News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How did you choose your Appleseed username?

Started by Son of Isaac, December 13, 2010, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

How did I choose my screen name? Therein lies a tale... come, draw up a rock to the fire and I'll tell you.

For about the last 30 years my nickname has been Dwarf - I'm short, stocky, bearded, I work in metal (or did back then - I was a machinist) and my shop was underground. Fast forward some years, when email is becoming common... and so is spam. Dwarf is a nice short word... and the spammers were using "dictionary" searches; IE; sending their cursed missives to [every_word_in_the_dictionary]@majorISPs.com. So I was getting more than my fair share of it. Well... a friend of mine had the habit of starting off phone calls to me by saying "Hi, O dwarven one!"... and back then, putting a number in an email address was a good way to avoid the dreaded spam monster.

So Dwarven1 I am. And please... the "1" is NOT silent!!! But I also answer to "Dwarf", too. (Not like Snow White's seven companions - think the kind of mountain Dwarves who crafted Thor's Hammer, Mjolnir)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Castle Mountain

Quote from: V on December 14, 2010, 04:33:16 PM
Try googling or datamining for a letter of the alphabet... :)

When Appleseed came knocking I was in my dark gloomy mood of hiding and keeping a low profile, a gray man.

So many great quotes for liberty in V for Vendetta so it seemed a good fit.

Appleseed has changed me. I wouldn't choose it now. We mustn't hide, stand up, fight the good fight.

The more I found out about him the more my hero is Samuel Whittemore, there are some parallels with my own life story. But I will never be fit to bear that name or anything derived from it so I'll stick with V.

Verily, this vichysousse of verbiage doth veer most verbose...

Cheers
V

So what you are saying is that aggravating verbosity introduces a non-facilitative environment for Appleseeding? ^:)^

Cheers,

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

bravo2uniform

BlackSheep

A play on my family name....
My dad named his boat "Golden Fleece" and the dinghy was "Jason"
Growing up my brother's nick name was "Stew"
My nickname was Ba Ba

BlackSheep
A well armed Lamb!   :---
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Benjamin Franklin

DGMilty

Combination of first, middle, last initial plus nickname at previous employer.  Try to use this on all forums! ..:..
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

LawDog

It's actually my wife's name.  She signed us up on a gun-related website long ago and selected that as our user name.  I have kept using it so I don't have to remember others. 

Puma Mami

It's sort of like a "Mama Bear" idea. But I like cats quite a bit, and pumas are the largest of the "small cats." They can actually purr, unlike lions, etc. and they keep their cubs with them for a fairly long time to help them and teach them. If I had a "spirit animal" it would be a puma.

In the original language "puma" came from it means "strong." With my youngest having special needs, and doing homeschooling to keep him out of an "EBD" center at a public school (where his behavior would be managed--maybe--but he would not get a real education), I have to use a lot of strength on many levels to get through each day!  :o

Then "mami" is the Spanish for "mommy" and it's pronounced the same. We have a smidgen of Spanish heritage from Spain way back (mostly Irish Catholic and English Protestant--yep, those two sides of my family don't get along ;) ). I don't speak Spanish (maybe someday). I used to dance a lot of salsa before my youngest was born. So that was an inspiration for using a Spanish type of name.

Dancing salsa would have probably kept me thinner if I had kept it up. As it is now, I look more like Puss in Boots from the Shrek movie where he is pretty heavy than a sleek puma. :D  Participating in Appleseed and taking up hunting turkeys, deer, etc. with my older son is inspiring me to work on my fitness! So maybe I'll be sleek once again some day.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Uncle Davey

I chose mine in honor of my favorite hero of WWII, Shifty Powers of Easy Company, 101st Airborne
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Dinky Dao

I'm glad this thread has been revived. Reading it had been completely enjoyable.  ;D :D ;D

@)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Baminal

Came from my high school football coach.

BAM are my initials, merged with 'animal' for my apparently less than gentle approach to the noseguard/middle linebacker position.

C-ya on the trail
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

Wheeler44

I prefer bolt action rifles, pump shotguns and revolvers, hence Wheeler (plus it's a family name) I'll let ya guess what caliber of revolver I liked when I picked my name.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Gramma Goats

Okay I will  jump in .   I had no idea people GAVE you your 'name'.  I logged onto the AS forum after my first AS  (haha i had so much equipment trouble i am sure they thought i would NEVER be back)   and I needed a name. 

I have raised goats for , well let's say a L O N G time.  One day my oldest granddaughter was trying to get my attention at a goat show.. (she called her 'other' gramma  . .  gramma cats (you can figure that one out) i guess at home she called me gramma goats to make a distinction.  So at the goat show, Morgan, trying to get my attention and not having any luck, yells out as load as only a three year old can  "GRAMMA GOATS".  Well i 'knew' that voice and the name was out of the bag... i have been Gramma Goats to the special kiddies in my life ever since.

I had the avatar designed as the logo on a website  'TheGrinningGoat' that i had ,  so since i had the handle and the custom avatar . . .  let's just say . . It worked for me.   Now i find many of my AS friends just call me GG (i like that just fine).

Gg
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Wheeler44

GG...Is it possible that I saw your daughter at a shoot in Wyoming in the fall of '08 by any chance? If so, did she ever make rifleman?

W44

"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Gumballhead

I don't think I ever answered this here...

OnlyHitsCount

I'm not very fond of my username.  This is something that an instructor I was fond of would always say, and when I signed up in a hurry I didn't figure I'd be sticking around here anyhow.   ::)  Thought about changing it but (a few) friends already knew me as

OnlyHitsCount.
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

starfox

Got my nick "Starfox" back in the days of the dialup chat channels / BBSes.  You know in those days when you had to put a phone on a cradle to get to the InnerTubes. 

Has NOTHING to do with that infernal Nintendo game Starfox.   ~~:)

And the ever inventive "alonso1" should quit giggling at my handle.  :)
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

B9

Mine was on here. Don't know where it went.

Original was B964. Part number for a cotter pin on a manure spreader.
I work in the parts business. One small insignificant cotter pin can either make or break a complex machine and sometimes a machine can go on just fine without it.

Now is B9.
Still has the same meaning to me but adds in "benign". A medical term used to describe a condition that is harmless. It also brings in that I am a pacifist.
A well armed and well instructed pacifist with a very short temper.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Nickle

Mine is my DeadHorse MC biker name, and the story is something to hear in person.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

GoldFish

Quote from: Dinky Dao on April 21, 2011, 11:49:45 PM
I'm glad this thread has been revived. Reading it had been completely enjoyable.  ;D :D ;D

@)

So, Dinks, why don't you tell us how you got your nickname? &)
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Cooper

Quote from: GoldFish on April 22, 2011, 05:36:26 PM
So, Dinks, why don't you tell us how you got your nickname. &)

Hmmm... I suspect it has something to do with a phrase I heard a number of times 3 decades ago in the 'Yard house:   "You dinki dai, trusong Coopta, dinki dai! But you still numba one!"

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Kosciusko

It was late at night and I was in a hurry, couldn't think of anything witty or clever. 

So, originally, my forum name was kmk,   my initials.

"Kosciusko" popped into my head for a moment, but  I thought it might be considered pretentious.

My ancestors escaped Europe and  came here in 1883.   I'm 100%   Kashubian/Polish on both sides. 

Had my parents owned  a home 2 miles east,  I would have been a K-6 student at  Washington-Kosciuszko Elementary School.

After attending a few more Appleseeds and wandering about the RWVA site, I got a better feel for things, so I changed my forum name  to honor this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosciusko

In the opinions section:

Napoleon Bonaparte called Kosciuszko: "the hero of the North."

Thomas Jefferson called him: "as pure a son of liberty as I have ever known."

French historian Jules Michelet called him "the last knight."

Jewish Cavalry Leader Berek Joselewicz called Kosciuszko "a messenger from God Almighty."

Lord Byron: "That sound that crashes in the tyrant's ear - Kosciuszko!"

Catherine the Great called him "a beast."

Mikael Dziewanowski claims he was a "pioneer of emancipation and a spokesman for racial democracy and justice in eighteenth-century America."

////

Out of curiosity, how many of you have ever heard of him before?     Cooper and vmt193 would make  two.

KuRRDoGG

Picked up the name in college.  Some guys in the forestry summer classes noticed my blind eye was a way different color than may good eye.  In Louisiana there is a dog called the Catahoula Cur, so they all started calling me Cur Dog.  I rearranged the letters to make it as orignal looking as possible.  I have since had my bad eye removed and replaced with a prosthetic but the name has stuck.

Ramblin' Wreck

Mine is not very imaginative but I earned it by cramming 4 years worth of undergraduate work into 10 years at Georgia TECH.  I was surprised when I entered it and it wasn't already taken as it usually is when I try to use it on a forum.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Spanner

I chose my name back in 1997 or so, when I started playing online computer games.  I played Real Time Strategy games like Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires.  These are games with a large economic component:  you must find, utilize, and control resources that are scattered over the map (gold, lumber, oil etc.) and build up your economy and military.  I was good at expanding quickly and covering a large portion of the map.  Borrowing a term used frequently in computational quantum chemistry (my area of research) and mathematics,  "span", it was only natural to strike fear into the hearts of my online opponents by advertizing myself as Spanner (one who spans).

Hence the avatar of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the text ".. cover the continent .."

So don't believe those that would tell you that "cover the continent" really means "impregnate the chaste".   **)
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

George Hacker

"Shadowman" is the name of the logo for the company I work for.

Perhaps I'll take on an orange hat and have it upgraded in time to a "Red Hat".  ;)

- George (aka ShadowMan)

Just an update: As you can tell from my status I've taken the orange hat.  Red hat, here I come.
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Roland

Heh. Not very many get mine. Roland is the character from Stephen King's Dark tower series. He is the gunslinger. I thought it was a cool name.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

k209

I chose my name because I shot a 209 and had it hang over my head till the September shoot in taccoa shoot where I shot a 219 and followed it up with a 210 in the same day I decided to take the orange hat to pass on what I knew about shooting to others

Karl

I was registering for the forum and while cruising around I saw some really great monikers. I'm sitting at the "confuser" wishing that the creative side of my brain would function just this once   :wb:  ............After what seemed like an eternity I looked to the stack of mail I received that day and resigned to my uncreative fate............sad but true.  :'( ..........I should have tried harder in art class when I was a yoot.
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

RiflesnReins

Well I wanted my name to be Marlingirl, but Mom suggested otherwise. So I combined what I loved most shooting Rifles and Riding horses/training cart horses (mostly Half-lingers and miniature horses). Hence the name RiflesnReins. Hmm if only I could combine the two..............   
:---
RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton