News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fred's Advanced IBC - Jan 22-23 - Miamisburg, OH

Started by MeanStreaker, December 13, 2010, 11:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

We are very excited to welcome Fred to Miamisburg, OH on January 22-23 to lead an Advanced Instructor Boot Camp!

This event is open to all current Instructors and I hope everyone in Ohio and our neighboring states are able to attend.  I'm not positive on the curriculum details, but there will be an emphasis on history, the Appleseed Mission, plans for the future of the program, etc.  

It is a privilege, and frankly a treat, to spend any time with the founder of our program and I'm sure everyone that attends will find it extremely educational, helpful, and worthwhile.

If you are attending, please send a PM to me with the following information after reading the details below:

--When you plan to arrive
--Where you plan to sleep
--If you will be partaking in Sat night's communal dinner

Some Details:

The AIBC will be held inside the Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club clubhouse (address, GPS Coords, directions can be found on the Event Information Page).  We have access to the large common room which will comfortably fit 25-30 in rows of seating.  As that will be our cutoff for attendance, get your RSVP in early!  O0  

There are two restrooms with sinks, but NO POTABLE DRINKING WATER is on site.  Please bring plenty of your own.

Arrival & Departure: You can arrive Friday evening after 6PM (when I'll be able to unlock the gate) or Saturday morning before 8AM (the start time of the AIBC).  The clubhouse must be cleaned and vacated before 5:30PM Sunday evening so a Boy Scout troup can hold their regular meeting.

Sleeping Arrangements: You are welcome to pitch a tent outside for free... or unroll a sleeping bag on the clubhouse floor at night and roll it back up in the morning. Keep in mind with that many people in one large common room it might get noisy or some bedtimes might differ from your own. I don't think 25 people will fit sleeping on the floor, so again, if you want to sleep inside, please RSVP to me early as that will be first come, first serve.  If you have some cold-weather gear, it will be a great chance to try everything out!  If you would like to spring for a hotel room, there are several economical options a few miles from the range.

Food: My wife has offered to cook a communal dinner Saturday night for us - probably something like chili, stew, or lasagna, but she hasn't decided exactly what yet.  I'm going to try to coordinate enough electric griddles depending on attendance numbers so we can cook a simple breakfast Sat and Sun mornings of scrambled eggs and bacon on site.  If you have something like that and are willing to bring it, please let me know.  We'll be on our own for lunches, so please bring something simple you can make on site.  There are no kitchen facilities.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!  
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Ratchett

Mike,

Am planning to attend, so count me in your numbers.

IHG,
Julia
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Scarecrow

Hi all.  I attended the AIBC for Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado this last weekend.
Let me say that missing an AIBC would be a mistake.   Big, huge mistake.  #)
Go. You won't regret it.
Thanks for coming out Fred. :bow:

MeanStreaker

Bump!

We still have room for a few more so I hope you can make it to this one-of-a-kind IBC!!!  Please send me a PM to reserve your spot.

So far we have attending (and please let me know by PM if I forgot someone):

MeanStreaker
Luna
DryFire
Nurse Ratchett
Recharge
Andre
RPD
Goldfish
RedNekEngr
Ishy
Louie
Miki
Gordon
yellowhousejake
hawkhavn
tube sniper
slim
George T
Headhunter
Third degree
SPQR
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

MeanStreaker

In case there was any confusion, this is a totally different animal than the regular IBCs we will be holding elsewhere.  This is a chance for us to talk history with Fred and learn his personal and professional thoughts on our Mission and how best to go about it.

Sorry if my original announcement was confusing and anyone thought this was just another IBC and you'd catch the next one.

Here are some words from Fred about the AIBC:

QuoteA Special Message from Fred:

This is going out primarily to SCs and RCs.

I am planning to hold a series of six "Advanced IBCs" over the course of the next 12 months.

They will be called "An Advanced Instructor Boot Camp with Fred", and will be restricted to IIT3 and above.

Equivalent to a post-graduate training seminar, these IBCs will cover all the issues, instructor-wise, history-telling-wise, and admin-wise which have arisen in the past year or so in the program.

They are designed to bring active program instructors "up to snuff" and ensure they are on the cutting-edge of the program, in terms of training.

There will be little or no duplication with the regular IBCs hosted around the country, in terms of the material covered - although some similar subject areas will be covered, except at a post-grad level.

The "Advanced IBC with Fred" can be co-scheduled with a regular IBC, since the two sets of students will be entirely different. Or they can be independently scheduled.

There will be no charge associated with "Fred" IBCs.

I am sending this because I cannot get to each of the states which are currently in the AS program, not with only six of these in the next 12 months. (I may be able to add a few more if there's enough demand.) I hope some of you SCs will seize an opportunity to get some cutting-edge education and training for your instructor corps and set up a date in your state for doing one. Right now, you can pick any month, but since I only can do one a month, as a month gets picked, it gets scratched from the sched for everyone else. I'll figure a way to let you keep posted on which months get taken.

All I ask of you is that, if you schedule one of these, you make an effort to get the word out to your IC and neighboring states so we can get as many as possible there.

I will do my best to leave your ITs more educated about the program, more effective as "tellers of the history", and more motivated as Appleseeders. Whew! Sounds like a lot of work!

If you can fit one of these in your state's schedule, PM me with the date ASAP.

Thanks.

I hope you have been encouraged by recent developments in the program. I know I have been. We need to always keep pushing, to keep things moving, and the program growing - so think Winterseed - and April 19th is right around the corner. The time to start setting up 4/19 dates is right now.

Sincerely,

Fred the Helpful
--Thomas Paine

MeanStreaker

Bump.  Only a few spots left.  Please see the attendance list a few posts up and if you want to join us, shoot me a PM.  Thanks!
--Thomas Paine

Gordon

I'll be driving to Miamisburg from the Toledo area, and I'm happy to give anyone a lift, perhaps coordinating with those coming from the north (I'm near the I-75 / I- 80 junction).  My current plan is to to drive down early Saturday morning, but I'm entirely flexible in this.

PM if interested.

hawkhavn

Meanstreaker,

Is there an Instructional portion Friday night or just 'fireside chat'?
If so, what time will that kick off?

Thanks!
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

MeanStreaker

This is Fred's show and I'm not really sure what the agenda is, but I *believe* the official AIBC doesn't get started until Sat morning at 8AM.  So we'll just be hanging out Fri night. 

I plan to arrive to unlock the range gate at about 6:30PM Fri after work.  If that doesn't work for somebody, please shoot me a PM and we'll figure something out.

Thanks.
--Thomas Paine

hawkhavn

Thanks!  SPQR and I will be there at 6:30(ish).

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

MeanStreaker

--Thomas Paine

MeanStreaker

Does anyone have an extra air mattress or cot they could bring for Fred since he's flying in?  All I have is a thermarest pad to offer him.
--Thomas Paine

MeanStreaker

Quote from: MeanStreaker on January 20, 2011, 01:19:30 PM
Does anyone have an extra air mattress or cot they could bring for Fred since he's flying in?  All I have is a thermarest pad to offer him.

Disregard.  All taken care of thanks to Luna.
--Thomas Paine