaning and emotions behind the story. Time around the fire ring at night served to further develop the camaraderie and cohesiveness of the group and within a couple of days we were functioning as a team with everyone pitching in to further the cause of fine marksmanship. Once we switched to center-fire rifles in preparation for the KD portion of the RBC, the excitement grew even more and we had not one, not two, but four (!) 500 yard ranges on which to practice our skills. The first day on KD was a long education filled  day as we learned all about trajectory, come-ups, ranging, wind drift and all the arcane minutia of long distance shooting. The exercise on target detection was eye opening as it confirmed the teaching that the hardest part is target detection. It is amazing how hard it is to see things that don't want to be seen. After my best attempt at shooting an actual distance AQT with a 55 year old M1 Garand (with which I had shot the score at 25 meters), I came to the realization that iron sights and my eyes are not a happy combination and that optics (gasp) are in my future. On the other hand, we did have several who did manage to earn their KD Rifleman scores and congratulations are certainly in order. I could go on and on but I will leave with this simple message: When there is another Appleseed event at Rocky Creek Ranch, DO NOT MISS IT! I can hardly wait for another RBC and will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Profound thanks to our instructors: Eric (ItsanSKS), Kevin (Sear), George (George63), Kevin (Speedbump), and finally Trey (pHenry). You guys rock! To all my fellow RBC attendees: Greg, Glen, David, Evan, Jim, Rick, John, and Janet; it was a pleasure meeting (or re-meeting) you, working and playing with you, and learning marksmanship and heritage with you. With folks like you around, I feel much, much better about the future of our beloved Republic. HUZZAH! MYAKKA TWELVE TEN! 
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

Boot Camp: A Woman's Perspective
From "Train Wreck"  :wb: to Rifleman  :---
If any student was ever classified as least likely to succeed, that would be me. Although proficient in pistols and an IDPA enthusiast, me and rifles were like oil and water to put it mildly. Right handed, left eye dominant, bifocals, a less than young, pliable, sapling like body, and a general ignorance of rifles were all significant hurdles to jump in reaching the coveted Rifleman status. My pistol proficiency certainly did not transfer at all to rifles, much to my surprise. The other part of the Appleseed program, American Heritage and civic responsibility, I had already fully embraced by constantly writing/faxing/calling congressmen, educating myself on current events, and participation in grassroots patriotic movements aimed at restoring our beloved constitutional republic.

Prior to Boot Camp, I had done exactly 1-1/2 Appleseed events. My first event was on April 19, 2010 in St Augustine, FL where synchronized commemorative volleys were fired at redcoat targets in honor of our fallen forefathers. Certainly it was difficult to see the redcoats through tears of appreciation for our forefather's extreme sacrifice and in spite of tears of frustration as a result of my personal extreme failure with a rifle. There was, however, NO doubt whatsoever in my mind that Appleseed Project was indeed a key to restoring our republic.

While my husband who had grown up with rifles attended another Appleseed event right away, earned his Rifleman patch, and went to an IBC, I did quite a bit of 7th stepping even though I had not mastered rifle marksmanship. To be honest, I was SO frustrated with myself, it took until we set up the first Appleseed event on our home range in Bunnell in November to even try marksmanship again. The instructors were again awesome, and I was, to borrow Eric's accurate description, a "train wreck". Martin had the patience of Job as he could see my refusal to give up, while both range buddies and instructors let me try all sorts of rifles to try to overcome my sight problems. Alas, it was not to be. I remained a "train wreck".

Fast forward to later in November at another Appleseed Event in St Augustine. My husband and I had encouraged a family from our grassroots group to attend. In particular, I especially wanted to help Cindy, a very determined patriot who is confined to a power chair, to experience Appleseed. While I myself was not a qualified instructor, I knew I could help safely ground her rifle, load magazines, and mark targets for her. To assist such a challenged, yet determined patriot was an unforgettable honor. Just to think, if those citizens who are still asleep on their sofas could muster even a fraction of her commitment how lady liberty would benefit!!! After watching Cindy, how could I say no to my husband's invitation to join him at Florida's first RBC?

My impression of the boot camp? Pure magic. The total immersion, structured instruction, and encouragement of fellow attendees allowed me to shoot a Rifleman score on a .22 rifle by the second day on the 25 yard range. Yet I still felt like such a klutz that I was concerned that my performance might have been something like the description of the redcoat line of fire: One shot in the target may be chance, two shots luck, but the third shot may just show some skill. O.K. I shot the rifleman score three more times in a row to prove that out. Wow, this was finally getting to be fun. I also thought of the commemorative Yottnotten Ranger Rifleman patch. Clearly, there was more to do in Madam Yottnotten's honor. Out came my new AR-15 which I had only previously ran less than a total of 2 dozen shots through. Could I really qualify with that at 25 yards? Yep. Through the boot camp program, there was time for yet another challenge: Known Distance. Thanks to all the excellent instruction, I did score 209 and "Rifleman" at the 100, 200, 300, 400 yard distance. Finally, a 4 MOA group was fired at 500 yards! Wow. This Appleseed stuff works!

A final hook was set. The last portion of the boot camp involved a traditional Appleseed 2 day event with new attendees arriving. A father had brought his son, who was joining the military, down from New York to really learn how to shoot a rifle and I was paired with the son on "Ball and Dummy". I thought a lot about this young man's service to his country and truly wished him to be safe as we started the exercise. What an honor to share with this young patriot! Later on that day, I discovered what all the Appleseed instructors already know when the young man's father thanked me for taking an interest in his son and for being able to effectively share some basics with him. This is a sobering, humbling, and rewarding experience. Well, hand me one of those ugly orange hats! While I lack the confidence of the public speaking instruction, I can do some good one-on-one, assist with administrative details, and I can continue to spread the word about Appleseed--but with much more enthusiasm.

That's my basic Appleseed story, but I would also like to share a few notes from a woman's perspective about boot camp specifics.
*First, the venue at Rocky Creek Ranch was quite special. A beautiful lodge with fireplace, excellent hospitality directed by our gracious host Chris, and wonderful food certainly raised the bar of "boot camp" experiences. Facilities ranged from private rooms with bath to tent or travel trailer camping. Obviously such exceptional fabulous facilities at Rocky Creek Ranch will make females smile. Also one of Chris' friends who owns a gun shop donated a Ruger 10-22 rifle to be awarded at the end of boot camp.
Tears from me again--this time of joy. I am most humbled to be chosen to receive the rifle as the attendee who made the most progress during the boot camp. George 63 added swivels and sling, scope mount rail,  and some other tricks to this rifle which will become a great loaner at future events. Not only is our host Chris really way over the top, but he has cool friends too! And George 63 himself is certainly no slouch as he obviously has a heart of gold. Thanks, guys!
*Second, I am not sure I have enough time left in my life to have made the rifleman scores any way other than boot camp. The learning curve is vastly accelerated by total immersion. Encouragement is off the chart between increased exposure to excellent instructors and sincere encouragement from attendees who have become lifelong friends. Although I was the only female attendee, it certainly was not a problem and I would have no reservation in encouraging other women to attend boot camp.
*Third, the somewhat slower pace of the boot camp I found far more appealing and conducive to learning than the two day frantic, military flavored, fire hose approach.
Following up the groveling in the dirt with occasional rain, cold, and sand blasts to shoot with a pleasant dinner and cheerful group campfire fun was a great way to unwind and refresh for the next day of education. Getting to know other attendees around that fire certainly led to very effective group encouragement and support for all facets of the program.
* Fourth, remember the old saying, "When mama's not happy, nobody's happy"? It's also true that when mama is happy, she has a way of encouraging the whole family to join in the fun. This can also apply to Appleseed events. Want more riflemen? Include mamas. A boot camp event is a great opportunity for the family to spend quality time together while improving marksmanship and knowledge of history.
*I would rather have seen the mock Appleseed event time traded in for more KD time.  Spending time in mock Appleseed before having much "real rifle" (centerfire) experience and understanding was not helpful as I personally lacked the confidence that shooting with a "real rifle" brings. Serious consideration of a path toward being a red hat  instructor was therefore not a natural progression for my female brain.  On the other hand, having actual access to real 400 and 500 yard distances certainly is not easy to come by and capitalizing on that rare opportunity seemed a better use of time. The mock Appleseed seems far more appropriate for the IBC. I was most fortunate to arrange to stay over one extra day which allowed for actual AQT Rifleman scores at known distances plus the 500 yards.

In consideration of the boot camp as a whole, it certainly rates up at the top of my lifetime experiences. Going from complete "train wreck"  to Rifleman qualification with a real centerfire rifle up to 500 yards in nine days is amazing. Thanks so much especially to Trey and Eric who gave up more than a week of their lives to make this happen even though they also donate most weekends to the project. More special thanks to Kevin who drove from Virginia, and George who drove from Illinois--trips which added up to more than a week out of their lives as well. I am truly honored to know such fine patriots. Myakka 12/10!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

ItsanSKS

Words are simply insufficient to the task of relating this past weeks' events.   As I am left with no other alternative, you must accept the fact that to really get a feel of this event, you would have had to been there.  Though we all arrived as individuals, some having met a few times at best, we all left as true friends. 

I arrived on Monday morning to witness a sight that has become all too familiar- PHenry talking.  This was no ordinary fire-side chat, however.  PHenry meant business, and you could feel it in the air.  Matter at hand?  How to teach the story.  Learning some of the finer details that are, more often than not, left out of the actual telling.  Everyone, to my amazement, was deeply engrossed, with barely even an acknowledgment that I had arrived.  As I partook of the wonderful breakfast provided by our host, I merely listened to the spirited discussion going on around me.  I was frankly amazed that so many of our students already had a fairly firm grasp on the history of April 19th, 1775. 

Once we headed to the range, PHenry made sure that it was all-business.  He appointed me as Line Boss, thus assuring that there would be no wasted second on the line.  Students took aim at the RedCoat target, a foe that they would become intimately familiar with throughout the week.  As the rounds went down range, I could already tell that this would be a great group of students- they were already firing in cadence!  An about-even mix of centerfire and 22lr reports ensured that every living thing in the vast wilderness surrounding us knew we were there, learning one of the finest traditions Americans have to offer: Becoming an American Rifleman.

Towards mid-day, our host made a visit to the range, just to ensure that all was well, and to deliver HOT COFFEE!  WHAT A GUY!  Did I mention that temps were on the south side of 50*?  While that doesn't sound especially cold, even as I write it, "its a wet cold; the kind of cold that saps the strength right out of you, and causes even the most frost-bitten soul to start shivering" 

As the week progressed, so too did our students' abilities.  Having such a high student:Instructor ratio insured that everyone's issues were corrected promptly.  As early as Tuesday, the instructors *knew* that everyone would make it. Every night we would discuss with students the things that were holding them back; be it equipment issues, eyesight, or just the weather.  Looking at the scores, one could see the rapid advancement, and it would be no time at all before everyone had made the grade.   

Wednesday morning found us mustering again at the 25m range, anxious to steam roll the students into scoring 'the score'.  The weather was fantastic, though it still seemed a bit chilly by Florida standards.   Rifleman scores started rolling in.  If we could cut & paste AQT stages, everyone would have had it  within the first two hours of shooting...  As the day pressed on, the determination could be felt in the air.  By lunchtime, finally, we could say it.  Everyone in attendance has made Rifleman!  Once that was out of the way, we announced that the 25m portion of our RBC was complete.  Thursday would bring the KD range, and .22lr need not apply, as this was a 500 yard range, and we planned on making full use of it!  Centerfires came out, 25m zeroes established (and written down) and even a few 25m AQT's were shot, just to get a feel for those 'real rifles'. 

Thursday arrived with much anticipation, and great weather, too!  As our students lined up at 100 yards, some looks of incredulity could be seen.  "You want us to hit a 4 inch target at 100 yards?  Are you nuts?"  As they got into position, however, that tiny 4in. square started to look familiar- almost too familiar.  "4 MOA Square, my nemesis.  I am not the doofus americanus I was when first we met- I am Rifleman, you shall not withstand the first volley!" 

As the shots rang out in the early morning mist, I reflected on how far some of our students had come; Bruce, who had previously shot Rifleman in Silver Springs, had since come into his own as a rifle shooter- his groups could be covered with a dime at 25m, and weren't much bigger at 100yds.  His wife, 'Rambo Granny' I first met in Silver Springs, where, to be honest, I didn't hold out much hope.  She was plagued by rifle fitment issues, eyesight issues, and a general unfamiliarity with firearms- each problem, in and of itself, could be conquered in a two-day event; put them all together, and add summertime Florida heat to the equation, and you have a recipe for disaster.  At the outset of the RBC, I was astonished to find that she had worked out the kinks in her position (with some gentle coaching from her in-house instructor, no doubt) and had also had a rifle made to suit her.  Glen, David and Evan were all well familiar- I had met them at the April 19th event earlier this year in St. Augustine, where they had been soundly humiliated by David's daughter, who was the only one of the bunch to score Rifleman.  These three were here with a purpose- they had their reputations to uphold!  While each of you may have done very well, I would be willing to bet that if Katy had been here, she would have out shot all three.

My reminiscing cut short by the timer in my hand, I called out "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!" and cleared the line.  Time to go see what kind of groups these Riflemen (and RifleWOMAN) had brought with them from the 25m line.  At first, some of our students were horrified- these groups were HUGE- I mean, they were almost 5" across! A quick refresher on IMC, and it dawned on them- those groups were 3-4 MOA; the same size as they had at 25m! 

Sights adjusted, and a second sighter group to verify 100m zeroes, and off to the 200m line, to repeat the process.  On and on it went, with hardly a moment to waste.  Once we had achieved zeroes for the various distances, it was time for the final exam-  One FULL DISTANCE AQT, coming right up! 

As the sun began to fade, the students started tabulating their scores.  A few had made the grade, some did not, but all who didn't were darn close.  If only that mag hadn't gotten stuck, that last round chambered, or the wind suddenly changed direction at 400... 

Since we were already at 400yds, and the 500yd line was on the way back to the lodge, it was decided that everyone should get a chance to prove themselves at the "Riflemans Quarter Mile".  A distance that makes that humongous "D" target fade into a nearly indiscernible blob.   Fellow Appleseeders, I am glad to report, those targets didn't stand a chance!  Each of our students made consistent hits at 500 yards; a distance that many had never even attempted before.   As we approached the targets to inspect for hits, DrJohn shouted in joy, followed shortly by Janet- both had laid down some impressive groups at this distance, well within 2 MOA, centered around that "V" ring.   Among the group, there were, by far, more hits than misses, and the vast majority of hits were solidly in the black.  Impressive shooting, from folks that, not four days previous, could barely hit the broad side of a barn, from the inside. 

Friday found us being mocked by Mother Nature.  She *knew* that we intended to teach our students how to teach others, and she saved the best weather of the week for that particular day.   Sun shining over head, birds chirping in the trees, and our students doing their level best to present all the information that they had only recently been taught themselves.   A wondrous day, but every last minute of sunlight was utilized, and then some; each student practiced how to teach the basic field positions, NPOA, Riflemans Cadence, and also learned how to properly clear the line, and perhaps most importantly, how to diagnose and correct fundamental shooting errors.  Each brought their own something to this aspect of our RBC, and I could tell right off that, with practice, all of them would make outstanding instructors.  I sincerely hope that each of them will take up the Orange Hat, as we could certainly use them on the line!

This past week will be with me for a long, long time.  I look forward to seeing you all again soon, and hope that you will come back to our next Rocky Creek Ranch RBC.  We are hashing out the details now, but it looks like the next one will be both bigger, and better!  Start penciling in your calendars for October 16-23, 2011.

MYAKKA, 12/10!    HUZZAAHH!

Pictures coming soon!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

colycat

Outstanding, just Outstanding!!!!  These reports are the best I have ever seen from a RBC.

The Florida crew rules,  and you too, George 63.  Wow what a week you all had.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

smoakingun

Where to begin? To start, our host, Chris, turned out to be the most gracious host imaginable. He made us feel like part of his own family, and took pretty good care of us to boot.

Before this event I had attended just one appleseed. When I found out about the rbc, I had expected it to be just an elongated weekend, but what we experienced was much more. The rbc was an experience that was more than the sum of its parts. Marksmanship, history, heritage, comradery, and shared hardship came together to create an experience that will not be forgotten.

The facilities were stellar. I'm not a camper, but my son and I camped for this event, and I can't recall any point in theis experience where I was uncomfortable. The campground featured porta johns, open air showers (while I am sure in summer, this is an asset O0), the coolest fire pit ever, and a large covered area that became THE gathering place for rifle cleaning, story telling, and on one night, became the cracker seafood buffet, featuring fried mullet, smoked mullet, crab legs, hushpuppies, and grits.

When I first signed us up for this adventure, I had planned on bringing my own food. When I called to confirm our space at rocky creek, Chris informed me that the meal plan was not optional for campers. At first the additional expense was a little concerning, but Chris explained that in his opinion, all of us eating around one table at each meal would add to the comradery, and I have to say, he was right. Not having to prepare meals and clean up after was extremely convient, and just sitting around a table getting to know everyone else was very rewarding.

The first days pace was surprisingly relaxed, hardly a bootcamp feel at all, but on monday morning there was a new face at the breakfast table, and with itsansks in the drivers seat, that old familiar boot camp feeling was there ~~:) Day three was probably the most challenging wind stirred up thas sand, which found its way into the rifles and every bodily oriface one can imagine. By day four, Wensday, every one seemed to be finding the groove, and by the end of the day, everyone but me had shot rifleman. Day five we the day we left the rimfires in the truck and brought out the centers. It was on this day that I learned where my npoa actually was. My garand was all to happy to put me into a proper shooting position. On day six I was surprised at how effective this course was. During the mock applesed the students became the instructors, and I have to say I was not looking forward to this, and I don't think I was alone. Tension was high, but at the end of the day, while I don't think most of us could run a whole event, we found that we would have something to bring to the table at an event.

All in all, the event was a great success, in my opinion, we laughed, learned, and most of all shared some of our countries greatest traditions
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

ItsanSKS

I would be completely remiss if I neglected to thank our hosts, the Baden Family, and their wonderful troop of friends who all came out to help. 

Every day we Appleseeders got to meet new people, all of whom gave hearty handshakes.  These folks know how to pile on the good stuff! 

Many local business owners volunteered time, donated to the cause, or both. 

While I don't have the space to thank each of you, please know that we fully appreciate the time and effort that you all put into this, and you have our sincerest thanks. 

To whomever masterminded the tier misu- that was simply fantastic!

A tremendous thanks to Pat Flynn, of Bullet Blasters, who donated brand-new All-Weather Ruger 10/22 - truly the right rifle for an Appleseed LTR! 

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

PHenry

I'll second ItsanSKS' kudos to the all-volunteer KP. From Greg's wit and humor, to neighbor Bob's smoked mullet, and so many others - they all did a bang-up job for sure. Chris couldn't have done it without them. As it was, he had very little spare time and even less sleep!

Chris has some great friends.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ridefun2

Wow.  I had a great time at the RBC.  My shooting improved rapidly over the week, and it was wonderful to here details and discussions of April 19, 1775 around the fire and the dinner table.

I'll get started with the pictures:

For those of you with Facebook, Chris has some pictures posted on the Rocky Creek Ranch page: http://www.facebook.com/rockycreekranch

Here are some more.  Sorry about the quality, it was a cheap camera.  http://cid-09308724b579bf43.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/12-2010%20RBC
Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry

iloveliberty

rambo granny: you said it well. i myself,was discouraged by the "two day frantic, military flavored, fire hose approach."  i am hoping to one day attend a bootcamp event, and i will not stop sharing the word about this wonderful organization called Appleseed.
"Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." John Quincy Adams

9mm4545

Here are a few photos from the RBC in no particular order or significance...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

George63

yes there was D targets down there by the horizon

ridefun2

Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry

Junior Birdman

Sorry guys, but I've been "sans internet" since the move and have missed out on the fresh AAR. I'm late, but now add my hearty "HUZZAH!!!!!"

Well done, one and all!  Thanks for the efforts and results!  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass