News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Rochester, IN - Dec. 11-12, 2010

Started by AuntieBellum, December 12, 2010, 11:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Winterseed at its finest!  I arrived late Saturday afternoon and was greeted by rain and sleet and smiles! Today we were treated to lots of snow and wind and falling temps all day long, along with our three hardy young men who brought along their excellent teachable attitudes and braved the weather.

Everyone enjoyed the markmanship, the history, and the snow, and I look forward to seeing everyone again soon for the next Winterseed!

Sorry, I don't have any pics from Saturday since it was so very wet, but here are some pics from Sunday.

Sam with his tube-fed rifle:

The snow keeps falling - and look, even our state coordinator isn't afraid to get in the snow:

Dangerous Old Men - quick, anyone remember who he's talking about???!!!   ;)

Each one of our Sunday shooters tried out an M1 for their first time:

And a sneak peak at me and Rimshot's Christmas card - what better a place for a pic than at a Winterseed?  Merry Christmas!

Thanks for coming, everyone!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

SPQR

O0
you guys look cold.  I don't reckon i am that tough.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

Quote from: SPQR on December 12, 2010, 11:19:51 PM
O0
you guys look cold.  I don't reckon i am that tough.

Oh, you could handle it.  Just layer up, keep moving, and you'll be fine.  Lots of Winterseeds left for you to get in on the action this season.   O0 

TruTenacity

Another nice looking Winterseed on the books for AS.

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Evenstar

'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Rimshot

Yes it was icy.  And cold.  And wet on Saturday.  And I don't regret for a second spending my weekend at our new range partner Sand Burr Gun Ranch with these fine folks.  We were worried that no one would come due to the winter weather warning, yet 6 shooters and two observers trooped in Saturday morning.  The weather spirits were kind to us in the morning, providing mid-30s and dry until after lunch.  The rain didn't let up for the rest of the day, though.  We still managed to eke out one AQT by the end of the day.  

Sunday morning dawned cold, but the snowstorm that was supposed to to hammer the region did not arrive until later in the day.  Three young men ("youths" on paper but they conducted themselves as men) arrived for the day's festivities. We were able to proceed quickly into the AQT "grind".  As the snow started to fall after lunch, both shooter and rifle were tested.  Shooters acclimated and overcame while weather related equipment problems began to rear their ugly heads.  Our shooters learned to overcome most of the issues, though ice in a rifle's action sidelined one.  All three shooters stuck it out all day and each received a youth patch for their exemplary conduct, plus they all accepted the invitation to fire a clip apiece through my M1, showing that a proper position and execution of the 6 steps leads to accurate fire with any size rifle.

AuntieBellum puts the shooters in prep

A little snow never hurt anyone:

We made a yellowhousejake-shaped snowman to pass the time:
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

stschil

I am so jealous!!   I would have much rather been helping on the line in the snow and rain then on the roof of my barn nailing shingles to keep the insides dry.
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

Clif45

I should have been there !@#)...  Guess I will see everyone in march...

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Clif45 on December 13, 2010, 12:04:37 PM
I should have been there !@#)...  Guess I will see everyone in march...
Just gather up some of that extra snow you have now and and hold onto it for the March date.   ;D

TBE

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

yellowhousejake

Auntibellum and Rimshot have already said all that needs be said, and I would agree fully.

A bit cold and wet Saturday, but beautiful weather Sunday. This was a serious kick off to Winterseed as Mother Nature threw her worst at us, and we made it through. My hats off to the three young men who toughed it out, they showed real Rifleman Persistence.

A small parking lot, "real Rifleman park here" should have been the sign.

As Rimshot has already stated, if you are afraid to take your rifle outdoors, take it home.

AB and Rimshot manning the line.

Ahhh, memories.... A right fine stage one for such foul conditions.

And just to drive the point home. I was speaking with the range owner Saturday evening and she said that the previous weekend a more famous group was scheduled to be instructing and they barely made an hour or two on the line before running back to the hotel. When she saw we had mostly young men she was afraid we would cave to the weather. When she heared the first rounds go downrange after 9am, she stood up and cheered.

I can't wait for the next one. See you all when the snow flies!

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

DaveD

What a great shoot!  An excellent AAR too boot!! :cool2:

What awaits us at our next Indiana Winterseed?  Looks like we have 5 more before the end of Februray O0
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

ATM

Way to get out there and brave those elements!   O0

Hats off to the those who attended and the instructors who met them there on the icy field of perseverance.  :bow: 

I hope to make it up to Sand Brrrrr before it gets too warm...
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Junior Birdman

Hey!  I recognize that M1! (Last time I saw it there weren't "grits" all over the ground though)

Nice shoot guys! Good to "see" you again!  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass