News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Eagle Creek OR, December 11 & 12, 2010

Started by Earl, December 10, 2010, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Well, we get the Winterseed Patches and the Hawaiian Express shows up with lots of cooling rain, sigh. :'(

Current: Showers
Wind: SW at 8 mph
Humidity: 96% ::) Of course rain is very humid...

Sat
Rain
45°F | 45°F
Sun
Rain
54°F | 49°F

Still, be careful driving in the darkness and slick roads, bring your lunch and fluids, dress in layers and a bit of water proof would be good.

... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Wheeler44

You've heard of Waterman 300?  You've heard of Winterseed?  Welcome to Waterseed..Estimated rain fall?  2"-4"..
Gonna be a wet one...

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Earl

Wake at 1 AM, leave home at 4 AM, arrive at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club at 7 AM, APPLESEED turns to WATERSEED! Lovely day, 18 pre-registered, 17 show up, 5 walk-ons - many familiar faces from AS in the past. Great day for melting cardboard target backers and wet paper target tearing, great Rifleman spirits by all the shooters and the crew, although small, works its wonders. Everyone learned something and took good memories home - y'all come back tomorrow, y'hear?
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

Continued...

Ducko

You know, Northwesteners area great group of folks, they spend the day out in the wet and wind, to learn marksmanship and hear the 3 strikes, puddle jumping on their way back and forth from the target line with everything wet and at the end of the day with a big smile on their face, they vow to come back for more!.  18 registered and 5 walk ons.
Ducko
Don't wait, go to the sound of the rifles and get involved! 

We are not to expect to be transported from despotism to Liberty in a feather bed!
Thomas Jefferson

Reformed Redneck

Great job to all involved.

Thanks for posting all of the pictures. Good to hear (and see) good news from the 'wet' side. I think the photo of Earl laughing is worth all of the hassles associated with a Waterseed. We need a patch with oars on it for just such occasions.

Best regards to all,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Evenstar

Thanks for all the pictures, Earl. That one of you laughing is excellent. ;) :D ^:)^

Way to persist everyone. Almost have to swim out to the target line. ;)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

TruTenacity

"Puddle jumping"

I love it!

Thanks for posting pictures.  They're great!
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Wheeler44

Not as much rain today........But the puddles seemed bigger.....Earl, The great shootboss that he is, inspired some of the one day only shooters to return for day 2......That hasn't happened too many times, in my experience. Usually it's the other way around. I heard from an acquaintance that is a member of the range that they like our program and want us back...w00t w00t........ Way to go Earl and crew.....(insert "bow down" emoticon here)

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Earl

The Lord knows I love Appleseeds and the people that come to shoot and honor the Heritage, and especially appreciate the efforts of the crew and host range. When I looked up and found four not registered returning for a second day, and two of them paid hard money, I was moved and wish I knew how to bottle what made them get up and come on back for more. We covered a refresher of everything, had sixteen total shooters, had a Mosin moment in the afternoon after Known Distance (out just to the edge of that large lake out there). Three of our four young patriots kept working at their marksmanship, but it is so hard to slow Jason down enough for any kind of a pause - even respiratory, although I think he knows that the first step is now Sight Alignment. Real improved performance from the first day all around, homework given and I expect since I sent them off with targets, t-shirts and budding talent, the RWVA will be seeing them in the future, take good care of them - Wheeler44 stirred and shook them up with a benediction that was worthy of mention. Two more Riflemen made, hoping they will spread the word since they have control of the six steps and need the challenge of the seventh. Several interested, and introduced to the Shoot Boss, Instructor shooters from the NRA and Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (like I was important enough to be introduced to - love the attention to the program, but it isn't Earl - it was Fred's idea, see him). New, first time Line Boss, carefully coached by Earl (okay, I was pouncing on his every move - picking on him), he was getting pretty good by the end of the afternoon. Like marksmanship - the crew continues to persevere and make it a pleasure to be with them as they Scramble for my SB hat (which was left at Del Rios in Stevenson).

Wheeler44

Earl...You reached those new Riflemen... They are already seventh steppin' over on a local gun forum......

I expect to garner a couple o' new ranges outta this shoot... Spreadin' Appleseed a little farther each time...

Thanks for your great service during this Appleseed season..

W44

Scramblin

Waterseed it was.  Not to get all Jeff Foxworthy, but... "you know you're in Portland when"... it rains 4" in 8 hours and you only see 1 umbrella all day.

The little bit o precipitation did not spoil our fun 1 bit.  Big smiles on lots of faces as we headed out after Day 1. 8)

Thanks for all the help and coaching Earl/Wheeler44/Ducko & Theopolis!  What a great group of shooters.  3 New Riflemen, and more than a few shooters that will persist and persevere until it clicks I imagine.  

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Relaxing NEW YEAR!  Then let's get back at it.  

Killed my cable.  Found Appleseed.  Nuff said.

dart67eb

Earl,

You probably already know this trick, but at the Como, MS waterseed we put the backers in plastic bags before we hung them up and they lasted real well.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Wheeler44

Global warming gone horribly haywire...There was a shark on the target line???

Dag nabbit...Cain't hardly see the shark fin..

Earl

>:( Oh, well. Wheeler44 is my expert on optics for rifles, but I guess I will have to use my Photoshop elements to allow y'all to see the SHARK! :))

I thought about the bagging the cardboard, but not enough to have brought a bunch of bags, and I am never going to be as fast as my able crew - Scramblin' Dave and Ducko had things moving from the time they exited their automobiles, those backers were up in the rain before most of the shooters had arrived, I can see adding a box of garbage can liners to the pile of preparations in my Caravan - and they ask why I always drive alone... just ain't much room, although I have made room for Western Rose and Still Learnin' and would dump all kinds of more if I needed to get more wonderful people inside out of the weather. ;)

MacMcM

Earl,
Camp Perry types can identify folks by water puddles.... Pistol shooters walk around them, Smallbore shooters walk through them, Highpower shooters lay down in them.

I guess Appleseeders and Highpower shooters are the same all over!

Great report,

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Earl

Laying in puddles, I still remember Joni and Emily laying in the cold water at Stevenson, WA, that was really tough. Probably a lot of similarities between HP shooters and Appleseed shooters - they are all living to be Riflemen. That is a most worthy goal. ^:)^

There was a wood burning stove in the range hut at the back the covered line of this range, that was where we stuffed the shivering and shaking when it got too bad for shooting. Those fine folks at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club have a fine facility.

Kimber Custom

Thanks again guys for turning me into a believer (aka Rifleman). Prior to the Nov shoot I could count on one hand all the times I had shot rifle. 0-217 in 3.25 days of training.  :bow:

Last night Leeanna brought me one of her targets that she had kept. She wrote a list of 7 or 8 goals on the back for our next Appleseed. She's ready to go  O0

Wheeler44

Kimber......Congrats on the good shooting and more so on gettin' through all of the obstacles and over all of the hurdles that you had.....  I was great seein' you, Leanna and her Grampa on the line..She'll soon be the third generation of Riflemen in her family...I must have neat watchin' Grampa and then Dad gettin' the Patch, Knowin' what it takes and all.

Remember, all families deserve what you received from the crew.....Help us deliver man..

W44

Earl

Okay, but the days between shoots count also - you did and will improve with study.

My favorite martial arts story:

Before I studied martial arts a fist was just a fist a kick was just a kick.
As I studied the martial arts seriously, a fist was no longer just a fist and a kick was no longer just a kick.
But when I Mastered the martial arts, a fist is just a fist and a kick is just a kick.

We know that the rifles can hit the good part of the target, it is just getting the Rifleman out of the shooter that makes this Appleseed stuff so much fun.

cptdondo

Quote from: Earl on December 13, 2010, 01:23:59 AM
Three of our four young patriots kept working at their marksmanship, but it is so hard to slow Jason down enough for any kind of a pause - even respiratory, although I think he knows that the first step is now Sight Alignment.

Thoght you'd like to know that Jason shot this target 2 weeks after he came back from Appleseed:

There's a total of 18 rounds in that target.  It just took Jason 2 weeks to slow down.   :cool2:

Earl

I do like that target of Jason's. I hadn't seen it long ago, hope his marksmanship has continued and you are all doing very well. That was a fine Appleseed.

cptdondo