News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Calverton dec 11-12 "Prune Seed"

Started by kDan, December 12, 2010, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

Ah, what a way to start the season.  Rich got his Red Hat!  Woohoo!  

We walked out to a snow covered line on Saturday morning and fled a monsoon on Sunday afternoon.  My car floated through that last puddle.  I will always make sure Dakota is behind me in that giant black truck when I leave from now on.  This was one for the hearty, the dedicated, the suicidally insane.  Harry, when he came out to check on us on Sunday, said to me, "You guys are nuts you know that, right?"  Coming from him, I don't think I've ever received such a compliment in my life.  After all, he grew up under his father who ran Calverton shooting range through most of the last 40 years or so.  I know a LOT of you have heard the stories...  or seen the cars explode.  

We started out with 20 shooters on Saturday morning, and ended with four shooters mid-Sunday afternoon - three of them women, and one a Texan.  We were planning the Long Island Lady Seed for May or June, but maybe we'll move it to February, keep the warm summer months open for the boys.

I'm just gonna attach some pictures and let you guys post for now.  I've got to get back on the road.  I stopped off at the official Long Island IIT mentoring and Suffolk County promotions HQ, so it's still a loong way to Tipperary...

VietVet Red Hat

Winter Seed

Prune Seed

hanging da line (this is when I pretend I'm busy folding t-shirts or something)

Father and Son

Fast Frank - Son of Liberty

New IIT (Charliehotel) and Son

Steve

don't mess with long island - cuz nyrattlesnake will KILL you.

umm...  carry the one... denominator...

it's gonna rain.  this is gonna suck

232... what about you?

so... it's the little gray thingies right?

dum dum duuuum

Modified to capitalize the word Texan.  Not trying to mess with texas.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Altarboy

WOW this appleseed was a MEGAseed! we had like 20 shooters on saturday and on sunday we ended with 4 shooters(3 were boys and 1 was a boy) we had one rifleman on saturday. CHRIS what would we do without you? the barbecue was awesome, and the easy ups helped a lot on sunday. (although we had to take them down because of the wind)  . i ended up calling the line of 6 people on sunday. vietvett got his red hat congrats.  anyway, it was overall a successful shoot.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."         -U.S Constitution  2nd amendment

CharlieHotel

Great pics Dan! I'm gonna do my best to work every monthly appleseed and gain experience... Let me know if there's any thing else I can do in between. Was an honor to work with such honorable and skilled men. "Rain, what rain"?

Looking forward to January, Have a Merry Christmas if I don't hear from you before then.

"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

kDan

You will hear CH.  Thank you, brother for stepping up.  Good feeling about you. 

Fast Frank already sent in his next pc.  Gawd LI is on FIRE!

But - If you guys wanna see what a real Winter Seed looks like -

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19255.msg153287;topicseen#msg153287

See you in January!  I will be back with more photos but here's Mad Matt hammering the First Strike.  I mean Big Matt - he's like 8 feet tall and going from IIT2 to Shoot Boss like NOW!.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

bravo juliet mike

It looks like another great Long Island event. Wish I had been there.

sgtrock

Now that looks like a Great Appleseed to be have been at,,,,

VietVet My Brother,,, A Big Congrtulations on the RedHat,,, You have been a Great Asset to this program before the Hat, I know you will carry on with the Dedication of a True Rifleman and an Instructor that this organization is Proud to have on board,,,, Long Island is the Great Frontier in New York and going strong,,, keep up the good work guys and gals,,,

sgtrock

VietVet

Now that I've dried off and rested up I've found the energy to join in here.

Honestly can't find the words to express the PRIDE I felt being presented my Red Hat. It is a day I will remember forever. I'd like to thank ALL who have helped me along the way. A special thank you to kDan who in his special way has been my mentor. Thanks Dan.

Where do I start about this shoot.
Anyone that has ever done an Appleseed at Calverton knows this is a "Hardcore Range". That was proven once again this weekend.
Today the rain was unbelievable. This for the record was worse then the shoot we had last year. The one we refer to as the "Monsoon Shoot". Can't even think of a term to properly describe this one. If we held it in the shower we would have stayed drier.

Rifleman persist and that was surely proven at this event.
Rifleman, Cooks whatever you want to call them they did persist.
The Shooters wouldn't quit. The harder it rained the harder they tried for the Patch. The wind and rain just added to the excitement on the line. Determination rained from the sky today. You could feel it in the wet air.

Hardcore, yes, the Shooters were.

Calverton has grown into a family of Cadre and Shooters. The more that's thrown at them the faster they want to return for the next event. It seems to be the New York way.

Maybe for our January event we'll have Snow.

Pretty much at a loss for word to sum up my feelings but to try THANK YOU  to everyone involved.
It's now hours after this Shoot ended and I still haven't taken off my new RED HAT!

Here are some photos in random order.......

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

VietVet

Here are a few more.
Hopefully some day I'll learn how to post them full size.

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Josey Wales

..Looks like a great event! The level of dedication & persistence was at an all time high.  It makes me proud to recognize the faces I know & excited to meet the new ones..

..Great job..          .....Strength & Honor........JW.............

..Rich, Congratulations My Friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Dakota

What else is there to say? Dedication, determination, and persistence prevailed this weekend.
Congratulations again to Rich for getting the Red Hat, thanks for all your hard work. O0
Dan, I've been going to Calverton since I was 6 or so, I knew enough to wait for you to get out through the swamp.
As for the shooters, and the new IIT's, we really do have a great group of people!
See you guys in January at the meeting, and at the January Winterseed!
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a joyous (insert your own holiday here).

Mike

P.S. Already working on some Snow and Rain proof ideas for backing boards! ++)
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

RATTLESNAKE

Congratulations Rich on the new Red Hat. Harry is right "We are nuts". I am looking forward to January already....
"It is not yet too late to accommodate the dispute amicably. But I am of opinion, that, if once General Gage should lead his troops into the country, with design to enforce the late Acts of Parliament, Great Britain may take her leave, at least of the New-England colonies, and, if I mistake not, of all America. If there is any wisdom in the nation, God grant it may be speedily called forth!"
- written in a letter from Joseph Warren to Arthur Lee, 20 February 1775

kDan

In my rush to get this out yesterday, I neglected - did not forget - to post a picture of Charliehotel receiving his patch on Saturday.  He took the hat and worked on Sunday.

Congratulations, Chris!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

jim260z

, and ended with four shooters mid-Sunday afternoon - three of them women, and one a Texan.

How fast we forget the bagman, dan
Jimi Hendrix

CharlieHotel

Just Proud and Humbled work in the midst of such skilled and Dedicated men... It is truly an Honor.

Quote from: kDan on December 13, 2010, 10:04:37 AM
In my rush to get this out yesterday, I neglected - did not forget - to post a picture of Charliehotel receiving his patch on Saturday.  He took the hat and worked on Sunday.

Congratulations, Chris!

"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

R1SGx2

Nice work and congrats Viet Vet. Red looks good on you, can't wait to see green.

Proud of the Shooters for persisting and the instructors for all they do.
Hope all have dried out and warmed up...
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

kDan

Quote from: jim260z on December 13, 2010, 09:13:17 PM

, and ended with four shooters mid-Sunday afternoon - three of them women, and one a Texan.

How fast we forget the bagman, dan

Jim...  Bagman...  never forgotten, you just sat out the aqt when I took the picture.

three women, a texan, and a bagman is more poetic
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Bagman!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout