News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Hinckley, MN - Dec. 11-12, 2010

Started by AFTERMATH, December 13, 2010, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

O'Ha!

Where to begin?

It was Friday morning when our sanity began to come into question.
As the winter weather and blizzard warnings began to broadcast, the questions turned into inquisitions.
They begged and pleaded; proposing that it will not be a lesson in marksmanship, but rather a lesson in survival.
With a test none of us wanted to fail.
For me there was no question.  We had an Appleseed on the schedule, and I wasn't about to cancel!
Spending the weekend outside in a winter storm, isn't easy by no means.  But to keep things in perspective, Valley Forge certainly wasn't the highlight of the Continental Army's campaign!  At least we had coats, and boots, and hot coffee!

DewDrinker was our brave shooter, and was as determined to score Rifleman as Adamt was to make him a Rifleman.
Instruction was given in our makeshift shelter, which we managed to keep at about 15 degrees F, all day Saturday.
Then back to the line to clear ice and snow from the rifle and sights, then back inside to thaw and learn.
Extreme cold weather produces many issues for a would be Rifleman to over come.  All the layers make it difficult to get in position.  Gloves if thick enough to fit in the trigger guard; are not anywhere near the required bulk to prevent your fingers from freezing.  Wind coming directly from the target line offers no opportunity to break the windchill factor....  And facial coverings slip on the stock preventing a good cheek weld.
Persevere through all of that, and you find yourself dealing with equipment issues.  Magazines freezing up, FTF's, FTE's, double feeds.  Sunday was so cold, the trigger return spring began to fail, and even resetting the trigger became a manual task.

DewDrinker showed an amazing level of persistence, and though he didn't quite make Rifleman, this time.  He showed he definitely has the heart of a Rifleman.  Given a more hospitable environment; I'm quite sure he'd have have made it this weekend.  In light of the circumstances; I'm of the opinion that a 190 is quite an accomplishment. 
Your chance will come, my friend!

Adam, thanks for braving the long drive up to Hinckley!
And to DewDrinker for coming down from Duluth!

To those that could not make it as a result of the weather; it is most understandable.
Hinckley should be back on the schedule in March, and keep an eye peeled for a possible Duluth event in February;
I hope to see you there!

Still frozen,

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Greg in MO

Aftermath...

You guys definitely have my respect.  After seeing what happened to the Metrodome, that was a heck of a storm to be shooting in.  Our forefathers would indeed be proud!

You Minnesotans are made of impressive stuff (which I think is white and frozen)...

Greg

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Greg in MO on December 13, 2010, 10:16:50 PM
Aftermath...

You guys definitely have my respect.  After seeing what happened to the Metrodome, that was a heck of a storm to be shooting in.  Our forefathers would indeed be proud!

You Minnesotans are made of impressive stuff (which I think is white and frozen)...

Greg

Well thanks, but to tell you the truth; this weekend was easy...
It was convincing everyone that we weren't crazy that was the difficult part. #)

Adam will have some pictures up...  If he can defrost his phone...

I have indeed been convinced, however, that I need a sleeping bag that's rated better than 40 degrees.

Alex
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

adamt

I suppose the saga began for me on Saturday at 6:30A.M. I had to dig my car out of the 8 inches of snow Minnesota had graced me with overnight. The Drive to Hinckley that would normally take just over an hour lasted just under 2. After arrival at the range and some cold weather setup the Blizzardseed began.

A Picture of DewDrinker eagerly returning from the line..

With 5 degree temps, 20MPH gusts the coverings for the rifle would not stay in place..

As a side note, after returning home to clean and service the rifle I had noticed the take down screw was loose. DewDrinker with a high of 190 was thwarted from his Winterseed patch by faulty equipment and not the weather. I would like to offer a salute to him as he truly does posses the qualities of a rifleman as he did not once waver.

As to the bitterly cold night, unlike AFTERMATH I had acquired a Korea issue cold weather sleeping bag (on Friday) so the night was.... cold.

We must have burned through 4 or 5 small tanks of propane cooking water, coffee and soup. We also used up 1 20lb tank with a sunflower heater. Alas The weekend came to a close, our soles were warm, spirits high, fingers and toes cold. I was back off to minneapolis to dig out my wife's car and the garage.

To anyone that is thinking of attending a Winterseed, please do. Come prepared, come often, and bring a friend.

AdamT.

P.S. here is the runner up for the Winterseed patch..

"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

Old Glory!

Oh MERCIE!   :o

GreginMo is right....but respect may not fully describe it.   :bow:
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Taylor

An awesome display of persistence and dedication that 99.99999999% of America (yours truly included) would be incapable of.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

AFTERMATH

QuoteAs a side note, after returning home to clean and service the rifle I had noticed the take down screw was loose. DewDrinker with a high of 190 was thwarted from his Winterseed patch by faulty equipment and not the weather. I would like to offer a salute to him as he truly does posses the qualities of a rifleman as he did not once waver.

I even checked that, too...  Must have been frozen up in between strings... ::)
But that would definately explain why the targets showed more movement than I saw in his position.
You live you learn, right?

By the way; that frozen patch...
While it looks like slush; that's really solid ice.
And is the result of water spilt on it - INSIDE our shelter!  Froze on contact!

On another note - sunflower heaters:  Worthless!  375 square feet?  Yeah, right!  Fifteen foot radius of heat?  Yeah sure!
Only served as a moral boost.  It only produced about a twenty-four inch bubble of twenty degree warmth.
Forced air!

Even the Mini-Mags weren't up to the challenge!

DewDrinker

Well needless to say i had a lot of fun. If given the choice to do it again, I wouldn't even hesitate to say yes to Adam again.  Cant wait for the next one. at this point I don't think anything can stop me bring it on ?

colycat

Now I know of what stuff I am made of.  Cotton Candy.  OG and me had to suffer thru all that sun and 80's in Buckeye AZ, while the real riflemen were getting it done in MN.

You guys are nuts,  I would have bailed soo fast on last weekend, it would make your head spin.

I love the reports, though.  Alex, you are really something.         (good)

Coly, the wimp
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

SavageShootr

Congratulations on getting through the weekend.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Blue Five

I'm not sure rather to congratulate you all or recommend a mental health professional  ;D

I think I'll go with congratulations on surviving the weekend!

I guarantee that I wouldn't have been able to do it, nor wanted to do it.

You guys are braver than I am, nice work  O0

B5
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sparks1

Quote from: DewDrinker on December 15, 2010, 12:14:24 AM
Well needless to say i had a lot of fun. If given the choice to do it again, I wouldn't even hesitate to say yes to Adam again.  Cant wait for the next one. at this point I don't think anything can stop me bring it on ?

Like you could say no to Adam
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

DewDrinker

Quote from: sparks1 on December 16, 2010, 12:08:41 AM
Quote from: DewDrinker on December 15, 2010, 12:14:24 AM

Like you could say no to Adam

no comment ?haha ....

adamt

DewDrinker I just noticed that that picture in your avatar was from last year. No chicken wing..... &)

There is something about us Minnesotans shooting in the winter. I suppose when you have snow 9 months out of the year it's kinda like our summer.

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

DewDrinker

well our winter's are longer. yea actually i think that picture was longer than that ago. like when you first bought the AR.

AFTERMATH

If we were to chicken out on Winterseeds; we'd only have July and August.  Off the top of my head; those are the only months I've never seen snow and/or temps below 40.
That would drastically inhibbit our Appleseed progress!

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 13, 2010, 09:26:58 PM
As the winter weather and blizzard warnings began to broadcast, the questions turned into inquisitions.
They begged and pleaded; proposing that it will not be a lesson in marksmanship, but rather a lesson in survival.
With a test none of us wanted to fail.

Yes, it seems like it was a survival test. I'm glad you guys passed that test and came out OK!

I saw the message before the event that two shooters were registered. As I looked out at the snow that Saturday, I wondered if you guys were really up there at the range, shooting in that blizzard! It was probably hard even to dig your way out of the range driveway after all the snowplows came by on the highway all day. Then the wind chill on Sunday was pretty severe.

As a mom myself, I think your moms were probably very concerned about you guys. Is that where some of the "inquisitions" were coming from?  ;)

I visited Valley Forge about 25 years ago, looked at the log huts (small!), and thought about what it must have been like that winter. That area of the country does have milder winters than we do in Minnesota. Here is some information about the actual weather they experienced that winter: http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/history/weather.html

Didn't you guys say that the gun-confiscating attempts of the British started in the spring because, "no one could do anything in the winter?" We have better technology now for winter clothes (polypropylene etc.), but it sounds like the rifles don't do too well when it's below zero. So maybe that's going to make it hard for anyone to get a rifleman patch at a Minnesota Winterseed.

I admire your courage and determination, though, to actually keep going all of that weekend!

Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 13, 2010, 10:35:09 PM
I have indeed been convinced, however, that I need a sleeping bag that's rated better than 40 degrees.
Alex

You didn't actually camp out there with a 40 degree bag, did you? You could add a zero-degree-rated bag inside the 40-degree-bag and put a space blanket or two in there with you, too. I'm glad you didn't freeze!
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Cooper

Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 13, 2010, 10:35:09 PM

Alex

Hey, Alex !!

I have a Christmas present for you, whenever we can make a connection....
I'll bet you'll never guess what it is !    ^-^

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim