News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Icicleseed Hinckley, Mn.

Started by sparks1, November 27, 2010, 10:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

Our first Icicleseed (Winterseed) officially today.

High temps in the low to mid 20's above zero, sunny , hardly any wind. Beautiful day.
Hot chocolate available during breaks and had a little heater in the porta-john, courtesy of Aftermath.

great bunch of shooters...all came with a desire to learn and get off the couch. Oh yeah.

Our first rifleman/woman...and she's from Iowa. Congratulations Tammy. 210 on the only AQT of the day...but we did not douse her with water. What's the ruling on that??? LOL

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

JustJeff

Wooo Hoo!!! Congrats Tammy!!!!! 
I heard about this earlier from Milt:
QuoteI gotta brag a little while I'm here, got a report from my sisters who are attending their first Appleseed.  I guess that they are in the middle of one of those real winterseeds.  But anyway, she gets her patch on her first AQT and calls me up to ask " whats the big deal with this shoot'in stuff".  Check it out on the Hinckely MN AAR when it comes out.

I suppose it must run in the family  ::)   :bow:  O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

colycat

Looks like fun :) Yes, I can see people smiling in the pictures.  Great job on getting the first winterseed patch in MN, Tammy!!!!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

duc-dog

Looking at those pictures remind me why I moved to New Mexico.  Proud of you Tammy!!!!  Remember that patch is just the first step.
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

sparks1

We have another Icicleseed coming up in a few weeks...Ya'll come on up and get the coveted patch that REALLY should be earned in a northern state. I mean the banana belt like Ill., Iowa, Mo. doesn't have a real winter. LOL

Seriously, it was and is great fun. Challenging though, to try and get into positions with all the cold weather gear on. Heck...I had the dickens of a time trying to demo sitting positions. I told my wife I need to get into shape, her reply was ROUND IS a shape. gotta love her.

More tomorrow..I gotta get some sleep.

(John Maxwell)

Old Glory!

Sparks said:   Our first rifleman/woman...and she's from Iowa. Congratulations Tammy. 210 on the only AQT of the day...but we did not douse her with water. What's the ruling on that??? LOL

I think the official Appleseed policy for a 210 at a winterseed would be..... SNOWBALL FIGHT!   >:D

..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:..

Congratulations Tammy!  Orange hats go well with Carharts. ^-^

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

oladcock

Congrats Tammy from sunny and balmy NM! It's only been in the teens here with no snow so don't let Duc-Dog fool ya! :) Now do it again, take that orange hat and help us bail! Yes, I think a Snowball made with North Bridge water is needed....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Strawberry Roan

Big congratulations to Tammy!  Now you just need the pink "shoot like a girl" hat and then a red hat!  Doncha know there's a brother running around in NM with some buttons popped off his chest!   ^:)^

sparks1

I'm baaaaaaaack ...and with some more select photos.

Another great Appleseed...I want to say THANKS to all the shooters this weekend. What a great opportunity to meet some motivated Americans.
(and without further ado...here's the pics. (Did not get the final rifleman/woman, as my camera froze. Never thought it possible with a digital)

Trevor getting his patch...good work.

Jennifer and son, Sheridan (sp)a young patriot. See you both in the spring...after much dry firing !

Lunch break

The line Sunday afternoon with Aftermath prowling for shooters needing correction. (Hah)

Our shootboss delegating responsibility.

I had a great time    hope you did too !

(John Maxwell)

Taylor

Congratulations to Joyce (a.k.a. Mrs. Taylor) for pulling out a 210 on the las AQT of the shoot. No pics as I am the last guy on earth still using 35mm disposable cameras.

Working on selling her an orange hat as I type this.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

sparks1

Yup...congratulations to Joyce. Well done.

Taylor...theres got to be a way to scan it and digitalize it and upload it. maybe AdamT has one.

(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

O'ha!  Another excellent Appleseed, indeed!

And to think, there were critics out there!  While normally I would  &) and shout 'I told you so!'
But the reality is; I was a little skeptical myself...  Though I never doubted the feasibility; I had my concerns as to how many would show.
But I was delighted to find we greeted nine shooters on Saturday morning!  Heck, that's about average for Hinckley!
The shooters came from all around and smiles abundant!
This hearty group paid no mind to the bitterly cold conditions, and made quick progress!

I have long held the hypothesis that the further you travel to get to an Appleseed, the better you do.
Tammy proved to be no exception!  Traveling all the way from IA; to score 210 on her first ever AQT!
How common is that?  Now that I think about it.... Ah... Nevermind....  There could be no conspiracy ::).
Congratulations!

Old Glory;  I can't believe I didn't think of the snow!  It was too cold to make snowballs; but we coulda scooped some up!
              OK, well, the first three 210's got lucky.  However, for anyone else choosing to break through with a 210-  >:D

All nine shooters persevered through the elements until the very end of Saturday.  Then, on Sunday......

THEY CAME BACK FOR MORE!!!

Along with five new cold weather hackers!

Sunshine Patriots- NO WAY!!!

Well, the sun was shining; but that only served to add a new element to the mix - Wet!
While wetness is the catalyst of cold; we were prepared!  Well, perhaps I lacked the appropriate layer; but I'm not that vital!

Trevor, another first time Appleseeder managed to squeeze in that expert score Sunday afternoon, he'll probably make 250 next time.
Remember, the patch is merely the beginning of the journey!

Cold is not the only issue facing WinterSeeders in MN.  Time is ever more precious, as the sun sets at about 16:30 this time of year.  And a tall treeline only adds to this component.  When we realized that our timeshare of illumination could only allow for only two more AQTs - we hit them with all we had, were able to get through three!  It was a fortunate turn of events too!  As Joyce, who'd been dying for the Patch ever since Gordon, WI., shot her best AQT score ever.  However, just as we bent time running that third AQT; she bent time in order to stay for it.  As we scored her target; not once, not twice, but three times; she was packing up.  After all that hard work, she nearly went home without her patch!  But we caught her just in time.  Congratulations Joyce!  I see orange and/or blue in your future. ;)

I'd like to say thanks to the Hinckley Conservation Club and their great support of our fledgling MN Appleseed program.

Great thanks to the shooters!  I'm proud of what you've accomplished this weekend.  And I look forward to seeing you progress along the Appleseed Trail!  It wouldn't be Appleseed without you!  Take care and dryfire!  

>>Practice doesn't make perfect - Perfect practice makes perfect!<<

Instructors were great!  Even Alex did a fine job ::) (No, I haven't started speaking in the third-person, yet -- The other Alex)  
Boarder Raiders are more than welcome here in the Land of 10,000 Appleseeds!

And Whisker, what can I say; but congratulations on running another excellent shoot upon the frozen tundras of Minnesota!

Well, I'll see you all in December!  Yeah, it's only two weeks away, so...

'Your IcicleSeed preparation period begins NOW!'

Aftermath

p.s.  Ian, you know when you finally get around to scoring Rifleman; I'll let you have one of those orange hats that are in my box.  That oughta make it a little easier to carry to and fro.  Thanks!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

POP

Gee, Aftermath, the temp in Hinckley has been in the 40's since 11a.m. this morning.
That hardly qualifies as a Winterseed, much less an Icicleseed.  **) **) **)

Of course, single digit temps Saturday morning to start off with ... well, I'm not sure 'ole POP could function as a POPcicle!   **) **) **)

Great Pics.  I'm putting a Winter Season Hinckley Shoot on my Bucket List. 

Congrats Tammy, Trevor, and young Sheridan  O0... and, shooters and instructors alike for braving the cold and snow to honor our nation's founders.  Just think about Washington at Valley Forge.  Winterseeds like this one at Hinckley are may be as close as we will ever get to those horribly cold conditions ... we should reflect on their sacrifice when take a nice warm shower, eat a hot meal, and crawl into a nice warm bed.

Thank you all for causing me to reflect on same.  Again, the great pics are what got me started on this post.  Here in the South, we very rarely experience anything like this weekend at Hinckley.
Goodnight.  God Bless You All.   @)
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

AFTERMATH

QuoteGee, Aftermath, the temp in Hinckley has been in the 40's since 11a.m. this morning.  That hardly qualifies as a Winterseed, much less an Icicleseed.
Sure, says the guy down in Texas watching the weather reports from the cozy warm comfort of a walled structure. >:D
I didn't call it an IcicleSeed; but I shall defend to the death, its right to be called a Winterseed! @)
Truth be told, on the range(7 miles from from the beacon that sits in full sun) it did start getting there just before lunch, and we discussed the validity of the WS patch, should it get any warmer.  But then, just as it had warmed, the temperature began dropping again right after lunch.  A nice intermission though! **)

Now, the one in December will almost assuredly be an IcicleSeed!
Come on up!  Instructors are permitted to camp at the range!  Adamt and I are workin' out the possibility.
I believe we may even provide for everyone there the 'sumptuous feast' that congress granted the Continentals the day before they took up residence in valley forge(and after 3-4 days of nothing)!  -'half a gill(about 1/2 cup) of rice and a tablespoon of vinegar!'

We do have it good, don't we!

Stay cool POP! ..:..

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

colycat

Man, it looks like you all had a much better weekend than I did.  Wish I could have been there.

BTW,  Havent heard from many of the shooters yet.  Come on Guys, you all have internet and believe it or not,  this is the modern version of Paul Reveres message tree.  Can you muster 1400?

You can here ;)

So what do you think about the crazy idea of shooting in the winter?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Quote from: colycat on November 29, 2010, 02:56:59 AM
Well, it certainly gives an apreciation for the 'hot and balmy, riviera of the north.' (WI) O0

Taylor

OK. Joyce wants to step up and join her IIT husband. I didn't twist her arm (too much). After she gets on the forum, then what? Thanks.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Taylor on November 29, 2010, 06:38:28 PM
OK. Joyce wants to step up and join her IIT husband. I didn't twist her arm (too much). After she gets on the forum, then what? Thanks.

Huzza!  Have her send Whisker and I a PM. O0
Well, she could probably let the rest of the WI folks know as well!   :P

Old Glory!

Quote from: AFTERMATH on November 29, 2010, 06:43:11 PM
Quote from: Taylor on November 29, 2010, 06:38:28 PM

Huzza!  Have her send Whisker and I a PM. O0
Well, she could probably let the rest of the WI folks know as well!   :P

Welcome Joyce!   We're happy to have you and Mr. Joyce. ;D   We'll be in LaCrosse next weekend if you would like to join us; even if for just a day.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Taylor

We are arm wrestling right now over Mr. Joyce vs. Ms. Taylor.

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

DewDrinker

Believe it or not out of the 3 apple seed's i have been to including this one it was on of my favorite's! Needless to say I will be going to the one in December. I have been learning a lot guy's thanks for helping me out I have improved with my shooting a lot. your really starting to  ~~:) me in shape!!! thumb's up!

Puma Mami

BTW,  Havent heard from many of the shooters yet.  Come on Guys, you all have internet...
<snip>

I think shooting in winter in Minnesota makes good sense. Hunters do it. If you plan to hunt small game with .22s in winter, or do the muzzleloader deer season, shooting outside all day is a good way to prepare.

Appleseed motivated me to finally wear polypropylene, a snow bib, and real snow boots, and try being out all day for the first time. It went well! I'm originally from New Orleans, so it was kind of a big step. Took me 20 years in Minnesota and a 13-year-old very enthused about shooting sports to get me to try it. We did the DNR firearms safety class last summer, and then scheduling worked out best to do Appleseed last weekend. We didn't realize it would just be our "first" Appleseed with more to follow.

You definitely need to have the right gear to do Winterseed safely in Minnesota. Sheridan's Boy Scout troop leaders told us they have the most trouble with hypothermia at Snow Base if the temps are warmer (25-40 degrees) because people either get wet from melty snow, or get too hot, sweat, and get wet that way, then they get very, very cold. Sunday was a bit treacherous that way. It was colder Saturday, but easier to stay dry and warm.

Sheridan says, "I think it's kind of practical to have Winterseed because in Minnesota it's mostly winter, and that's when you're going to be hunting. So why only practice in the summer?" Sheridan said he thought Appleseed was "pretty fun," he improved quite a bit, and he's looking forward to returning next spring O0. He got very cold on Saturday, but after a hot meal, a hot bath, and lots of sleep [and a bit more supervision on what he wore], he did fine on Sunday. We both got pretty tired out and sore, but I guess that's where the dry firing practice will be helpful.

I really enjoyed the stories. Sheridan is taking American History, and I was glad he heard some things they don't normally teach at school. He is passionate about shooting sports, and I'm all for anything that's a real, constructive skill and gets him off of video games and screen time!  ;D  So I really liked the anti-apathy message at Appleseed.

Thanks to all the instructors! You guys are very friendly and patient, knowledgeable, positive, helpful. I think if everyone learned to shoot at Appleseed they would be much happier about shooting sports and a lot more people would be involved. The atmosphere and the stories were great. I can definitely see why people want to come back again and again, and why attendance goes up each year. It's such a positive experience, even in the frozen north with 3 degree wind chill to start with!

We will try to bring some of my friends with us next time. They sort of balked at a winter one...and the holidays are a busy time, too.

I've attached a few photos here from Sunday.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

The Machine

Way to go MN! What a nice start to the "real" Winterseed season. Congratulations on that special Rifleman patch Tammy!  O0

I can't wait to read the AARs when the Valley Forge conditions kick in up there next month. Matter of fact, you all are in for some fantastic news, the long range winter forecast for your neck-of-the-woods shows below normal temps and above normal precip...AM is such a lucky fella.  ;D  Bring the dry lube and insulated coveralls...
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Puma Mami on November 30, 2010, 12:44:43 AM
BTW,  Havent heard from many of the shooters yet.  Come on Guys, you all have internet...
<snip>

I think shooting in winter in Minnesota makes good sense. Hunters do it. If you plan to hunt small game with .22s in winter, or do the muzzleloader deer season, shooting outside all day is a good way to prepare.

Appleseed motivated me to finally wear polypropylene, a snow bib, and real snow boots, and try being out all day for the first time. It went well! I'm originally from New Orleans, so it was kind of a big step. Took me 20 years in Minnesota and a 13-year-old very enthused about shooting sports to get me to try it. We did the DNR firearms safety class last summer, and then scheduling worked out best to do Appleseed last weekend. We didn't realize it would just be our "first" Appleseed with more to follow.

You definitely need to have the right gear to do Winterseed safely in Minnesota. Sheridan's Boy Scout troop leaders told us they have the most trouble with hypothermia at Snow Base if the temps are warmer (25-40 degrees) because people either get wet from melty snow, or get too hot, sweat, and get wet that way, then they get very, very cold. Sunday was a bit treacherous that way. It was colder Saturday, but easier to stay dry and warm.

Sheridan says, "I think it's kind of practical to have Winterseed because in Minnesota it's mostly winter, and that's when you're going to be hunting. So why only practice in the summer?" Sheridan said he thought Appleseed was "pretty fun," he improved quite a bit, and he's looking forward to returning next spring O0. He got very cold on Saturday, but after a hot meal, a hot bath, and lots of sleep [and a bit more supervision on what he wore], he did fine on Sunday. We both got pretty tired out and sore, but I guess that's where the dry firing practice will be helpful.

I really enjoyed the stories. Sheridan is taking American History, and I was glad he heard some things they don't normally teach at school. He is passionate about shooting sports, and I'm all for anything that's a real, constructive skill and gets him off of video games and screen time!  ;D  So I really liked the anti-apathy message at Appleseed.

Thanks to all the instructors! You guys are very friendly and patient, knowledgeable, positive, helpful. I think if everyone learned to shoot at Appleseed they would be much happier about shooting sports and a lot more people would be involved. The atmosphere and the stories were great. I can definitely see why people want to come back again and again, and why attendance goes up each year. It's such a positive experience, even in the frozen north with 3 degree wind chill to start with!

We will try to bring some of my friends with us next time. They sort of balked at a winter one...and the holidays are a busy time, too.

I've attached a few photos here from Sunday.

See Minnesotans; it's not so bad!

Welcome aboard!  Glad you had a great time!

Aftermath

Taylor

Finally a picture of our third Rifleman/second Riflewoman of the shoot, Joyce/Dicey.

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

AFTERMATH

Well, it's about time!

Just think, if she wouldn't have made it that weekend; she'd have had to come to this last one.
Then her forum name would be Icy!