News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR500 Steel D-Targets

Started by Aromatic, November 29, 2010, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aromatic

3/8" with two 5/8" mounting holes.  Cut with plasma.

4/5/V rings only.

If we can drum up an order for 39 targets, the price is $130 + shipping.

Post a reply with the number of targets you are interested in and your state.

If we reach the magic number I will send out a PM with payment info.  I am not going to make any money doing this.  Shipping will be the actual shipping and hopefully we can use our vast AS network to our advantage.

I ordered two samples and will post pictures when they arrive.

Thanks to those who provided electronic copies of the target.

Bobcat Steel is the vendor.  http://bobcatsteel.com/

crak / New England - 5
eaglescouter / Northern CA - 4
Aromatic / TX - 2
TheEditor / IL - 1
Cooper / MN - 3
EEL / IL - 1
NMMI9100 / NM - 2
Big Papa / TN - 1
duc-dog / NM - 2
Devnull / NM - 2
TaosGlock / NM - 1
ID_Hezekiah / ID - 2
TBE / IN - 1
Jerry Hall / West TX - 2
M1D / IL - 1
dragit / TX - 1
polygunner / CA - 1
Ewald / IL - 1
spmcpeek / LA - 1
wcmartin1 / West TX - 2
pennys dad / CA - 2
Chainsaw / PA - 1

Total = 39

I can ship via whatever carrier you want.  Targets are 33 lbs each and will be shipped without any packaging.

Below are the price points:

13 pieces - $160 each

18 pieces - $153 each

21 pieces - $148 each

26 pieces - $142 each

39 pieces - $130 each

These prices are not good indefinitely.  Steel is also a precious metal.

crak

Check your drama at the door.

Aromatic

I have gotten several PMs about not being able to reply to this thread.  If you want a target and cant post here, send me a PM and I will add you to the list (first post).

EEL

EEL / Illinois  1  Can ship with editor's if that helps
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Aromatic

Please check the OP for updated information.  Here are some pictures of the actual targets.  The steel is a little wider at the shoulder and a little narrow in the neck/head (compared the the official AS  FD AQT).

My plan to mount (on a t-post)

Aromatic

This will run for a few more days.  Please post/PM if you are interested.  This is a good price.

Targets look good hanging on front doors/gates/mailboxes :~.   Also a great gift for that special Rifleman in your life  O0.

Approximate Shipping via USPS

to NM ~ $24/target or $39/two targets
to CA ~ $27target or $48/two targets
to IL ~ $24/target or $39/two targets
to MA ~ $32/target or $56/two targets
to TN ~ $20/target or $32/two targets
to ID ~ $32/target or $56/two targets
to MN ~ $28/target or $48/two targets

Greyhound is also an option for larger orders.

TaosGlock

Here are these targets set up on a portion of the KD line at The Whittington Center.
They are awesome for KD after you gather any paper data needed.
There are 2 black ones at the 200M line (to the left of the target backer w. 3 squares) and a white one at the 300M berm (to the right of the target backer w. 3 blk. squares.)

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

crak

Can he fix up the neck for the next batch?

EEL

1 other suggestion / comment.  The guys at MGM where I got my squares said holes in AR500 should be oval.  Something about round holes wanting to crack to the edge easier? ? ?  Also, you might ask about keeping them in a bit farther from the edge of the plate.

I'm no metal guy...just passing on some things you might want to investigate.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Aromatic

I will ask about the neck area.  It would help if I had an electronic copy to give him though.  I provided the only electronic copy that I had.  Does anyone know who is in charge of getting the paper targets printed?  It would be ideal if we could get the "official" electronic version.

These are not cut yet, so now is the time to request changes.  I agree with moving the holes in a little bit.  I will ask about the oval holes.

Also, if anyone knows a moderator, can you ask them to move this thread to a location where everyone can post?  I already PMed Deacon.

Right now it is looking like this group buy will close Friday at 5PM CST.  If we do not reach the 39 targets, I will send a PM asking for approval of the higher price. 

Aromatic

Bobcat Steel

Hey Guys, I am Kimball with Bobcat Steel. I noticed there were a few questions, so I decided to jump in! Now that the thread is moved I can respond, too. O0

Quote from: crak on December 01, 2010, 12:04:54 PM

We can do whatever you guys want. The ones I cut for Nick were directly from a file that he provided, I simply added the holes. Here lies the problem..The pricing above is based on the file that I already have. I have these nested together so tightly that changing the neck area will result in a price increase. Without the new sizing established I cannot quote you any firm numbers, but looking at the existing nests a change could result in the loss of up to a half dozen or so targets out of the 39 piece quantity. This would result in roughly a $25 price increase per piece. We can go down that road to verify, but we will need to agree on a revised drawing.

Please advise how you would like to proceed on this point.

Quote from: EEL on December 01, 2010, 12:51:58 PM
1 other suggestion / comment.  The guys at MGM where I got my squares said holes in AR500 should be oval.  Something about round holes wanting to crack to the edge easier? ? ?  Also, you might ask about keeping them in a bit farther from the edge of the plate.

EEL

In response to this, I happen to be a metal guy :cool2:

I have never heard this or seen anything to back it up. The only real reason to use a slot in any production part is to account for any variety in tolerance in an assembly. As far as the metal is concerned, A hole is a slot is a square is a oval. They all will affect the metal in the same way. With that being said, we can change the size/shape/location of the holes to anything you guys want. It will not affect the price. Just come to an agreement as a group and I will draw up the change for approval.

If you guys have any questions at all, please feel free to ask away!

I must at this time admit that I have yet to attend an Appleseed event....I know we in Indiana have a strong group, and I know a few of the people involved from the local group from other sites and the gun shows. (Joshua Streiff and Dave Dorsett come to mind) It is on my to-do list. I have heard nothing but wonderful things!

I appreciate what you guys do!!

JustJeff

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on December 01, 2010, 08:02:04 PM
Hey Guys, I am Kimball with Bobcat Steel. I noticed there were a few questions, so I decided to jump in! Now that the thread is moved I can respond, too. O0

Quote from: crak on December 01, 2010, 12:04:54 PM

We can do whatever you guys want. The ones I cut for Nick were directly from a file that he provided, I simply added the holes. Here lies the problem..The pricing above is based on the file that I already have. I have these nested together so tightly that changing the neck area will result in a price increase. Without the new sizing established I cannot quote you any firm numbers, but looking at the existing nests a change could result in the loss of up to a half dozen or so targets out of the 39 piece quantity. This would result in roughly a $25 price increase per piece. We can go down that road to verify, but we will need to agree on a revised drawing.

Please advise how you would like to proceed on this point.

Quote from: EEL on December 01, 2010, 12:51:58 PM

EEL

In response to this, I happen to be a metal guy :cool2:

I have never heard this or seen anything to back it up. The only real reason to use a slot in any production part is to account for any variety in tolerance in an assembly. As far as the metal is concerned, A hole is a slot is a square is a oval. They all will affect the metal in the same way. With that being said, we can change the size/shape/location of the holes to anything you guys want. It will not affect the price. Just come to an agreement as a group and I will draw up the change for approval.

If you guys have any questions at all, please feel free to ask away!

I must at this time admit that I have yet to attend an Appleseed event....I know we in Indiana have a strong group, and I know a few of the people involved from the local group from other sites and the gun shows. (Joshua Streiff and Dave Dorsett come to mind) It is on my to-do list. I have heard nothing but wonderful things!

I appreciate what you guys do!!

Talk about 'customer service."......  :bow: :bow: :bow: O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Aromatic

I say that we stick with the current dimensions.  The head and shoulder area is truncated on the paper target so I think it was adjusted to fit the paper.  I attached the two electronic formats I have.  I do not have the ability to open them.

My google-fu is weak so if anyone can find the actual "mil-spec" drawings for the D-target, please share them with the group.

Plus, we are Riflemen and a slightly smaller target is good practice.

JustJeff

QuotePlus, we are Riflemen and a slightly smaller target is good practice.

**)  O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

M1D

M1D / Illinois - 1, Can ship with EEL/The Editor if they don't mind.
"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
Our first Congressmen

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
A. Lincoln

"That's what we do.  We're Americans"
USN Corpsman

Aromatic

36 hours left.  We are only 11 targets away from the final price break.

Aromatic

Cooper

OK, Benzene Man

Up my request to 3 targets   ++)

Janelle
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Aromatic

Ewald

In for one. Add it to the IL ship list.

Aromatic

List updated.  Thanks everyone.

6 more ...

Bobcat Steel

Aromatic requested that I move the holes in 1" on each side to give a little more meat on the edges.

Done:

eaglescouter

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on December 02, 2010, 07:20:10 PM
Aromatic requested that I move the holes in 1" on each side to give a little more meat on the edges.

Done:

Thanks, I think that will be a very good improvement.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

crak

Also how about 3/8 inch holes instead of 5/8.  5/8 hardware is double the price and overkill, no?

eaglescouter

Quote from: crak on December 02, 2010, 08:27:48 PM
Also how about 3/8 inch holes instead of 5/8.  5/8 hardware is double the price and overkill, no?

For me the two bolts are the cheap part of this project.

I believe the larger heads will be a bit more resiliant when they are attacked with large caliber rifles.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Aromatic

I asked for 5/8" with the intention of using 1/2" bolts.  The only reason I picked that size is because it seems to be somewhat of a standard.

If the holes are 3/8" then the bolts will have to be slightly smaller...  You can use a smaller bolt in a 5/8" hole if you want.

If others want to go to a smaller hole, post or send me a PM.

List updated, 5 more to go...

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

pennys dad

Pennys Dad / SoCal - 2 targets

Cooper

Wow !!
This is even more exciting than watching election results come in !!
Go, targets, Go!
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim