News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buckeye, AZ December 11-12, 2010

Started by Old Glory!, December 12, 2010, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

Here we go....

It's been a long and rewarding day.  Thanks to 13 student who came out.  I think we could call this the "open sight" Appleseed.  One scope out of 13. 

Most excellent Heritage discussion following the first strike at noon today.  Thanks to everyone for that.  More fun to come tomorrow.  See ya'll there...
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AZOpie

A great bunch at the range today - safe and fun. I am always impressed by the people that show up - from seasoned shooters to those who have never touched a rifle before. Everyone did a great job keeping the line safe! Looking forward to tomorrow.  :)

AZOpie

Another great day at the range! So nice to see all of you back again today!

^:)^ 2 new Riflemen today: Bruce with a 213 and Nathan with a 215!  ^:)^ and lets not forget those knocking at the door!

Thanks so much to Bruce for stepping up and taking the orange hat! We very much appreciate it!

MaineYankee

Awesome Weekend, Great participants, and Super instructors!!!!  I'm very much looking forward to participating on the other side and turning the orange to red!!!!  Ordered jackets, slings, etc. this morning!!!!  Savannah is pumped for the next one!

What an amazing, potentially life changing experience!!

Thank Y'all for a great weekend!

Bruce

BTW, first forum post ever, anywhere, for this old dog....

Old Glory!

Maine Yankee!  Welcome to the forum  O0   and thanks for stepping up to help grow more Appleseeds in AZ. 

More pics to follow, but for now I've got to go outside and enjoy this AZ weather  ^:)^

before heading back to 14 inches of snow and below freezing temps  !@#)

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations and WELCOME aboard Bruce  O0

Nice pic's -- Great job in Buckeye  8)

JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

colycat

Maybe its AZ.  Probably not though.  This was the sharpest group of shooters, I have ever had the pleasure of instructing.  Could not believe the TSP, (total student participation) on Saturday morning.  Crazy!  But on Sunday,  they were just like normal people,  much to my relief.  I would hate to think one area of the country has all the genius people.

Even though the students turned out to be not genius's in the 6 steps to fire the shot,  they where with out exception the best of what America has to offer.

Before I go to much further into this,  MINDY,  where are your ear plugs ^:)^

One of the rewards at every AS is to look at the position of the students on Sunday eve, at the last red coat.  Man,  they all look like Rifleman to me. O0

But this whole group of AZ citizens not only look like Rifleman,  they think and act like Riflemen.  I was so happy with the world when I left the range on Sunday.

Thank you, all who came and learned.  You all made me feel so at home.

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

EEL

Coly and OG,
Looks like you had a cold snap, eh?  I saw a few folks in long sleeved shirts.  Brrrr.  Prolly what?....highs in the low 80s and down to .......wait for it.......75 at night?

Moose Jaw saw a balmy 11 with winds at 40, gusting to 55.  Freezing rain followed by blowing snow.  I guess I now know who is the real genius' of the midwest are.  "Oh alright Fred, if I have to go, fine.  :(   ;)"

Sounds like you had a great bunch out there.  Good to see.

The bode of youse were missed at Moose Jaw.  Nice set up for the flag and banner  O0  Don't let CM see it  **)

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

colycat

No EEL, you are wrong about the lows.  It was darn right chilly in the morning.  I even thought about a sweatshirt on Sunday.  Its not all perfect anywhere. $$-0

Wish you cuda been here.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Quote from: EEL on December 13, 2010, 10:42:29 PM
Coly and OG,
Looks like you had a cold snap, eh?  I saw a few folks in long sleeved shirts.  Brrrr.  Prolly what?....highs in the low 80s and down to .......wait for it.......75 at night?

Moose Jaw saw a balmy 11 with winds at 40, gusting to 55.  Freezing rain followed by blowing snow.  I guess I now know who is the real genius' of the midwest are.  "Oh alright Fred, if I have to go, fine.  :(   ;)"

Sounds like you had a great bunch out there.  Good to see.

The bode of youse were missed at Moose Jaw.  Nice set up for the flag and banner  O0  Don't let CM see it  **)

EEL

**)

Wow!  Those pics are just what I needed to finally thaw out after this weekend!
Heck, the sunny pics on my screen are emitting more heat than I saw untill a few hours ago!

QuoteBTW, first forum post ever, anywhere, for this old dog....
Appleseed saw my first forum experiment as well!
Congratulations Bruce, and thank you!

Great job guys!

Coly and Old Glory, take your time on the trip back- You've earned it! O0

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

NEWGUY556

Coly & OG Thanks for coming. It was nice to meet both of you and a pleasure to work the line with you.
MaineYankee Thanks for stepping up and congratulations on shooting Rifleman. Feel free to PM me with questions etc.. anytime.

To any of the shooters that may be lurking: Thanks for coming, feel free to jump in and comment. We don't bite.... Hard

PS: It was unseasonably warm. The high was like 79. Really nice weather.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

Old Glory!

Tom and Barbara (silver fox or blue eyes  ;)), glad you made it out.  

John and Debra, you wrote everything down!  Impressive.  Great students; thanks for your contributions to the discussions.

Tony, Justin, Zach great to meet ya'll.  You've already got a three man team built.  Good to see friends come out together.  

Bolt Action Mike - you work that action smooooth operator.  Nice work on the ball and dummy.  And thanks for making the extra T-shirt happen.  

Morgan - you really know how to make some noise!  

Nathan, Congratulations! 

Jeff,  You hung in there through the neckaches, and made good use of the seated position and kept going back for more prone when others might have sat out.  

Mindy - What a way to end the weekend!  Your redcoat was fantastic.  

Keep in touch with the AZ Appleseeders and help spread the word.

As State coordinator, AZopie is stirring up the State with good plans for more Appleseeds at more ranges in AZ.   O0  

AZopie, AZBuddy, NewGuy, Bruce, thanks for your hospitality.  Great to meet and work with you.   You are all welcome in WI anytime; July-Aug might be particularly nice for ya.  ;)  

EEL, Aftermath - thanks for covering the Riviera of the North while we play.  Hard to believe, but we haven't even had to leave the country to find this kind of weather.   >:D

Let's hear from you....your thoughts on the weekend.  Someone tell us what it was like to shoot into the afternoon sunshine with all that glare, $$-0, lest all those guys up nort think it was cake-walk.

silverfox2u

This was my first Appleseed but it will definitely not be my last! Great photos...

It was a great weekend and I learned a lot. All of the talk of history made me go back and review my lineage. I have a few Mayflower Passengers, Founding Fathers and Revolutionary Soldiers in my family tree. The three known Revolutionary Soldiers in my family tree are; William Wilgus, Silas Beckwith and Peles Stanton. Founding fathers include Steven Post, Thomas Lord, (founders of Hartford CT); Thomas Bingham, John Post, William Hyde (founder of Norwich, CT) and Thomas Stanton and William Chesebrough (founders of Stonington CT). The Mayflower family in my line is the Howland family; John Howland and his wife Elizabeth Tilley and their son. Genealogy is a hobby of mine that simmers away until the fire is stoked yet again. The internet has been a great source of information as I continue the historical research. Who knows - I may find some lost family members as I continue to build my network of friends and comrade in arms.....

For those of you that live here in AZ - please keep in touch - there's nothing better than a day of shooting and improving our skill...Since I teach from home I am online most of the morning. Talk to you soon and see you at the next shoot in Buckeye...

Old Glory!

SF2u,
Thanks for signing on to the forum and posting here.  Hope others will follow your lead.  There is a woman's thread with testimonies for your enjoyment, and posting as well.......  
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=254.0

Wish we would have remembered to take the group photo before you left.   :-\

Keep us posted on what you find out on your ancestors.   That is so cool!   We'll be glad to hear any stories you would like to share.  Especially those Rev War Soldiers.

I've gotten as far back as my great great grandfather, Winfield Scott Colvin, 6th KY Cav., who survived the explosion of the steamship Sultana a few days after the assasination of President Lincoln at the end of the Civil War and lived in KY.  His father settled in KY from somewhere further east, but I haven't been able to get any further.   

History comes to life when one realizes the stories of real people and real events. One of my favorite parts of Appleseed. 

Another is meeting great Americans all across the country.

..:..

colycat

Hello to all my new friends in Arizona.

OG and myself were welcomed in Milwaukee with 13 degrees and frozen door locks.  Good thing I had a lighter to heat of the car key. (I know, just use the key fob.  Bateries are dead and I cant figure out how to open the dang thing.) $$-0

It is now -9 outside with 14 inches of snow on the ground.  I am 6 feet from the wood stove and it feels good.

Thank you all for having me in your fine state this past weekend.  Do you have another shoot this weekend that we could go to? ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

SavageShootr

I hear they need help in Mariposa, CA. Dec 18-19
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

AZbinary

Colycat, we have a winterseed in Sierra Vista this weekend, but beware, the temps probably will just barely get into the 70's.

The real experience are the June through September shoots   :)

Thanks for coming down!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011