News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rising Fawn GA, 21-22 SEP 2013

Started by Maximum Ordinate, September 22, 2013, 10:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

The weather was crazy this weekend in Rising Fawn, Georgia, but that didn't deter the patriots who came out to listen to the story of Liberty and learn the fundamental American skill of marksmanship!  (Your humble author was the Shoot Boss in Training, under the leadership of DSB Ramblinwreck and accompanied by a crew of veteran instructors).

Friday night was rain and Saturday's Appleseed began with a light drizzle.  We had a dozen shooters on the line.  Despite the hours of downpour, motivation and spirits were both high.  We began the day with the First Strike & some fundamental training, modeling our efforts off successful DonD's course of fire.  After some of the rain slacked up, we moved forward to lay under the pop-ups and start shooting.  Some shooters had great groups (6-8 MOA) after the first couple of squares!

The rain finally broke off about 2:30 and our shooters kept persevering in the high humidity.  We got to one AQT on Saturday afternoon and 13 year old Duane scored a 210!  During his patch presentation, an already damp Duane got some additional water from the North Bridge.  Huzzah, Duane!!  ^:)^

I am also delighted to share that we had two young men accept Blue Hats.  Both of these boys are sons of Regulator and are chasing their patch, but still want to be able make a contribution to Project Appleseed!

Sunday morning arrived with a crisp blue sky and lots of smiling shooters returning.  EVERYONE who said they would be able to return on Sunday did so... these were some stalwart shooters after yesterday's soaking.   After a review, some Ball & Dummy and a few other fun exercises, we moved to the AQT grind!

On the second-to-last AQT, Duane's father Chris scored a 216 to earn his Rifleman's patch.  I suspect we'll see both of these Riflemen at another Appleseed, too.  If I'm there, I'll make sure I have a couple of Orange Hats in my cargo pocket for them!

My thanks to everyone who came out this weekend, both shooters and instructors.  Your motivation and great attitudes helped bring sunshine to even THIS rainy Saturday.  All of you made great strides in your marksmanship skills and I hope to see you back soon.

In the next day or so, I'll post a few pictures from this weekend's event.  If anyone would like a full-size original from this set, please PM me with your email address!

If you took pictures, we'd love to have you post them here!

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Maximum Ordinate

Duane receiving his Rifleman patch from the instructor he felt helped him the most during the day.  His Dad, Chris, standing next to him.

Ramblinwreck sharing about evolution of the battle rifles of the 20th Century.

The right side of the firing line with their volley fire target!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

A couple more...

Left side of the line in the volley fire competition!

Chris receiving his patch from the instructor that assisted him the most during the day, Ramblinwreck!

-Thomas Jefferson

Guardian

Duane and Chris, CONGRATS and Huzzah! Glad you were able to make it to the Rising Fawn event. I hope you don't leave those Orange Hats in Rusty's pocket for too long.

Those volleys appear to be pretty effective!

SureShotSpartan

We were blessed with a tremendous group of shooters and Instructors in Rising Fawn this weekend!  Here are a few of the pictures I managed to take:

Some of us were more prepared for the rain than others.....just sayin'.   :cool2:

We didn't let the rain dampen our spirits as the instruction began under roof.

Before we knew it, we were able to move to the line with little inconvenience

and the Instructors were right there.

Regulator

Overmountain Man

Goose

Rusty

Ramblinwreck

By early afternoon on Saturday, the rain had left the area.

Rusty and Regulator teaching IMC

Overmountain Man with his model, Regulator, teaching Sitting/Kneeling SHFs as Rusty and Goose observe.

Sunday's weather was in stark contrast to what we endured the day before.  Mild temperature, gentle breeze, ample shade........I could go on and on and on......

Ramblinwreck and Kathryn

Goose and Chloe

Shannon shot a 209 with her center-fire AR and iron sights before equipment malfunctions ended her attempt to RE-QUALIFY

Ramblinwreck sharing a DOM story

Goose got a little long awaited "trigger time" and he made the most of it.

A very special congratulations are in order for Rusty!!  He did a FINE job as SBIT!!   ~~:)  Thank you to all that attended as our distinguished guests!!!  I hope to see you on the line again, VERY SOON!!!

-Spartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree with Rusty and Spartan about the weekend. The shooters showed good spirit even in the downpour on Saturday morning and improved greatly from where they started once the rain let up. Congratulations to our two newest Riflemen, the father son team of Chris and Duane. I think we might see orange hats in their future.

Congratulations to Rusty on his second successful SBit event. I'm looking forward to his third next weekend in Puryear.  ;)

Keep a lookout for another mid-week Appleseed event in October for those who might not be able to make the weekend.

'Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

rjz1973

Rusty, Ramblinwreck, Goose, Regulator, Overmountainman and Sureshotspartan, you guys did a great job!  It was my first Appleseed and after reading so many positive responses in the forum, I had set a rather high bar on expectations.  You nailed it.  The history was great and Overmountainman, at the age of 14, was impressive in telling his "strike".  I had not heard several of those stories of Lexington and Concord.  I downloaded Paul Revere's Ride this morning and am looking forward to getting deeper into the history of the founding of our nation.  You guys kept the conversation apolitical and very matter of fact.  (I'll interject that there are certainly similarities from the 1760s to today.)

I appreciate the professionalism but strict discipline in running the line with unknown shooters.  That has to be a difficult job and you guys stayed on top of it (I may have been barked at once for a safety not being on, but a mistake that was certainly not repeated!). 

G-man and I will practice what we learned and certainly be back for another Appleseed.  I want that patch!

Thanks again for your time in volunteering for this event. 

rjz1973

"Government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us, blinds us to it's great power to harm us."  - Ronald W. Reagan, 1980

Big Country

Absolutely had a blast.  I've seldom met men that I so quickly counted as friends.  Duane and I are discussing the responsibilities of the orange hats.  Man are these rifles dirty.  Two weekends of Appleseed will do that.  Time for a cleaning party.
"man I need glasses"

Giverthegun

Thank you to all the instructors for taking time out of your schedule to help improve my shooting ability at my first Appleseed.  Overmountain man started us off right with his telling of the first strike of the match.  I enjoyed the first class history lessons as much as the instruction in marksmanship.  By the end of the day I was ready to grab a bucket and help Rusty start bailing our ship that's taking on water.  All of the instructors were professional with gentle guidance to help send this "cook" down the path to his future rifleman patch.  I hope to see all of you again at my next Appleseed.

Randy

Regulator

Great bunch of shooters this weekend! Everybody really did well with all the rain Saturday. Congratulations Duane and Chris!
RBC Ramseur 2/13
IBC Pelham, TN 2/14
RBC Ramseur 3/14 (Re-qualified w/ 224)
KD Qualified Pelham, TN 12/14
RBC Calera, AL 1/15
KD re-qualified 1/16

goose

It is always an honor to be in the finest of company...YOUR company.

As The Guy put it into words:  Simplicity and Precision (in everything you do)

Persistent Perseverance

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken