News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Riley, IN Nov 27/28

Started by DaveD, November 29, 2010, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveD

Despite the earnest desire of some of the instructor staff, this shoot did not qualify as a Winterseed.  Sorry guy's .......... but we still had fun!

Saturday morning was overcast,frosty & cold, warmed up to the upper 30's. Sunday heavy frost but clear and in the upper 40's.  A beautiful day to add two new rifleman to the family.

John w/ 223, 216,216
Eric w/ 214, 212, 214

Had a shooter from Washington state visiting family and he brought four of them to the shoot   ^:)^ , a full half of our firing line!

Pictures coming from our photographers.

To at frosting to a great weekend:  Fred addressed our shooters both Saturday and Sunday afternoons!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

AuntieBellum

What a great weekend.  Every single shooter on the line showed improvement by bringing along the most important thing - a teachable attitude.   O0  I could see our shooters absorbing their heritage during the history, their eyes getting wider and their looks more thoughtful with each strike that passed.  They were especially pleased with our guest speaker - Fred!  I think Fred definitely helped round out the weekend and contributed to the quote below...

"This was the best Sunday EVER!" - Dr. Falken

The camping was cozy warm ( ;) - I was warm, wasn't everyone else?), the lunch was FANTASTIC (thank you, Niecie!!!), and the KD was awesome (ding, ding, ding!).  Congrats to our two new Riflemen, Dr. Falken and John, congrats to Noah on your youth patch, and congrats to our new hats - both orange and red!  Welcome aboard stschil and Ohmslaw, and congrats on the upgrade SPQR!  And SPQR even gave me something to work on for future shoots as we finished packing up - I think he's ready to take charge with that red hat.   ~~:)   **)

Pictures below - looking forward to seeing all of you again soon!

Saturday AM - looks like Dave was right, not quite a Winterseed.  But it was still chilly - brrrr!

So I took a picture earlier on Sunday to prove that it was below freezing at some point.   ;D

First shots - Saturday AM Redcoats:

Ball and Dummy:

Bill of Rights demos an AQT with Dinky spotting and yellowhousejake walking the shooters through the COF (course of fire).  Notice the young Noah absorbing the instruction:

Sunday AM Redcoats.  Brrrrr!!!  And wow, look at those great positions!

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

DaveD

By the way ..... the ONLY way to do an instructor AQT Demo is with a  suppressed 22LR  O0
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Niecie

What a terrific weekend!! Even freezing, we managed to really enjoy the time spent on the range and in the clubhouse.

Congratulations to our newest Blue hat, Abby ^:)^ and to Noah on his earning the Youth Patch O0
And congratulations to our newest Red hat, SPQR, and the two newest Orange hats, OhmsLaw and Stschil. Congrats to the new Riflemen, as well.

Great to see our old pals and have the opportunity to make even more friends!!

Special thanks to all that brought food, pie, etc. I really appreciate your generosity and I think everyone was quite pleased with the food.

Here are some more photos for you to enjoy ::)

Frosty Morning

Our Fantastic Instructors...
Amber assisting Noah

Outta Ammo visiting from Illinois...

aaannnnd....YellowhouseJake

KD Was a blast ::)
Noah and OhmsLaw (Ding, Ding, Ding)

This was the greatest Sunday ever... Dr. Falken

John making the 200 yard gong.

Dinky needing to make some adjustment...

Aaah - that is better...

Stchil and Dr. Falken are Spot on...

We were treated to benediction by Fred Saturday and Sunday...

Noah was awarded the Youth Patch...

John made Rifleman O0

Dr. Falken made Rifleman, too  O0

YellowhouseJake gave SPQR his Red hat...

SPQR wasted no time doing what he does best :)

Stchil and Abby both took hats. Orange for Stchil  ^:)^  Blue for Abby ^:)^

OhmsLaw also received an Orange hat  ^:)^

Thank you to all!! I had a great weekend ^:)^
Niecie

AuntieBellum

Oh, my - how could I forget to include Abby!  Abby, I am so happy that you've taken a blue hat and are jumping on board to help out.

Fantastic pictures, Niecie - thanks for sharing!

stschil

Quote from: Niecie on November 29, 2010, 09:40:07 PM
This was the greatest Sunday ever... Dr. Falken

Stchil and Abby both took hats. Orange for Stchil  ^:)^  Blue for Abby ^:)^

Another nice quote. On our way home,
Abby looks over at me and says "Dad, Thanks for taking the Orange hat."  "Why," I asked and she says "Because now, I know I'll be going to a lot more 'Seeds' to help!"     Gotta love that! 

OhmsLaw also received an Orange hat  ^:)^

I might be wrong, by I think that's Peashooter.

Thank you to all!! I had a great weekend ^:)^
Niecie

"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

AuntieBellum

Peashooter = Ohmslaw
He's one of those funny name changers.  **) Peashooter on INGO, Ohmslaw on RWVA. 

And I can't wait to see both you and Abby again soon, stschil!

Bill of Rights

Congratulations to the new Riflemen and a big
THANK YOU!!!to Abby,  SPQR, Stschil, and OhmsLaw!

It is sometimes quoted that John Adams wrote an exhortation to posterity in a letter to his wife in April of 1777. I am very pleased and very proud to see my fellow Americans making good use of their freedom. Of perhaps especial interest to our newest AppleCore volunteer is the fact that Mr. Adams wife was named Abigail.  O0

I look forward to seeing all of you at our next shoot together! HUZZAH!

Blessings,
Bill

Keep bailing! The ship needs all hands!
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Niecie

Quote from: stschil on November 30, 2010, 06:56:36 AM
Another nice quote. On our way home,  Abby looks over at me and says "Dad, Thanks for taking the Orange hat."  "Why," I asked and she says "Because now, I know I'll be going to a lot more 'Seeds' to help!"     Gotta love that!

Thanks for sharing that! She is such a wonderful girl, and I know you are so proud of her for all she is doing for Appleseed and the fantastic shooting too! ^:)^ We are very blessed to have you both. Thank you so much!!

See you all soon!

Niecie

yellowhousejake

A great shoot, we finally broke the KD curse of Riley and watched as steel danced, both 100 and 230 yards. We got words of encouragement from Fred, we made a new Red Hat (congrats SPQR), and gathered two new IITs (ohmslaw, stschil), and finally brought in a new Applecore worker.

We finished the weekend with two new riflemen to boot. What a great weekend!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

stschil

Quote from: AuntieBellum on November 30, 2010, 09:05:24 AM
Peashooter = Ohmslaw
He's one of those funny name changers.  **) Peashooter on INGO, Ohmslaw on RWVA. 

Ahhhh,,,,got it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me  :)
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

HQ

It was a fun weekend, despite the "1/4 inch frost" Sunday morning!  Thank you to the instructors.  The cold must have kept a few of the shooters away so the ratio was definitely in the line's favor.  There were more times than I can count where I had lengthy individual instruction.  It was very helpful.  I'll be using those pointers in my dry-fire this winter!

See you all at Bedford in February!

SPQR

Here we are at RILEY!

Shoots have themes, they have personalities that evolve and develop over the course of the weekend.  Sometimes the breakthroughs we experience at them are mammoth and sometimes they are more subtle.  This shoot had a warm personality despite the weather.  The learning was good.  Shooters responded to questions on the line with confidence and clear voices (not always the case) and they were attentive and safe.  The din of camaraderie and socializing when you stepped into the clubhouse was great, it was like a family get together only quieter (you should meet my sisters, I were my ear plugs to the dinner table).  i had a great time and hope all the shooters did as well and I hope those of you that didn't shoot rifleman come back when things warm up, you will be amazed at how much easier things are when it isn't freezing.  After becoming a Rifleman, you will be amazed at how much the weather doesn't matter at all.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

Belated congratulations to the new Riflemen, the new Oranges and Blue hat, and our newest Red Hat! Huzzah!  ^:)^

Knowing most of you, it is especially pleasing to hear such a fine report.

Sad to have missed such an epic Riley shoot...  :(  But I'll see you all on the line soon.  ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0